General Build Flexing Thread

Anathaco

I'm gonna be honest, I dunno how this thread will actually do, but I figured it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to the most overpowered builds we've ever had the pleasure of using in 3H. Building strong units is such an integral part of the game that I'm sure we've all had to have had some amazingly strong units at some point, and I don't know if anybody else feels the same way, but sometimes I just want to gush about them even if nobody would listen.

Well, this is a thread where people will listen. Whether it be an insanely stat blessed unit, one you spent ages feeding all your stat boosters to, or simply one with a powerful skill set that led to them trivialising your runs- post your strongest 3H units here!

I guess I'll start with my two favourite builds from my last run, which was a VW NG+ Maddening run, for the purpose of taking the Ashen Wolves for a spin. Balthus, Yuri and Constance all turned out incredible (poor Hapi ended up as an adjutant for Constance), but while Constance was a great unit, Balthus and Yuri were on another level.

Yuri:

Spoiler

When I saw his personal ability, my first thought was "huh he'd make a decent Grappler, despite his meh strength growth". So I started this run with the intention of building him for that purpose. I trained his axes up until he could reach Brigand for Death Blow, and trained him in brawling + authority for the rest of the run. At the beginning I didn't think too much of it, but at some point I realised that my Yuri had ended up with a strength stat to rival even Byleth, and a speed stat that was leaving most Maddening enemies in the dust. So I figured, if he was gonna quad everything anyway, what was the point of leaving him with Grappler if its main selling point was only 3 attacks?

I gave him some strength boosters and refocused on his axes in the last few pretimeskip chapters, and with the extra levels he got over the timeskip, he actually managed to certify as a War Master in time for Chapter 14. I thought he was nuts one-rounding the Flame Emperor in Ch11/12 and annihilating monsters with the help of a dancer. Hoo boy. The pegasus knights on that map are strong, but even they couldn't survive 4 attacks from Yuri (yes, he could even quad pegasus knights). Enemies from then on just melted before him, even the rare ones who were fast enough to avoid getting quadded. With the Fetters of Dromi, he could also move out of the way to keep him from dying to a retaliation from the dead guy's buddies, or proc its pavise/aegis effect, which came in clutch a fair few times, actually.

Definitely his defining moment was Claude's paralogue, where after noting that the sand was stopping him from doing a lot that map, we made it to the Wind Caller himself, and Yuri casually shredded through his health bars with a pair of Killer Knuckles after the rest of my units struggled to face him without dying or doing pitiful damage (shout-out to the bandit leader on that map, who hit a 30% disturbance on WC that broke a tile and let me stun him completely- the map was made so much easier by you, my friend). He faced some accuracy issues around Chapter 19, so I ended up switching him to the Edmund Troops after that map (he had the King Of Lions Corps- losing 5 physical attack hurt, but that accuracy boost was a godsend from then until the endgame), but other than that his performance was damn near perfect the whole game.

Admittedly idk how much of this was War Master being absurdly broken compared to Yuri being a god, but I can't deny that a unit as fast as Yuri + a personal that gives easy damage + gauntlets = a lot of dead guys and MVP moments. 

I'll see if I can find a way to get a capture of his final stats off my switch later

Balthus:

Spoiler

Balthus won my heart during the DLC, so I knew I had to make him good when I got around to using him in the main game. I settled on the challenge of making him cap defence. I used save-scumming every week I could (so every week that didn't precede a battle, because I wasn't so insane as to redo battles just because of bad greenhouse RNG) to get as much Ambrosia from the greenhouse as I could. I realised during the playthrough that Anna gave quests that rewarded statboosters, so a week of battle at the end of the month to get as many trade secrets as possible became my usual schedule, to maximise my collection of giant shells. As an added bonus, I worked out that the DLC battles each have a fixed set of statboosters they can reward, so playing the Forest map whenever it was available to get even more ambrosia became my goal during battle weeks. 

