Character requests you find overrated, reasonably rated, and underrated

Perkilator

If you've ever had an opinion on requests for certain characters, you can least about 15 characters you can think of (5 overrated, 5 reasonably rated, and 5 underrated). Here are mine, in no particular order.

Top 5 Overrated

• #5: Rillaboom (Pokemon Gen VIII)
    • I'm pretty neutral on Rillaboom myself. It's moreso that people only want it to fill a Grass-type starter quota that was technically already filled by Ivysaur.
  • #4: Spring Man (ARMS)
    • Nothing against the guy, I love him as a character. He's moreso "overrated" in the sense that people can't accept that Assist Trophies don't get promoted in the same game as being an Assist Trophy (hence the reason I pined for Min Min).
  • #3: Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
    • I've never played SMRPG, so I've no personal attachment to him. I just simply wanna see more support for characters other than him.
  • #2: Master Chief (Halo)
    • I understand that he's an important gaming figure, but he's never made a true appearance on a Nintendo console. Halo was going to get a DS game, but that got canned, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't count.
  • #1: Waluigi
    • Again, nothing against him or his fans. I just find him "overrated" for the same reason as Spring Man.
  • Honorable Mention: Urshifu (Isle of Armor)

Top 5 Reasonably Rated

• #5: Crash Bandicoot
    • He's an iconic character who was on multiplatform long before his hiatus from 2008-2017. At this point, I don't see Vol. 2 ending without him (not denying that, hypothetically, it could).
  • #4: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
    • Disney could be a roadblock. but they still did say they were okay with it. Plus, KH3 made the series mainstream enough that even casual gamers who played it might recognize him if and when he gets announced.
  • #3: Bandana Dee (Kirby)
    • His fans can get annoying, yes, but the demand is pretty justified. The fact that Ultimate barely has any modern Kirby content is a little sad, so hopefully Dee can fix all that. Plus, he'd "complete" the quartet the Return to Dream Land established.
  • #2: Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) don't tell [USER=254250]@Cutie Gwen[/USER] 
    • May have been too late for base game consideration, but being Spirited and Mii'd shouldn't be much of a roadblock, if any. Personally, Rex seems like a natural fit for Vol. 2 since ARMS also got that luxury.
  • #1: Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
    • Like Bandana Dee, she'd be all that's needed to properly "complete" the Donkey Kong series' roster. Anything else is just a cool bonus.
  • Honorable Mention: Rayman

Top 5 Underrated (more of a wishlist from me)

• #5: Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
    • It's a pretty big series in Japan, especially for one that's only sold 4.5 million units in total. You can have your Arles and your Kiryus, but Sakura's just as logical a choice as any, IMO. Plus, Smash lacks a proper samurai-like character on the playable roster (sorry, Lyn).
  • #4: Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
    • Bandai-Namco's current best-selling franchise (thanks mainly to Dark Souls 3), and yet the Smash community doesn't even give it the time of day. I understand concerns about translating Dark Souls gameplay to Smash, but Source Gaming might convince you otherwise. It certainly convinced me.
  • #3: Dig Dug (or, as he's better known, Taizo Hori)
    • Another iconic Namco IP that people sweep under the rug because it's not Lloyd or Heihachi or KOS-MOS. There's plenty of potential that a fellow arcade star could bring (and don't laugh, because we know Sakurai isn't gonna go for you-know-what).
  • #2: Scorbunny (Pokemon Gen VIII)
    • Remember when I placed Rillaboom in overrated? That doesn't mean I don't want a Pokemon at all. I mainly want Scorbunny because it'd be interesting as a tiny soccer player-type character. Plus, it's bunny. And bunnies are cute. Therefore, it's too cute to not be in Smash.
  • #1: Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure)
    • Yeah, it got Spirited, who cares? It's still a game I massively enjoyed since I got it for Christmas 2019 and poured literally hours into. Contrary to popular belief, Trainee themselves would be greatly different from  from the Ring alone.
  • Honorable Mention: Euden (Dragalia Lost)

Overrated:

Sora. So many people want to see Sora in Smash, but I dont think he would be the right choice, personally.  Plus KH has many better choices (Aqua, Roxas, etc). 

