Starting my first playthrough today, and looking for some general tips and advice. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys!

Just looking for any general information and/or tips for a first playthrough. I did not play Gaiden, and from what research I did on this game, it seems vastly different from other FE titles I’ve played so far. I’m doing a Hard/Classic run, I won’t be doing any excessive grinding (but may do some if I have a chance at good loot or if some units I want to use are falling behind), and I have no interest in any “endgame” related stuff. Some spoilers are fine, just nothing major in regards to the story/plot.

So with that said, I’m looking for tips on the following:

- What units are worth using? Any units I should avoid altogether?

- Good/Best weaponry? Any good places to look out for to farm said good loot?

- Best classes and class options for the villagers. Or better yet, if there all pretty good options, any classes I should avoid putting them into? And if I’m not mistaken, it seems like promoting as soon as possible seems to be the more viable option (as growths seem really bad in this game)? Is re-classing a thing in this game.. like if I make someone a mage, can I make them a archer at a later time?

- Skills/Combat Arts/Passives.. etc.. I’m a little confused on this part. So from my understanding, weapons have Combat Arts (CA) attached to them, and they are unlocked after using said weapon enough times.. this part I think I get get. Now as for Passives, do these function similar to CA, except they don’t need to be unlocked and are always active once the weapon is equipped? Anything else I need to know here?

- Learned Spells.. and White/Black Magic. So there’s no tomes and staffs in this game, and anything magic related is learned.. is that correct? And the spells that you learn are character dependent not class dependent..? Is there any class-based skills in this game?

- The fatigue system. Is this something you really have to micro-manage, or is it really not that bad? I tried looking into it, and have read (probably misinterpreted) different reports as to how it works. Does it not affect the main game, and only affects units when doing dungeons, or is that incorrect? Any other tips on how to manage fatigue and work around it would be awesome.

- Anything else that could prove useful for a first time playthrough that isn’t so easily picked up/noticeable, or just any general tips/hints would be great.

______

I think that’s everything. I apologize if these questions have been thoroughly discussed or if this information is readily available, but from my end everything I came across didn’t really offer the most direct answers. So I just want to say thank in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions or leaves me any information whatsoever. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Arevir Wehttam

1 hour ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Shrug. You can deploy everyone in overworld battles, so picking a dedicated party to focus on isn't as important as in most games.

- Good/Best weaponry? Any good places to look out for to farm said good loot?

Best weapon in the game is the killer bow due to its broken combat art, and excellent stats. One thing you can do in this game is forge weapons into other weapons, so note that you can forge a Silver Bow that has been forged up at least one level into a Killer Bow (also of note you can upgrade Iron bows to Steel bows, and Steel Bows into Silver Bows...).

- Best classes and class options for the villagers. Or better yet, if there all pretty good options, any classes I should avoid putting them into?

My advise is make Faye a cleric, avoid putting any of the boys into Soldier, and make sure at least one of them is a mage, otherwise you should be fine.

Having two clerics is really useful, as magic drains your cleric's HP (except Nosferatu, which has terrible accuracy...), and Faye's cleric magic list synergizes well with Silque's. Soldier is not a great class line in this game, and should probably be avoided if you can. As for the mage, there are some early fights that are difficult to deal with if you can't attack res.

And if I’m not mistaken, it seems like promoting as soon as possible seems to be the more viable option (as growths seem really bad in this game)?

Its more extreme then that, the promotion bonuses characters get in this game is to have any stat that is below the promoted class's bases raised to the class base.

Is re-classing a thing in this game.. like if I make someone a mage, can I make them a archer at a later time?

There is a limited use pitchfork items that can turn any character into a villager, which they can then use to promote into a different class. I think you get three from the free DLC, and I think you can get more from paid DLC as well.

- Skills/Combat Arts/Passives.. etc.. I’m a little confused on this part. So from my understanding, weapons have Combat Arts (CA) attached to them, and they are unlocked after using said weapon enough times.. this part I think I get get. Now as for Passives, do these function similar to CA, except they don’t need to be unlocked and are always active once the weapon is equipped? Anything else I need to know here?

