Male Morgan Question

RogueDragon777

I know I am very late to the game, but I'm doing a first playthrough (more or less) of FE Awakening. Started a game once (many moons ago), but never made it beyond about Chapter 10. I liked the game, but I became overwhelmed with pairing people up.

Right now I'm playing FeMu Robin (Spd+/HP-) married to Chrom.

I have looked at tons of forums concerning optimal matches even though I'm doing a normal run right now, so it's more for fun. However, I am thinking of trying a more difficult run next. 

I know most people recommend Laurent!Morgan with Laurent being the son of Ricken, Libra, Henry, or basically anyone that boosts magic. But I have noticed that most people don't recommend Donnel. 

Could someone explain why Donnel!Laurent!Morgan is not a good choice? I know most people prefer Donny!Kjelle (because Gale force) but so far I have acquired two children (Lucina and Morgan) so I don't know if I even like Kjelle yet. But Morgan is a beast and utterly adorable. I was looking at the growth rates chart, and they seem to imply that Donnel!Laurent!Morgan would be a fairly unstoppable force.

If this is covered, please point me to where. I tried filtering through the posts... but there are a lot and I might have missed it.

Thank you for your time and any help you may provide!

12 minutes ago, RogueDragon777 said:

Could someone explain why Donnel!Laurent!Morgan is not a good choice? I know most people prefer Donny!Kjelle (because Gale force) but so far I have acquired two children (Lucina and Morgan) so I don't know if I even like Kjelle yet. But Morgan is a beast and utterly adorable. I was looking at the growth rates chart, and they seem to imply that Donnel!Laurent!Morgan would be a fairly unstoppable force.

IIRC, it's because Donnel has a lot of negative mods (which practically neuters his potential as a parent; in fact, I think it might be a thing to pass up the chance to get Galeforce in favor of better mods).

Donnel has terrible mods which ruin Laurent's mods while also not passing anything Laurent wants.

Ricken!Laurent or Libra!Laurent are your best bets if you want a really powerful magic male Morgan. Henry can be good too, but Henry tends to be needed to father someone else, plus he comes in when you'd likely would open Laurent's map.

Edited by ChickenWings

If youre interested in trying a Male avatar playthrough the most impressive combo for me is definitely Nowi x Donnel, then Robin (aimed for Dark Knight/Sorcerer), and Nah (as a Dark Flyer from her Pegasus Knight classline she gets from Donnel). Out of that, you can marry Nah with Robin, and end up with an absolute beast of a Morgan, especially as a Dark Flyer. 

5 hours ago, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

If youre interested in trying a Male avatar playthrough the most impressive combo for me is definitely Nowi x Donnel, then Robin (aimed for Dark Knight/Sorcerer), and Nah (as a Dark Flyer from her Pegasus Knight classline she gets from Donnel). Out of that, you can marry Nah with Robin, and end up with an absolute beast of a Morgan, especially as a Dark Flyer. 

Noooooo! That isn't optimal.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Tell that to my Iron Man worthy Morgan.

Subpar Morgan.

Look, the main reason for going a second gen Morgan depends on what role you want Morgan to fulfil.

I'm doing a hard mode Chrom × F!Robin run (my default pairing for F!Robin) because Lucina gets one of her best mothers.

That said pairings are subjective in anything but Apo.  So do whatever you feel is best outside of that.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

On 9/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

That doesn't really sound that impressive because it ruins Nah and probably Morgan as well. Nowi already has a -2 speed modifier, and Donnel's poor modifiers don't help any.

On 9/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, Shadow Mir said:

That doesn't really sound that impressive because it ruins Nah and probably Morgan as well. Nowi already has a -2 speed modifier, and Donnel's poor modifiers don't help any.

Again, it turned out very well the play through I tried it. Maybe it doesn't look good on paper, but FE is more than just numbers. You can have a unit that looks great on paper but is completely screwed over by rng. In my experience, the Morgan I ended up with preformed great. You're experience may be different, but the original thread was just about recommendations. 

On 9/18/2020 at 11:25 AM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Again, it turned out very well the play through I tried it. Maybe it doesn't look good on paper, but FE is more than just numbers. You can have a unit that looks great on paper but is completely screwed over by rng. In my experience, the Morgan I ended up with preformed great. You're experience may be different, but the original thread was just about recommendations. 

Basically you didn't cap kiddo and max them in otherwords.  Because no matter the rng, Morgan will eventually fully cap their stats and numbers are important in Awakening.  A good Morgan parent (not Nowi/Nah, Panne/Yarne, Tiki or Kellam or any of Kellam's kids or Olivia because stats) will trivialise Awakening sure, but going out of your way to make Morgan weak to super effective weaponry is a recipe for disaster.  Giving Morgan horrible max stat mods is worse.

I understand from a casual stand point going for the above charcters, but in a more competitive setting, no, just no.  Apotheosis is not the mode for casual pairings.  You want the most optimal pairings for Lunatic and Lunatic +.  If you want the best Morgan possible, Second Gen parent, preferably anyone but Nah, with fathers other than Kellam.

Sumia!Lucina!Morgan, Gaius!Noire!Morgan, Vaike!Gerome!Morgan, Ricken!Laurent!Morgan as some examples.  Those are the better Morgans, Lucina gives female Morgan Aether to abuse and Ricken!Laurent gives Morgan one of the highest magic stats in the game, with Vaike!Gerome giving one of the highest strength stats.

Numbers do talk in the more difficult modes, and they're important.

And I'm happy to oblige with an example.

My latest F!Robin is -HP and I can't tell you how many times she died just because of her low HP and the rng.  She stopped dying when I slapped her up to level 20 and second sealed her to a pegasus knight.

The same could be said of a Morgan.  But hey, casual is fine.  Anything goes on casual.