Edelgard. Another character I dont really think would be a great choice, and that's from someone who doesn't mind alot of FE characters in game!

Underrated:

Rex. Rex has so much potential for Smash, considering XC 2's vast options for him. Plus him being a spirit means nothing as well.

Will probably post more thoughts later.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Aqua

LMAO 
more seriously, KH is not ARMS, there is a main character, and that's Sora: it wouldn't bring them any good to add an objectiely lesser known KH character such as Aqua
Roxas could be a potential pick, but again, he's not Sora, he's just very popular

anyway, "over/underrated" are not words i'd use for this kind of threads, so i'll use "un/reasonable" instead

Reasonable:
-Sora, since Disney already stated they are open to the idea, should there be enough demand (and i think there's more than enough): the only problem is if Nintendo actually approaced Disney and Square to make it happen;

-Rex & Pyra/Mythra, they honestly have more chances now than in 2018, with Min Min's inclusion: the only thing that makes me wonder if they'll actually make it in is that Rex bonus costume you get when purchasing Fighter Pass Vol.1, i really don't know if something like that could undermine the actual Rex's inclusion

-Gen 8 Pokémon (either Rillaboom, Cinderace or Urshifu), we all know it's bound to happen, it's just a matter of time

Unreasonable:
-2B, as much as it pains me to say this, but she's simply not "for good boys and girls" enough, although she's one of my dream picks

Edited by Yexin

6 hours ago, Yexin said:

LMAO 
more seriously, KH is not ARMS, there is a main character, and that's Sora: it wouldn't bring them any good to add an objectiely lesser known KH character such as Aqua
Roxas could be a potential pick, but again, he's not Sora, he's just very popular

and Chrom wasn't added right away in Smash 4 despite being a main character. If your going to be dismissive of an idea, instead of being rude, maybe consider someone else's PoV first?

This is a thread about opinions, y'know.

Edited by lightcosmo

Overrated

Geno - appearing in one half-decent RPG fron the 90s isn't good enough. He doesn't deserve it, and he's a perfect candidate for a premium mii costume. People talk about him because they've been talking about him.

Golden Sun rep - I think this one's pretty much died in speculation. Golden Sun had one moderately successful game and has since withered and rapidly died. This one hurts.

Bandana Waddle Dee - 4th player or not, he's a glorified mook. And 4th place isn't even a bronze medal.

Walluigi - should stay in Mario sports games where he belongs.

Any Koei rep - the game's high presence of Capcom characters pretty much rules out Koei's participation. Koei and Capcom have a long history of animosity and litigation. Sorry, Ryu Hyabusa fans - I'd like to see him too.

Underrated

Falcom rep - a JRPG company on the rise. YS VIII Lacrimosa of Dana put them in the mainstream, the Trails series is a rising modern day cult classic, and their presence on Nintendo platforms is rising. Adol, Dana, Estelle, and Rean are all strong candidates.

2B - her game is a modern day masterpiece and her design isn't a barrier when light cosmetic changes have been made to existing characters for similar reasons. We already have prevalent cases of "upskirt censoring," and if Bayonetta can get in, so can 2B. 

Travis Touchdown - he's become pretty synonymous with Nintendo, and he's a pretty decent darkhorse candidate.

Blazblue or Guilty Gear rep - another character from a fighting game franchise isn't unlikely, and these are some of the more popular fighting game franchises. They're at least on par with Terry.

Darkstalkers rep - the recent "leak" of Maximoff is highly unlikely to be real. But it did get me thinking. Darkstalkers is a fighting franchise with some legacy, and Capcom really does like representing it in its own crossover fighters. With how much prefential treatment Capcom gets in Smash... why not?

Reasonably Rated

Crash and/or Spyro - there isn't a universe in which one or both of these characters don't belong in Smash.

Pokemon Gen 8 rep - it would be extremely boring and I don't want it. But... it's damn near inevitable.

Tales rep (Lloyd or Yuri) - Tales is probably the 3rd most popular/iconic JRPG franchise. And with the two other pillars of mainstream JRPGs in (FF and DQ), Tales seems like one of the most likely franchises to make a Smash debut.

Rex/Pyra - I think expectations are about where they should be. Neither very likely nor unlikely. They're a contender without being a frontrunner.

