General Sportsball 2020-21 (Bubbles everywhere)

Moblin Major General

Given certain (not so) recent events, I figured I would be the one to introduce this iteration of our wonderful yearly pastime.

It should be said that we should still be civil with each other when discussing football. Even if certain people in the football fandom are gone from the community, we have to be mindful of how we conduct ourselves.

To kick off actual conversation, I believe if the Titans perform all year as they did in the latter half of last season, I think they will comfortably take the AFC South. 

Edited by Hylian Air Force
Added tags

i never thought i'd say this but it feels good to have the reigning mvp

EDIT: Also, fuck Skip Bayless. Dak's brother committed suicide earlier this year and Dak talked about how he had no idea that his brother was depressed and that maybe he didn't provide enough shelter for him to talk about his emotions. He also talked about how COVID is affecting everyone's mental health.

Dak also said that he wants to be more emotionally honest and open with his feelings to help encourage others to do so as well. Things to that effect, so people can get help. It's a good sign in a leader! It's actually a great sentiment to share, and a wonderful message!

Anyway, Skip Bayless the hot takes cracker cunt, said:

“I have deep compassion for clinical depression, but when it comes to the quarterback of an NFL team, you know this better than I do, it’s the ultimate leadership position in sports, am I right about that?” Bayless said on “Undisputed” on Thursday. “You are commanding an entire franchise… And they’re all looking to you to be their CEO, to be in charge of the football team.

“Because of all that, I don’t have sympathy for him going public with, ‘I got depressed’ and ‘I suffered depression early in COVID to the point that I couldn’t even go work out.’ Look, he’s the quarterback of America’s team.”

What the fuck even is the purpose of saying this? Jesus fucking Christ, why are people so rash about their hot takes?

Here's Terrell Suggs calling Skip a douchebag, if anyone wants a little release.

Edited by Lord Raven

this goes beyond anything he's done prior and he really needs to be cancelled by this point

remember this is the guy who decided it was a good idea in the 90s to speculate about troy aikman's sexuality for the purposes of selling a book and nothing more

6 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

this goes beyond anything he's done prior and he really needs to be cancelled by this point

remember this is the guy who decided it was a good idea in the 90s to speculate about troy aikman's sexuality for the purposes of selling a book and nothing more

Yeeeeeeesh.

Also heard Cris Collinsworth did some virtue-signaling last night with the silence before including at the end "let's just get that out of the way and go call a football game", so there's another culprit for y'all.

Daily reminder that Baker Mayfield has a team while Colin Kaepernick hasn't.

Dude is a bum. Of course, the Browns are also a horrible, horrible team with one very good player in OBJ, but your QB is obviously going to be in the spotlight.

53 minutes ago, Яei Яei said:

Daily reminder that Baker Mayfield has a team while Colin Kaepernick hasn't.

Dude is a bum. Of course, the Browns are also a horrible, horrible team with one very good player in OBJ, but your QB is obviously going to be in the spotlight.

this could not be more of a garbage take

first off, Colin Kaepernick hasn't even been healthy since 2016, if he were signed onto a team then whatever NFL team signs him would be harassed for virtue signalling after they cut him. Kaepernick was a 1-2 read running qb who had no touch and as he aged his game broke down. That's problem #1 with your take. Kaepernick's peak passing was nowhere near as good as Mayfield's. Potentially is 100% there with Mayfield.

Now, Baker Mayfield's rookie year passing... broke the rookie TD record and made the Browns respectable. he wasn't even bad against us until the second half when it was all out of hand, and this is his fourth head coach in three years. With the coaching highlights of fucking Freddie Kitchens, Hue Jackson (you know? the guy who was 1-31 going into Mayfield's rookie year????), and Gregg Williams, as well as no preseason with Stefanski... problem #2 with your take.

Browns are not horrible. They have stellar DL and safeties (their run defense was very good against us, if you watched the game, and we have the best run game in the league). OBJ is a fucking bum, not Baker; this dude had 10 targets, 3 catches for 22 yards, and he dropped like 2 balls straight into his hands. And 2 of his targets he was held down pretty hard. But OBJ's more or less given up. Problem #3.

Problem #4 -- that offensive skill group is stacked, but that OL is garbage. Jarvis Landry, David Njoku, Austin Hooper, Joel Bitonio, Kareem Hunt, and Nick Chubb off the top of my head -- that's really good.

And finally, that game was close until their kicker left 4 points on the field, the Browns went for an obvious ass fake punt deep in their territory, and OBJ had one of the worst drops I have ever seen. Problem #5.

You want me to keep going? I fucking hate the Browns, but this is just an objectively horrible hot take. They were pretty unfortunate to be in the position they were in, and they made one dumb mistake that gave us enough time to score late in the 2nd to put the game completely away. They were moving on us very well for 2 entire quarters before we ended up taking a 24-6 lead (and that game would've been 17-13 at half if their kicker were worth a shit). It pretty much sounds like you didn't watch the game, nor did you follow the NFL in any of the past 3 years.

Also, Freddie Kitchens is legit one of the most incompetent head coaches I've seen in a long ass time and their talent basically brute forced them into 5 wins last year or whatever it was. Any semblance of decent coaching and they're an 8-8 or 9-7 team two years removed from 0-16.

EDIT: and seriously, if you can only name OBJ as their best player (LMFAO btw) then you like...  don't know anything about that team. Myles Garrett is definitely their best player, and if not Myles Garrett then it's Denzel Ward. The Browns have an incredibly good DL, top 5-10 in the league, with some very strong cornerback play.

Edited by Lord Raven

That's fair. Every game I saw, he was just very, very bad.

Let's hope he can outperform Burrow tomorrow.

Edited by Яei Яei

My bad for the aggressiveness. The football fan in me really prefers accurate measurements. I yelled at a Ravens fan today for saying "we're gonna blow out the Texans." It's week 1, and we haven't even had a preseason. I don't care for jumping the gun on judgment.

But when Freddie Kitchens had a tendency to trash game plans and call plays they never practiced... all it tells me is that last year was a complete waste for Baker's career. Article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2865908-report-freddie-kitchens-browns-oc-todd-monken-have-disconnect

I was born in Lions country, so...

...Think I'll stick to baseball for the time being.

EDIT: Also screw Skip Bayless, but I guess that's what happens when your job is being an obtuse contrarian.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Addendum.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, Integrity said:

the problem is that kirk is gonna be angry

and when kirk gets angry he gets hungry

You know the problem with Kirk Cousin's insatiable appetite sometimes, Ike? Sometimes he just gets stuffed #TitanUp

Actually, what do you all say to making this a general sports thread? Considering any time someone makes a non-NFL topic it just falls off, and we can chat about multiple sports going-ons in one post.

i'm down but i'm not op

4 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

unlike mark andrews, who seems to hate catching shit against the chiefs

holy fuck i missed this post

Edited by Integrity