One big thing to note is that when you unlock a combat art you can only use it while wielding the weapon that has it, and each character has to learn them on their own. For example if Python learned the Hunter's Volley combat art on the Killer Bow, he can only use it with the Killer Bow equipped, and if he passes the Killer Bow off to another character, that character has to use it enough to unlock the combat art on their own.

- Learned Spells.. and White/Black Magic. So there’s no tomes and staffs in this game, and anything magic related is learned.. is that correct? And the spells that you learn are character dependent not class dependent..?

Magic is learned at certain levels, and are both character, and class dependent. You can find that list here:https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/characters/learned-spells/

Also of note is that magic cost health with every cast (if a mage doesn't have enough health they simply wont attack), it just uses the base accuracy of the spell (plus support bonuses), so it ignores avoid from enemies and terrain, and when counter attacking characters default to their weakest attacking spell (usually Fire for player characters, enemies frequently only have one spell...).

2 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Is there any class-based skills in this game?

Many of the promoted classes have a skill built into the class, I have list those (barring those from the DLC top tier classes) in the spoiler box below.

Spoiler

Saint class gets the Soothing Light skill, which restores 5 HP to adjacent allies at the start of each turn, and the Absolve skill, which lets them ignore damage from terrain.

Falcon Knights get the Banish skill, which makes them deal +10 damage on every attack against monsters

Sages get the Discipline skill that gives their magic +10 hit

Archers get +1 Bow Range

Snipers and Bow Knights get +2 Bow Range

Dread Fighters get +5 Res, and the Apotrope skill, that halves all magic damage they take

Barons get the Heavy Armor skill that halves damage from bows

- The fatigue system. Is this something you really have to micro-manage, or is it really not that bad? I tried looking into it, and have read (probably misinterpreted) different reports as to how it works. Does it not affect the main game, and only affects units when doing dungeons, or is that incorrect? Any other tips on how to manage fatigue and work around it would be awesome.

It only effects dungeons, and as long as you aren't selling all of your food and liquor it is easily managed. Just remember to feed people that get fatigued, or if you are close enough to a Mila statue, you can sacrifice some liquor to refill everyone's fatigue.

The good units are Alm and Celica, as well as Saber, the villagers, and Mae, off the top of my head. There's no unit that's so bad as to warrant avoiding (and in this game, outside of dungeons and the final battle, you get to use everyone anyway).

- Best classes and class options for the villagers. Or better yet, if there all pretty good options, any classes I should avoid putting them into? And if I’m not mistaken, it seems like promoting as soon as possible seems to be the more viable option (as growths seem really bad in this game)? Is re-classing a thing in this game.. like if I make someone a mage, can I make them a archer at a later time?

Short of using a DLC item, you can't reclass. And yes, promoting early is generally the best option, as if your stats are lower than the class's bases, they get raised to class bases. There's also the fact that you'd need to grind a lot to even cap your level anyway.

- Learned Spells.. and White/Black Magic. So there’s no tomes and staffs in this game, and anything magic related is learned.. is that correct? And the spells that you learn are character dependent not class dependent..? Is there any class-based skills in this game?

Yes, spell lists are character and class dependent. Also of note, mages promote into different classes depending on their gender - male mages promote to Sage, while female mages promote to Priestess.

Fatigue is only a concern in dungeons. And only the final two dungeons are long enough for it be a concern, iirc (said dungeons also have springs that heal fatigue). That said, you can prevent it by eating provisions (stuff like oranges, bread, etc.), and you can make offerings to Mila statues to deal with it too.

- Anything else that could prove useful for a first time playthrough that isn’t so easily picked up/noticeable, or just any general tips/hints would be great.

Avoid letting mobile enemies on the map get the drop on you. If they do, the ensuing combat will start on Enemy Phase, which can be really bad if a fragile unit ends up in enemy range. Also, once you get the Royal Sword, you'll want to have Alm use it until he learns Subdue (which is pretty much like False Swipe in Pokemon, if you're familiar with that; if not, then it'll leave the target with 1 HP if it would've killed) - it'll make getting one character on his side easier (said character is a brainwashed mage who you must NOT kill. Instead, you have to kill the boss of said map, which will cause the character in question to regain her senses and leave. Incidentally, mages in this game use HP to cast spells). Also, early in act 4, you'll come across a fork in the road. To get a character later, you'll have to go right and rescue someone else who is being held hostage. I would also agree with making at least one of the villagers in Alm's group a mage, as some early fights can really suck if you can't hit resistance.

