One Hour Blitz

Vesly

One Hour Blitz - Round 1

old-gold-hourglass-vector-21145008

Sister Thread on FEUniverse

There are currently 8 submissions! (After 3 days.)

Rules

• Start with :icecream: vanilla fe8

• Create :bookmark: a chapter

• You have :clock1: 1 hour

• Use community :free: to use assets

• (eg. graphics, music, asm hacks, etc. :white_check_mark:)

This means you can cheat! :cool:

• If you make and share an asset, it is fair game :ok:

Honour System

• :customs: We won’t know if you spend over an hour, cheater

• You could remake :recycle: a previously completed chapter if you want to be a lame-o

• If someone’s chapter is better than yours, they probably cheated anyway :warning:

Suggestions

• :new: map, characters, and dialogue

• Draft your chapter by :clock130: 30 minutes

• Playtest it by :clock10: 50 minutes and fast-forward :arrow_double_up:

Assets

Example video

I made a crappy chapter in 14 mins with FE Builder. Therefore you can make something similarly dreadful in an hour. :broccoli:

FEBuilder - Creating a chapter in 14 minutes

image.png.a6783fad0f9545a764dcc431127ab007.png

Document your story

• :scroll: :pen: Describe how the hour went

• Share pics/gifs/videos of it here :metal:t2:

• Post the final .UPS :file_folder: if you want, or don’t

Rewards

:moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

• We can vote on our favourites :chart_with_upwards_trend:

• People might :heart: like your post

• I might play a few and upload them to youtube (anyone want to help with this?)
    :video_game:

Categories

• Most-liked reply :love_letter:

• Top-voted as favourite :100:

• Fastest any% :snowboarder:t2: (and probably crappiest hack)

The real reward was the :rainbow: friends chapter you made along the way. You could touch it up and re-use it as a chapter in your own hack, for example. Quick drafts are rough, but makes for a great starting place.

Deadline

• ONE HOUR FROM READING THIS

• Sorry, not really.

• Oct. 31st, 2020 :spiral_calendar:

• It’s 1 hour of your time, so don’t procrastinate plz.

:hourglass_flowing_sand: :hourglass:

Ready?

ON YOUR MARKS, GET SET

Pick one

:checkered_flag: :white_flag:

tl;dr 1 hour hack. Vesly discovers emoji

Edited by Vesly

I am updating FE Builder. I've got a concept and I'm about to try it. Wish me blessings.

EDIT: So I took two hours and it's mostly done, it needs the writing and AI and playtesting and unit balancing but yeah I'm going to cheat.

Previews:

Spoiler

lJUo8Vk.pngFQApFig.png

EDIT 2: My rom broke and it didn't save properly so I'm gonna throw in the towel, actually.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am proud to be the only one to submit a project on Serenes Forest.

You might be saying that this is past the deadline. However, I actually sent this same patch to Vesly via private message yesterday at 11:30 PM or so.

I give you...Valternate Universe!

Valternate Universe.ups

Featuring:

Spoiler

HtQmUhY.png

Graphical glitches that you have to suspend and resume to fix!

qPxYfii.png

The generic enemy wyvern knight portrait, not seen in the regular game!

Ap6ojfe.png

A brand new team of Grado's finest!

wyeB31K.png

A druid that can't attack!

bpuwW8a.png

Duessel's portrait!

You can't recruit him though.

The great knight you get is Aias.

zbgt1SA.png

Subjunctive conditionals!

08le32u.pngZBhdMyK.png

Evil Glen!

He even has a boss quote with-

ELi1qCE.png

...himself.

I think I'm supposed to despawn one portrait during boss conversations but I'm not sure.

Also Valter can die and the map continues.

Have...fun, I think?

Here's how my "hour" went.

First, I messed around with the map a bit. I wanted a decently large to accommodate all the units I wanted to give the player. I tiled the map myself instead of using a generator which probably shows. After that I started placing enemies. The design for everything took under an hour to come up with, but I went over with actual unit placement.

Then I realized I would have to learn how to use eventing to change enemy AI mid chapter and that seemed really boring so I forgot about the contest for like a month.

So I took another hour on Halloween (I don't celebrate Halloween so I had free time) to finally figure that out and get the AI to sort of work how I wanted. There's a silence staff druid that I had trouble getting to stay still, probably because I didn't actually experiment with his AI much until last night.

I wrapped up the dialogue real quick, and thus finished my one hour blitz in about a month.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Amazing. Sounds like you had a good time. I am looking forward to trying this one out. 

All in all there were 15 submissions. That's quite a few! I'd like to continue playing and recording them at some point. I think round 2 will start on Jan 1st. 

1 hour ago, Vesly said:

Amazing. Sounds like you had a good time. I am looking forward to trying this one out.

I kind of did, actually. I hope it's moderately enjoyable from a map design perspective, I'd be honored to see your reaction.

Congratulations on a successful blitz.

• 5 weeks later...

@AnonymousSpeed

Here's your entry, which is the final one for round 1 of 1h Blitz.

The writing in this is solid! How much cheating went on, I wonder.. 
On the other hand, the gameplay lacked polish, true to 1h blitz, so you can't have cheated *that* much (on the combat, at least). I did have fun with it, but I would definitely suggest that you try a much smaller map next time! 

In a couple days I'll post the poll(s) to the thread over on feuniverse so we can vote on our favourite. If you missed any and want to skim over any of the videos, here's the full playlist. Thanks for the entries, everyone!

Edited by Vesly

1 hour ago, Vesly said:

The writing in this is solid!

I'm flattered.

1 hour ago, Vesly said:

On the other hand, the gameplay lacked polish, true to 1h blitz, so you can't have cheated *that* much (on the combat, at least). I did have fun with it, but I would definitely suggest that you try a much smaller map next time!

I think that's a great idea. I've started work on a Make a Fun Chapter entry and it's going to take the exact opposite approach to this- a small and goofy little chapter about Ainsley Harriot. Hopefully it will end up a little more entertaining to play.

I've been watching these videos on the Fire Emblem Universe thread and I've enjoyed them, but I have to say this was my favorite. No bias, of course.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:33 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

I've started work on a Make a Fun Chapter entry and it's going to take the exact opposite approach to this- a small and goofy little chapter about Ainsley Harriot.

This was my favorite [video]. No bias, of course.

Naturally unbiased. Glad you've been enjoying them. 

I look forward to your MAFC entry, then! 

Edit: 1h Blitz round one has wrapped up. Mafc5 is happening now, and eventually I hope for 1hB round two. Majority of the activity has happened over on feuniverse, so I've been only posting occasionally to this thread. 

Edited by Vesly