New Heroes: Despair and Hope

Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, Jotari said:

I could see it happening less as of "they decide to do it" and more of a "they didn't know these things existed at all". Like think about it, Raidant Dawn was released over ten years ago, how many of the staff who worked on it are working on Heroes today? And then, of those, how many of them ever were involved enough to know what changes the overseas localisations made to the game. And then, on top of that, how many of them would bother to retain this information a decade later? It's obvious they go back and check source material when designing units for Heroes, but naturally they're only really going to be checking the Japanese sources. Why should they care at all what the translations did? That's for the people localizing heroes to care about.

This assumes there is no collaboration whatsoever between the Japanese and English teams who work on the game. Given that this is a global server with a significant English playerbase, such is unlikely.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Sunwoo said:

I want a Radiant Dawn Mist with Florete and art not drawn by Miwabe Sakura. 

On 9/19/2020 at 2:02 PM, Othin said:

Sword cavalry Mist with Florete is the one Tellius alt I'd be willing to accept on a New Heroes banner anytime soon.

I'd love to be added to Heroes!

8 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

The only thing Fire Emblem characters with a unique portrait and at least a small amount of importance deserve is eventually being in Feh, since they are Fire emblem characters. This baseline requirement is applicable to all characters in FE, so it is not relevant for the topic at hand. Every FE character deserves to be in FE, but not one character deserves a specific spot on a specific banner. 

My problem with alts isn’t that they steal specific slots, but that they make it take longer until every character is in in some form. Who knows how long FEH will last; if it’s discontinued before every character is added, then it’s undeniable that every alt contributed to having less than full representation.

52 minutes ago, Florete said:

This assumes there is no collaboration whatsoever between the Japanese and English teams who work on the game. Given that this is a global server with a significant English playerbase, such is unlikely.

You mean worked on the current game, Heroes, or the source material, Radiant Dawn? Because yeah, I'm sure some part of collaboration is existent for both, but Radiant Dawn is still a game that's over ten years old, just because they knew back then that the localisation added some prf weapons doesn't mean any one from the Japanese side remembers now. And as far as the collaboration goes now, are there people from the non Japanese division working on selecting who gets in and the creation of characters. It's not really about people knowing, it's about the right people knowing. Maybe the localizers do know, and we'll get a made up prf for Nolan that they'll ignore the Japanese name and translate as Tarvos. That's another possibility too. I'm not saying the Dawn Brigade definitely won't get their prfs, but them not getting it because the developers simply don't know about them does seem possible to me. 

47 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And as far as the collaboration goes now, are there people from the non Japanese division working on selecting who gets in and the creation of characters.

Probably. I know people have a habit of assuming a game is made in Japanese strictly for the Japanese audience and is then localized, and often times that is correct, but it's pretty unlikely to be the case here. Ignoring a major portion of your audience is a pretty bad idea.

Now, I'm not saying that the DB trio will definitely get their weapons when/if they get in the game, but if they don't, it likely won't be "because the JP devs didn't even know about them." They've been known to dig deep into the games for references so I think they deserve more credit than that. Besides, it wouldn't even be the first time Heroes uses something from a localization; Tsubasa states that she is 18 in Heroes despite being 17 in the JP TMS on Wii U.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

Probably. I know people have a habit of assuming a game is made in Japanese strictly for the Japanese audience and is then localized, and often times that is correct, but it's pretty unlikely to be the case here. Ignoring a major portion of your audience is a pretty bad idea.

Now, I'm not saying that the DB trio will definitely get their weapons when/if they get in the game, but if they don't, it likely won't be "because the JP devs didn't even know about them." They've been known to dig deep into the games for references so I think they deserve more credit than that. Besides, it wouldn't even be the first time Heroes uses something from a localization; Tsubasa states that she is 18 in Heroes despite being 17 in the JP TMS on Wii U.