3 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

As stated earlier, you can only use combat arts when you have the equipment they're associated with equipped, and if someone else uses that weapon they have to use it enough to learn the combat art themselves.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

My advise is make Faye a cleric, avoid putting any of the boys into Soldier, and make sure at least one of them is a mage, otherwise you should be fine.

I will take your advice! It also seems as if Faye learns a spell called “Anew” which seems similar to sing/dance from other FE’s? If so, that makes the cleric option even more worthwhile, although it seems as if she learns it really late into the game. 

As for the mage, there are some early fights that are difficult to deal with if you can't attack res.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would also agree with making at least one of the villagers in Alm's group a mage, as some early fights can really suck if you can't hit resistance.

I will do as you guys recommend. Any certain villager(s) you guys recommend for Mage? From looking at the learned spells page on SF, Kliff or Tobin seem like good choices.. as Excalibur sounds really good? 

It only effects dungeons, and as long as you aren't selling all of your food and liquor it is easily managed. Just remember to feed people that get fatigued, or if you are close enough to a Mila statue, you can sacrifice some liquor to refill everyone's fatigue.

Fatigue is only a concern in dungeons. And only the final two dungeons are long enough for it be a concern, iirc (said dungeons also have springs that heal fatigue). That said, you can prevent it by eating provisions (stuff like oranges, bread, etc.), and you can make offerings to Mila statues to deal with it too.

Good to hear that the Fatigue system isn’t too extreme as it was one of the few things that was kind of off-putting for me. 

There is a limited use pitchfork items that can turn any character into a villager, which they can then use to promote into a different class. I think you get three from the free DLC, and I think you can get more from paid DLC as well.

So with having the option to re-class, is there any reason/benefit in doing so? With the information you provided, class-based skills don’t seem as apparent or strong as they were in Fates which was the main reason to reclass (for me). Or is it just there incase you want to add more variety to your team?

For the skills you learn/gain from your class, are these retained when using the pitchfork/reclass item, or are these skills only active whilst in said class?

___

So with my Villagers on I’m guessing I’ll go for variety? I’m thinking of doing:

Faye > Cleric - as recommended

Gray > Mercenary - seems like the best option to fix/bump up his lower base speed and low speed growth. 

Tobin > Mage/Archer - I’m leaning more towards Tobin Mage as he learns that Excalibur spell rather early

Kliff > Mage/Archer/Mercenary - I’m leaning towards Archer as there isn’t many in Alm’s route according to SF

I don’t think I need cavalier’s as there seems to be quite a few you get in the route. And looking at the base stats Mercenary seems like the strongest class line? Would you guys recommend anything different?

____

I think that’s it for now... I REALLY appreciate you guys taking the time to comment, you both have been incredibly helpful here and in the other sub-forums and I’m glad to see you both in this thread. I appreciate all the other information and tips and will use this as reference. I’ll more than likely have more questions as I go, as I’m getting ready to sink some time into the game now (I only just finished recruiting the Villagers), so I’ll comment back here if you guys don’t mind/have the time to follow up.

So yeah, thanks again, you’ve been really helpful as always!

Edited by Arevir Wehttam

6 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I would strongly suggest using this little list to keep track of quests and the like – some quests will require you to send items between your army, some quests will have you collect seemingly random things: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/sub-quests/

Thoroughly explore every inch of a dungeon. Also, it may be of interest for you that there is a secret area later down the line.

Another useful thing to know is that SF Main Page offers maps for the dungeons – I can think of two that is useful for (Lost Treescape, Duma Temple).

Also, the Mercenary class line will promote all the way to Dread Fighter, who will then be able to promote back into Villagers – effectively giving you a chance to reclass into something else should you wish to do so.

Oh yeah, this one is a bit specific, but in Act 1 the boss consists of two people, Slayde and Desaix, the latter holds a Draco Shield – it´s a hassle to get as it gives Desaix a massive boost to survivability (+13Def/Res and passive Recovery on top of being a Baron) and requires you to have Slayde live through the encounter but it´s a nice thing to have. I found this thread here:

Skills are class inherent as far as I know - there is no such thing as mastering them TH style.

