What are the best units to train EXP for in the Blazing Blade?

sinfonic18

This game gives you a lot of units, and unlike Awakening you have limited EXP in this installment so I want to know who is the best units to prioritize that isn't Lyn, Hector or Eliword. It also goes for who is the best to promote when I get there since I'm only on chapter 11. 

I think this hasn't been asked before, but if it has just delete this post and link me to the topic that has these answers please.

Well, there's Marcus, who is easily the best unit in the game, but for non-godlike prepromotes, I'd say that

• Sain
  • Florina/Fiora
  • Kent
  • Canas and/or Lucius
  • Raven (sorta)

are all good options. However, FE7 is easy enough that you should have some leeway as to who you use, so basically use characters that you like.

It's probably easier to list the units that aren't really worth investing into - but unless you're playing on Hector Hard Mode, you're really not too pressured to make the "correct" team building choices.

• Rebecca (no good enemy phase, and her player phase isn't even that great either)
  • Dorcas and Bartre (awful Spd growth and base, respectively. Training Bartre to Lv.5 promoted unlocks a secret character, but only on Hector Mode. Also, she's pretty bad, too)
  • Guy (swordlocked, even after promotion, in a game where Hand Axes and Javelins are very useful. Also rather low Str and his excellent Spd isn't as useful - enemies in FE7 are rather slow)
  • Wil (similar problems as Rebecca)
  • Karel (swordlocked. Kinda OK for a while, but promoted growth units walk all over him. If you don't mind spoiling yourself, you can look for how he's recruited and go for the alternative character instead)
  • Nino (although it's very fun to train her anyway. But she's very underleveled and her stats don't really justify the effort you have to put into training her)

Every other character will pull their weight. The most useful characters will probably be the cavaliers and flyers, as boring as that answer may be - getting less mobile characters to where they're supposed to be is a very nice ability to have.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, there's Marcus, who is easily the best unit in the game, but for non-godlike prepromotes, I'd say that

• Sain
  • Florina/Fiora
  • Kent
  • Canas and/or Lucius
  • Raven (sorta)

are all good options. However, FE7 is easy enough that you should have some leeway as to who you use, so basically use characters that you like.

I've really found Sain and Kent to be extremely useful. That might change but I will definitely throw out Erk for Canas when I get him. Thanks for the info!

20 minutes ago, ping said:

It's probably easier to list the units that aren't really worth investing into - but unless you're playing on Hector Hard Mode, you're really not too pressured to make the "correct" team building choices.

• Rebecca (no good enemy phase, and her player phase isn't even that great either)
  • Dorcas and Bartre (awful Spd growth and base, respectively. Training Bartre to Lv.5 promoted unlocks a secret character, but only on Hector Mode. Also, she's pretty bad, too)
  • Guy (swordlocked, even after promotion, in a game where Hand Axes and Javelins are very useful. Also rather low Str and his excellent Spd isn't as useful - enemies in FE7 are rather slow)
  • Wil (similar problems as Rebecca)
  • Karel (swordlocked. Kinda OK for a while, but promoted growth units walk all over him. If you don't mind spoiling yourself, you can look for how he's recruited and go for the alternative character instead)
  • Nino (although it's very fun to train her anyway. But she's very underleveled and her stats don't really justify the effort you have to put into training her)

Every other character will pull their weight. The most useful characters will probably be the cavaliers and flyers, as boring as that answer may be - getting less mobile characters to where they're supposed to be is a very nice ability to have.

I just started the Eliwood story part. Good to know that FE7 is one of the easier installments since I've heard from a bunch of people that the older games were a lot harder than the 3ds-and-beyond era so I was kind of preparing myself for that but fe7 seems to be easier than I thought as of right now.

I've actually been using Wil and Dorcas a lot, didn't know they were mediocre. They've been subpar throughout what I've played but I thought they would eventually get better, but now I know I'm wasting exp on them. 

Yes, my mounted and flying units are much higher leveled than my infantry units, I've tried holding off on using them since they're so overleveled but they really do come in handy. Thanks so much guys for the info, will make my playthrough a bit more enjoyable! 

