What do you think will happen when Heroes ends? What do you wish would happen?

XRay

I hope Heroes is going to be with us for a long while, but I still think it is going to end some day. What do you think will happen when it ends? How do you want it to end?

For how it will end, I think they will just cut the service and we cannot access the game anymore. If you still have the app, it will just give you an error screen or something when you open the app. I do not think there are any gacha games that remains playable after they shut it down.

For how I want it to end, they can cut the online connectivity and turn the game into an offline app. The PvP modes can be filled with semi random units to simulate teams built by real players. I want the option to toggle resources to be infinite or not, so we can summon however much we want, try creative builds, and have full customization, but you can still experience what Heroes was like when it was alive and see how long it took for players to accumulate Orbs and other resources. Make Sacred Seals unlimited, so more than one unit can use the same Sacred Seal, and make every skill available as a Sacred Seal. Expand the Barracks to at least six times the roster (so you can have six Traits for each unit). It would also be nice to give us the option to remove skill inheritance restrictions, so anyone can use any exclusive Weapon or out-of-class skill (Bold Fighter-Spd/Res Rein Reinhardt sounds pretty fun; or LG!Alm with double Spurn on top of Urvan).

I'm not in touch with the mobile space and how these sorts of games end. But I can't imagine the servers being all that costly to keep up. In addition to hiring a few people to decide how banners and revival events are distributed. They can't keep putting content in the game forever, but they have the ability to just re-run tempest trials and forging bonds events forever so that there's always a schedule of things to do. And players just sort of grind and occassionally get baited into spending money. Heck even the anniversary events for this game are just a short influx of free resources distributed in login bonuses and randomly generated maps. The game runs itself 97% of the time.

Plus shutting down the game anytime before the game reaches ten years old feels a bit callous to me, since so many players spent so much time, effort, and money into their units. As much as I'd love to show people playing this game that their units have no real world value or permanence, I can't imagine having the courage to just pull that plug if I were really the one in charge.

But okay, let's say it's 2027, and they announce the servers shutting down in February 2028. As a final cash grab favor to the players, all 5 star rates on banners are doubled, and each day has a new daily banner that lasts five days. These banners run the entire gambit from hero fests to mythic banners. Just the best, juiciest banners ever. Also units that are separated from certain summoning pools (like for right now gen 1 five stars like Azura, Lucina, etc) get put back into the normal summoning pool at 4 star rarity. Also, every GHB, BHB, and LHB/MHB are permanently available to attempt for those that missed out on those challenges. It'll be an ugly list of stuff in "Special Maps" but that didn't stop them from making a mess of the tactics drills screen. And throughout the year rerun every TT and every Forging Bonds you can in an expedited fashion. Say, three days to each event, and it takes just a quarter of the points to get all the rewards. Also flip the switch that gives everybody permanent Feh Pass, since we'll be doing all that auto battling. Maybe that all sounds a bit generous, but as long as the option to spend money is there and the reasons to spend money are always there, the suckers will open their wallets for fear of not finishing their +10 6 star rarity merges

Edited by Glennstavos

Personally, what I'm curious about is precedent for what happens in gacha games in the months before servers go down. Are there any noticeable changes from the players' side, like slowing down or stopping new content? How far in advance do players usually notice that the end is approaching, and how long before the final shutdown date does the company announce it?

Also, how might Heroes' ties with a major IP affect this? Could it make them more careful about making sure it plays out in a way that doesn't look too bad to the players, to try to avoid getting backlash that spreads to the main series? Especially since both Heroes and the main series are made by the same company, so I think there's more of a risk of that than with gacha games that involve licensing to a third party.

No experience with other gachas, but I can also see IS/Nintendo using it to definitely promote their newest mainline FE game... maybe two, if we're lucky.  A little different than most standalone gachas in that it's a glorified advertisement that pays for itself.

honestly i think FEH will end probably at the end of next year or in 2022. I dont see it going any further.
This is just my personal opinion based on my experience. I am spending less (actually almost none) on FEH nowadays and I am playing less and less.
Personally i think they will just keep the servers up but offer no updates anymore at the end and at some point will shut down the servers later down the line.