Dante - probably the most likely additional Capcom rep, with Monster Hunter not far behind. I think at least one Capcom rep will appear in the pack.

Eww, No

Any mobile game rep, looking at you Euden or Granblue rep.

Fortnite rep

Minecraft Steve

Ringfit Adventure

49 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

and Chrom wasn't added right away in Smash 4 despite being a main character.

chrom wasn't added in Smash 4 because Sakurai wanted more female characters, and since lucina was and still is much more popular than him, they picked her instead
also i could argue that Robin, Chrom and Lucina are all main characters, but that's completely subjective

If your going to be dismissive of an idea, instead of being rude, maybe consider someone else's PoV first?

i mean yes, but what could the PoV of someone saying "Aqua is a better choice for Smash than Sora" even be, aside from pure personal preferences?
and even if Sakurai really wanted to pick a KH-original female character, who could he pick? Kairi? Xion? honestly they all suck as characters (Kairi still has to redeem herself from 10 games of being utterly useless, Xion is barely decent, Aqua's personality is as strong as that of a naked, blank mannequin), and would probably cause a huge uproar

i'm not saying you aren't allowed to want Aqua instead of Sora, i'm just saying that thinking he'd be a better pick than Sora is simply unreasonable, no matter the PoV
but hey, you do you

and Chrom wasn't added right away in Smash 4 despite being a main character. If your going to be dismissive of an idea, instead of being rude, maybe consider someone else's PoV first?

This is a thread about opinions, y'know.

that's right, and you have every right to voice yours, just as i do
i'm sorry if i came across as rude, that wasn't my intention, and yes i could've kept that LMAO for myself tbh

29 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

2B - her game is a modern day masterpiece and her design isn't a barrier when light cosmetic changes have been made to existing characters for similar reasons. We already have prevalent cases of "upskirt censoring," and if Bayonetta can get in, so can 2B. 

well, you have to consider that bayonetta's "outfit" is very form-fitting, so all they had to do was reducing the amount of showing skin during her attacks
this is not 2B's case, since she has a very short skirt and that many of her moves involve her performing any sort of acrobatics
Palutena, Peach and Daisy all have skirts too, but they're much longer and they never do anything like 2B's moves, the only exceptions being Palutena's lap dance taunt and Peach and Daisy's side tilt
Rosalina also has a very long skirt, under which she has like the whole universe, which i honestly find extremely poetical and philosofical

they could give 2B the Mythra/Camilla treatment, but i personally don't like this kind of censorship at all

Edited by Yexin

But your logic was, "main characters always get in". Lucina is not a main character technically. 

So I think anyone has a chance.

Aqua has alot of representation as well, and getting two personal stories in BBSFM aling with 0.2 means that obviously she's a dev favorite. 

Edited by lightcosmo

I don't really see anything being overrated. People like what they like. I'm not convinced that anything is off the table until you get to characters that aren't really associated with video games in the first place. Ask me again for Smash 7 when the biggest, genuine campaigns are held for Shrek and Iron Man while Goku is already in Smash. But there's some I do think are underrated. 

Travis Touchdown: Look, I get No More Heroes is not for anybody. I've been a harsh critic of the series for over a decade now. But the most recent entry is such an interesting dialogue on game design that I finally bought into the cool-aid of Suda 51's vision. It's also noteworthy that the series is currently nintendo exclusive like it was with the first entry. Also he's been rallying for Travis in Smash for years. Even declaring that when he finally meets Sakurai he'll try to talk him into it. And as fate would have it they finally met in person during a launch party for Travis Strikes Again. A story that shocked some fans that assumed they already were acquainted. Suda is in Brawl's credits, but he later revealed that he just lent Nintendo some sound design staff to work on the single player mode and that he personally didn't work on it. I think Travis may be the most likely guest character addition that nobody is talking about.

Nero (from Devil May Cry): Standing in as the series' current protagonist. I'd lose it if Dante got in, but Dante may be the only character out there besides maybe Bayonetta who has too much moveset potential for Smash. You have to condense his moveset into a couple weapons in order to have something that looks and feels authentic in such a simplistic fighter. How did they do it in Marvel? They just gave him everything from DMC1 and 3. With dozens of input commands the player has to memorize. Now that Dante has two more games worth of stuff to consider, it's just too much for a game where the player is only expected to memorize input commands for a few guest characters.