2 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Good to know that FE7 is one of the easier installments since I've heard from a bunch of people that the older games were a lot harder than the 3ds-and-beyond era so I was kind of preparing myself for that but fe7 seems to be easier than I thought as of right now.

HHM is not really hard, just throws unfair RNG circumstances at you. Examples include:

Battle Before Dawn

Genesis

Yes, my mounted and flying units are much higher leveled than my infantry units

In the GBA games doing this is really easy since cavs and fliers have just as good or better stats then other units and more movement, with no penalty whatsoever.

I've actually been using Wil and Dorcas a lot, didn't know they were mediocre.

Wil's stats will eventually get somewhere, the problem is that in this game enemies are not that strong, so being able to chip or kill on player phase without being able to fight on EP is a liability that affects both sword and bow users. Dorcas is an axe user, so he has that going for him, but his speed is low enough that without dumping resources into him he won't be onerounding.

Units that haven't been listed that are really good that are earlygame are:

Lucius is really good at combat, and gets C staves after promotion, which is really nice.

Lowen is much more susceptible to being screwed in being able to kill things then the other two cavs, but he can still do it. He's also worth dumping a speedwing on to make sure he doubles. He also has ridiculous durability for a cav.

Priscilla is a mounted healer, which makes her very good to use

23 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

I've actually been using Wil and Dorcas a lot, didn't know they were mediocre. They've been subpar throughout what I've played but I thought they would eventually get better, but now I know I'm wasting exp on them. 

Yes, my mounted and flying units are much higher leveled than my infantry units, I've tried holding off on using them since they're so overleveled but they really do come in handy. Thanks so much guys for the info, will make my playthrough a bit more enjoyable! 

Dorcas has a 20% Speed growth and gets no Spd bonus on promotion, which makes his long-term utility rather suspect. ;): I don't really know where the Spd benchmarks are on Eliwood/Normal difficulty, so maybe he can get by with a Speedwing and one or two lucky level-up procs - if he (or Bartre) do double, their combat is actually really good.

Then you've already figured out why mounts and flyers are so good. Their stats aren't any worse than any foot unit's, and their better mobility (and, in the main story, their access to Javelins and, once they promote, Hand Axes) allows them to gain XP more conveniently.

--

about difficulty: Before FE6, the default difficulty was the hardest (an usually the only) one, which means that even though none of those games come close to the terrors of FE12 Lunatic, they're more difficult than the easy/normal difficulties of the normal  modern FE games.

Edited by ping
not sure how my brain confused "normal" and "modern"

3 minutes ago, ping said:

don't really know where the Spd benchmarks are on Eliwood/Normal difficulty

I think enemies have around 7 AS for most of Eligood mode? (If it scales the same way Hector mode enemies did, and I seem to recall most enemies having 6-7 speed in Eliwood.) Dorcas has a base speed of 6, so it'd take him about 20 levels to double everything on average. He probably would make good use of speedwings, though.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:03 AM, sinfonic18 said:

This game gives you a lot of units, and unlike Awakening you have limited EXP in this installment so I want to know who is the best units to prioritize that isn't Lyn, Hector or Eliword. It also goes for who is the best to promote when I get there since I'm only on chapter 11. 

it partially depends on the goals you have set for yourself when playing the game.

some characters are locked behind specific requirements, while others are exclusive to Hector's route. since there's also stat boosting items showing up every once and then, there's virtually no best unit if you're willing to invest time and resources into them.

then again, some characters may have advantages over others due to pre-promotion bonuses and other factors, but that's another story.

in terms of overall performance, from my previous/current runs i can tell you this:

- Cavaliers: Kent and Lowen are pretty good until mid game, and you can even promote Kent early on Lyn's path if you boost him enough;

- Knights: Oswin is a very tough unit, no doubts about it. Wallace can be a decent alternative, but he will most likely not be able to double enemies as much as Oswin usually does;