Most got ya games nowadays continuously update the games they make rather than make new ones or a "part 2". However, in order to make major changes to the problems in this game... that might be something they have to do

Because another thing got ya games never do is massive overhauls of all of their game modes. We have seen them make some changes multiple times already but eh

This game sucks

I can't say I'm familiar with any other gacha games beyond their titles so it'd be interesting to know if any other games of similar size to FEH have shut down in the past. There are a lot of MMOs that have shut down of course, but it *feels* different when it's a game you pay a subscription for, versus one you essentially buy items directly from. In one, you essentially are paying for a service, and when that service is terminated, you stop paying, simple enough. Yet if I had to guess, the end of FEH would probably be not too dissimilar - a few months notice of a drop dead date. (On the other end of the spectrum is something like a digital goods store like Audible or even Steam shutting down and losing all your stuff that way, but that's far too extreme a comparison in the other direction because the utility of the stuff you buy is independent of the platform it runs on.)

As to when that might happen, I would have even less of a clue. As a casual player of the FE series in general, I've made my feelings known that I feel the game is pretty much "done" in terms of character representation, with the possible exception of Three Houses. My summoning decisions these days are pretty much 100% down to the utility of the unit. There probably hasn't been a unit that I felt I must absolutely have for some time, a year perhaps. But are my general feelings reflected in the sales trends of each banner? I have no way of knowing. The other factor perhaps is that Nintendo Mobile's other titles don't exactly seem to be going gangbusters. Perhaps they'd want to try to land another golden goose before cooking this one, even if the eggs it lays are getting a bit smelly. Once they've got that new title, they can quietly put the kibosh on this one, and after a break or a year or two perhaps, launch a new FE mobile game, perhaps alongside a new mainline title.

It's perhaps apt that I'm here typing this instead of playing these days. I was glancing at my phone a few times over the course of day knowing I had to get the chores like AA and the two manual AR runs of the week done, but I've now decided not to do them at all. So to the question of how I want it to end, I don't think I'd have a personal interest beyond academic curiosity. I'm not sure I'll see out the year at this stage, even in my low-commitment phase. Odds say no.

My stab-in-the-dark guess? I would say that if the next FE title for Switch is a remake as many are predicting, FEH will be done around about that time as they'll have nothing new to sell. Dunno how the majority of you would feel, but a year of New Heroes who are all just existing characters with a new design but the same weapons and personality and all that is not something to look forward to. A year or two of Valentian Catrias, basically.

23 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

My stab-in-the-dark guess? I would say that if the next FE title for Switch is a remake as many are predicting, FEH will be done around about that time as they'll have nothing new to sell. Dunno how the majority of you would feel, but a year of New Heroes who are all just existing characters with a new design but the same weapons and personality and all that is not something to look forward to. A year or two of Valentian Catrias, basically.

A remake would not imply Heroes a year of New Heroes alts from it, or even any New Heroes alts from it. Most of the New Heroes from this past year haven't been 3H units at all, and that's a new game.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

A remake would not imply Heroes a year of New Heroes alts from it, or even any New Heroes alts from it. Most of the New Heroes from this past year haven't been 3H units at all, and that's a new game.

Didn't mean it literally, but in a sense of who the main attractions are. Again I can only guess, but I'd imagine the big money-spinners of recent times have been 3H banners, at least in a relative sense. And if they do even fewer banners of the theoretical remake than they have of 3H over the past year-and-a-bit, well I've stated my belief that the well is pretty dry now.

32 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Didn't mean it literally, but in a sense of who the main attractions are. Again I can only guess, but I'd imagine the big money-spinners of recent times have been 3H banners, at least in a relative sense. And if they do even fewer banners of the theoretical remake than they have of 3H over the past year-and-a-bit, well I've stated my belief that the well is pretty dry now.

There's other ways to replenish the well. A remake would increase the profitability of still-missing units on New Heroes banners, as well as that of existing ones on Special Heroes or Legendary banners. Plus, it'd probably have some new characters.

Not as effective as a new game, but it'd still help.

While not necessarily gacha games, there are a few free-to-start Nintendo games that are no longer being updated but are still running:
Last time I've checked, Nintendo Badge Arcade is still running but it's no longer being updated due to memory limitations of the 3DS.
Pokemon Shuffle is also still running but is no longer being updated.

On the other hand, F2P games of popular franchises do get discontinued at some point.
Pokemon Duel got shut down after 3 years of operation.
Sword Art Online had multiple mobile games, at least 2 of which got shut down. One of those 2 games only lasted a year of operation.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure had Diamond Records as a mobile gacha game -- it got shut down after 2 years of operation.

I dunno where FEH could go. Perhaps it could go the way of Badge Arcade simply because it would become too big of a game that it would require a disproportionate amount of players to upgrade their phones to the newest model or something, especially since FEH runs on both iOS and Android platforms.

