Is Three Houses worth the play?

DarkSage861

I haven't really bothered with this series in 3 years, (my status in this site proves otherwise). Is Three Houses worth playing? I've seen my brother played it and it's kinda boring in my opinion, he even admits that as well and he's was still playing Fire Emblem even after I stopped

Spoiler

just realized I just posted this in introductions, fuck me

Edited by DarkSage861

If you have already got it purchased and have the time to play it, sure, but if you're pressed for time or don't have it, I'd say no-The game's strong points aren't in the map design, so even though the customization, discovery and tinkering with units is fun, the fact that the game breaks in half if you so much as breathe too loudly does make it rather uninteresting from a strategic point of view compared to other options. The maps aren't all terrible by any means, (a small and select few are,) they just simply aren't difficult. (Other than maddening, which is difficult, but just...Do not.)

If you are more into the character development, worldbuilding, music, etc. then I can say with 100% certainty that it is worth the time/money investment. The map design is weak-ish, but many of the other aspects aren't and you have lots of freedom, which is very nice. I'd say that Three Houses is sorta like a breath of fresh air in some ways-It brings many new ideas to the table and implements old ones in new ways.

Many people also do love the gameplay of Three Houses, (I am not among them, hence my somewhat negative view of the game) so I'd listen to other people's takes on it as well before making a decision.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

If you have already got it purchased and have the time to play it, sure, but if you're pressed for time or don't have it, I'd say no-The game's strong points aren't in the map design, so even though the customization, discovery and tinkering with units is fun, the fact that the game breaks in half if you so much as breathe too loudly does make it rather uninteresting from a strategic point of view compared to other options. The maps aren't all terrible by any means, (a small and select few are,) they just simply aren't difficult. (Other than maddening, which is difficult, but just...Do not.)

If you are more into the character development, worldbuilding, music, etc. then I can say with 100% certainty that it is worth the time/money investment. The map design is weak-ish, but many of the other aspects aren't and you have lots of freedom, which is very nice. I'd say that Three Houses is sorta like a breath of fresh air in some ways-It brings many new ideas to the table and implements old ones in new ways.

Many people also do love the gameplay of Three Houses, (I am not among them, hence my somewhat negative view of the game) so I'd listen to other people's takes on it as well before making a decision.

Basically this. If you're into FE for the story, characters, and worldbuilding, then I think you'll like 3H. Most of 3H's gameplay revolves around the optimising and building of your units, so if you're into that kinda sandbox style gameplay, then you'll enjoy the gameplay too. 

From my point of view, I love 3H because I value characters and I enjoy that sandbox style gameplay. But if you like FE for its traditional gameplay- with well designed maps and a linear progression throughout the game, then you may not enjoy it.

I think 1 house is enough... I don't know what I would do with 3 houses... I'm not made of coin, you know. 

I do know this blue echidna though. Or is it a hedgehog... ? It's squishy underneath and pokey on top... 

Maybe Fire Emblem: Real Estate wasn't such a great idea after all