Would you prefer a canon or non-canon FE Warriors follow-up?

Fabulously Olivier

Canon or non-canon?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Non-canon Crossover
    • Canon 3H story
    • Canon story for other FE universe
    • Hybrid (canon story with non-canon History Mode)
    • Alternate Universe/What-if Scenario

A non canon crossover. FE warriors pulled it off way better than HW. It was a lot more fun watching so many different cbaracters interact than just getting a Three Houses cast rehash. Although, if we're talking a war between Seiros and Nemesis with all the elites being playable characters, you might be able to win me over. That's probably not going to happen though, as they wouldnt be able to reuse most of the 3H models that way. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 3:44 AM, Sentinel07 said:

I'd rather a lore-based prequel focusing on the Seiros vs Nemesis war. I feel like that would be perfect for Warriors style gameplay. Honestly, I have little interest in what happens in-between the 5 year timeskip in TH. Heck, some characters don't even do anything in some routes. For example in SS/AM/VW, Linhardt and Bernadetta do nothing but stay at home for most of it.

Actually, I had this little idea for a while, but it might be too big. Basically my thought was to put Fodlan's big past wars into one game. Have one route focused on Seiros vs. Nemesis, another route focused on the Battle of the Eagle and Lion (with Loog), and then another route on Battle of the Crescent Moon. Basically the 3 main ways that shaped Fodlan into what is at the start of the game.

I think it would be cool, and even mirror Three Houses' style of multiple paths.

I actually posted exactly this idea in another thread before I saw that this thread existed.....

Technically the ancient nabatean agarthian war would also be a war that shaped fodlan but maybe that one was a little bit to crazy because the factions there were fireing nukes at each other 😅

The issue I see with doing an Agarthan war prequel is one of appeal and practicality. Certainly, like Age of Calamity, it tells a story that people want to see told. However, unlike Age of Calamity, it lacks enough characters that people actually want to play. And those characters it does offer do not hold the same fan demand as the BotW champions clearly do.

In terms of named characters, the agarthan war has:

Spoiler

Seiros/Rhea

Seteth

Flayn

Macuil (who doesn't have a character model)

Indech (who doesn't have a character model)

The 4 apostles (who don't have character models)

Nemesis

Solon and Thales (who would basically play the same)

Maybe Kronya?

The elites (who are so insignificant that they use generic character models)

Meaning that for this prequel, we only have 6-7 named characters with existing character models. And all of those models would also be available if a 3 Houses Warriors was set during the timeline of 3 Houses - alongside potentially every playable character that people do care about and want to play as.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

As others have said, I don:t think a time skip Three Houses game would be all that interesting ifyour adhering to strict canon. There:d be no resolution at all. You could just straight up remake Three Houses as a Warriors game though. I think setting it in the backstory of a game is a much better idea. People say Nemsis vs Seiros, which would be good for being relevant and all and I think Nemesis has a rocking design, but I:d hunger more for the Crusaders versus Loptyr. However the issue with a backstory game is that it would, essentially, be an entirely new cast. So if the game isnt good then its probably going to be super boring unless they can pull off a good story. And honestly I don:t have any confidence in them that they can. Maybe I:m in the minority opinion, but Dynasty Warrior games sort of suck. I just don;t find their gameplay engaging. Its basically just mashing the same singular combo and watching hoards of enemies die with the only threat being a timer and maybe one op boss. If you have fun just killing hoards of enemies who dont even attack you then great, but its just vapid for me. The only reaon I have to play these games is the fanservice. I:m sure good gameplay is possible with this idea and style, but I just haven:t seen it in any of the games Ive played. So if I want a game I can actually expect to enjoy it would be non canon full fledge fanservice like they tried the first time. Only the first time it was fanserivce from games I:m not massively interested in (why oh why didn:t they just make random ass evil dragon number 5 Loptyr. That would have been great to serve as an explanation as to what happened to his body since the Loptyr we actually see in Genealogy is just his will passed on to a tome).

