First time on HHM, how many weapons for the Ch18-20 stretch?

cloudropis

I'm burning a lot more weapon uses than expected, now I'm kinda anxious about underrating how much I should fill my convoy (in 17x). I tend to play conservatively, plus early funds in HHM are tight, and I don't wanna get caught in Chapter 20 or something with my pants down. However, I don't wanna fill it to the brim with iron weapons either since I'll have the Silver card by the Ch21 shops. 

Is there a rule of thumb or guestimate process to determine how many weapons I'll burn through? Something like "20 weapon uses per character every chapter" or whatever? 

If you intend to use Dart, definitely buy a few iron axes for him. You won't see 'em again until ch. 20, which is up to five maps, I think. In addition, stock up on 1-2 range weapons and just make sure you've got a healthy stock of everything. Unless you botch preparations as much as I did,  (I think I had about 19 total uses of all my weapons left combined or something like that) it shouldn't go too poorly.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:27 AM, cloudropis said:

I'm burning a lot more weapon uses than expected, now I'm kinda anxious about underrating how much I should fill my convoy (in 17x). I tend to play conservatively, plus early funds in HHM are tight, and I don't wanna get caught in Chapter 20 or something with my pants down. However, I don't wanna fill it to the brim with iron weapons either since I'll have the Silver card by the Ch21 shops. 

Is there a rule of thumb or guestimate process to determine how many weapons I'll burn through? Something like "20 weapon uses per character every chapter" or whatever? 

you could check how many uses are left on a weapon after a chapter is over, but that would give you a pretty generic idea, and probably it wouldn't be much reliable in the long run considering difficulty scaling and RNG.

otherwise, i usually do like this:

- try to have a slim or iron weapon for the most used units, along with an higher grade weapon of the same type to deal with tough enemies and/or bosses, plus a ranged weapon when/if possible;

- always swap weapons from unused/benched units to save money for your main units;

- have at least 1~2 slim/iron weapons plus ranged ones of each type stored in the convoy. those will be the backup whenever something breaks. same goes for healing staffs.

however, there should be plenty of tomes dropped through the game, so i'm not sure if you really need a backup tome of each type too.

depending on how you play, you may not even need backup tomes at all, or even bows for that matter.

also, since sometimes people tend to overlook this, there's enemies carrying extra items such as gemstones or promotion crests that may pop up once in a while in order to give you some extra money.

as many of those items do not drop after an enemy is defeated, checking the map before starting a chapter and eventually bringing a thief along always helps.

if your plan is to save enough money to be able to recruit Farina later on, then by all means you shouldn't have more than one basic backup weapon of each type in your convoy, and buy little by little whenever your stock runs out.

Edited by 𝙵ᴇɴʀᴇɪʀ

• 2 weeks later...

Spend spend spend. I know you're looking to use that silver card to get some value, but believe me when I say you'll get plenty of treasure and gold between now and the next shop. Besides, how much gold do you actually have? 5 or 6 thousand? The point of the silver card is that once you have it, you barely have money problems. So don't worry about your financial situation post-silver card.

For some more concrete advice, make sure you have enough slim lances and javelins for Florina and Fiora both (if you plan to deploy them, you might not want to ^_^ ) and some hand axe for hector. Besides those, get lots of heal and mend staves since those are the most disastrous to run out of. I think steel weapons are available, but honestly most enemies on the dread isle tend to tank with dodge instead of defense, so upgrading to steel isn't necessary. The few enemies who do have high defenses are usually armors or cavs so you just smacc them with the wolf beil.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:27 PM, cloudropis said:

No. Unless you're playing a runthrough you've played and planned extensively, there's really no way to predict exactly how much weapon you'll need. One "rule of thumb" that does always work is that gold can't hurt enemies, but weapons can. Even if you have "bad" weapons because you shopped poorly, it's better than having no weapons because you were saving up for later. Besides let's be honest, you're probably just buying iron weapons and hand axes when you get to the next shop anyway.

Edited by OriginalRaisins
Had something else to say

• 8 months later...

An easy way to go is buy only javelins/hand axes for the entire game and forsake all your sword users for the superiority of 1-2 range.

More realistically, just do anything and save state before hand (or save in 2 slots on cartridge). If you're having issues due to lack of weapons later, just reset. It's very time consuming, but experience is a better teacher than forums.

Edited by eriyg