- Flying units: Fiora and Farina can be very useful against mages, especially Fiora since she joins earlier and has more time to improve her stats;

- Archers: Rath and Rebecca can be nice to have around. Rath has the advantage of being a mounted unit that can gain access to swords upon promotion, while Rebecca can become a good anti-air unit with 2~3 default range of attack + access to ballistas. however, if you're just looking for a back-up archer in a map with flying enemy units, then you might as well go for Louise. otherwise, Rath all the way;

- Healers: Priscilla is always helpful, simply because a mounted unit not only has better movement range than a unit on-foot, but also because she has better chances to rescue/travel with other allies;

- Mages: Erk, Lucius and Canas can all become good units if you're willing to invest time in them, however only Canas has access to the Nosferatu tome, meaning he's the only one that can actually leech HP back from the enemy while dealing damage at the same time;

- Thiefs: Matthew will surely need levels in order to become decent, while Legault joins with an already good starting level and can promote right away when you get the Fell Contract;

- Axe users: Dorcas can do a good job against armored units, not so good against other units. i would focus on Bartre only if i was playing on Hector's route and wanted to get a specific character;

- Sword users: Raven is a pretty solid unit that can eventually stand against anyone if trained enough. he's basicly like a 4th lord in terms of damage dealing, but being a mercenary also means that he'll get access to axes upon promotion, giving him the ability to perform ranged attacks without the need of a magic sword.

guess that's all for characters with starting classes, or at least that's what i've learned from personal experience so far.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

- Axe users: Dorcas can do a good job against armored units, not so good against other units. i would focus on Bartre only if i was playing on Hector's route and wanted to get a specific character;

Bold: I would note that the character in question is NOT worth it.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

- Mages: Erk, Lucius and Canas can all become good units if you're willing to invest time in them, however only Canas has access to the Nosferatu tome, meaning he's the only one that can actually leech HP back from the enemy while dealing damage at the same time;

Nosferatu is much too heavy to be worth using.

Anyway, to the OP, I would say that in general, it's easier to list who's not worth using, which I won't do because someone else did that already (but I will add Renault and Karla [the former is a prepromo bishop who joins before the last chapter, but by that point, whatever mages you have raised are all but guaranteed to be better, and that's ignoring the fact that the last chapter gives you a mage that eclipses him; the latter has the same issues as Guy and Karel, but also requires actively using Bartre, who is himself terrible, and her stats are pretty lousy too] to that list) That said, Blazing Blade is easy enough that you can get away with using just about anyone.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 10/2/2020 at 7:40 PM, 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ said:

it partially depends on the goals you have set for yourself when playing the game.

some characters are locked behind specific requirements, while others are exclusive to Hector's route. since there's also stat boosting items showing up every once and then, there's virtually no best unit if you're willing to invest time and resources into them.

then again, some characters may have advantages over others due to pre-promotion bonuses and other factors, but that's another story.

in terms of overall performance, from my previous/current runs i can tell you this:

- Cavaliers: Kent and Lowen are pretty good until mid game, and you can even promote Kent early on Lyn's path if you boost him enough;

- Knights: Oswin is a very tough unit, no doubts about it. Wallace can be a decent alternative, but he will most likely not be able to double enemies as much as Oswin usually does;

- Flying units: Fiora and Farina can be very useful against mages, especially Fiora since she joins earlier and has more time to improve her stats;

- Archers: Rath and Rebecca can be nice to have around. Rath has the advantage of being a mounted unit that can gain access to swords upon promotion, while Rebecca can become a good anti-air unit with 2~3 default range of attack + access to ballistas. however, if you're just looking for a back-up archer in a map with flying enemy units, then you might as well go for Louise. otherwise, Rath all the way;

- Healers: Priscilla is always helpful, simply because a mounted unit not only has better movement range than a unit on-foot, but also because she has better chances to rescue/travel with other allies;

- Thiefs: Matthew will surely need levels in order to become decent, while Legault joins with an already good starting level and can promote right away when you get the Fell Contract;

- Sword users: Raven is a pretty solid unit that can eventually stand against anyone if trained enough. he's basicly like a 4th lord in terms of damage dealing, but being a mercenary also means that he'll get access to axes upon promotion, giving him the ability to perform ranged attacks without the need of a magic sword.

guess that's all for characters with starting classes, or at least that's what i've learned from personal experience so far.

