Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Novelization *NEW* Night of the Ball

Ice_Viking_117

16 minutes ago, Ice_Viking_117 said:

Once you read it, you'll see that I've cut out a lot of story introduction clichés like, waking up, starting with a dream, starting at the end of the story, amnesiac protagonist, etc, but without changing the story too much (as in Robin still does not know that he is Grima; I change much of the story in other places though). World building is something that I think I have struggled with so far in the novelization so I'll be paying more attention to it in these next chapters (I'll be going back and editing mistakes after I finish the first draft.).

I actually like the fact that Robin has amnesia from a thematic perspective. Because one theme awakening heavily leans into is overcoming the past but Robin at the start of the story has no past. He's got amnesia. He doesn't know what his life was like before. He doesn't really have an identity. Grima is that past because Grima is Robin who couldn't escape the past who couldn't defy fate. The whole point is that his past is reflected in Grima. Finally learning of his past is a big revelation in the story. He learns Validar is his father who is a figure of his past and he tries to run away from it. He tries to deny it. It's only when he accepts his past(by killing Grima himself) that he's finally able to overcome his past and be free from it. 

Edited by Ottservia

35 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I actually like the fact that Robin has amnesia from a thematic perspective. Because one theme awakening heavily leans into is overcoming the past but Robin at the start of the story has no past. He's got amnesia. He doesn't know what his life was like before. He doesn't really have an identity. Grima is that past because Grima is Robin who couldn't escape the past who couldn't defy fate. The whole point is that his past is reflected in Grima. Finally learning of his past is a big revelation in the story. He learns Validar is his father who is a figure of his past and he tries to run away from it. He tries to deny it. It's only when he accepts his past(by killing Grima himself) that he's finally able to overcome his past and be free from it. 

You make a good point in the thematic area. In the novelization, I haven't changed that theme, I've only changed the existence of his past. His past is lacking in events and full of fear, depressing in other words. This is because his mother, after escaping Plegia and Validar's grasp, shelters him and only tells him to be afraid of the world and to not venture out into it for fear of being found out as the vessel of Grima. (There are also hints at his mother abusing him but again, they are only hints.) He still learns to accept his past in the end. Instead of Grima being his ONLY past, his past is because of Grima. 

Now, granted I am coming up with a lot of this as I am writing it so many of these ideas will come in in the edits, so thank you for the advice, reminders, tips and overall discussion.

1 hour ago, Deirdre an Bhróin said:

I'll be sure to keep this in mind while reading. I'll also compare and contrast it to what is present in the introduction in Awakening to gage what aspects I'd come to prefer and why. 

It's quite interesting that among all those changes, Robin's amnesia is removed. It makes sense to me in a narrative perspective, as it is a really played out concept, but this is done for a reason. It's a method which builds anticipation towards characters thoughts, and even within Awakening, Robin discovering his past is a pretty large plot point. If you don't mind sharing, why is this aspect changed and how do you intend to address the aspects related to it within the game now in the novel setting? Just saying "it's my personal preference/aesthetic" is a response I'd except btw, as a lot of writers do not wish to engage in cliché's for those same reasons, which I think is valid. I just think an explanation would be interesting/of value, even if you answer with "personal preference."  

To address, I'm 100% in support of you making changes to whatever you wish. It's your work, and not an official product, therefore you should feel unrestrained to include what appeals to you. I'm not saying there is no value in getting advice, critiques, or overall opinions of others, as they will ultimately serve to influence your thoughts and work based on what information you choose to practice in full. Essentially, it's a fanfiction, so don't feel pressured, do you.

Archanea games overall have a rich lore and the most expansive world in FE imo, therefore I think it would be quite easy for you to even seek the previous titles as reference. There is also a lot to discuss when it comes to how the world is constructed in Awakening, and how serenesforest feels about what should be included in that construction, but once again its up to whatever you choose. Even if you construct an even shittier (as in for the audience to engage, not the characters within the story) world, it's up to you to mend it or not. 

I may have sounded a little pushy w/ the whole Robin amnesia thing, but as you can see that wasn't my intention and I'm not trying to kill your inspiration/ideas (as shown by my multiple instances of "you do you" lol.)

I got you my man. Don't worry, you're not killing my inspiration/ideas. 

And to address why I did it, I felt as though the amnesiac aspect (whether it was thematic or not) was a little cheap to get Robin's past to be a mystery, but it didn't urke me as much as it might sound. I also did it because I am treating this "story mending project" we'll say, as practice. I want to veer away from clichés and tropes so I can write the most original and strongest FE Awakening story in my opinion. Also, many of the themes and plot points can be achieved without the amnesiac aspect. For example, Robin (in my story) still has no idea about his early birth circumstances and his family history so the reveal at the end of the story can still be a massive plot point without him having forgotten everything up until the point of Chrom finding him. Regardless of whether something is thematic or not, the story still deserves as much originality as possible, especially since the same effect can be achieved with or without the memory loss.

