Weapon and Movement types you would have changed

Jotari

So chances are you don't agree with every choice Fire Emblem Heroes has made in regard to what weapons/movement types it's given some of its units. So which ones do you disagree with the most and which would you change. There's the obvious ones where they just plain gave units the wrong weapon like Raven and Narcian, though maybe that doesn't bother you as much considering they both increase the ratio of green versus red. But aside from stuff that is just changed from the game, there's also villagers (real shame they didn't make any of them lance infantry imo Shadows of Valentia is one of the few games that actually does provide lance infantry for the player) and alts that you might disagree with. Personally I thought it really bizzare that they gave Olwen another tome when she actually has a prf sword in Thracia that we'll probably never see now. In addition, they made a lot of sword wielding units knife wielders, but they've mostly regulated it to thieves. I think they could have gone further with that and made more mercenary type characters knife wielders over more sword infantry. Saber in particularly I think would have made a lot more sense as a knife unit given he actually uses the Golden Knife. And sure I know that's something he got as a refine, but considering he receives it in game it wouldn't have been the least obvious choice to give it to him in his initial load out back in the day.

Anyway let me hear what you would have done differently had you the power.

The only one I can think of is that I would give Awakening Anna a staff to reference her Trickster class. I just thought that would be different and neat.

I would have not implemented healers as a specific class at all and instead gone with Grey tomes from the start. Then just allow any tome user to equip a healing assist.

I'm grappling with the idea of not having Distant or Close Counter on anyone, ever.

-Tobin should have been an archer, either infantry or cavalry.

-Faye should have been a pegasus unit with a lance.

-Summer Wolt should have been an infantry archer.

-One of the Olwens should have had her sword.

-I think Legendary Lyn is WAY better than given credit for, but at the same time, I can't help but feel that there was some way to make her better. I dunno if it'd simply be making her colorless or something else, just...something.

-Lucius should have been a blue tome unit.

Infantry: Can travel over sea and mountain tiles with a movement penalty, same as forest tiles. The ability to traverse through mountain terrain does not carry over to Armored/Cavalry units that became Infantry before battle.
Armor: Can switch between Armored and Infantry before battle. Armored form has higher BST but 1 movement and weakness to anti-armor, Infantry form has lower BST but 2 movement and lack of weakness to anti-armor. Also, there would be no skills that grant additional movement to anyone. Armored units can also traverse through sea tiles, but cannot traverse though mountain terrain.
Cavalry: Same as Armor. Cavalry form would have lower overall BST and weakness to anti-cavalry but 3 movement, while Infantry form has higher overall BST and no weakness to anti-cavalry, but only has 2 movement. Cavalry also has the same ability to travel through forest and sea tiles as Infantry at the cost of being reduced to 1 movement, but like Armored cannot travel through mountain tiles.
Flying: Same as normal, except that they can't make use of tile bonuses.
Tile changes: Forest tiles grant damage reduction against basic attacks, but the opposite against Specials. Mountain tiles grant overall damage reduction, but lower the unit's overall damage output. Sea tiles increase the unit's damage with their Specials, but nullify all damage reduction effects on the unit. Defensive tiles no longer exist and are replaced with healing tiles that restore 10 HP to the unit at the start of its turn.
Skill changes based on movement: Armored March and similar skills no longer exist. Anti-Infantry weapons are more common. Anti-Cavalry and Anti-Flying weapons are now the same, pretty much being Anti-Mounted (this doesn't affect non-Cavalry/Flying non-human units). Flier Formation, Aerobatics, Guidance, and Flier Guidance no longer exist, and Wings of Mercy and Escape Route have much better HP conditions. Pass is now Cavalry exclusive, and grants them the ability to traverse through forest and sea tiles with 2 movement instead of 1; Obstruct is now Armor exclusive, and nullifies the foe's Pass and prevents any foes from teleporting to a spot adjacent to the unit. Skills specifically exclusive to Infantry cannot be used by Armored/Cavalry units that transformed into Infantry before battle. Skills exclusive to both Infantry and Cavalry, or Infantry and Armored, can be used by the respective movement types in either form.