To be honest I think I may have had a bad start to the game since I this is my first time playing it and I was using characters that weren't worth it in the long run (such as Dorcas) and stunted the growth of a lot of my good units now that I am in mid-game (basically all 3 lords, both Kent and Sain, Wil and erk and serra, etc). A big victim of this is Florina, since as SOON as she joined in Lyn's story I let her die when i didn't see an archer in her range. Now I had to level her against enemies that were way stronger and it was a pain but worth it since she is one of my best units now. Of course I could've waited until I got Fiora, but I didn't know she joined later and I thought Florina was the only flier. Wish i would've known that sooner lol.

I've been using both priscilla and Serra as my healers and they've done a great job. They almost never get hit. I don't really use matthew much unless there is a chest on the map since he's pretty weak but I would really like that Assassin promotion.

Basically been using what you stated and it's worked out pretty great. I swapped Raven with Guy because I like swordmasters and Hero kind of sucks no matter the game.

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: I would note that the character in question is NOT worth it.

Nosferatu is much too heavy to be worth using.

Anyway, to the OP, I would say that in general, it's easier to list who's not worth using, which I won't do because someone else did that already (but I will add Renault and Karla [the former is a prepromo bishop who joins before the last chapter, but by that point, whatever mages you have raised are all but guaranteed to be better, and that's ignoring the fact that the last chapter gives you a mage that eclipses him; the latter has the same issues as Guy and Karel, but also requires actively using Bartre, who is himself terrible, and her stats are pretty lousy too] to that list) That said, Blazing Blade is easy enough that you can get away with using just about anyone.

Nosferatu isn't great in this one? I remember it being broken in Awakening. But not being able to double enemies especially in this one is a big downside I guess.

Any unit that joins before the last chapter I would imagine would be useless, why would they even introduce a character at the end of the game? I also don't like using promoted-out-of-the-box units unless the map is really hard because they suck up EXP. I always thought it'd hinder the growth of units but perhaps I was wrong. 

I'm in chapter 20 and I've only permanently lost 2 units (fiora RIP, and Dart RIP) so I think that is a good testament on how this one easy, since this is coming from someone who finds 3H normal to be hard.

24 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Any unit that joins before the last chapter I would imagine would be useless, why would they even introduce a character at the end of the game? I also don't like using promoted-out-of-the-box units unless the map is really hard because they suck up EXP. I always thought it'd hinder the growth of units but perhaps I was wrong. 

Early prepromotes tend to be really good in the earlier games, and Marcus is no exception. It's mostly agreed upon that he's by far the best unit in the game, although you'll always find the odd contrarian. His stats, while not as good as those of a promoted growth units, are still good enough to make him a viable pick for almost the entire game, and using him makes the first half of the game a LOT easier.

For reference: I'm just barely behind you in a Hector Hard Mode playthrough (the big Darin map is next) and Marcus is still one of my two huge carries, the other one being Sain who stole Wallace's Knight Crest in Lyn Mode. Other units are catching up, of course, and will be overtaking Marcus, if not both of them, but the first map where Marcus is actually bad at fighting is the big penultimate one.

That said, it's evidently possible to beat the earlygame in ENM without leaning on Marcus ;): My rule of thumb regarding Jeigans is to use them as much as you need to, and don't feel bad if you use them a little more than that. XP stealing isn't really a problem - you'll always have some XP going to characters that you're not going to use longterm, so it really isn't a problem if a kill goes to Marcus instead of, say, Lowen if you planned to bench him after Sain and Kent rejoined anyways.

49 minutes ago, sinfonic18 said:

Nosferatu isn't great in this one? I remember it being broken in Awakening. But not being able to double enemies especially in this one is a big downside I guess.

