Tier lists are sooooooo 2010

ping

...Tier compasses is where it's at.

136787155_tiercompass.thumb.png.eef7c96419260f8842d6af60e7569512.png

There is some thought about where to exactly place the characters within the nine segments, but don't put too much thought into Pent being two pixels above Harken. Lucius and Canas are meant to be basically the same, for example, with Erk only slightly further right, and all three of them around the border between "decent" and "fun".

That said, all placements are of course 100% true and objective. I'm quite certain that this will put an end to any further discussions, but feel free to tell me just how correct I am.

Of course, compasses for other FE games are welcome - just not FE7, because why would you, there's already the final one right here.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I...well...I-I've never seen such a god-tier ranking.

Simply beautiful!

sheds a tear

Don't worry! One day, you too might be able to create perfect - or at the very least passable, not everyone is so goddamn talented and humble as me - tier compasses!

Maybe you'll even be able to create one without Lucius' bottom pixel row separated from the rest of his portrait because I was reshuffling the magic dudes a bit. It adds authenticity, though.

*checks to make sure it’s fftf*image.thumb.png.0b584dc536aa6316e181e8804452c5b3.png

Look I made tier list anyway hah it’s objective don’t @ me ur opinions trash

Edited by Sooks1016

4 hours ago, ping said:

That said, all placements are of course 100% true and objective. I'm quite certain that this will put an end to any further discussions, but feel free to tell me just how correct I am.

You put Wil in the wrong box, he should be in the top right

Actually though, why is he separate from Rebecca? Is it because he joins way later without Lyn mode?

(I just keep having really blessed Wils when I play Lyn mode don't @ me. Or do, I don't mind.)

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not perfect of course

EXCUSE YOU

9 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Actually though, why is he separate from Rebecca? Is it because he joins way later without Lyn mode?

It's because Wil is awful and boring, while Rebecca is just awful. Pay attention, geez

Spoiler

Actual answer: Rebecca is slightly higher because she has some free utility in chapters 11-14, where you can deploy your entire roster. Wil usually pulls two Peg knights with Javelins in Noble Lady and then doesn't really do anything for the rest of the playthrough, unless I really want to use him (or in my ranked runs where he can get some additional XP later on).

And Rebecca is a fair bit further right because of minor things adding up:

• more Spd means that she has some actual player phase presence more quickly than Wil, doubling enemy archers, axe fighters, or pegasus knights much earlier than him.
  • If you care for it, she has better support options, both with good units (Sain, Lowen, Raven (whose Wil support is unreasonably slow)) and fun options (Nino, mostly, since Dart supports both Becky and Wil)
  • At the start of the game, Soldiers are a fairly common enemy type, and they make Rebecca look much more competent than she actually is. Once Wil joins, you run into them a lot less often, if at all.

I honestly didn't really consider Lyn mode - even when I play it, it always feels more like a pre-game grinding session than part of the gameplay proper. The maps just aren't very interesting, even in the later stages of LHM.

Spoiler

tiers.png.b48e7dc9ad1af18dd9eec2ec84d962c8.png

...seems about right

• 2 weeks later...

804541420_tiercompassFE9.thumb.png.a2a9f54d6985f712c8581a1d6978664b.png

Another true and objective compass! Top/down isn't super set in stone, but if you disagree with the left/right placement, you're clearly wrong and probably smell, too.

Something that this helped me realize: PoR has a dearth of units that are bad, but still fun to use! In fact, being "good" and "fun" seems to go much more hand in hand than it does in Blazing Sword. Almost all of the time, a bad unit doesn't have anything that would make it more enjoyable to use - Tormod (who comes late and underleveled enough to be bad) is one exception because his movement sets him apart from Soren and Ilyana; Mist as a combat unit is another. She is a bit lower on the compass than she really deserves, just to indicate how fun (and bad) it is to get her to wield the magic swords. For boring (and smelly) players, she belongs further up and left.

On the plus side, this also means that using the best units is generally more fun than in other FE games. I think it helps that most of them are growth units - we all know that it's more satisfying to raise a unit to be broken than to just use what the game just handing over for free.

Note the Hot Take (TM) that Mia's earlygame contributions outweigh Zihark's better performance down the line.

12 hours ago, ping said:

but if you disagree with the left/right placement, you're clearly wrong and probably smell, too.

I don't disagree, but it appears that you misclicked and didn't put Titania as far left as possible on the compass.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, Benice said:

I don't disagree, but it appears that you misclicked and didn't put Titania as far left as possible on the compass.

Maybe you should cut down on the garlic a little

Nah, by Jeigan standards, Titania is very fun to use, only really beaten by FE6!Marcus on HM. It helps that, thanks to BEXP, she becomes less overwhelmingly powerful fairly quickly, but - and that's the important part - she remains a unit worth using until the very end of the game, thanks to her excellent growth rates. Another big factor is that PoR enemies tend to be very harmless, but numerous and fairly bulky, so having an earlygame unit that can clear groups of enemies quickly makes that part of the game play out a lot more smoothly.

See? Logical and objectively true.