Even if we do have people form the overseas regions working on the game, I don't know if that's even a guarantee they would know about these weapons. It all depends on how the development process of selecting a new character is. And honestly I reckon the vast majority of work when it comes to Heroes is people specialized in marketing, which wouldn't necessary mean the people who worked on the Radiant Dawn localization at all. I think when they did deep for references they're digging deep into their own source material. Does Tsubasa say she's 18 in the Japanese version of Heroes? Or is that just something the localized to be in keeping with the already made localization of TMS? Either way as a much newer game with a more, shall we say, publicized localization job, I could see that being a different situation to Radiant Dawn. I do hope we get their Radiant Dawn prfs, and I no joke would love if Shanty Pete was acknowledged in the Japanese canon and fully implemented in as a character. The prfs are somewhat likely, but that is significantly less likely, still if they do get the prfs I'd remain somewhat hopeful.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Yes.

Interesting, but one needs to consider why they decided to make that change. The obvious answer I think would be the issues they had localizing Tokyo Mirage Sessions over seas, did they also change her age in the Japanese version Tokyo Mirage Sessions remake that was released alongside the characters in Heroes? Because it would be a strange incongruity for a Japanese fan playing both games. 

Ok so you guys probably expected me to scream in excitement over Jill, but I got suspended for two months, so I couldn't do it on here XP I did however manage to get a +10 Jill during that time.

Marvel at her beauty.

I got everyone else on the banner as well during the quest to +10 Jill. I do feel bad for Boyd not being added though.

Edited by Gregster101

29 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Ok so you guys probably expected me to scream in excitement over Jill, but I got suspended for two months, so I couldn't do it on here XP I did however manage to get a +10 Jill during that time.

Marvel at her beauty.

I got everyone else on the banner as well during the quest to +10 Jill. I do feel bad for Boyd not being added though.

Congrats!

Hopefully Boyd will show up soon. He's now the only Greil Merc who doesn't at least have a seasonal.

3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Thanks!

Maybe Boyd will show up on the Halloween banner like Rolf last year?

Yeah, that'd work. I'm guessing it'll be a multi-setting one, if they keep alternating between multi-setting seasonals with Harmonics and single-setting ones with Duos.

Talk about Jill made me realize that we finally have a flier that truly surpasses Cordelia in terms of offensive stats AND Weapon power. Cordelia got Resplendent stats and an extra Flower, so she got 38/38 offensive stat distribution. Jill got 39/40 with a super Asset for Spd. At +Spd+10+10, Cordelia got 42/45 and Jill got 43/48. Talregan Axe is pretty busted compared to Cordelia's Lance.

Edited by XRay

9 minutes ago, XRay said:

Talk about Jill made me realize that we finally have a flier that truly surpasses Cordelia in terms of offensive stats AND Weapon power. Cordelia got Resplendent stats and an extra Flower, so she got 38/38 offensive stat distribution. Jill got 39/40 with a super Asset for Spd. At +Spd+10+10, Cordelia got 42/45 and Jill got 43/48. Talregan Axe is pretty busted compared to Cordelia's Lance.

Honestly I really am glad that Jill is an axe flier instead of lance flier #4786893, because we hadn't gotten a single new axe flier in the regular pool since launch.

Having Jill be a lance flier cuz of her starting out as one in Path of Radiance would've made sense, sure, but it would also just make her blend into the competition. Like, why would you want to build a 5 star locked lance flier when you could build a more easily available 3-4 star lance flier like Cordelia, Catria, Shigure, Clair, Shanna, Thea, or Altena?

In contrast, there's barely any good axe fliers available, which means Jill has less competition in that area, so it really makes me happy that they made Jill an axe flier instead of yet another lance flier.

Edited by Gregster101

11 hours ago, Othin said:

Hopefully Boyd will show up soon. He's now the only Greil Merc who doesn't at least have a seasonal.

Not counting Elena, of course. She was one of the original ones (alongside her husband.)