Normal mode?

Voiced

Ok, I may be a coward.

I swapped to Normal mode to just enjoy the story. Haven't played an FE game since radiant dawn was released....and life's changed since then.

Anyway, would going Advanced classes for Normal mode be alright? Instead of investing too much time into worrying about Master Classes. I'm not very comfortable with the "time limit" you have in this game. So, since Advanced classes are pretty easy to get into, I was thinking about just staying in those instead of plotting and planning out how I was going to get into the Master classes with the time restraints.

8 minutes ago, Voiced said:

Anyway, would going Advanced classes for Normal mode be alright?

Yep! Heck, staying in beginner with most units would probably be okay, as long as the RNG isn't too unkind. In my (rather unpopular) opinion, Three Houses is more of a Sandbox game on normal, (and also hard, but I'm a certified elitist, so maybe ignore me...) so you could theoretically do literally whatever you want-I'm using Mage Raphael and Fighter Lysithea in my current playthrough, and both are doing very well.

TL;DR, yes!

11 minutes ago, Voiced said:

. I'm not very comfortable with the "time limit" you have in this game.

I am not certain, but I think you can grind an unlimited amount of times on normal? If you wanted to, that could be an option to max everyone's class exp out and go with crazy combos.

There’s nothing wrong with Normal mode, in fact, I personally played Normal/Casual for my very first playthrough (but switched to Hard/Casual on all my playthroughs afterwards).

Honestly, there’s many characters in the game that are better off ending the game in an Advanced class rather than Master, because some Master classes aren’t that great nor do some have a direct promotion to a Master class. The most notorious being sword classes, as the only sword-based master class is Mortal Savant (which isn’t that great). Priests/Bishops as well, as the Holy Knight class doesn’t provide any healing bonuses. Which route are you playing ? Knowing which characters you’ll have in your team can help you determine who’s better off in master and who’s better off in advanced.

And regardless, you’ll probably hit the threshold for master classes around chapter 14 or 15 roughly, your lord and Byleth (and Lysithea maybe) probably reaching it a little earlier. So I wouldn’t worry about the time limit haha. On top of that, you can grind levels with auxiliary battles on Normal mode if you feel short on levels !

Edited by kia_kula

Advanced classes and master classes are on the same power level and generally staying on any advanced class will even have an advantage over going to a master unless it’s like, wyvern rider instead of wyvern lord. In short, advanced classes are good final classes, just like master classes.

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

I am not certain, but I think you can grind an unlimited amount of times on normal?

That’s true.

As others have said, Advanced classes are fine. In fact, I'd even go to say Master Classes are a bit of a trap. A lot of advanced classes, particularly Bishop and Assassin, are better than most Master Class options (depending on the unit). The Master Classes most worth it are Wyvern Lord and War Master (mostly for Quick Riposte). The other options are mainly just nice for the extra movement they provide. Though the extra bow range is always appreciated on Bow Knights. The ones generally discouraged from ever even getting are Mortal Savant and Holy Knight. Holy Knight provides nothing useful Dark Knight doesn't already provide and Mortal Savant is just generally worse than Swordmaster (which is worse then Assassin). They have magic access but by that point in the game a forged Levin Sword is in the hands of an assassin is going to be more useful. Great Knight probably isn't that great either but it's more characterized by it's difficulty getting with most characters due to it's awkward necessary ranks which don't match up to most characters.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

As others have said, Advanced classes are fine. In fact, I'd even go to say Master Classes are a bit of a trap. A lot of advanced classes, particularly Bishop and Assassin, are better than most Master Class options (depending on the unit). The Master Classes most worth it are Wyvern Lord and War Master (mostly for Quick Riposte). The other options are mainly just nice for the extra movement they provide. Though the extra bow range is always appreciated on Bow Knights. The ones generally discouraged from ever even getting are Mortal Savant and Holy Knight. Holy Knight provides nothing useful Dark Knight doesn't already provide and Mortal Savant is just generally worse than Swordmaster (which is worse then Assassin). They have magic access but by that point in the game a forged Levin Sword is in the hands of an assassin is going to be more useful. Great Knight probably isn't that great either but it's more characterized by it's difficulty getting with most characters due to it's awkward necessary ranks which don't match up to most characters.

Falcon Knights are also solid choices since they rock the highest speed growth for any master class for females. I too started the game on normal/casual mode since I want to get my feet wet with the game. And yes some advance classes are more worthy as a end game choice than some master classes. Master classes in this game serve as a give and take side grade as opposed to direct upgrades. The only straight upgrades I would say are wroth doing is wyvern rider to falcon knight or wyvern lord and warrior to war master. Yes you can go from grappler to war master as well but grappler has fierce iron fist which is a great combat art to spam on hard/maddening or even in general. Gremory is another note worthy master class that you can go from bishop, warlock or even valkyrie. Though I tend to go from valkyrie to dark knight personally but that's just me

Edited by Barren

1 hour ago, Barren said:

Falcon Knights are also solid choices since they rock the highest speed growth for any master class for females. I too started the game on normal/casual mode since I want to get my feet wet with the game. And yes some advance classes are more worthy as a end game choice than some master classes. Master classes in this game serve as a give and take side grade as opposed to direct upgrades. The only straight upgrades I would say are wroth doing is wyvern rider to falcon knight or wyvern lord and warrior to war master. Yes you can go from grappler to war master as well but grappler has fierce iron fist which is a great combat art to spam on hard/maddening or even in general. Gremory is another note worthy master class that you can go from bishop, warlock or even valkyrie. Though I tend to go from valkyrie to dark knight personally but that's just me

Given there is no pegasus at Advanced Level ( for some reason?) Falcon Knight can definitely suit if you want one, but I don't think the speed growth is going to make a tremendous difference by the time you reach Master Class levels. There's not a tonne of levelling you're going to be doing from that point on after all. An extra 10% growth rate (that it has over Wyvern Lord) means 1 point of speed for every ten levels. And you're not going to get much more than ten levels with a Master Class.

Finally got the game myself. Verdant Wind route on Normal/Classic Chapter 17. I recruited everyone before the time skip. Most of my guys are Lv 32-34 and so far only Lysithea and Lorenz have certified for their Master Classes. Only Byleth has mastered all the classes he's needed due to him being required in any Story and Paralogue battles, and having no Advanced or Master Classes to master. Most characters are on their 2nd Intermediate Class, with a few on their 1st Advanced Class and a few late joiners on their 1st Intermediate Class. Going NG+ should get everyone trough their classes quicker since I've been spreading the renown between the St Statues evenly. Been doing every Paralogue battle and completing all quests. Pissed that I missed Marianne and Ashe's C rank due to the time limit on it. Ashe was one of my last recruits in Part 1 due to being the only one to require Lances, as was Ferdinand and his Heavy Armor requirement.