Repointing and expanding the Class List

lushen124

I feel like this is probably something stupid I'm missing, but I've been trying to create a clone class for an existing class to better manage promotions and effectiveness. So I've copied the 0x20D0 bytes from the default location in FE7 (0xBE015C) to the bottom of the file (0x1000000). I then updated the pointers to 00 00 00 09 (three instances replaced). So far everything works up to this point. All of the existing classes still work fine.

I then go and copy Lyn's class and paste it to the end at index 0x64 after some of the placeholder classes that apparently are known to cause issues. I also update the class number appropriately to 0x64 (this is the only change I make). Then I give this class to a unit in the chapter data. This causes the game to freeze once that unit tries to load. Is there something else that needs to be done when adding a new class? It doesn't use any new animations or sprites. Everything points to a known working class. If I use the original class (0x2) everything still works. So my current guess is that it doesn't like reading past 0x63 or that there's another table that is implicitly tied to the class table that I'm unaware of.

Never mind, I figured it out. For future reference if anybody has the same question: The map sprite table is, for whatever reason, tied implicitly to the class table, so if you move the class table and start adding classes, the map sprite table also needs to move, and each class should have a corresponding entry in the table. Why the index to the map sprite in the class data isn't sufficient, I don't know, but this was the root cause of issues for me.