The thing is, Awakening didn't have weight and Nosferatu was buyable. This game does have weapon weight, and Nosferatu, at 14 weight, is rather heavy. Speaking of, in this game, using a weapon that's heavier than your constitution reduces your AS (which determines whether you can double or not). As a result, it's generally better to avoid using weapons that are heavier than your unit's constitution.

1 hour ago, sinfonic18 said:

I'm in chapter 20 and I've only permanently lost 2 units (fiora RIP, and Dart RIP) so I think that is a good testament on how this one easy, since this is coming from someone who finds 3H normal to be hard.

What happened with them?

23 hours ago, ping said:

Early prepromotes tend to be really good in the earlier games, and Marcus is no exception. It's mostly agreed upon that he's by far the best unit in the game, although you'll always find the odd contrarian. His stats, while not as good as those of a promoted growth units, are still good enough to make him a viable pick for almost the entire game, and using him makes the first half of the game a LOT easier.

For reference: I'm just barely behind you in a Hector Hard Mode playthrough (the big Darin map is next) and Marcus is still one of my two huge carries, the other one being Sain who stole Wallace's Knight Crest in Lyn Mode. Other units are catching up, of course, and will be overtaking Marcus, if not both of them, but the first map where Marcus is actually bad at fighting is the big penultimate one.

That said, it's evidently possible to beat the earlygame in ENM without leaning on Marcus ;): My rule of thumb regarding Jeigans is to use them as much as you need to, and don't feel bad if you use them a little more than that. XP stealing isn't really a problem - you'll always have some XP going to characters that you're not going to use longterm, so it really isn't a problem if a kill goes to Marcus instead of, say, Lowen if you planned to bench him after Sain and Kent rejoined anyways.

Oh I know how good prepromotes are even in the newer games. I used Marcus to get me out of some tough situations when i first started Eliwood mode. I just don't like using them personally because I'm the type of person who likes to grow units and mold them into what I want, even if it is inefficient. I like to treat FE like Pokemon, assembling my own team and training them from level 1 to 100 or whatever. It's very satisfying to me and part of what drew me into FE as a whole. Like I said, it's pretty dumb but it's one way I like to enjoy the games.

pre-promoted units don't offer this kind of "growing" that I like. So while you're right that Jeigan like units are really good and make the game easier, it's personal, but I can't do it lol. Buuuut, like I said, I used him a bit to help me out with hard times and he really pulled through, I can see why a lot of people say he is the probably the best unit in the game.

Yes and FE will be FE, kind of forcing units upon you on certain chapters and disallowing some. Argh. 

I just got to the chapter where you get Hawkeye and he is a really good prepromoted unit and since most of my other units are promoted now I might consider using him since berserker is cool.

23 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The thing is, Awakening didn't have weight and Nosferatu was buyable. This game does have weapon weight, and Nosferatu, at 14 weight, is rather heavy. Speaking of, in this game, using a weapon that's heavier than your constitution reduces your AS (which determines whether you can double or not). As a result, it's generally better to avoid using weapons that are heavier than your unit's constitution.

What happened with them?

Ah, I totally forgot about weight. I actually didn't know weight existed in the older games, thought it was a new feature. Now I understand why nosferatu isn't a great tome in this one. But even if you don't double with it, the health drain from it might be useful. Given a unit has high magic, I would imagine it'd be decent healing. I haven't tried it though yet, so I will take you word for it.

Well, I admittedly used Dart as a sacrifice on purpose, I was in a situation where it was either him or Lyn, I didn't want to lose Lyn because she is amazing, so I fed him to the crows. Rip pirate man.

Fiora is different story. It was on the map she is recruited on and it's one of the irritating maps where there is fog and you can't see enemies unless you have a bunch of torches. I very riskily put her into the deep fog, and the next turn an archer came out of nowhere and instantly took her down. I was distraught but I didn't want to reset since that's kind of cheating and my other units had good level ups. So yeah, I've definitely been spoiled with the newer games' casual mode...

