Could I use them?

James Marshall

I have a question about a challenge for Radiant Dawn that I'm hoping to do next year. Can you advise?

If I do a challenge in which I only use characters that either you must use or that are either Nobility or Royal could I use the following?

Titania as its not confirmed whether she is or isn't nobility and commoners can become Knights of Crimea

Mist as her father was once A Noble or Daein but due to his actions is no longer A Noble of Daein

Pelleas as he is legally recognized as The King of Daein. but he definitely isn't royalty and as he's a orphan its known if he is or isn't related to nobility

Most if not all None-Royal Laguz, this is because it isn't confirmed if they are or aren't Nobility and among The Laguz some positions of power in their armies are given to those that are physically powerful rather then those that are Nobility

Stefan as its not confirmed if he is descended from Nobility but as he is the ruler of a large community of Branded even if he A Commoner he may qualify

Calil as she may be from The Countryside but its never said whether or not she is or isn't nobility

Soren as he carries The Royal Blood of both Daein and Goldoa but has lived his entire life as A Commoner and even if certain requirements are met then even by the end of the game only his mother and uncle know who and what he is

The biggest doubt is Marcia and Makalov, this is because as far as I'm aware you have to be Nobility to join The Holy Guard so I'm assuming Marcia is Nobility but her brother Makalov acts, thinks and talks like a commoner so I'm not sure

Edited by James Marshall
Spotted a few errors with gramma

16 hours ago, James Marshall said:

Titania as its not confirmed whether she is or isn't nobility and commoners can become Knights of Crimea

There is nothing pointing to her having nobility ties in the game. If it's not explicitly said, assume they're not.

Mist as her father was once A Noble or Daein but due to his actions is no longer A Noble of Daein

Greil came from a certain amount of renown, but was it ever confirmed he was a noble? I know Ashnard was the first to give the opportunity of becoming a rider to anyone strong enough, so Gawain must have had some sort of title, but not sure if that means he's a noble. And even if Gawain was a noble, as Greil he was not, meaning Mist never was a noble. I'd say no.

Pelleas as he is legally recognized as The King of Daein's King as he definitely isn't royalty but it isn't confirmed if he is or isn't related to nobility

During the game he is king, king definitely counts as nobility.

Most if not all None-Royal as its isn't confirmed if they are or aren't Nobility and among The Laguz some of positions of power in their armies are given to those that are physically powerful rather then those that are Nobility

Pretty sure that besides kings/queens there is no nobility system to speak of within the Laguz communities.

Stefan as its not confirmed if he is descended from Nobility but as he is the ruler of a large community of Branded even if he A Commoner he may qualify

Where was it said he is the ruler of said village? I recall him only saying he's from there.

Calil as she may be from The Countryside but its never said whether or not she is or isn't nobility

As with Titania, this is just wild speculation, she's a commoner trying to pass as something more, but she isn't.

The biggest doubt is Marcia and Makalov, this is because as far as I'm aware you have to be Nobility to join The Holy Guard so I'm assuming Marcia is Nobility but her brother Makalov acts, thinks and talks like a commoner so I'm not sure

Is that true? Is this said in a support with Tanith or does Sigrun mention this? That's actually an interesting bit of information I may have missed, as it does sound plausible.

17 hours ago, James Marshall said:

Soren as he carries The Royal Blood of both Daein and Goldoa but has lived his entire life as A Commoner and even if certain requirements are met then even by the end of the game only his mother and uncle know who and what he is

Well this one is completely up to you, do you only count people who are recognized as nobility, or also those born into it but then lost their titles?

You can also ignore everything I said, your challenge your rules, how hard do you want to make it for yourself?

