Does anyone else think most of the new animations look really bad?

I don't know what it is, but there's is something about the animations of the new classes in this game that just looks really bad. Rogue and the trainee classes look especially awful. Even clones like the bow knight and mage knight somehow end up looking worse. The only ones I like are the monsters (except gorgon and cyclops) and Ephraim's classes. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I would agree Mage Knight is boring, but I think all the other additions are average to stellar. The trainees' animations really communicate their sub par experience in combat. And the monsters are consistently imaginative and happen to outnumber the amount of class additions anyway.

The FE8 animations are far better than the FE6-7 ones on average. I mean... look at the Fighter and the Berserker for fuck's sake, or the Paladin crit galloping in place for all eternity. Most GBA animations are bad, and at best are a nice watch once or twice. When people say the Elibe animations are great they literally just mean the sword infantry classes. Maybe like the sage, or Hawkeye.

I'm not sure what I think of Ranger's non-critical sword animation. It feels... mechanical? I can "see" the "frames" it's going through like it's being moved by strings attached to it, although it's functional, it doesn't look organic.

14 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

When people say the Elibe animations are great they literally just mean the sword infantry classes. Maybe like the sage, or Hawkeye.

I wouldn't say just those classes. The Warrior hurricane critical, the Armadscopter, the Paladin charging in place, the Nomad Trooper leaping sword critical, all have that same gloriously over-the-top styling. The General's ordinary attacks have that peculiar chain usage too. Oh, and Apocalypse is an awesome spell animation.

I'd say the Swordmaster critical is a little overrated, it's just Astra. -But nobody who started FE on the GBA knew Astra existed at the time.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I guess the new FE8 animations are, for the most part, a little less over-the-top than the ones originating in FE6 and FE7, and thus a bit less memorable. That said, they're generally better drawn and better animated, especially compared to classes that have gone unchanged since FE6 like the Fighter. It's especially true of classes that have obvious counterparts, such as the two promoted Wyvern classes; the Knight is drawn better and animated more smoothly than the Lord.

I generally quite like the additions to FE8. Overall quite solid in my opinion. I personally really like the Rogue animations, but the new spells added have some great animations as well. The sword ranger animation is quite clunky, though, I agree. Great Knight's animations aren't anything special, but the way the GKs themselves look is quite aesthetically pleasing. The new Wyvern class looks pretty okay, Mage Knights are fine and I think the trainee animations are very good, if not slow.  I sorta wish they'd improved the Assassin animations, though. FE6 bishop animations making a rerun would also have been great, but the Bishop animation they used instead works just fine.

I think the animations for Sacred Stones-original classes are kind of a trade-off, for the most part. On the one hand, they're generally a lot smoother and higher-quality on a purely technical level. On the other hand, though, the... choreography, I suppose? How the classes are animated to move, is often a lot less exciting. So, better animation, but used to depict less eye-catching action. That's my take, anyway.

Overall I liked the FE8 additions. I agree that Mage Knight is a bit boring (but not really any better/worse than valkyrie, to me), and I also agree with the comment above that the Ranger sword animation looks too mechanical (you can see the frames too easily). But most of the other new classes just seem to have far smoother animations. I love wyvern knight, rogue, great knight, and the trainees. A lot of the monsters look great too; I'm a particular fan of the way the zombie-type enemies shamble.

9 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

I think the animations for Sacred Stones-original classes are kind of a trade-off, for the most part. On the one hand, they're generally a lot smoother and higher-quality on a purely technical level. On the other hand, though, the... choreography, I suppose? How the classes are animated to move, is often a lot less exciting. So, better animation, but used to depict less eye-catching action. That's my take, anyway.

That's a good way of putting it, I think. Better technique, but at least in some cases worse choreography. On the other hand, only Ranger and Great Knight stand out as animations that I really dislike, and it's not like the Elibe games didn't have any duds in their animations, either. Fighters (both melee and throwing animations) are, at best, a case of so-bad-it's-good.

Idk why Ranger didn't just recycle Nomadic Trooper's sword animation when they already recycle their bow animation. But then you look at the Horseman's sword animation in FE11/12 which is Ranger's but much more smooth, likely what they were originally going for.

3 hours ago, Mars of Aritia said:

perhaps the difference is just extra frames? I notice a lot of custom classes in rom hacks have a similar style and i just hate it lol.

To each their own. While I don't think more frames = automatically better, and inappropriate use of a large number of frames can be a bad thing, I don't personally think any of the FE8 animations have this problem, and if anything I feel a fair number of FE6/FE7 animations suffer from the problem of too few frames.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the monster animations were all really creative. Bael looked fantastic and threatening. The Tarvos/Maelduin stopping his axe right before hitting the dodging paladin was kind of dumb but whatever.

On 10/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, German FE Nino said:

The Ranger-Swordanimation is probably the worst in these three games(Short of the broken staffanimation from Nergal in FE7). But it is only one of the many new ones that truly kinda are just bad.

I didn't think it was bad. The sword spin was a little more creative than just spinning in place like the falcoknight and wyvernknight.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:19 PM, epilepsyduck said:

To each their own. While I don't think more frames = automatically better, and inappropriate use of a large number of frames can be a bad thing, I don't personally think any of the FE8 animations have this problem, and if anything I feel a fair number of FE6/FE7 animations suffer from the problem of too few frames.

Lots of frames makes it easy to see through special effects. It's part of the reason hollywood films stay at 24. If Avengers played at 60 fps, your eye would be able to catch details like special effects or camera tricks that are meant to make the action look more dynamic than they are. It's easier to hide editing techniques with only 24 fps

mage knight is my favourite sprite/animation in the whole GBA games (specially the male one) so i will see myself out lol

in general i love the new fe8 animations too, summoner is the only clunky one for me

• 4 months later...

I really enjoy the Mage Knight crit animation, actually. Where they generate Saturn out of nowhere. I like how Rogue backflips back into place, too. Great Knight is kinda boring, I guess, but I like how they hold their swords upright.