12 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The issue I see with doing an Agarthan war prequel is one of appeal and practicality. Certainly, like Age of Calamity, it tells a story that people want to see told. However, unlike Age of Calamity, it lacks enough characters that people actually want to play. And those characters it does offer do not hold the same fan demand as the BotW champions clearly do.

Hide contents

Seiros/Rhea

Seteth

Flayn

Nemesis

Maybe Kronya?

Meaning that for this prequel, we only have 6-7 named characters with existing character models. And all of those models would also be available if a 3 Houses Warriors was set during the timeline of 3 Houses - alongside potentially every playable character that people do care about and want to play as.

Such a thing would definitely be OC-heavy to fill out the roster.

On a personal note, I would have no issue. I'd love to learn about new characters.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

As others have said, I don:t think a time skip Three Houses game would be all that interesting ifyour adhering to strict canon. There:d be no resolution at all. You could just straight up remake Three Houses as a Warriors game though. I think setting it in the backstory of a game is a much better idea. People say Nemsis vs Seiros, which would be good for being relevant and all and I think Nemesis has a rocking design, but I:d hunger more for the Crusaders versus Loptyr. However the issue with a backstory game is that it would, essentially, be an entirely new cast. So if the game isnt good then its probably going to be super boring unless they can pull off a good story. And honestly I don:t have any confidence in them that they can. Maybe I:m in the minority opinion, but Dynasty Warrior games sort of suck. I just don;t find their gameplay engaging. Its basically just mashing the same singular combo and watching hoards of enemies die with the only threat being a timer and maybe one op boss. If you have fun just killing hoards of enemies who dont even attack you then great, but its just vapid for me. The only reaon I have to play these games is the fanservice. I:m sure good gameplay is possible with this idea and style, but I just haven:t seen it in any of the games Ive played. So if I want a game I can actually expect to enjoy it would be non canon full fledge fanservice like they tried the first time. Only the first time it was fanserivce from games I:m not massively interested in (why oh why didn:t they just make random ass evil dragon number 5 Loptyr. That would have been great to serve as an explanation as to what happened to his body since the Loptyr we actually see in Genealogy is just his will passed on to a tome).

The perspective of wanting fanservice and being disappointed by the lack thereof in the first game is appreciated. I think most of us could agree with that, unless we personally liked their game selection.

The surface level criticisms of an entire genre are not appreciated. Warriors games are as valid as any other genre. They are a power fantasy, yes, and their lack of direct difficulty is relaxing to some of us. Where they provide pressure is through objective priorization, which FE Warriors is quite good at. I don't see Diablo games get a bad rap when they're basically isometric Dynasty Warriors with better loot and worse combat.

If we're here to blanket bash genres we don't like in subforums all about them, I'd like to submit the following opinions to their respective communities:

Spoiler

Dark Souls and its ilk are crap, incomplete games wholly defined by what they don't have (story and proper difficulty settings) rather than what they are (discount Monster Hunter without the monster hunting).

Fighting games are all just repetitive muscle memory exercises. Once you learn them, it's all about comboing someone in one long, convoluted animation until they die. And don't get me started on the crappy controls. What incompetent fuckstick thought to make me play DDR with the controller just to throw a hadouken?

Sports games are all just husbando-collecting gacha games for mouthbreathing dudebros. 

First person shooters are just centering your cursor on someone else and killing them in 0.05 seconds before they can center theirs on you.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

On 11/9/2020 at 3:58 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hide contents

Seiros/Rhea

Seteth

Flayn

Nemesis

Maybe Kronya?

That would be the war between Nemesis and Seiros. From the Agarthan/Nabatean war we know almost nothing, outside that sothis was involved and they turned the world into literal hell.

But I agree with the problem of characters. Age of Calamity works because the champions of Botw were fan favourites where people wanted more from. I did not see to much interest in the missing saints or apostels or the group around loog to get much hype behind it.

But maybe they could try either Use Time Travelling Stuff and let characters from the present experience/interact with the events (because sothis), or they tab into the realm of reincarnation/repeating history  where e.g. Loog is basically an version of dimitri etc etc to solve this.

• 2 weeks later...