The end result was a Balthus that reached his defence cap of 74 (with the statue increase) right before the Second Battle of Gronder. I cooked a defence boosting meal for the army, put Balthus in Great Knight, gave him def +2, defiant defence, the Aegis Shield and the Duscur Heavy Soldiers. When at less than 25% HP he reached 99 defence, and 115 prt. Not even Dimitri's armour effective gambit could do damage to him, and he never even bothered attacking with Atrocity. Overkill has always been my favourite type of kill, and defence this high is certainly that.

The run ended with a fight against Nemesis where I deliberately left the 10 Elites alive to test Balthus' performance against him. I was able to lure him into the swamp, use smash to break Nemesis' barrier, and dance + dance of the goddess Balthus to Armored Strike Nemesis to death, all while he tried to kill Balthus on the counterattack and failed to even damage him.

While he was almost impervious to physical attacks (if Nemesis had used heaven's fall he would have actually been able to damage him, admittedly), he had a few other weaknesses, namely enemy magic and his accuracy. Enemy magic wasn't a massive problem with Hilda as a guard adjutant to block the fatal blows (and his resistance turned out OK, actually), though poor accuracy hurt him a lot. At least until I found out that the Mace+ had 90 hit. Accuracy became somewhat less of an issue after that.

As with Yuri, I'll try and get a capture of his final stats later on.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing about everybody else's OP units!

I think my proudest Maddening builds are GK Ferdinand/Sylvain, cause it's a bad enough class to meme, but not bad enough to drive me insane to use

All it required was a little rigging for def, getting Swift Strikes ASAP, and then farming for strength and defense plants (not particularly good at that)

Both of them made the rest of each playthrough a joke (along with Seteth and Dimitri already annihilating SS and AM)

1 hour ago, Muesli said:

I think my proudest Maddening builds are GK Ferdinand/Sylvain, cause it's a bad enough class to meme, but not bad enough to drive me insane to use

All it required was a little rigging for def, getting Swift Strikes ASAP, and then farming for strength and defense plants (not particularly good at that)

Both of them made the rest of each playthrough a joke (along with Seteth and Dimitri already annihilating SS and AM)

Great Knights are honestly so much fun to use. Like you said, they're considered bad enough to be a meme, but they can actually get results when built well.

And the Swift Strikes users are good enough to fulfill the second part of that statement. I honestly need to try using it because at this point I've either never recruited the users in time, or, in the case of Seteth, kept him benched because the rest of my team was already too good to ditch anybody.

Oooh this is a fun thread! I've already gushed about my Magic Bow Sniper Hanneman in another thread, but I'll mention him again because he was just that amazing. He needed babying for a couple of chapters while he was raising ranks/grinding masteries, but my favouritism meant that didn't last for too long, and he was the most reliable killer post-timeskip that run. I don't think he was particularly stat-blessed, but more importantly he wasn't stat-screwed.

WM Byleth with Brawl Avo +20. Similar experience to your Yuri, except without the speed. No enemy mattered because his avoid was through the roof for most of the run. He Crit-killed most things just with killer knuckles, and WM basically made the crit effect permanent.

These are a bit more standard, but Paladin Sylvain and DK Hubert both did wonders for me. The former was Def-blessed, which meant basically axe users were the only ones who could deal physical damage, and obviously Sylvain's player phase needs no explanation. I don't think I did anything 'right' with Hubert except getting S rank and giving him the Cad Staff, meaning he could hit 5 spaces for the last few maps - a lot of fun pinning fliers etc and then canto-ing past.

3 hours ago, Anathaco said:

As an added bonus, I worked out that the DLC battles each have a fixed set of statboosters they can reward, so playing the Forest map whenever it was available to get even more ambrosia became my goal during battle weeks. 

This is really interesting news! I half-heartedly attempted to figure this out but in the end couldn't be bothered, although I did discover some interesting effects of save-scumming on the droppables. Do you know which battles give what?

1 minute ago, haarhaarhaar said:

This is really interesting news! I half-heartedly attempted to figure this out but in the end couldn't be bothered, although I did discover some interesting effects of save-scumming on the droppables. Do you know which battles give what?

From what I remember:

Plains: Charm. Savescumming for a different booster seems to only yield a bullion iirc.