15 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Ah, I totally forgot about weight. I actually didn't know weight existed in the older games, thought it was a new feature. Now I understand why nosferatu isn't a great tome in this one. But even if you don't double with it, the health drain from it might be useful. Given a unit has high magic, I would imagine it'd be decent healing. I haven't tried it though yet, so I will take you word for it.

The same issue plagues Nosferatu in Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, as well as 3 Houses. Aside from that, it's not so useful when it makes you so slow that you risk being doubled. Coincidentally, weight is also an issue with two of the three lords' exclusive weapons they get in the final chapter.

Well, I admittedly used Dart as a sacrifice on purpose, I was in a situation where it was either him or Lyn, I didn't want to lose Lyn because she is amazing, so I fed him to the crows. Rip pirate man.

Bold: As Lyn is a lord, you must keep her alive.

Fiora is different story. It was on the map she is recruited on and it's one of the irritating maps where there is fog and you can't see enemies unless you have a bunch of torches. I very riskily put her into the deep fog, and the next turn an archer came out of nowhere and instantly took her down. I was distraught but I didn't want to reset since that's kind of cheating and my other units had good level ups. So yeah, I've definitely been spoiled with the newer games' casual mode...

I find torches most effective on thieves, who already have more vision than other units. Just something to note for when you have to deal with fog maps again.

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Oh I know how good prepromotes are even in the newer games. I used Marcus to get me out of some tough situations when i first started Eliwood mode. I just don't like using them personally because I'm the type of person who likes to grow units and mold them into what I want, even if it is inefficient. I like to treat FE like Pokemon, assembling my own team and training them from level 1 to 100 or whatever. It's very satisfying to me and part of what drew me into FE as a whole. Like I said, it's pretty dumb but it's one way I like to enjoy the games.

pre-promoted units don't offer this kind of "growing" that I like. So while you're right that Jeigan like units are really good and make the game easier, it's personal, but I can't do it lol. Buuuut, like I said, I used him a bit to help me out with hard times and he really pulled through, I can see why a lot of people say he is the probably the best unit in the game.

Never feel pressured to try to justify the way you play FE, or any single player game. Making heavy use of your early-game prepromotes is an easier way to play the game, not a better way. There's nothing dumb about playing a game the way you like.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, Shadow Mir said:

The same issue plagues Nosferatu in Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, as well as 3 Houses. Aside from that, it's not so useful when it makes you so slow that you risk being doubled. Coincidentally, weight is also an issue with two of the three lords' exclusive weapons they get in the final chapter.

Bold: As Lyn is a lord, you must keep her alive.

I find torches most effective on thieves, who already have more vision than other units. Just something to note for when you have to deal with fog maps again.

That and how Nosferatu was changed to a white magic tome in three houses makes it even more useless in that game. Honestly makes Mercedes offensively useless and only good for heals which is what she's supposed to be I suppose. Now that you put it that way, I can see why it's useless in any game that isn't awakening lol.

I thought Eliwood was the only one who couldn't die due to game over in his story but now I know lol. Still better sacrificing a character I don't like then getting a game over. xD

Good advice. Didn't know thieves had that perk. 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, ping said:

Never feel pressured to try to justify the way you play FE, or any single player game. Making heavy use of your early-game prepromotes is an easier way to play the game, not a better way. There's nothing dumb about playing a game the way you like.

Well thanks. I suppose you're right, but still, the way I play is inefficient in my opinion but a touch of OCD and personalization prevents that lol. 

I accidentally deleted my save file yesterday and have to start over from Ch. 20. (THANK GOD for VC save states, I had a backup I did on chapter 20 just in case.) I had to get all the way to 26 again but it was a blessing in disguise because I was able to grind the arena this time and get all my units ready to promote, which is what I love lol. Plus they got great level ups.

3 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

That and how Nosferatu was changed to a white magic tome in three houses makes it even more useless in that game. Honestly makes Mercedes offensively useless and only good for heals which is what she's supposed to be I suppose. Now that you put it that way, I can see why it's useless in any game that isn't awakening lol.

