any myrmidon fans out there?

Alternis_fan_2_0

If you are talking about GBA myrmidons, then in FE6 myrmidon might be better then mercinary, but in FE7 and 8 myrmidons have no 1-2 range easily. Not only that but they got nerfed in their crit amount and dodge-tanking is not always reliable. Mercs in FE7 and 8 can turn into Heroes, which have 1-2 range hand axes for enemy phase, and are still fast enough. Shamshir in FE8 trades 1 might for 5 crit, not a fair trade, and in FE7 your myrmidon options are Karel and Guy, not exactly two of the best units ever, and there are two obtainable wo daos in FE7. One you have to drop Harken for, which is not worth it, and one you have to train Bartre for, which is frustrating. Not only that but berserkers in GBA also get a crit boost and have the strength to one-round without critting most enemies.

however, I do enjoy using myrmidons and Joshua, a myrmidon is one of my favorite FE characters, as you can probably tell by my member badge.

Edited by Hello72207

In many games, myrms aren't very good-Pretty sure they're decent in FE5 and are quite good in FE10, but as far as I know, they're only truly "good" in FE6, but I haven't played any games post-FE12, so I'm not too sure there. Otherwise, mercenaries are generally better because of their higher bulk, strength and 1-2 range and are still fast enough overall.

I love myrmidons to death, though. My favorite unit ever is a myrmidon, (Faye from Berwick Saga) and I just like how fun they are to use-The crit rate is inconsistent but fun to have, even if it's not reliable.

I love myrms, whether they're good or not. Although there are cases where they can be absolutely spectacular. Rutger from FE6, Mia from FE10 (an absolute goddess in combat), Ayra from FE4, and Felix from 3H are all amazing units when trained.

But even when they're not the absolute best units, I still enjoy using them. Mia and Zihark from FE9, Navarre in FE11, and Lyn (who is as close to a myrm as a non-myrm can get) are all fun to use as well. Even the avatars are fun to use as myrms.

I am a Myrmidon class fan as well. I do like the Myrmidons better than Mercenaries so far in the Fire Emblem series and they're my favorite Fire Emblem class so far along with the Swordmaster class as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

Outside of Binding Blade, myrmidons and related classes aren't anything amazing. Ryoma in Fates is about the sole exception due to exclusive factors. Hero tends to be a better class than Swordmaster, with the exception of Three Houses, where, ironically, Hero is at its worst. The Wo Dao isn't that great either, except for Binding Blade and 3 Houses. It's especially bad in Blazing Blade, where they have a massive opportunity cost to get due to either coming with a unit that is mutually exclusive with a better one (Karel) or requiring you to actively train one of the worst units in the game (Karla).

8 hours ago, Alternis_fan_2_0 said:

I dont get why people prefer mercenary's. there faster, are the only uses of shamshir/wodao and crit more than any other class. (except berserkers in fates) they also dodge tank quite well.

P.S.: Dalsin is op.

You can stop taking the bait now everyone, I'm pretty sure this is a joke.

When it comes to myrmidons and mercenaries, I think both have their place in FE. Ideally, the myrmidon class line is a fragile speedster and dodgetank who makes up for lack of power with high crit rate and such, while the mercenary class line is a lot more well-rounded and is more versatile as a result. Both have their place; they just need to be balanced well. 

Edited by vanguard333

Myms have a good place. (depending on the game)
Vs axe wielders they basically have a guaranteed dodge. (In GBA)
I would say they're known for high consistent melee damage but other classes kinda take that role. (unless we're talking SoV)
So I guess they're best for dodging and that's that.

I'm probably in the minority, but I use FE units based on if I: A) like their class/animations, and then B) if I like their character. I don't really pay attention to which classes/units are "A tier" or the most usable by strategy standards, because honestly most of the FE games can be played basically however you want with decent success. Optimizing a party is sort of optional.

When I am allowed to post in Fan Projects, I'll be posting my completed FE8 hack - the main character is a myrmidon lord. 

7 minutes ago, Alternis_fan_2_0 said:

this is not a joke, and personally,  my favorite myrm is Edward from radiant dawn.

in addition, Dalsin (from thracia) may have just been me, but had capped defense and before promoting, and had 16 skill after promotion, with 20 strength. I gave him the leg ring, and the wrath scroll, and he one rounded Gomez.

19 hours ago, Alternis_fan_2_0 said:

in addition, Dalsin (from thracia) may have just been me, but had capped defense and before promoting, and had 16 skill after promotion, with 20 strength. I gave him the leg ring, and the wrath scroll, and he one rounded Gomez.

it's not just you, it's Dalsin that's broken. although i wonder what's the point of talking about an armored unit in a myrmidons topic.

anyway, some people may prefer mercs over myrmidons simply because they usually have access to axes upon promotion, therefore they can attack/counter from range as well.

axes are also fairly easier to obtain compared to magic swords, so that's another thing to consider.

then again, it depends on the game: in some versions(GBA), myrmidons gain passive critical bonuses upon promotion, so with Killer swords they can actually become quite deadly.

if we eventually include skills such as Astra, then myrmidons should be played as critical machines by all means.

The problem, in games with mercenaries and mymidons, is that Myrmidons have high speed and skill, whereas Mercenaries... also have high speed and skill, and more bulk and offensive output. In FE7, Guy is weaker than Raven (especially on HHM), while FE8's Joshua is worse than Gerik. FE6 is a little different, wherein Dieck and Rutger are both very much worth using, the latter being a better unit overall on Hard Mode. In Shadow Dragon, Ogma beats out Navarre. The distinction between these classes is more interesting when Mercenaries aren't designed to double everything.