Forest: Defence and Resistance

Lake Teutates: I believe this one is Dex and Luck

Conand Tower: HP and Speed

Meaning the 5th battle, which I’m pretty sure exists but can’t remember what it is, gives strength and magic. 
In my experience those last 2 battles didn’t show up at all until post timeskip, so that might be worth noting.

6 minutes ago, haarhaarhaar said:

I've already gushed about my Magic Bow Sniper Hanneman in another thread, but I'll mention him again because he was just that amazing. He needed babying for a couple of chapters while he was raising ranks/grinding masteries, but my favouritism meant that didn't last for too long, and he was the most reliable killer post-timeskip that run. I don't think he was particularly stat-blessed, but more importantly he wasn't stat-screwed.

WM Byleth with Brawl Avo +20. Similar experience to your Yuri, except without the speed. No enemy mattered because his avoid was through the roof for most of the run. He Crit-killed most things just with killer knuckles, and WM basically made the crit effect permanent.

These are a bit more standard, but Paladin Sylvain and DK Hubert both did wonders for me. The former was Def-blessed, which meant basically axe users were the only ones who could deal physical damage, and obviously Sylvain's player phase needs no explanation. I don't think I did anything 'right' with Hubert except getting S rank and giving him the Cad Staff, meaning he could hit 5 spaces for the last few maps - a lot of fun pinning fliers etc and then canto-ing past

Magic Bow Sniper is still a build I need to try. Maybe I can do it in this current run.

I ran WM Byleth on that run as well. It basically turned him from OK into “yeah you’re probably dead if you fight him”. Not as dominant as Yuri was, but still one of my most powerful units, easily.

8 hours ago, LoneRecon400 said:

im scared now help.

I’ve heard of vantage wrath but I don’t think I’ve ever seen dodgetank wrath before. That’s a really cool idea. Looks to be really effective as well.

Edited by Anathaco

I've experimented with Swordmaster Ferdinand on my BL playthrough. I was messing around with some idea builds on normal mode at the time. I certified him in the White Heron Cup so he can get Sword Avoid +20 as a dancer. Then leveled up his sword prowess to max so he can achieve max avoid. Then gave him his own battalion which jacked up his avoid even further. It was literally close to 0. Now obviously he would want this on a Wyvern Lord since it also rocks avoid +10 and a flying battalion that he could use. I think Cichol Wycern Co is the better one.

But as a concept, I enjoyed seeing Swordmaster Ferdie just be a dodge god and I'm sure on another playthrough he'd be a better dodge tank as a WL with sword avoid.

6 hours ago, Garsoba said:

Wild Abandon Petra (hit +20 and high hit battalion) with battalion wrath makes for a fun.. well anything really.  Caspar and Raphael can do it, but they aren’t my sweet beautiful Petra.  Caspar has a solid personal ability for this, too.  Petra does too, but only sub 50% enemies.

I've never really bothered to mess around with Wild Abandon before, but that does sound pretty good. Stacking hit and crit seems like it'd be key with a build like that.

3 hours ago, Barren said:

I've experimented with Swordmaster Ferdinand on my BL playthrough. I was messing around with some idea builds on normal mode at the time. I certified him in the White Heron Cup so he can get Sword Avoid +20 as a dancer. Then leveled up his sword prowess to max so he can achieve max avoid. Then gave him his own battalion which jacked up his avoid even further. It was literally close to 0. Now obviously he would want this on a Wyvern Lord since it also rocks avoid +10 and a flying battalion that he could use. I think Cichol Wycern Co is the better one.

But as a concept, I enjoyed seeing Swordmaster Ferdie just be a dodge god and I'm sure on another playthrough he'd be a better dodge tank as a WL with sword avoid.

I have done Wyvern Lord Ferdinand with Sword Avo before, and its nuts. In practice I don't think there's much difference between Swordmaster and Wyvern Lord for a dodgetank build, considering flying battalions have a lower maximum avoid (15, for battalions like Immortal Corps, Secret Transport Force, etc) compared to the 20 given by the highest avoid infantry battalions. So Wyvern Lord only gives like an extra 5 avoid compared to Swordmaster. Regardless, dodgetank Ferdinand is a beast.