2 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

I would strongly suggest using this little list to keep track of quests and the like – some quests will require you to send items between your army, some quests will have you collect seemingly random things: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/sub-quests/

Another useful thing to know is that SF Main Page offers maps for the dungeons – I can think of two that is useful for (Lost Treescape, Duma Temple).

This is great! Thanks for the link and the tip. I’ve been referencing SF as I’ve been going but must’ve looked over both of these, so this helps a ton!

Oh yeah, this one is a bit specific, but in Act 1 the boss consists of two people, Slayde and Desaix, the latter holds a Draco Shield – it´s a hassle to get as it gives Desaix a massive boost to survivability (+13Def/Res and passive Recovery on top of being a Baron) and requires you to have Slayde live through the encounter but it´s a nice thing to have. I found this thread here:

This is the type of stuff I’m looking for, so specific stuff is fine by me! That item sounds insane, so I definitely want to get my hands on it, I’ll reference the thread when I get up to it. Thanks for the heads up!

__

Just finished the first dungeon and class changed all my Villagers. And after some skimming through the SF page after reading your comment, I saw that “rare monsters” can spawn in dungeons by leaving and re-entering, and it says they have a chance to drop good weapons. Just wondering are these monsters worth actively seeking out for the loot they drop? Because the drop rates on some of these weapons are atrocious, and if there not really worthwhile for the main game I don’t know if I should bother seeking them out. 

With that said, any weapons you recommend I should seek out and/or forge/evolve? I’ve already been recommended the Killer Bow, so anything else to keep my sights on would be good to know! 🙂 

This game seems really different from other FE titles, but I’m actually really enjoying it so far, and really interested to see how the gameplay and story progresses. 

___

But anyways... Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it you taking the time to comment. The dungeon maps and subquest page are a huge help! 

Edited by Arevir Wehttam

28 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

With that said, any weapons you recommend I should seek out and/or forge/evolve? I’ve already been recommended the Killer Bow, so anything else to keep my sights on would be good to know! 🙂 

In act 3, you get a Shadow Sword. On its own its kinda bad, but it can be forged into a Brave Sword (which isn't actually a brave sword, its just a killing edge, but its really good to have). I personally like giving it to the peddler, then either keeping it as a Brave Sword or forging it into a Rapier (the latter is kinda costly, but I really love having the Rapier around to ruin the day of the many, many cavalier and armour units in the game).

28 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Just finished the first dungeon and class changed all my Villagers. And after some skimming through the SF page after reading your comment, I saw that “rare monsters” can spawn in dungeons by leaving and re-entering, and it says they have a chance to drop good weapons. Just wondering are these monsters worth actively seeking out for the loot they drop? Because the drop rates on some of these weapons are atrocious, and if there not really worthwhile for the main game I don’t know if I should bother seeking them out. 

Nice! What did you end up doing for Tobin and Kliff?

And its probably not worth trying to seek out the rare weapons. They're good, but not worth that much time grinding unless you want the achievement for getting them. They take way too long.

9 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Now as for Passives, do these function similar to CA, except they don’t need to be unlocked and are always active once the weapon is equipped? Anything else I need to know here?

Most of the passives come from Rings, which are equipped in inventory slots. They start already unlocked from the moment you first equip them. As already mentioned, there are passive skills that come from classes, which are always equipped as long as the character stays in the class. 

Edited by Anathaco

38 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

The Brave Sword (despite the name, it's more akin to a Killing Edge; Genealogy of the Holy War was the first game where brave weapons with the effect of double attacks showed up). You can get one on Celica's path, and Shadow Swords (you also get one of these on Celica's path) can be forged into these. The Rapier, which you must forge using a Brave Sword and a gold mark, is also good. Blessed weapons are nice for if you see Terrors (monsters). Celica's personal weapon (Beloved Zofia) must be forged as well.

Speaking of which, at one point on Celica's path, you'll have to make a choice to defeat one of two characters to proceed. The one you don't defeat pulls back and can be recruited later.

38 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Not really; some of them are rather dangerous to run into early on.

