Voting Gauntlet: Ponytails vs. Pigtails!

Diovani Bressan

Voting Gauntlet: Ponytails vs. Pigtails!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which army will you support?

• Duma: God of Strength
    • Kiria: Cool Façade
    • Mikoto: Caring Mother
    • Hilda: Idle Maiden
    • Eyvel: Mistress of Fiana
    • Robin: Mystery Tactician
    • Kris: Unsung Hero
    • Laevatein: Searing Steel

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/07/2020 at 02:59 AM

Huh... do people even use the word "pigtails" anymore on anyone other than grade-schoolers? I don't think I've even seen or heard anyone use the word in... two decades now?

I'll probably side with Laevatein first? If she loses, whoever wins between Kiria and Duma is my next pick, I guess.

I am definitely supporting Duma. Poor guy is the only male here. Also the only dragon. After him... Whoever wins between Hilda and Makoto (if I'm remembering her name right) I guess.

@Ice Dragon

It's a common term where I live. I remember seeing "twintails" online only a couple years ago or something and being very confused. I was all "Are they talking about that one Star Wars race or do they mean pigtails?"

Also, people bring up some good points. Jill's accessory is actually a ponytail, so why isn't she here? That said, I'd rather see Shinon here than Jill. There are enough ponytail guys out there (Subaki, Shinon, Duma, Hinata, Takumi, Jorge(+Daniel), Naesala, Seliph, Oliver, Jakob, at least 2 Ryomas (Bathtime and Dancing), etc.) that they should have more than just 1 rep. Heck, I can even think of at least 1 dude with some variance on pigtails out there (Soren, but his hairstyle is somewhat unique so I'm not sure if it counts.) There is no reason for there to be 7/8 women on this VG, not when they could have at least put Soren (pigtails) and Takumi (he's getting a resplendent soon so may as well built the hype, right?) here, too. It's not like we're lacking in ponytail/pigtail guys to fill it out. Even if they're trying to get reps from different games out there, they could've replaced Makoto with Takumi and anyone on Team Pigtails with Soren and they'd still accomplish that. If they're going for 5* exclusives, then why not just change the "free unit" slot from Pigtails (F!Robin) to Ponytail? Then we could have Jorge or Naesala as the free unit and have him face off against some other 5* non-seasonal exclusive pigtail unit like Lute.

Edit again: Just to be clear, I still think IS can do whatever the heck they want. It's just also that it's not like the alternative wasn't available.

Edited by Mercakete

1 minute ago, Gregster101 said:

I think the reason Shinon and Jorge aren't here is because they were just recently added, and their banner is still up, so that would mean there would be two banners with them at the same time.

However, there is also the possibility of using the current banner that they are, and having only one VG banner instead of 2.

A VG Banner with 4 heroes, Duma, F Robin, and then add Shinon and Jill from the new heroes banner... we have 8 Heroes for the VG. Would be basically what they did with the last VG, where half of the units there were the CYL 4 units, and they used the CYL banner as a 2nd VG banner.

Similar cases also happened before, like using the current banners units in the VG (seasonal VGs, for example), or having units in the current Legendary/Mythic banner in the VG (like Duma this time, or Edelgard and Dimitri last year in the Kingdom vs Empires VG).

57 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

It's a common term where I live. I remember seeing "twintails" online only a couple years ago or something and being very confused. I was all "Are they talking about that one Star Wars race or do they mean pigtails?"

"Pigtails" is definitely the normal term for the hairstyle where I come from, but it's mostly just the fact that the hairstyle is extremely rare to see in real life for anyone older than grade-school age, so I pretty much never see the name of the hairstyle ever referred to outside of Japanophile circles, which pretty much universally use the word "twintails".

"Twintails" is actually wasei English, meaning the word was invented by the Japanese using English words, hence the usage in the anime fandom, which is easily influenced by Japan's use of English.

There's also just the fact that calling them "pigtails" feels really weird when they get longer (since children with pigtails typically don't have that long of hair, and that's what my mental image of pigtails is). Like, anything longer than Harley Quinn's pigtails just don't feel like they should be called "pigtails" anymore, even though it's still the correct word for it.

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Huh... do people even use the word "pigtails" anymore on anyone other than grade-schoolers? I don't think I've even seen or heard anyone use the word in... two decades now?

My mom does when I wear my hair in two braids (I do still wear my hair like that when I feel like it even though I am 29) so I always thought it meant when your hair was braided and pony tails are when the hair is tied up but not braided.

Anyway I think I will go with Mikoto first since she was a free pull today and see where it goes from there.

I'm supporting Robin first and then if she loses I'll switch over to Hilda even though she will probably have the biggest team. Guess I am supporting pigtails here even though I like girls with ponytails more but none of them are even here (where are you at Anna, Tiki, Linde, Marisa, Tailitiu, Delthea, Phina, Tana, Felicia?)

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Pigtails" is definitely the normal term for the hairstyle where I come from, but it's mostly just the fact that the hairstyle is extremely rare to see in real life for anyone older than grade-school age, so I pretty much never see the name of the hairstyle ever referred to outside of Japanophile circles, which pretty much universally use the word "twintails".

"Twintails" is actually wasei English, meaning the word was invented by the Japanese using English words, hence the usage in the anime fandom, which is easily influenced by Japan's use of English.

There's also just the fact that calling them "pigtails" feels really weird when they get longer (since children with pigtails typically don't have that long of hair, and that's what my mental image of pigtails is). Like, anything longer than Harley Quinn's pigtails just don't feel like they should be called "pigtails" anymore, even though it's still the correct word for it.

Usually, when people in the range from high school into adulthood wear pigtails, it's braided, I think (as @EricaofRenais pointed out.) Also, whether braided or not, tied lower on the head. There are also more ethnic "pigtail" hairstyles, since a pigtail is just the hair tied off to make two separate bundles (better vocabulary for this is escaping me right now.) So, there are more mature versions. But yeah, it definitely has a kiddy feel when said with no context.

Lol! Pigtail discourse is fun. Anyway, I agree, pigtails for me are when hair is braided (when hair is long/as an adult) into two, or if hair is super short (usually when young) and put into two. Though, of course, I have seen many adult women wear their short hair in “young girl” pigtail fashion as well. The word is definitely commonly used in my life, amongst older and younger folks alike.

Anyway, barring usual VG multiplier shenanigans, I suspect (and will be supporting myself!) best TH girl, Hilda, as the winner!

Pigtails don't have to be braided to be pigtails (hence the specified term "braided pigtails.") The only requirement is that it's pulled into 2 -- one on the left and one on the right. They don't have to be far from each other, either, but they can't be in a vertical line (like a mohawk) and still be pigtails.

I'll probably support Eyvel just because I can (and Thracia). I can't really say anyone particularly appeals to me as a character. The only one I really have any attachment to is Robin, I suppose, but I don't really wanna drag her around as a unit in a VG. Although I could change my mind. Guess it's Eyvel or Robin.

Might have decided to pick Laevatein if she showed up, but clearly she didn't want to.

Definitely gonna support my girl Hildie but i don't know who i'm gonna switch to if she loses 😞

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'll probably side with Laevatein first? If she loses, whoever wins between Kiria and Duma is my next pick, I guess.

people definitely use the hairstyle less when they get older, which might explain why you haven't heard anyone use the word. i also barely hear the word thrown around, but that's because no one ever wears it, so it never comes up in conversation. but anyone i've ever spoken to (in elementary school through high school) in college right now still calls them pigtails, as i'm pretty sure that's the only to refer to them.