Caspar needs his own paralogue

Plastic Frog

Caspar needs his own paralogue  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Caspar needs his own paralogue.

• Yes
    • No

I don't understand why he shares one with Mercedes when they don't even have a support chain. Man I was stuck on BL maddening since I didn't use Caspar at all and I really wanted to finish that paralogue for the extra scenes on AM. Caspar should have his own paralogue. I think one where Caspar could confront his dad and older brother on the battlefield would be very interesting. It was really a missed opportunity that we never got the chance to meet Count Bergliez on all 4 routes.

For non-CF routes, we can have something like "Count Bergliez is leading an army to ambush Garreg Mach from maybe one of the western kingdom cities and now you must move out to fight him. Caspar volunteers to go because he's scared that his dad is so powerful and strong that anyone else confronting his dad will definitely get destroyed."

For CF, it can be about "houses loyal to the kingdom/alliance are rebelling and have trapped Count Bergliez and his forces in one of the conquered cities where Count Bergliez is stationed and now Caspar volunteers to lead your army to save him" kind of stuff. Maybe we can even have an easter egg where Lindhardt's dad will show up at the celebration, worried about his "friend/rival" and comes to check on him.

I didn't bother with that map on my AM maddening run, because I didn't feel like messing with Caspar. There are a bunch of paralogues with characters that don't support which is weird, they add extra story which is cool. For this one I guess its because the Death Knight is involved and Caspar would be under his command if he wasn't recruited. That's also weird because Jeritza and him don't support in CF for whatever reason.

That map would be more bearable if it was Mercedes and Byleth stuck at the top. And that hypothetical Caspar paralogue could be on the Enbar map, so you can have a chance of getting Dorothea's battalion as well.

I feel like most post time skip paralogues should be solo except for Bernie and Petra because they require you to recruit someone else, when story wise it’s probably better not to do so (and the game doesn’t even tell you about the easiest recruitment method). Count Bergliez definitely should have shown up, so I agree that this is a good idea for his own paralogue. If we’re taking away not same house paired paralogues then we could even move Linhardt over to this one and throw in his dad because of their rivalry type thing.

I like the idea of post-skip paired paralogues, and I think 3H got a good balance of paired and single paralogues, and in general got the number of paralogues right. But if the paralogues are with pairs, those pairs really should support - when they don't, it just feels like one character is less integrated into the paralogue than the other. Jeritza giving Caspar, of all people, the Scythe of Sariel if Caspar beats him is strange, precisely because Caspar has no proper ties to Mercedes. I kinda would have loved to see Annette get it (although her paralogue with Gilbert makes more narrative sense) but it really should have been someone Mercedes supports with for that paralogue. 

As for Caspar, sharing a paralogue with Linhardt/meeting his family would have been cool (and Count Bergliez is so hyped up), but I saw in a devs interview that they never planned to reveal the likes of Count Bergliez and Holst from the start. Maybe a paralogue with/against Randolph in the pre-skip instead?

I agree with it, though there are many things that have been missed imo. HELLO Ladislava and Randolph or even Fleche, as well as Judith and Rodrigue. At least the last one as a reason, still they would have been cool late party characters. 

The main reason I’d want a Caspar paralogue is to answer the question of what crest his family supposedly bears. We know his brother and presumably father have a crest, but we have no way of knowing what crest that is. My guess would be Macuil, but it’d be nice to know for sure.

3 hours ago, Nagraal said:

HELLO Ladislava and Randolph or even Fleche, as well as Judith and Rodrigue. At least the last one as a reason

Rodrigue kinda needs to die for the plot.

12 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Rodrigue kinda needs to die for the plot.