Another thing to note is that one dungeon gives you a choice between a blessed shield or a silver shield; the former is more useful and cannot be obtained by any other means. And while Revenants are generally weak and easy to defeat, some of them are in fact rather nasty and can poison or paralyze you if they connect (poison in this game chops off a lot of health, unlike was the case in prior games), so don't rush into attacking them directly...

Edited by Shadow Mir

With that said, any weapons you recommend I should seek out and/or forge/evolve?

I don´t really know enough about SoV to say what weapons are good or not, but I think there are not a lot of good weapons? I hear the Silver Sword is good and has (a) nice Combat Arts? As for Lance, eh? You get a Gradivus in the final Act, but forging it is awfully expensive, Ridersbanes are good because you´ll face a lot of Cavalry at the very least on Alms side.

Oh yeah careful with the Blacksmiths – they´ll rip you off exchanging 500 silver for 1 gold but only 100 silver for 1 gold in return.

Another thing, as of Act 3 enemies will spawn on the map, that unlike the dead lads on Celicas start will move across the map. Should these enemies run into you on the map they´ll get the first turn.

Alm will be able to use bows once he promotes *cough Killer Bow cough*.

Oh and Alms and Celicas promotions are storybound.

And after some skimming through the SF page after reading your comment, I saw that “rare monsters” can spawn in dungeons by leaving and re-entering, and it says they have a chance to drop good weapons.

Not really, I think these monsters are quite a bit stronger than anything else in the dungeons and the drop rates in this game are rather low I think? If you want to grind useful items the 2nd item DLC is the best place but even that is tedious as the loot-tables are cramped with next-to-worthless stuff.

Alm and Celica can eat food directly from the Convoy without replacing their inventory item in a single turn. (So they can use any healing item from your convoy while still keeping whatever is in their inventory equipped.)

The Rise of the Deliverance DLC (If you're getting it.) adds supports for the Deliverance members (Python, Clair, Mathilda, Lukas and Clive) that aren't in the base-game so you get extra support bonuses. (and some really good dialogue honestly.)

I'd say you can easily manage without the grind DLC since there's free infinite grinding anyway, you can also just restore fatigue by leaving and entering the dungeon again. (To my knowledge there's no bonus for constantly grinding in a dungeon without leaving it.)

5 hours ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

dont discard or sold rusted weapon and Celica personal weapon from the start.  Rusted weapon can be transformed into proper weapon, but what weapon you get is fixed, so save beofre evolving, if its trash just load and dont bother with that one. Also Celica dagger at the start is used to forge personal best weapon for her later iirc. Other than that i would say forge and upgrade whatever you want into better weapon if you have the money

Theres a weapon forging tree (what weapon evolve into what), SF has it in forging section. in general dont sell or discard any weapon before you check it if you want to obtain strongest weapon outside mandatory one

Edited by joevar

12 hours ago, Anathaco said:

In act 3, you get a Shadow Sword. On its own its kinda bad, but it can be forged into a Brave Sword (which isn't actually a brave sword, its just a killing edge, but its really good to have). I personally like giving it to the peddler, then either keeping it as a Brave Sword or forging it into a Rapier (the latter is kinda costly, but I really love having the Rapier around to ruin the day of the many, many cavalier and armour units in the game).

Thanks for the tip! It seems like quite a few people mentioned the Shadow Sword/Brave Sword & Rapier so I'll keep an eye out for those and make use of them.

Now when you say Peddler, is this referring to the Traveling Merchant? From my understanding, you can use this NPC as a means to trade items from Alm's army to Celica's army? How many times can you access / use this NPC?

12 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Nice! What did you end up doing for Tobin and Kliff?

I ended up just going; Tobin > Mage / Kliff > Archer. Not sure if these were the best options or not, but after some further research it seems as if Excalibur is the best BM spell(?) and with Tobin learning it pretty early I figured that was my best bet. As for Kliff, I almost went with Mercenary but ended up reading some good things about him as an Archer as I hear he has better late game potential in this class but suffers a bit in the early game, I guess we'll see how it goes. Plus, he looks pretty damn cool as an Archer I must say 🙂 

With that said.. Archers seem absolutely insane in this game, lol.. they can get upto 1-5 range, and 8 move when on bow knight? Jesus.. haha.

