The Don’t Make Fire Emblem Contest

robinco

Banner

The Don't Make Fire Emblem Contest is an SRPG Studio chapter creation contest hosted by MarkyJoe (posted here with his permission).

As suggested by the title, the idea is to "not make Fire Emblem", something which is up to the creator to interpret. The goal of this contest is to demonstrate how flexible and powerful of a creation tool SRPG Studio is. It's not just an inferior alternative to hacking or other FE-making software!

The contest has already finished accepting submissions, having a total of 19 unique and high-quality entries. MarkyJoe will be putting up videos on his Youtube channel.

You can watch the introduction video below!

I'll be posting links to the submission videos as they become available (mods, please let me know if this is a problem).

First up, we've got Emblem Craft by Ephraim225. This game combines resource collection and management with strategy role-playing (think Minecraft, Age of Empires or Civilization)!

Edited by robinco

Heya Robinco. Thank you for posting this.

I'm hoping with this contest, I can garner more interest in SRPG Studio as an engine, since while it's great now, it can go way further than what's possible now. The things I listed in the video are just the tip of the ice berg. Lady Rena/Claris recently began implementing a MegaMan: Battle Network style system, and there's a fairly old plugin for Gaiden-Style exploration.

I'm confident I can finish this contest within a reasonable time frame despite the huge number of submissions. Thankfully, the contest had a 1-hour length limit that was enforced by my team of judges, so playing through these will be lightning fast.

Oh yeah. One last thing. None of these videos will be Let's Plays. I feel the format has become obsoleted by scripted content and streaming, since the former allows the creator to precisely articulate their thoughts and critiques, while the latter gives users a greater sense of authenticity and interaction. All of the videos will be scripted.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

14 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm interested.

Where can I play Battle Network emblem?

I don't believe it's currently playable, yet. But if you go on the discord (linked in the videos) and ping Claris, she'll probably pretty happily bombard you with videos of its current state and progress updates.

And as a more general point, having played all the entries, I can fully recommend keeping an eye out for the future videos, or just going playing the games from the game jam page, because there's so much cool stuff. Both from the perspective of the ideas of ways the genre can be taken and the simply impressive feats that the community can muster.

5 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Wouldn't just making a sci fi space drama count as "don't make fire emblem"? Or all the characters are cats or dogs or something?

You...can still do that and call it Fire Emblem; one of the original plans for Awakening was using Mars as its setting. Gameplay, on the other hand, is what defines the series, in which I believe making something that defies generic SRPG gameplay (or even turning it into something else, pushing the limit of the engine) is what the GameJam is all about.

Edited by GodSejeong97

49 minutes ago, GodSejeong97 said:

You...can still do that and call it Fire Emblem; one of the original plans for Awakening was using Mars as its setting. Gameplay, on the other hand, is what defines the series, in which I believe making something that defies generic SRPG gameplay (or even turning it into something else, pushing the limit of the engine) is what the GameJam is all about.

I did hear about that Awakening thing. But thank you for explaining.

Honestly, the stuff seen is nothing short of impressive. I've already dl'd some of the stuff myself and tried them.

SRPG studio is really really powerful. More people need to give the engine a try, as i've seen amazing stuff done by both western and japanese fangames in that engine.

Thanks for the help, GodSejeong97. And to you, Shrimperor, I think once the engine gets some better art assets from the community, there will be a significant increase in people who use it. It's just going to take a while because the community has a bit of an artist drought. Some fellas are beginning to tighten their belts and get good at art though, so maybe the issue won't last for much longer.

Next video is up.

Today, we look over a submission that... literally just makes Fire Emblem. BUT WITH A TWIST! You can't do normal attacks except as a counter attack on enemy phase. Instead, you can only use combat arts. How well is this concept executed? Let's find out:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...