Yeah, but only for the Blue Lion path. If I'm not wrong, he's killed by Edelgard in Black Eagle, and he's alive with Golden Deer. So I guess he could have been a Golden Deer's character along with Judith. Same for Ladislava, Randolph and Fleche for Black Eagle. Blue Lion already has Gilbert. But as it wouldn't be fair for all path, some could be given to silver snow ; etc.. I don't know, I just feel like those characters should have been limited characters. Maybe i've played too much Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together when I was young 😛 

Caspar having his own paralogue could have been interesting. Though not every paralouge battle involved two people with a support chain. The solo ones that I recall were, Dude, Dimitri, Claude, Edelgard, Hubert, Marianne, Felix, Sylvain, Rhea (non CF) and Lorenz. (Technically Sothis as well but she is not a playable character). Anna also shares one with Jeritza if on Black Eagles route and hers is solo on Blue Lions and Golden Deer. Not available on Silver Snow as far as I'm aware which is odd.

I guess they did have with Caspar and Mercedes because of Caspar wanting to prove he's strong by beating the Death Knight basically and Mercedes want to see her baby brother again. But yea, no support between the two which is strange. I did find interesting that you can only get the Scythe if you actually defeat him which is a really powerful weapon. You get the Lamine Gem regardless if you defeat him or not

Edited by Barren

I think both Caspar and Bernadetta should have gotten their own Paralogues. All they really do in-game is piggyback off of Mercedes and Petra.

Both characters have potential given their personal stories. Caspar's could have been an opportunity given his family, and Bernadetta's home, Varley territory, is never visited in-game plus her own family drama.

Edited by Sentinel07

6 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I think both Caspar and Bernadetta should have gotten their own Paralogues. All they really do in-game is piggyback off of Mercedes and Petra.

Both characters have potential given their personal stories. Caspar's could have been an opportunity given his family, and Bernadetta's home, Varley territory, is never visited in-game plus her own family drama.

That could have been a good idea yea. Plus there would not have been anything wrong with Petra and Mercedes getting their own solo paralogue battle since Petra seeking aid from her people from Brigid and Mercedes confronting her brother as the Death Knight are good side plots on their own

5 hours ago, Barren said:

That could have been a good idea yea. Plus there would not have been anything wrong with Petra and Mercedes getting their own solo paralogue battle since Petra seeking aid from her people from Brigid and Mercedes confronting her brother as the Death Knight are good side plots on their own

Exactly.

I'm good with the Paralogue as-is. Caspar rushing in to help Mercedes confront her brother makes sense with his personality. And whereas Mercedes (in most builds) would have no chance fighting the Death Knight, Caspar can at least stand up to him.

But yeah, Count Bergliez should definitely make an appearance in-game. In AM/VW/SS, fighting him either at Merceus or in Enbarr would make sense. Maybe if Caspar is recruited on AM/VW, he shows up at Fort Merceus in his son's place? And is the default on SS. They could do the same with Count Hevring, in place of Linhardt.

As for CF, you know what? I actually wouldn't be opposed to a new Caspar/Mercedes paralogue, since the one where you fight the Death Knight is unavailable on CF. My version would be set in the Alliance (at the Caledonian Plateau, where VW's endgame is set). Count Bergliez, and a handful of troops, are beleagured by Eastern Church soldiers, who attack because they heard he claimed a Sacred Weapon. Beating this map with enough allied troops alive will grant Mercedes the Tathlum Bow, which was in Count Bergliez's possession.

EDIT: Thinking it over, we could make an even more radical change! Scratch my proposed CF!Caspar/Mercedes logue, now it's a CF!Caspar/Lysithea paralogue. Same general format, but now it's set explicitly in Ordelia territory. Also, the Sacred Weapon in question is the Axe of Ukonvasara instead.

Meanwhile, CF now has a Ferdinand/Mercedes paralogue (these two actually support, by the way). Premise is, Duke Aegir has escaped from house arrest, and has taken refuge with a remnant Church cell in Aegir territory. It's set in the "Empire City" map, and there are two victory conditions - kill Duke Aegir, or block off his escape by siezing several points. You get the Ochain Shield either way, but in the latter, the Church forces also gift you with the Tathlum Bow.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
New ideas.