9 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Alm and Celica can eat food directly from the Convoy without replacing their inventory item in a single turn. (So they can use any healing item from your convoy while still keeping whatever is in their inventory equipped.)

Didn't even think of doing this! This is great to know. thanks!

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Not really; some of them are rather dangerous to run into early on.

Another thing to note is that one dungeon gives you a choice between a blessed shield or a silver shield; the former is more useful and cannot be obtained by any other means. And while Revenants are generally weak and easy to defeat, some of them are in fact rather nasty and can poison or paralyze you if they connect (poison in this game chops off a lot of health, unlike was the case in prior games), so don't rush into attacking them directly...

I found this out the hard way towards the end of my session yesterday.. haha. Came across some insanely strong monster type enemies that were able to one shot all my units, didn't even bother trying to take them on.

Thanks for the tip on the item choices, I'll def use this as reference once I come up to that point. Also good tip on the poison/paralyze, as other FE's I've played so far poison status was an afterthought as it doesn't really do much.

10 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Alm will be able to use bows once he promotes *cough Killer Bow cough*.

Was not aware of this, that's awesome!

7 hours ago, joevar said:

dont discard or sold rusted weapon and Celica personal weapon from the start.  Rusted weapon can be transformed into proper weapon, but what weapon you get is fixed, so save beofre evolving, if its trash just load and dont bother with that one. Also Celica dagger at the start is used to forge personal best weapon for her later iirc. Other than that i would say forge and upgrade whatever you want into better weapon if you have the money

Theres a weapon forging tree (what weapon evolve into what), SF has it in forging section. in general dont sell or discard any weapon before you check it if you want to obtain strongest weapon outside mandatory one

This is great information in regards to rusted weapons/forging, I would usually immediately think that "rusted" items would be trash, so this definitely helps a lot! I'll definitely use the forging info page on SF as reference. Thank you!

__

Thank you all for replying/commenting, I really appreciate it all the information/advice and this is going to be really good to keep referencing back as I go. I'll be starting another play session shortly, so I may have some more questions as I go if you guys have the time to follow up/respond that would be awesome. I have to say I'm actually really enjoying this game much more than I thought I would, especially after reading some harsher reviews that criticize the game for being very different from other FE titles. I'm really glad I gave it a try!

__

I got one question right now for anyone that has the time to answer. When playing yesterday, I acquired some awards/medals (forgot what they were called), what exactly are these.. are these just for achievements and so on, and have no effect on actual gameplay? Also, I got something called "renown" (I think that's what it was called) for finishing a quest (gave wine to that old man in Ram Village), what effect does this have on gameplay? Is it some form of currency.. or?

2 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

I got one question right now for anyone that has the time to answer. When playing yesterday, I acquired some awards/medals (forgot what they were called), what exactly are these.. are these just for achievements and so on, and have no effect on actual gameplay? Also, I got something called "renown" (I think that's what it was called) for finishing a quest (gave wine to that old man in Ram Village), what effect does this have on gameplay? Is it some form of currency.. or?

Yeah the awards are just achievements that don’t do anything for gameplay.

I honestly can’t remember if renown does anything. I don’t think it does.

4 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Now when you say Peddler, is this referring to the Traveling Merchant? From my understanding, you can use this NPC as a means to trade items from Alm's army to Celica's army? How many times can you access / use this NPC

Yeah, the travelling merchants. In Act 3 each side gets access to one peddler, and in Act 4 they both get 3 more. All of these vanish after a single use, so Alm can send 4 items to Celica and Celica can send 4 items to Alm.

And yeah those are good classes for Tobin and Kliff. Mage is my personal favourite for Tobin. I personally refuse to use Kliff as anything but a soldier haha. The bases of its promoted forms are great to raise his attack stat and defence. Plus a Baron doubling dread fighters will always be funny to me. But archer is definitely a great class for him.

14 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Thank you all for replying/commenting, I really appreciate it all the information/advice and this is going to be really good to keep referencing back as I go. I'll be starting another play session shortly, so I may have some more questions as I go if you guys have the time to follow up/respond that would be awesome. I have to say I'm actually really enjoying this game much more than I thought I would, especially after reading some harsher reviews that criticize the game for being very different from other FE titles. I'm really glad I gave it a try!