Nero's different though. I've always felt that Nero was a poorly designed action game character. Charging up your sword and guns? Holding a button down while trying to reach other buttons with the same thumb is not intuitive. And even if you do fix the controls, you've still got a character that kind of runs on cooldowns and that's never good design for that sort of game. But in Smash, it works. His charge up gun would be like so many charge projectiles in Smash. The exceed system would be easy to implement and add a unique character gimmick if you can rev it on each successful attack, then get more powerful versions of his special moves. With High Roller and Streak as his obvious Up B and Side B recoveries that travel farther and more aggressively at higher exceed levels. Not so sure about what to do with his DMC5 arms. Having a resource that breaks could be cool, but which devil arms do you choose? Giving Nero the ability to manually switch between Devil Arms would be against the source material. And if that sounds like a dumb restriction, welcome to the DMC5 discourse. I would probably just give him three copies of one particular arm that can break, and comes back on a new stock. Otherwise ignore having another resource management system and just have those moves in his base moveset (Overture is F-Smash, Rawhide is D-Smash, etc). The Devil Arm mechanics in DMC5 are so flawed in my opinion that I don't see a need to represent them faithfully for Smash.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

But your logic was, "main characters always get in". Lucina is not a main character technically. 

So I think anyone has a chance.

i think you're not really getting the point though

you presented the case of Lucina, comparing it to a potential Aqua addition, but they're actually very different

Lucina was not the very first FE character to ever get in Smash, she was added because she's female and because she represented the latest FE entry at the time, along with Robin

as far as i know, it's never happened that a non-protagonist got in Smash as that series's first fighter; Min Min did it, but that's a unique case

Street Fighter's first fighter was Ryu, FFVII's was Cloud, MGS's was Snake, Castlevania's was Simon

i could keep going, but i think i made my point clear; don't really mean to rain on your parade, just saying not to get your hopes for Aqua too high, because if Sora is not even remotely likely to get added, Aqua's chances are basically zero

back on topic, i don't really get why Geno is so requested, even though i played Super Mario RPG as well; yeah, he could have a neat moveset, but eeeh, non really sure why people want him so much to begin with

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

i think you're not really getting the point though

you presented the case of Lucina, comparing it to a potential Aqua addition, but they're actually very different

Lucina was not the very first FE character to ever get in Smash, she was added because she's female and because she represented the latest FE entry at the time, along with Robin

From what you said, it was that: "main characters always get in first". And that wasnt the case there, whether or not she's the first FE character or not.

I'm not expecting anything, but theres nothing wrong with wanting a specific character in, I think. Believing in something is half the fun, rather than "oh it's just another X expected character."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wary of rating any fighter request "overrated" as I feel that's kind of rude and dismissive, like saying "Well I don't think that character you want is worthy, and clearly my opinion matters more than yours." That's just being an arrogant, entitled, elitist snob. Obviously some fighters are more likely than others given popularity and significance, but if the fighter would be allowed by Nintendo, then I wouldn't call them overrated. By the same token, it's hard for me to judge whether a character is underrated. What makes a character underrated? Not getting the exposure and popularity they deserve? At the very least though, I can name some reasonable fighters based on my knowledge of popularity and fandom/industry significance:

