Do you still live with your parents? I mean no disrepect.

Zerxen

Live with family or nay  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Live with family or nay

• Yes and I plan to stay with them for some time
    • Yes but I plan to move out soon
    • Nope

I am from the U.S. (live in California) and I still live with mine. I am a 21 yo University student who commuted to campus so I basically had no reason to move out (especially since this is a pretty costly state). I would love to move out asap but I am unemployed (being a commuter living in a Spanish speaking neighborhood made it hard to find work; COVID made it even harder). Luckily my parents aren't total dicks and I could bear to live with them for a few more years. Most of my friends still live with theirs and I only know less than a handful who officially moved out- I don't consider living in a dorm to be "moving out." It also helps that some of them are Hispanic and they tend to have strong cultural ties.

What about you guys? I grew up with the mentality that parents kick their kids out ASAP but I guess my family doesn't subscribe to that idea. FWIW this concept is dying out due to the economy (I think half of millennial today still live with their parents?).

Once I finish school and get employed, I plan on staying home for at least a year. I rather save up money for a decent apartment and not live check to check for the next few decades.

I'm in a mirror situation where I'm still living with my sister, but it's a temporary arrangement so she can telework with a reasonable internet speed - it's too slow at our parent's house. Although it'd be more accurate to say she's living with me, because I'm the one leasing the apartment.

If you asked 15 months ago my answer would have been yes, because that was just before I found sufficient work to move out. The current economy isn't kind to out-of-college entry level job seekers.

I lived with my parents all through college and +1 year while I established myself professionally in my field (and financially) and it was great - so I did exactly what you want to do lmao. I think it's ridiculous that people think it's necessary for families to separate as soon as possible and the amount of judgment I used to get saying I "still" lived with my parents was pretty bothering. It's only bad if people are unhappy about it. If everyone in the house is chill with it, I don't understand why there's any societal judgment

I moved out in my second year of university and never looked back. Lived in a dorm in first year university, but I kept going back every weekend and went back to live with them during the summer. Living with them would be convenient and cheap, but my family's attitude and beliefs about life don't mesh very well with mine and they are not the kind of people to live and let live. So I'm very glad i moved out. I don't live alone though. I roommate with friends and that makes stuff fairly affordable and fun!

I'm 26 and still here. But the person I work with/for is also here. If I moved out, I would just come back here every morning, 5-10 hours a day. And this situation won't change any time soon barring some unforeseen catastrophe. I can technically quit the job and move out, placing an immense burden on my family, but other work prospects never seemed all that enticing. Certainly not in terms of pay or satisfaction from the job. Sorry if all that seems too much information, but I'm asked a lot about why I haven't moved out by people my age.

Kind of wish I had the experience of interacting with roommates though. I've thought of so many fun pranks.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Specta said:

I think it's ridiculous that people think it's necessary for families to separate as soon as possible and the amount of judgment I used to get saying I "still" lived with my parents was pretty bothering. It's only bad if people are unhappy about it. If everyone in the house is chill with it, I don't understand why there's any societal judgment

While I don't necessarily enjoy living with my parents, I do agree with this statement. Throughout history, most homes have been multi-generational and moving out when you turn 18 is a just a recent mentality adopted by the West.

FWIW I have an uncle in his 40s, married, and he still lives with his mother, never having moved out. Living in a household with your wife and your mother is probably strange to most people living in the West.

Edited by Zerxen

I am 29 and still live with my parents.  The main reason is I have type 1 diabetes and have very hard to control blood sugar and my mom is the only person I trust to help me if I go really low.  

Well, I'm 18 (19 in a little over a month), and I still live with my parents. I'm doing online college this semester, and where I work right now doesn't pay all too well, so monetarily, it wouldn't make sense for me to move out right now. (However, where I work will be closing in December, so I'll have the chance to look for something new (and hopefully way better paying), although that doesn't mean I'm gonna dip out anytime soon.)

I don't think living with your parents should be looked down upon. Everyone has different living situations, so there should be zero reason to judge who other people live with, relatives or otherwise. Besides, the people complaining about people living with their parents have lived with their parents at some point in their lives. Checkmate.

I’m 29 and I’m still live with my mom. It’s much easier for the both of us financially. We both contribute to paying rent, food, electricity and etc. And because of that we both have a lot more money to spend on things we want than we would have if we lived alone each.

I moved out of my parents house half way through my first year of college. Since then it's been sort of a safety net, a place to retreat to in between summer holidays at first and jobs later. Since I've chosen to live over ten thousand kilometers away from home however, that hasn't been common of late. If I still lived in my home country now I probably would be living with them though with the whole Covid situation. I've talked about this matter with quite a few people and it's usually the working parents who are far more unhappy with the living at home arrangement than the children.

I'm now 27 and I still live with my father. Part of the reason is that I go to university in my hometown and while I could theoretically move out, our family isn't the best off financially, and so us still living together is the best arrangement at the moment, because we share the bills.
Though it's not like I dislike it, in all honesty.

Yeah, I do. I'm an online college student (and have been for the past two years) and living with my parents has been the best for all of us financially.

That, and the fact that my college is in a location with high crime rates as well as being incredibly difficult to find reasonably priced places to live in made it a much more ideal option overall.

My parents don't have a problem with it, and neither do I. If anything, I love the state I live in and am glad to be able to stay in my home town for the time being.

Yes. I did used to have plans to strike out on my own one day, but... that was before I became co-owner of the house.

I'm currently 22, 23 on December 5th, and because of circumstances with my upbringing (without becoming specific) I was able to come to enough money to help my mother afford to own a house for the family to live in, you know a place we could always rely on being there no matter what happens. We never really "owned" a house until this one, and we've moved a fair number of times in my life, so knowing this house is here means more to me than living by my lonesome.

...it would be nice to own something like an RV or 70's van with a bed in the back, something I could live in on the road...

When not staying in a dorm I lived with my parents through college(2006-2010) and quite some time afterwards; parent proceeded to divorce each other after I graduated(they told me and my brother they had been planning doing so for quite a while but wanted to wait until I got out of college to do it).

I could not afford to live by myself, everything I had made went to loans and insurance; and didn't have any options to move in with someone I could trust enough to share bills with.

4 years ago I moved in with my wife(then girlfriend) who lived with her mom after being convinced by both, and married the last day of February(hows that for timing?)

So while I technically don't live with my parents, it still essentially kind of feels the same? Moving in the area wouldn't be possible based on our income, any other house or apartment would probably be at least double in rent.

My wife and I both 32 would really like to have our own place but its unrealistic.

• 2 weeks later...

I do, yes. I see no sense in sacrificing the security of living with people I trust and saddling myself with a ton of extra expenses, given, well... the state of things nowadays.

Besides, do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole "rush to move out as soon as you're legally an adult" thing a distinctly Western concept? I've heard that, globally, multiple generations of a family sharing a living space together generally isn't considered unusual or shameful or low-class at all, but I haven't really extensively researched that or anything.