__

Renown is basically your "Score", it's only used for that 3DS passby thing where you'd get other player's scores, it's pointless in itself, however all those quests usually have worthwhile rewards (especially the later ones) so do 'em anyway, some of them reward you with really good stuff.

Also yeah Archers are actually able to hold their own in Echoes while Mages being able to ignore terrain bonuses gives them their own niche, (and it makes sense, being in a forest probably doesn't help when a dude starts flinging fire balls at you.) I really hope the next FE game goes back to it. (I was disappointed that TH doesn't really do it.)

16 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Renown is basically your "Score", it's only used for that 3DS passby thing where you'd get other player's scores, it's pointless in itself, however all those quests usually have worthwhile rewards (especially the later ones) so do 'em anyway, some of them reward you with really good stuff.

Also yeah Archers are actually able to hold their own in Echoes while Mages being able to ignore terrain bonuses gives them their own niche, (and it makes sense, being in a forest probably doesn't help when a dude starts flinging fire balls at you.) I really hope the next FE game goes back to it. (I was disappointed that TH doesn't really do it.)

Oh that’s what renown does lol. I’ve never actually  used the spotpass feature, so this is good to know.
I’m pretty sure magic is unaffected by terrain in 3H, but it’s never explicitly mentioned in a tutorial like it is in Echoes.

Edited by Anathaco

On 10/14/2020 at 2:18 AM, Imuabicus said:

I took your advice, and went for the Dracoshield! Read a few replies in that thread you linked, and ended up cooking up my own strategy, it took me quite (a lot, lol) a few turns to get everything set up. But yeah, I really appreciate the heads up. because if you didn't mention anything I probably just would've killed Slayde, ended the chapter, and just moved on. So thanks again! 🙂 I'm thinking of just slapping this thing on one of my dedicated healers due to the heavy weight, and make a super tank healer? Not sure, looking forward to putting this thing to use though, it seems awesome!

Spoiler

DESAIX_DEATH.thumb.png.c261f0b0bce6a3fed43a5f6ba7503a49.png

23 hours ago, Anathaco said:

And yeah those are good classes for Tobin and Kliff. Mage is my personal favourite for Tobin.

Yeah they've both been kicking ass in their respective classes so far. I am absolutely inlove with Archers in this game though.. having the ability to attack 5 range away with having 1 range on top of it is absolutely insane, I can't get over it haha.

__

So yeah.. just an update I am done with the first act (atleast I think I am), I'm at the Zofia Castle right after defeating Desaix, and haven't explored it to the end yet due to some questions/concerns, if anyone has the time to answer / fill me in.

So my issue is, I keep coming across this quest called "The Merchant of Death" when looking things up. Apparently it entails handing in 5 Steel Lances at once to a certain vendor, and have seen people recommend leaving the Steel Lance (and Iron Shield) from Zofia Castle untouched so that you can pick them up when on Celica's route. On top of that, I've seen people also recommend using up the Traveling Merchants to send over additional Steel Lance's to Celica's route from Alm's. So my question is, how important is getting this sub-quest done? From looking up the rewards you don't seem to get anything special out of the deal (unless I'm missing something or read over something), yet I see a lot of people making a very big deal out of this sub-quest and going out of their way to make sure they are fully prepped to get it done.

So is this something that's really worth using up my limited Travel Merchants on? Should I leave the Steel Lance in Zofia Castle for Celica's army, along with the Iron Shield? Or is this quest really not that big of a deal, and is more for going for a "100% full completion run"? Anything else I should know?

___

So yeah.. that's it. I believe once I exit the Zofia Castle Act 2 will start? So if anyone has any pointers/tips/advice for Act 2, that  would be greatly appreciated! Just want to say thanks again to all of you for all the information and tips so far, you guys have been great! I am REALLY enjoying this game, wayyyy more than I thought I would, and can't wait to get back on and continue my run!

So yeah.. that's it. I believe once I exit the Zofia Castle Act 2 will start? So if anyone has any pointers/tips/advice for Act 2, that  would be greatly appreciated! Just want to say thanks again to all of you for all the information and tips so far, you guys have been great! I am REALLY enjoying this game, wayyyy more than I thought I would, and can't wait to get back on and continue my run!