1. Crash Bandicoot. I mean c'mon, the guy was an unofficial mascot at one point. He was a rival to Mario and Sonic! And as much as I love having Banjo & Kazooie in there, Crash is without debate more notable and influential than them. Not to mention he's come back stronger than ever thanks to the triple threat of NST, CTRNF, and now Crash 4. Crash is enjoying the most success he's had since the 90s. The Bandicoot is back and bigger than ever; Nintendo and Activision would have to be certifiably N. Sane to leave him out of the Smash bash.
  2. Shantae. There was a time when her chances of getting into Smash were about as good as her chances of getting a sequel, but Shantae did indeed get sequels to the point her popularity has exploded within the past decade and Nintendo themselves have taken notice. Not to mention Shantae's a natural fit for Smash as her own games are sidescrollers where she pulls off fighting moves and uses various magic attacks. She'd bring a little Middle East-inspired flair to a game sorely lacking it, not to mention a kicking soundtrack. Oh, and Spirits don't deconfirm as Min Min demonstrated, so the door's wide open for the Half-Genie Hero now.
  3. X. He has a different weapon selection than Mega Man, and let's be honest, he's cooler than Mega Man. The MMX series is easily as popular as the Classic series, and like its predecessor, it has a rocking soundtrack, a few songs of which are already in the game. If X were added as DLC, they could include even more to go with his own Stage and a selection of new Spirits (the Spirit Board absolutely must look like a stage select, complete with music). X may not be as likely as Dante for Capcom's next rep, but I don't think he's an unreasonable choice, either. Min Min proves that getting a Spirit beforehand doesn't deconfirm, and Chrom's presence in Robin's Final Smash proves FS doesn't deconfirm either.
  4. A Soul Calibur rep. There's a number you could use: Sophitia, Mitsurugi, Xianghua, Siegfried/Nightmare. Talim and Seong Mi-na might be a little too sexy for Smash, and Ivy and Taki definitely are. But no denying that Soul Calibur is one of the foremost fighting game series, up there with Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Mortal Kombat. Link himself guest-starred in the GCN version of SCII. And hey, it's another Namco rep!
  5. Rayman. I mean, he is Ubisoft's mascot and all, and Origins and Legends featured a moveset that feels like it was tailor-made for Smash. Yeah, there are other Unisoft characters they could add like Sam Fisher, Jade, Ezio, or the Prince of Persia, but Rayman is the Ubisoft character.
  6. Lara Croft. Another 90s gaming icon, part of the PS1 pentagon along with Snake, Cloud, Crash, and Spyro. Also one of video gaming's most notable women, alongside Samus Aran and Chun-Li. Square Enix now owns her, so she'd be their third rep in SSBU.
  7. Ryu Hayabusa. Perhaps the most iconic video game ninja, again with a play style that feels perfect for Smash. The one snag to his being included is that KT and Capcom don't get along well due to their history of legal issues, and Capcom has their fingerprints all over the top of SSBU's boss doors, so KT might elect to keep their ninja boy out.

I feel as though Spyro is on the border of reasonable as he's enjoyed some success as well thanks to the Reignited Trilogy and his guest appearance in CTRNF, but there's no denying that Crash comes first for Smash. I also want to put Krystal up there, but her chances are hindered by the fact she's already an Assist Trophy, though I disagree with the notion that an AT can't be promoted to Fighter status within the same game; they could always just disable the AT in battles where the fighter is played, like they do for certain stages. Same for Zero and Shadow the Hedgehog. How did they pass over Zero of all characters!? You know if they announced Zero as DLC, fans would lose their freaking minds. Zero is perfect for Smash, with moves that involve directional inputs. And he's unquestionably more popular than X himself. Shadow should have been included as an Echo Fighter of Sonic; given his popularity, I'm baffled he wasn't first in line after Ken for Echo status. Come SSB6, I hope Sonic can bring a lot more of his friends and foes along.

Sora has the popularity, but Disney's involvement makes that a sticky issue. I swear Nintendo had a rule that characters in Smash have to originate from video games, and Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy most definitely don't qualify. There is a workaround; they could replace all Disney symbology (namely, Mickey Mouse heads) with neutral symbols like hearts or crowns, which would still give it that KH feel. But to edit out the Disney parts is kinda missing the point, I think.

10 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'm wary of rating any fighter request "overrated" as I feel that's kind of rude and dismissive, like saying "Well I don't think that character you want is worthy, and clearly my opinion matters more than yours." That's just being an arrogant, entitled, elitist snob. Obviously some fighters are more likely than others given popularity and significance, but if the fighter would be allowed by Nintendo, then I wouldn't call them overrated. By the same token, it's hard for me to judge whether a character is underrated. What makes a character underrated? Not getting the exposure and popularity they deserve? At the very least though, I can name some reasonable fighters based on my knowledge of popularity and fandom/industry significance:

I think it's really just another way to say "I want to see this character in Smash and not these ones" really. I think you might be over looking that a bit, as it's just for fun. At least, I hope it is?