Sword/Lance/Axe: These units can equip alternate versions of their weapons before the battle. Sword users can equip daggers, Lance users can equip Javelins, Axe users can equip Hand Axes. Daggers, Javelins, and Hand Axes are weaker than their counterparts, but all have Distant Counter. The only weapons that are prevented from doing this with are Firesweep and Brave weapons.
Bow: No longer specifically effective against Flying, but now have Close Counter. Colored Bows no longer exist.
Tome/Staff: Same as Humanoid's idea, to an extent. Tomes and Staves can now be equipped by either, with Healers being effectively made into Grey Tome units. "Healer Assists" debuff the unit after said unit heals an ally. Tomes have lower overall Might than other weapons, but have more powerful effects than other weapon types. Staves lack powerful effects, but remove the debuff the unit suffers from healing allies and no longer have a damage penalty without Wrathful Staff. Wrathful and Dazzling Staff also no longer exist.
Daggers: Daggers no longer exist, being replaced by Shurikens. Shuriken users can, before the battle, choose between inflicting a Field Debuff or Combat Debuff with their weapon. Colored Shurikens do not exist.
Dragons and Breaths: All Dragons now have higher overall HP than other units of their movement type. Breaths no longer have their "adaptive damage against ranged" effect, but instead have a +/-10% damage output/intake against units based on the weapon triangle. Colorless Dragons don't have this in-/decrease.
Beasts and their weapons: Beasts now transform in a similar manner to how Pair-Ups switch between units, but they cannot transform unless they can make an action (so Beast units that have already made their action and are greyed out can't transform unless a Singer/Dancer grants them one). Beast weapons no longer grant the unit a buff when transformed, but instead grant them the ability to move through forest and sea tiles without a movement penalty when transformed. Armored Beasts would have to choose to be Infantry before battle if they wanted to take advantage of this.
Skill changes: Close and Distant Counter/Ward/Foil no longer exist as Passives. Silver+ weapons now have a choice between effects granted from Skill Inheritance, explained more below. Triangle Adept now grants/removes a specific amount of Atk/Spd/Def/Res based on the weapon triangle instead of how it is in the current game. Desperation has been absorbed by the Breaker skills, but these new versions of the Breakers have an HP condition equal to the Defiant skills. Colored units can no longer use Bowbreaker or Shurikenbreaker, while colorless units can only use Breakers that affect colorless units. Raven tomes no longer exist; instead, there are exclusive weapons that give the unit Bowbreaker, Shurikenbreaker, or Colorless Tomebreaker.
Changes to Skill Inheritance/Combat Manuals: Silver+ weapons can now "inherit" certain Passive skills from Skill Inheritance. They're few and far between, and they can only equip 1 at a time (or none at all if the player wishes). Combat Manuals no longer exist; instead, they can leave "records" of the skills they had, and units can use up these Skill Records to inherit whatever skills they wish. Due to this, units can no longer have their skills inherited without first being converted into Skill Records.

Other major changes related or unrelated to movement or skills: Units can now level up to 50. Dragonflowers no longer exist. Defiant skills now grant a combat buff instead of a field buff, and work amazingly with Breaker skills. There are more skills, exclusive or inheritable, that support strategies involving placing the unit at or below 50% HP. Players can choose and lock the movement and weapon types for their Defense teams (AR, Arena, and all other pseudo-multiplayer game modes).

Other than that...I think I have all my ideas down. If I have any more ideas, I'll edit them in.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

4 hours ago, Michelaar said:

I would have made Dimitri and Claude infantry units. I don't understand why they had to make them Cavalry, especially in Claude's case that makes little sense.

They both have a strength in Riding. Bow caviler is a really good unit type and is kind of a minority in the game, and Dimitri having a different movement type is good since he would otherwise have 3 Lance Infantry versions.

I like the CYL lords as units, but it would have been cool if they had different weapon types. Maybe if their pre-timeskip versions won they would have went a more creative route.

It would be cool if they had more armored beasts. Maybe Keaton as a Halloween unit..

22 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

They both have a strength in Riding. Bow caviler is a really good unit type and is kind of a minority in the game, and Dimitri having a different movement type is good since he would otherwise have 3 Lance Infantry versions.

I like the CYL lords as units, but it would have been cool if they had different weapon types. Maybe if their pre-timeskip versions won they would have went a more creative route.

It would be cool if they had more armored beasts. Maybe Keaton as a Halloween unit..

On the subject of beasts, I think making Fomortiis a tome unit was a pretty boring idea. I would have much rather seen him as a beast.

I thought of a couple more. I wish Nils had been a green or colorless dragonstone unit instead of a blue one. Speaking of dragonstone colors, at least one M!Corrin should have been colorless and one of the colorless F!Corrins should have been some other color, imo. Shinon with a red or green bow would have been a lot more interesting than colorless bow Shinon, too. I know I thought of another one, but I lost it and it's not coming back to me right now.

46 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I thought of a couple more. I wish Nils had been a green or colorless dragonstone unit instead of a blue one. Speaking of dragonstone colors, at least one M!Corrin should have been colorless and one of the colorless F!Corrins should have been some other color, imo. Shinon with a red or green bow would have been a lot more interesting than colorless bow Shinon, too. I know I thought of another one, but I lost it and it's not coming back to me right now.

Not too concerned about their colours, but I think berserk Corrin should have been a mounted dragon, and possibly be in dragon form all the time obfuscating their gender. There's no mount to speak of but Corrin's dragon form is definitely the most cavalier looking of the dragons and if they can do it for the cat laguz they can do it for Corrin.

3 hours ago, Hilda said:

Allowing more then one dancer per group, more then one just dumbs the game down

That restriction is pretty harsh. It would be no different from allowing only one support unit for tanks, and no other unit can run any sort of Sabotages, Pulse Ties, Chills, Ploys, Drives, Hones, etc. if there is already a healer on the team.

I think Fallen Hero Delthea should have been a red tome unit since Death is dark magic and every other dark magic tome have been red in this game. Plus we already had a blue tome Delthea and FH!Delthea could have been a easier alternative to get than Celica.

Light magic, dark magic, and dragonstone colors are awful and horribly inconsistent. Beasts are even worse.

I have no idea why Duma is armor, but Mila is infantry.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:32 PM, MilodicMellodi said:

Daggers no longer exist, being replaced by Shurikens.

Daggers and shuriken are literally the same thing, just being Nohr/Hoshido counterparts. Specifically, the word used for daggers in Heroes is the same one used for Nohrian daggers in Fates (暗器, anki, lit. "hidden equipment"), which is different from the word used for daggers in Tellius (短剣, tanken, lit. "short sword").

As a random trivia fact, the Japanese word shuriken (手裏剣, shuriken) literally translates as "behind-hand sword", as in a blade hidden behind one's hand, paralleling Nohr's daggers.