Make sure Celica learns Seraphim before going to the Seabound Shrine - it's guarded by Necrodragons.

By the way, have you been using the sacred springs? 

So my issue is, I keep coming across this quest called "The Merchant of Death" when looking things up. Apparently it entails handing in 5 Steel Lances at once to a certain vendor, and have seen people recommend leaving the Steel Lance (and Iron Shield) from Zofia Castle untouched so that you can pick them up when on Celica's route. On top of that, I've seen people also recommend using up the Traveling Merchants to send over additional Steel Lance's to Celica's route from Alm's. So my question is, how important is getting this sub-quest done? From looking up the rewards you don't seem to get anything special out of the deal (unless I'm missing something or read over something), yet I see a lot of people making a very big deal out of this sub-quest and going out of their way to make sure they are fully prepped to get it done.

So is this something that's really worth using up my limited Travel Merchants on? Should I leave the Steel Lance in Zofia Castle for Celica's army, along with the Iron Shield? Or is this quest really not that big of a deal, and is more for going for a "100% full completion run"? Anything else I should know?

Probably something done for completion's sake. By the way, the Steel Lances sold end up being used by Slayde and some Rigelian goons late in the game.

27 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

By the way, have you been using the sacred springs? 

Yes I have. I've come across 2 so far.. just used em on whoever was lacking a bit. Should I be saving them for late game or something?

30 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Probably something done for completion's sake. By the way, the Steel Lances sold end up being used by Slayde and some Rigelian goons late in the game.

Alright cool, because it seemed a little redundant to plan so far ahead and use up a lot of resources just to get that done. Good to know it's not that big of a deal.

Yes I have. I've come across 2 so far.. just used em on whoever was lacking a bit. Should I be saving them for late game or something?

Nope. It's that sometimes they're linked, as in you could get 3 speed from one, or 3 HP from one, or a mix of speed and HP, and after you use them enough, they deactivate. The game doesn't tell you this, as far as I'm aware.

Nope. It's that sometimes they're linked, as in you could get 3 speed from one, or 3 HP from one, or a mix of speed and HP, and after you use them enough, they deactivate. The game doesn't tell you this, as far as I'm aware.

Yeah I noticed this early on and don't remember the game mentioning it anywhere. The first one I came across gave me speed / hp, and I went to use it and used all the HP up, tried using the speed afterwards and found out they had a shared use so I had to reload my save file. Are you telling me that some of them DON'T have shared uses? Because I'm on Act 2 now, and was under the assumption they all had shared use with 3 charges each.. and after I'd use them a combined 3 times I'd just head out. 

__

Also.. is there like a quest log anywhere? I've come across a few NPC's asking me for things I don't have, and I do not fully remember who's where and who needs what. If there is one I do not see it.. I would imagine there is though?

8 minutes ago, Arevir Wehttam said:

Yeah I noticed this early on and don't remember the game mentioning it anywhere. The first one I came across gave me speed / hp, and I went to use it and used all the HP up, tried using the speed afterwards and found out they had a shared use so I had to reload my save file. Are you telling me that some of them DON'T have shared uses? Because I'm on Act 2 now, and was under the assumption they all had shared use with 3 charges each.. and after I'd use them a combined 3 times I'd just head out. 

__

Also.. is there like a quest log anywhere? I've come across a few NPC's asking me for things I don't have, and I do not fully remember who's where and who needs what. If there is one I do not see it.. I would imagine there is though?

Some fountains just exist on their own without a partner, and as such only have two uses. There's a guide to all the fountains here on the main site if you ever want to confirm: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/sacred-springs/

The main site also has a full questlog: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/sub-quests/

The only way to know whether or not someone wants something from you, or if a quest is still open, is hovering over a hub sign in the worldmap and beneath the description of said hub should be a head wit a small speach bubble if someone wants something - these only disappear if the quest is closed.

Other than that, yeah, SF sub-quest page.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 5:10 AM, Arevir Wehttam said:

When you get the Royal Sword, I'd have Alm go ham with it, and forge it when possible. He gets a brave combat art with it.

Generally, when "evolving" a weapon, I'd save the game first. You can't devolve it, and the result, in some cases, is worse than a plain forge.