6 hours ago, Anathaco said:

I've never really bothered to mess around with Wild Abandon before, but that does sound pretty good. Stacking hit and crit seems like it'd be key with a build like that.

I have done Wyvern Lord Ferdinand with Sword Avo before, and its nuts. In practice I don't think there's much difference between Swordmaster and Wyvern Lord for a dodgetank build, considering flying battalions have a lower maximum avoid (15, for battalions like Immortal Corps, Secret Transport Force, etc) compared to the 20 given by the highest avoid infantry battalions. So Wyvern Lord only gives like an extra 5 avoid compared to Swordmaster. Regardless, dodgetank Ferdinand is a beast.

So Swordmaster or Wyvern Lord barely makes a difference in terms of avoid stacking. Good to note. Still, I was happy with the result of him being a Swordmaster. I wonder if maybe assassin would be better since 6 move is better than 5 and assassins can move through thickets much better. He'll lack in kill power though as an assassin but his dex and speed will go up due to stat modifiers. Though Swordmaster rocks better kill power.

8 hours ago, Danaos said:

But as an assasin he will never get targeted over other units, which is not something you want from a tank.

If he’s the only person in an enemy’s range stealth won’t do anything, he’ll still get attacked regardless. And typically you’d only keep a tank in an enemy’s range anyway, to bait them with minimal risk to your units.

Bear with me on this part because I’m not 100% sure how the AI works, but if there are two units in an enemy’s range (neither with stealth), one of them can be severely damaged while the other can be severely damaged but with an exceedingly low chance to hit them, I assume the AI would target the first one. I’m not sure how it changes if, say, the non tank can barely survive and the dodge tank would die if he got hit. But generally speaking a tank won’t be drawing enemy attention if they’re not the only target, so stealth or no stealth makes little difference.

I loved my Annette on my AM run ❤️
It's not anything too original, I had her as Valkyrie/Dark Knight depending on if I wanted the extra spell range. Kept her grounded for better battalions and adjunct Gilbert.  
Focused on Reason and Authority early game (with only C in Faith), then built her towards Axes (A+) for Lightning Axe abuse towards late game to secure ohkos. Had so much fun with it  

Some pics: 

Spoiler

FnKleD7.jpg

Bl7zfaU.jpg

1mlVFPS.jpg

3 hours ago, ruruo said:

I loved my Annette on my AM run ❤️
It's not anything too original, I had her as Valkyrie/Dark Knight depending on if I wanted the extra spell range. Kept her grounded for better battalions and adjunct Gilbert.  
Focused on Reason and Authority early game (with only C in Faith), then built her towards Axes (A+) for Lightning Axe abuse towards late game to secure ohkos. Had so much fun with it  

Some pics: 

Hide contents

FnKleD7.jpg

Bl7zfaU.jpg

1mlVFPS.jpg

I've always wanted to try a build like this for Annette and stuff like this just makes me want to do it even more. Those damage numbers are insane.

I love how many people are sharing Ferdinand builds, so I'll add my own:

War Master Ferdinand with brawl proficiency, brawl avo +20, brawl crit +10 and brawlfaire (I added unarmed combat for the memes). Add an avoid ring as a cherry on top.

Healing Focus keeps him on 100% HP all the time, there is nothing that can hit him. Remire village Death Knight might've doubled him, but even he had only 20% hit chance while Ferdinand was on a bush. (Hard mode though, don't quote me for maddening.)

I recommend everyone to try this build, it's the best thing I've seen.

1 hour ago, whase said:

I love how many people are sharing Ferdinand builds, so I'll add my own:

War Master Ferdinand with brawl proficiency, brawl avo +20, brawl crit +10 and brawlfaire (I added unarmed combat for the memes). Add an avoid ring as a cherry on top.

Healing Focus keeps him on 100% HP all the time, there is nothing that can hit him. Remire village Death Knight might've doubled him, but even he had only 20% hit chance while Ferdinand was on a bush. (Hard mode though, don't quote me for maddening.)

I recommend everyone to try this build, it's the best thing I've seen.

I’ll have to give this a try as well. While I’m at it I may as well give him Alert Stance + from a NG+ file. 
All the avoid shall be stacked. All of it.