Not a very structured response right there so I apologize.

8 minutes ago, Deirdre an Bhróin said:

Now I have a clearer picture. It wasn't necessarily the "amnesia" theme which I felt was a favorable plot point, rather it was something which were enabled by it. To be exact, the things which make up the theme, why it was implemented, and what it impacts, without the whole "his brain don't work lol" aspect meaning much in terms of that bigger picture. The big reveal to Robin's past is one of those things, as I mentioned in my initial post and was curious to see how it would be implemented, considering I had assumed it to be removed because the "amnesia as a whole" was gone, if that makes sense lol. 

I think it's best for you to write the story in the way you choose either way. I think choosing to expand upon a world/characters/themes/etc of Awakening is a great way to practice, especially since you'll have a clear understanding of "what I enjoy in game" and "what I enjoy in my works". My advice would be to not compromise those "likes" for the sake of presenting something "original". For instance, if you really like Aversa's JP personality, then you shouldn't go ahead and write her in as the US character. Or when it comes to shipping, don't feel you have to go the generic "Chrom/Sumia" (though I'm a personal fan of this lol), "Liz/Frederick or Lon'qu" or "Henry/Olivia", etc routes for the sake of writing something you "haven't before". As for shipping, you can explore this in any way you choose, as in any pairing and any topic, and not being constrained to pre-existing support chains for character interactions dynamic if something else tickles your fancy. I suppose I'm saying "write what you want" again lol.

My replies are hardly structured, therefore feel free to vomit whatever words you please. I'd say my reading comprehension is average enough that I can understand word vomit just fine. 

Yup.

In terms of romances, I am only really focusing on one (it will be a major part of the story) as I am trying to write the story as well a story focused on the protagonist, Robin. Also, many of the Shepherds may not be present or may not have large roles as I am trying to focus the story down to a one epic narrative (not a Game of Thrones like character saga). The story will focus on a one character POV, with other character arcs and plots added in on the side for depth and interaction. (This will make more sense as the story progresses.)

Geez bro, did not expect this much of a response! Thank you! 

Prologue: Thanks! I expected this would be a better part of the story so far due to the lack of world building in the game. (Dane is Chrom's father, and as is it explained in the game and now the story, he isn't the best person.) Thanks for the compliments on imagery!

Chapter 1: So for the record, Merek is meant to be a bit of a placeholder (you'll see him disappear later from the story later lol, not sure if I want him as a character in or not or if I should replace him with a character from the game like Stahl or something.)

So in terms of the hunting and weapons (bow) used, I assure that these issues are not for a lack of knowledge on the subjects (I too am a fan of weapons and armor, historical or otherwise and have gone hunting a few times). Thanks for pointing out the inaccuracies though! I suppose I just threw in some of those numbers and details without thinking about them. I would argue however that many of these details are not simply unrealistic but rather not likely. But I digress. Hopefully this won't be an issue later down the line. 

I'll take the rest of the suggestions into consideration but I won't go back and edit until the first draft is finished. Thanks for all the help so far!

10 hours ago, Deirdre an Bhróin said:

Now problem, really. I tried to be thorough where I could, and it just so happened to be a little more lengthy than I anticipated. Anyway, I hope the contents of the review is even in the least able to assist you. In the end, I couldn’t finish reviewing the chapter, but I will be posting that and proceeding with the reviews when the time arises!

I’ll get to reading Chapter 6 now, and will post the rest of my review of Chapter 1 after I finish my assignments and write a review for another users fic. I will continue to write reviews, moving onto chapter 2 after I complete these things. I’m balancing this review with one for another fic, along with the priorities of life, therefore there is a bit of a gap in reviewing which I have not expected, but I’ll be sure to continue to support and write the reviews when the opportunities arise. There is no pressure in me doing so, btw, as I’m genuinely interested in your work!

Now to read Chapter 6!

Glad you're enjoying it! What's the other work you're reviewing? I might be able to assist.

One of the biggest edits I have noticed is Robin's character. He's pretty boring. I'll need to make him a more assertive character at the beginning and set up more things about his abilities like him being incredibly smart or having the ability to summon elements (lightning magic). Also, I'll have to grow his attachment to Southtown and his home more so that he has more of an incentive to hunt down the raiders.

Just some thoughts...

After a bit of consideration, I will be revising the entire first six chapters to make Robin a much more interesting character. His presence is pivotal in the story and right now I am writing on a shaky foundation. I won't be posting any new chapters until the revisions are complete. Then, I'll post the revisions and continue writing. Any suggestions for major changes in the first six chapter soon are greatly appreciated!

• 8 months later...