I thought Eliwood was the only one who couldn't die due to game over in his story but now I know lol. Still better sacrificing a character I don't like then getting a game over. xD

Good advice. Didn't know thieves had that perk. 

Reason, which teaches black magic, is pretty much mandatory for mages in 3H to invest in (this is also why if I use her, I tend to change Manuela into a physical class [note she has a weakness in reason]). At any rate, the fact that offensive white magic in general is so heavy in 3H makes the Holy Knight master class pretty much useless. That said, Awakening isn't the only game where Nosferatu was useful - Genealogy of the Holy War is another one where it could be used effectively, due to the fact that follow-ups are tied to a skill, as is Binding Blade because Nosferatu is not mega-heavy.

Hector must also be kept alive. Though other than mages, enemies struggle to damage him anyway.

On 9/29/2020 at 12:37 AM, sinfonic18 said:

I just started the Eliwood story part. Good to know that FE7 is one of the easier installments since I've heard from a bunch of people that the older games were a lot harder than the 3ds-and-beyond era so I was kind of preparing myself for that but fe7 seems to be easier than I thought as of right now.

Yes and no. FE7 is definitely one of the easier FEs and FE8 is the easiest imo. The games before FE7 (1-6) are difficult, but that's due to either the graphical limitations at the time or the experimental nature of the games. And I wouldn't say they're "difficult" either; a "challenge" for sure, but I don't think of them as difficult. FE10 is also a harder FE. But tbh, some of the newer games can be challenging in their own way. Conquest is good for providing a challenge.

On 10/7/2020 at 4:22 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Reason, which teaches black magic, is pretty much mandatory for mages in 3H to invest in (this is also why if I use her, I tend to change Manuela into a physical class [note she has a weakness in reason]). At any rate, the fact that offensive white magic in general is so heavy in 3H makes the Holy Knight master class pretty much useless. That said, Awakening isn't the only game where Nosferatu was useful - Genealogy of the Holy War is another one where it could be used effectively, due to the fact that follow-ups are tied to a skill, as is Binding Blade because Nosferatu is not mega-heavy.

Hector must also be kept alive. Though other than mages, enemies struggle to damage him anyway.

Yes because offensive white magic in 3H is useless. However I think Marianne makes decent (hard emphasis on decent) Holy Knight in 3H because she is the only one that I know of to have things like Aura and whatnot. She also has natural talent in lances so it's easy to get her there if you want, but for everyone else, it's pretty much the most worthless class in that game. 

I have never played fe4 or other ones released only in Japan so i wouldn't know.

Now that you mention it, my Hector is a great tank only threatened slightly by mages and even those don't dent him too much.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:05 AM, sinfonic18 said:

the fact that you may not be able to double enemies with Nosferatu like in some other title doesn't mean it's a bad tome. it just works in a  different way.

let's say it's alright for surviving some 1-vs-1 battles during enemy phase, for example with counters against slow enemies such as armored knights, or in case there's enemies waiting nearby/behind walls ,or if you want to play bait.

not so great for tanking groups of enemies at once and/or dealing damage. if you want to obliterate enemies, Luna is the way to go.

then again, if you're using a mage unit, maybe you shouldn't be tanking with it in the first place, but i guess every FE has its own gimmicks.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, sinfonic18 said:

I just got to the chapter where you get Hawkeye and he is a really good prepromoted unit and since most of my other units are promoted now I might consider using him since berserker is cool.

the units tied to Athos are probably among the best pre-promotes you can get in game. you can't go wrong by using them, especially Hawkeye since he's basicly a killing machine that can even travel on water tiles.

20 hours ago, sinfonic18 said:

Now that you mention it, my Hector is a great tank only threatened slightly by mages and even those don't dent him too much.

Hector is actually a Jeigan unit disguised as a lord.

jokes aside, he's easily one of the best units in the game. it's like an armored knight with no armored weakness, starting with axes instead of lances, and hitting hard like a truck.

the fact he can survive on his own while getting kills by himself without the need to be babysit like Lyn or Eliwood from the start should speak for itself, i guess.