Depends on your definition of "nobility". Do you go by blood? Influential status? Or Both? Since you're limiting yourself to noble characters, I'll make a list containing both noble by blood and status. See:

Spoiler
  • Micaiah
  • Leonardo
  • Tauroneo
  • Jill
  • Fiona
  • Nailah 
  • Rafiel
  • Black Knight (sorta, but you can't really have Micaiah solo that one chapter)
  • Elincia
  • Marcia
  • Leanne
  • Haar? (He was in Begnion's Holy Dracoknights, which may also be comprised of elite noblemen, like the Holy Guards)
  • Lucia
  • Geoffrey
  • Makalov
  • Astrid
  • Ike
  • Soren
  • Mist
  • Reyson
  • Sigrun
  • Tanith
  • Naesala
  • Skrimir
  • Sanaki
  • Tibarn
  • Pelleas
  • Oliver
  • Bastion
  • Renning
  • Caineghis
  • Giffca? (not technically a Royal Laguz, but holds a high position of power within Gallian Court)
  • Ena
  • Kurthnaga
  • Nasir
  • Gareth
  • Lehran

For your questions in the top post:

1. I didn't list Titania before because it's unclear if she was a noble. If anything Greil trying to "fit in" as a commoner would encourage him to have a commoner as his second-in-command. Her background info states she was an elite officer for Crimea, but Crimea wasn't as strict with nobles leading the army. (anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. Commoners leading could have been a much more recent development in the game's lore). She could be, but I would need to replay PoR when she talks about how she met Greil.
  2. I consider Mist a noble because it's in her bloodline. Yes, she never lived like a lady of the court, but she still has the lineage. Funnily enough, her promoted class, Valkyrie, is often the class of noblewomen (i.e. Nanna, Cecilia, Clarine, Priscilla, L'arachel).
  3. IIRC Izuka said he found some poor orphan boy and dressed him up as a prince and that's how we got Pelleas. He's not noble by blood, but recognized as noble. Recognition is enough for me to call him noble, since he does hold the title.
  4. Yes, the Beast Tribe gives positions of influence to whoever is the strongest. However, I would still call them noble because they have a high status in their society. Also, certain bloodlines in the Laguz tribe may be predisposed to being physically strong, so it's perfectly possible that the same families stay in power. For example, Skrimir is the nephew of Caineghis and is the next in line to the throne. It's probably common for high ranking beast laguz families to wed among each other, in order to keep their bloodline strong. Plus, Giffca is also a lion-type beast and was raised alongside Caineghis, so it's possible they both came from high ranking families themselves. As for the other Laguz tribes, status and strength may not be as interchangeable, but still important. 
  5. Stefan is more like a Chief/Mayor of Branded Town. He is a leader of a community, which means he does hold some form of status. However, I didn't put his name in the list before because he's only in charge of a small settlement, and not a whole country like the other characters are/were/can. It's your choice to consider him noble. Yes, he's a leader, but his power will not be recognized outside of his village.
  6. Calill is introduced as a talented mercenary with brains and beauty. Although she does bare some resemblance to Bastion and has magical aptitude like him, there isn't any dialogue to indicate she's from a noble family. At most, she was a small town girl with big city dreams and a knack for magic.
  7. If we're going to call Ike and Mist nobility because they have lineage, then we'll do the same for Soren. Soren is actually more noble than Ike and Mist, as he has not one, but 2 bloodlines connected to kings.
  8. To get into the Holy Guard, only the most physically elite of Begnion noblewomen are allowed to join. This would mean that Marcia, and by extension, Makalov, are of noble birth. Makalov is a screw up, but who says noblemen can't be screw ups too?

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 5:30 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

If you can use Ike then you can use Mist. Other than that, Soren and Pelleas.

Not really cos the only units I'm using that aren't nobles are those that you must use. Hence I can only use Mist in the battles that you must use her in

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Stefan becomes a ruler until post-game (even then that may be more implied rather than a fact, but I always took it as him becoming one). I recall in his epilogue strip saying, he gathered like-minded individuals to form a tiny, independent settlement which later became a great country. Not sure how spot on that is, but it was something along those lines. As for his lineage, he is the descendant of Soan. Despite being a royal laguz, he was still the King of Begnion, so that counts for something.

Edit: Also, Pelleas serves in the royal court post-game. I would imagine you'd have to be a noble to do that. I'm certain Micaiah would've appointed him as one.

Edited by SSbardock84