Nonbinary gender options

Oricorio

For your gender, you are only allowed to select "Male", "Female", and "Undisclosed", which is heavily limiting to people like me who have identities that fall outside of those categories. There should at least be a "Nonbinary" option to pick as your gender, as well perhaps some of the more specific identities (such as "Agender", "Genderfluid", etc.)

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I definitely second this. My preferred option would be for "Other" which would lead to a field where people could enter whatever label they feel most comfortable with, though I'm not sure how easy that is from a design standpoint.

Watch how @Integrity will complain on the amount of work it'll take to expend a few menus.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Undisclosed works though? When I see it I assume the person is non binary.

You shouldn't. Undisclosed means they're just not saying. Nonbinary is a disclosure.

Edited by Florete

1 minute ago, Florete said:

You shouldn't. Undisclosed means they're just not saying. Nonbinary is a disclosure.

Huh, I guess I don't understand why someone would want to not say. But okay.

I mean I guess either that or they haven't done their profile yet.

Edited by Dragoncat

7 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Watch how @Integrity will complain on the amount of work it'll take to expend a few menus.

i've literally never done this, what the fuck?

EDIT: anyway, this random attack aside, i might as well say something productive in the thread

i'm the straightest, cisest, whitest gay dude in the world, so most of the major gender identity dialogue goes just a little bit over my head. one thing i've been thinking loosely about for a while is stripping the gender field out on the admin side and replacing it with a pronouns field

like, the way i see it from my limited perspective, the point of the gender field is to inform people how to refer to you in the third person; when the defaults were created back in 200x, the general dialogue was that he/him - she/her covered a sufficient enough amount of people to just say it was good enough. it wasn't really then, and it still isn't particularly. in that case, why not just axe the gender field and put in a pronouns field instead?

i can't mix fixed options you pick from a list with type-your-own options as far as i'm aware, so it would still have to have some limitation, but i think it could be more inclusive to more people with fewer options on the list

happy to entertain thoughts

Edited by Integrity

i'm gonna break the rules and doublepost because if you edit a ping in it doesn't actually ping the user and i do want to specifically hear op's thoughts on my proposal @leetic

Edited by Integrity

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

i'm gonna break the rules and doublepost because if you edit a ping in it doesn't actually ping the user and i do want to specifically hear op's thoughts on my proposal @leetic

That solution sounds fine to me

19 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Some people know perfectly well what their IRL gender is, but just don't want to be identified as female/male/etc online by strangers.  Or, depending on how involved it is, if you're trans, it could be considered outing yourself.

As someone with a not fully on the "gender-binary" gender, I second this. I don't know how great a fill in gender would be since others that aren't could take advantage of it, I think fill-in pronoun and more gender options would cover it. like even with he/him, she/her, they/them, I think fill in would better especially with neopronouns since not everyone is totally informed on them.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, Dragoncat said:

some people just don't feel like sharing it? (this isn't me being sarcastic btw, some people just don't feel like it's needed to be known.)

• 2 weeks later...

sorry but this whole multiple gender thing is bullshit there is and always will be male and female  so people need to stop being stupid even when going for a sex change you will still be male or female  it's just twitter morons wanting more attention.

• 4 weeks later...

usually i'd just quietly ghost that and laugh but since it was 3 weeks ago and i forgot that this thread existed after i opened the other i'll be explicit and post instead:

shut the fuck up lmao

EDIT: this is sf's official stance btw

Edited by Integrity

On 11/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Integrity said:

usually i'd just quietly ghost that and laugh but since it was 3 weeks ago and i forgot that this thread existed after i opened the other i'll be explicit and post instead:

shut the fuck up lmao

EDIT: this is sf's official stance btw

Goddamn, let me salute thee, good sir, for making this change! Or at least writing it on a piece of paper, setting it atop Lehran's medallion in the middle of Serenes Forest, and watching to see what color the flame changes. I assume that's how anything happens around here, at least. Anyway, just updated my own profile accordingly!

I still stand by my statement I have no issue with gay's or lesbians I actually have gay and lesbian friends.but i disagree with this gender spectrum nonsense  plus even science has debunked this  so why carry it on? Warn me all you like  but im not changing my statment.

This video explains it in more detail.

1 hour ago, Hirokaski said:

I still stand by my statement I have no issue with gay's or lesbians I actually have gay and lesbian friends.but i disagree with this gender spectrum nonsense  plus even science has debunked this  so why carry it on? Warn me all you like  but im not changing my statment.

Small piece of advice, when you are claiming science has debunked something, instead of listening to a video by a pop scientist, try reading some peer reviewed papers instead. Those give you a far better idea of what has, and has not been debunked by science, and the scientific peers that review them reduce the chance that they are blatantly lying to you for their own gains. Even in that video which "debunks claims of a gender spectrum", they admit that most papers on the topic include the idea of the gender spectrum, which is a clear sign that the current consensus in the scientific community is that the gender spectrum exists.

7 hours ago, Hirokaski said:

am i supposed to be impressed by a podcast hosting a person who has made it a crusade to rail against the status quo of gender science railing against the status quo of gender science? lmao

you're welcome to participate in my hugbox forum but take that shit right out of this thread and stuff it bud

17 hours ago, Hirokaski said:

It sounds like your attitude towards the gender spectrum and ours aren't going to agree.  I'll leave it up to you whether or not this is such a huge issue that you pack up and leave.  But note that I will NOT be particularly gentle if your attitude winds up hurting others.

be like that but my opinion still stands and there are ONLY two genders male and female  no neutral  your born a male your a male  transition to a femal your a female simple science really this whole thing is just because some jumped up sjw thiught lets give people more thigns to be bithcy about at this was born.

imnot homophobic  like i said i have gay frinds and they are hilarious so are my lesbian friends but this stupidity has to stop