I think Heroes is still good for one or two more years before they shut it down. Though most of the recognizable and popular characters are in the game now so I wonder how long they can go putting lesser known/popular characters on New Heroes banners and putting the popular ones on seasonal banners. I guess it just depends if Nintendo thinks Heroes is making enough money to keep the app going and once it doesn't they will pull the plug. At least Heroes is still Nintendo's most popular mobile title besides Mario Kart Tour maybe (Heroes is the only Nintendo mobile game I play and follow).

As @Othin mentioned, I'm more curious about how games like this usually end. It'd be astoundingly bad PR to just kill the game without much notice, but at the same time, it seems like it'd be hard to justify adding any new content as I doubt players would be willing to spend much on something that's going to be gone in a couple months or whatever the typical time frame is for announcements, and saying that there won't be future new content is effectively just telling people the game is going to be shut down, just with a longer notice.

As for what I hope happens, I honestly don't know. To me, it's basically just collecting baseball cards at this point, and it's not like physical collectibles where you can hold onto them for later, so I can't say I'm all that invested in what they do.

I think they will just shut down the game and replace it with something else, either a new gacha or maybe bring cipher to mobile? Something I hope is that they will post an archive with all the characters' arts and voices.

On 10/4/2020 at 1:37 AM, XRay said:

For how I want it to end, they can cut the online connectivity and turn the game into an offline app. The PvP modes can be filled with semi random units to simulate teams built by real players. I want the option to toggle resources to be infinite or not, so we can summon however much we want, try creative builds, and have full customization, but you can still experience what Heroes was like when it was alive and see how long it took for players to accumulate Orbs and other resources. Make Sacred Seals unlimited, so more than one unit can use the same Sacred Seal, and make every skill available as a Sacred Seal. Expand the Barracks to at least six times the roster (so you can have six Traits for each unit). It would also be nice to give us the option to remove skill inheritance restrictions, so anyone can use any exclusive Weapon or out-of-class skill (Bold Fighter-Spd/Res Rein Reinhardt sounds pretty fun; or LG!Alm with double Spurn on top of Urvan).

This is more or less how I would want it to end, too. Make it an offline app to play for fun and give the player full control and creativity over their units. While player interactivity within the game would pretty much be next to zero, people can share the crazy builds that they come up with online on forums like this. I think it would also be a lot of fun to have infinite summoning. It's probably the one feature of the game that I have some of the most fun with. Anyway, they've already made a ton of money off of this game, so that would be a decent "send-off" for the players who've dedicated so much time to the game. As someone who's been playing since launch, I can't imagine this game going offline, especially since it makes so much money, but I know that it's inevitable at some point.

At the same time, I don't want to say goodbye to the heroes I've built up, either. I have 9 +10 units that I've built from scratch, so to see all the time and effort that I've put into them go away would be a huge kick in the balls. 

Something I really wish they'd do is allow us to export our units into whatever new game they decide to make. Every single skill they've gotten gets transferred with them, and any skills they specifically cut out of the game get converted into some in-game resource they come up with (like Feathers for FEH, but probably something different for the next game).

If that next game also decides to give units skins for their units (instead of separating them into different units like in FEH), having those units exported in also unlocking those skins for free (or at least available to buy at a permanent discount) would be very nice.

+10 units exported into the game (even if they don't retain their merges upon being transferred) should receive something like a special badge that they can only get by being brought into the game this way. Same with having +5/10/15 Dragonflowers (depending on what their max is).

Thing is, I think of my units like Pokemon in a way. They grow, become stronger, obtain new skills, and more...I feel like they should be able to have the units out-last the game, like Pokemon do when they're transferred or migrated into a newer game. We spent a bunch of money on these guys, they shouldn't just disappear like nothing...

I also think IS is missing out on making custom models/action figures of FEH units, or at the very least making AR cards like Nintendo did for some 3DS games and apps.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

Well a reason why Cipher is ending was because of FEH , so i don't think it's gonna end like next year or  in two years or so. 
and honestly i'll be sad. I love this game. it netted me a lot of friends, a vested interest in the series and because of the friendships, i got into different games i didn't think i would. 

Hopefully it doesn't end. If it does, then yeah, an offline version sounds best. It'd blow to no longer have any access to the game after investing so much time into it. Even a bit of money too. I've never played a game from the app store that quit, so hopefully it doesn't happen. It feels like the game has only been growing too. Anyway, it's already depressing enough that they're discontinuing Cipher, I'd hate for it to happen to FEH to.

I hope they have some plan to resolve the plot, while most game modes I skip or auto battle, I’m still interested in the plot, like what is controlling Veronica and Bruno, and what is Loki plotting.