How exactly do I understand the pair up strike/defend?

Samz707

Unless I'm missing something, is the only way to tell the chances of a pair-up strike/defend with a character when you're initiating an attack on an enemy?, considering how some characters have different stats for it and how frankly aggressive the AI is, I don't exactly have much of a chance to pair up, look at the pre-battle menu to see what the chances are for that pair of characters then seperate and repeat.

Pair up has an rng chance for the character in the back of the pair up to hit an enemy and block their attacks on either phase.  A to S support has the highest chance for both to happen on either phase. No support to B support is sort of low.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

10 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Pair up has an rng chance for the character in the back of the pair up to hit an enemy and block their attacks on either phase.  A to S support has the highest chance for both to happen on either phase. No support to B support is sort of low.

Yeah but is there any way to see the RNG chance outside of when I attack first?

There doesn't seem to be a way when I'm pairing up the units before I actually get in an attack.

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

Yeah but is there any way to see the RNG chance outside of when I attack first?

There doesn't seem to be a way when I'm pairing up the units before I actually get in an attack.

Have you ever used the full interface?

If not then here:

This video has what you need.

Edited by TheSilentChloey
video link

2 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Have you ever used the full interface?

If not then here:

This video has what you need.

So If I'm not missing anything, the only way to see the actual odds are in the pre-fight screen before you attack? in the box. (that's missing from one of the interface options anyway because thatisn'tterriblegamedesignatall!)

No way to see it before I actually pair-up units like the other stats? that's kinda an issue since I'd rather know the chances before I turn 2 units into 1. (such as when the enemy is going to initate the attack next turn.)

10 hours ago, Samz707 said:

So If I'm not missing anything, the only way to see the actual odds are in the pre-fight screen before you attack? in the box. (that's missing from one of the interface options anyway because thatisn'tterriblegamedesignatall!)

No way to see it before I actually pair-up units like the other stats? that's kinda an issue since I'd rather know the chances before I turn 2 units into 1. (such as when the enemy is going to initate the attack next turn.)

It's the only way.  It's not a poor design detail either, because Awakening already has enough numbers to worry about without that but if you know the basic numbers beforehand, you can tell that Chrom and Lucina will always get an extra 10% chance for their backup units to dual strike, and anyone who had dual guard + will get an extra 10% chance to have the dual guard happen.

Working from that just make sure that A supports or higher are paired up and you'll trigger the dual strikes.  It's different from Fates in that regard with the gauge has to full for the dual guard and dual strikes are automatic.  Personally I don't rely on that.  Also if you didn't notice before I paired everyone off, it did and does show you what extra stats the lead unit is given.  Look beside the stats as there is a +# that's your pair up boost, also where rally and tonic bonuses are as well.

11 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

It's the only way.  It's not a poor design detail either, because Awakening already has enough numbers to worry about without that but if you know the basic numbers beforehand, you can tell that Chrom and Lucina will always get an extra 10% chance for their backup units to dual strike, and anyone who had dual guard + will get an extra 10% chance to have the dual guard happen.

Working from that just make sure that A supports or higher are paired up and you'll trigger the dual strikes.  It's different from Fates in that regard with the gauge has to full for the dual guard and dual strikes are automatic.  Personally I don't rely on that.  Also if you didn't notice before I paired everyone off, it did and does show you what extra stats the lead unit is given.  Look beside the stats as there is a +# that's your pair up boost, also where rally and tonic bonuses are as well.

Yeah but the actual dual guard/dual strike numbers are what I want to know ahead of time, considering how half the time Dual Strike actually screws me over. (Such as trying to hold a 1-tile wide area, then Vaike who's paired up with I don't remember who at the time, gets a dual strike, then promptly gets killed by an enemy that wouldn't have been able to attack him otherwise and his stats were so terrible at the time he needed the actual stat increase..)

Edited by Samz707

22 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Yeah but the actual dual guard/dual strike numbers are what I want to know ahead of time, considering how half the time Dual Strike actually screws me over. (Such as trying to hold a 1-tile wide area, then Vaike who's paired up with I don't remember who at the time, gets a dual strike, then promptly gets killed by an enemy that wouldn't have been able to attack him otherwise and his stats were so terrible at the time he needed the actual stat increase..)

That's just the rng.  Which is why I said that for Awakening I don't rely on it.  It's not a sound strategy to lean on.  Just treat it as it is X% chance it will happen.  You won't know the exact number unless you use full interface and check post pair up.

That said SF has a lot of resources to work out pair up bonuses on site, so there is that if you have the time to check it out.  It can explain better than I can.

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

That's just the rng.  Which is why I said that for Awakening I don't rely on it.  It's not a sound strategy to lean on.  Just treat it as it is X% chance it will happen.  You won't know the exact number unless you use full interface and check post pair up.

That said SF has a lot of resources to work out pair up bonuses on site, so there is that if you have the time to check it out.  It can explain better than I can.

Thanks I guess.

Still pretty dumb how there's exactly one in-game way to check it AND you're locked out of it if you're using the simple interface.

I really am not a fan of having to open up fan-sites just to check information that should be easily accessible in-game but I guess I'll have to do that.

Edited by Samz707