We made a big profile change and you need to check (this is clickbait yo)

Integrity

What up.

After a pertinent asked question and internal debate, I went forward with a big modification to the core profile options. The entire point of the Gender profile line was to inform people how you liked to be called in the third person, and honestly, it wasn't really sufficient in 2004 and definitely isn't sufficient today. I killed it. It's Pronouns, now.

You'll have to reset your settings in your profile. I tried to make it inherit from the previous value (e.g. if you were Male you'd automatically get He/Him) and I completely fucking failed at it, so you have to compensate for me. I'm open to the idea of expanding this, but I think the current options are much more inclusive than the previous Gender options while still being pretty easy to look at. I'm an engineer, after all, and beholden to good UX design.

Feel free to leave feedback in this thread, or DM me, or whatever.

As you were.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's multiple-selection, if you have more than one set you're cool with. Go for it.

Edited by Integrity

it took more time to nail down the wording and options, including contacting a third-party expert to help me figure out how to get it right, than it actually did to put the words into a list. the actual coding time was like 2 minutes.

EDIT: that does omit me dry-testing it on the admin side where nobody could see me fuck up, so i should say 'once i knew what i was doing it took like 2 minutes'

Edited by Integrity

19 minutes ago, Integrity said:

EDIT: that does omit me dry-testing it on the admin side where nobody could see me fuck up, so i should say 'once i knew what i was doing it took like 2 minutes'

That is definitely a most important step.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

That is definitely a most important step.

the original take was four austin powers references layered in a row, full disclosure

I seem to have lost my gender/pronouns in the switch.  People now will just have to always use my full name when referring to me, now.

14 hours ago, Garfield Faris Claus said:

Cool, but can there be a blank option?

13 hours ago, Teehee said:

After trying it out, can't the pronouns field be left empty anymore?

switching to a multiple-selection enabled field removed that option as far as i'm aware - i might tinker with it in the future or a patch might enable it, but for now i have to choose between letting people choose multiple sets or letting there be a blank option, and i went for the former

5 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I seem to have lost my gender/pronouns in the switch.  People now will just have to always use my full name when referring to me, now.

everybody did, Rezzy Radiant Knight, you're not special

heh.

rocked.

42 minutes ago, Integrity said:

everybody did, Rezzy Radiant Knight, you're not special

heh.

rocked.

Are you saying my mother lied to me all these years?

19 hours ago, Garfield Faris Claus said:

Cool, but can there be a blank option? I just like the look of Name --> Member Title --> Picture --> Favorite FE. 

Just don't set it, I know I won't bother to.

yeah it would be absolutely terrible if people knew what pronouns to use when referring to you

EDIT: anyway, ninjamonkey being a fuckhead as always aside, Any/All is now a selectable option after some feedback on discord for if you really don't care how you're called but don't like the big pile of selecting all the options

Edited by Integrity

33 minutes ago, Integrity said:

yeah it would be absolutely terrible if people knew what pronouns to use when referring to you

Male is the default option, so I don't need to set anything. Besides they can always call me by my username.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Male is the default option, so I don't need to set anything.

it isn't 1995 anymore, male isn't the default option, dumbass

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Besides they can always call me by my username.

'they can just not use pronouns' says man who has no fucking idea how language works

Edited by Integrity

good job you ignored learning and created a single moment where the name can be substituted for the pronoun with no regards to, for instance, the entire problem that japanese tends to not use pronouns and it sounds awkward as fuck if you swap to calling someone by their name or title every time in english

EDIT: here let's play the examples game

damn i can't believe ninjamonkey supports the detroit lions, he must live an existence of pure suffering or maybe he's just come to terms with it

damn i can't believe @NinjaMonkey supports the detroit lions, @NinjaMonkey must live an existence of pure suffering or maybe @NinjaMonkey's just come to terms with it

Edited by Integrity

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

He said he didn't like Micaiah due to her terrible speed growth and promotion times.

@NinjaMonkey said he didn't like Micaiah due to her terrible speed growth and promotion times.

you're still using a pronoun in the second though

Why are we arguing in here? Either use a feature or don't...

Just if you don't use it, expect to be asked what pronoun you want or for people to use one you don't use. That's my two cents anyway.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Why are we arguing in here? Either use a feature or don't...

grand question

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Just if you don't use it, expect to be asked what pronoun you want or for people to use one you don't use. That's my two cents anyway.

nah you heard my man male is the default !!

On 10/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, Integrity said:

What up.

After a pertinent asked question and internal debate, I went forward with a big modification to the core profile options. The entire point of the Gender profile line was to inform people how you liked to be called in the third person, and honestly, it wasn't really sufficient in 2004 and definitely isn't sufficient today. I killed it. It's Pronouns, now.

You'll have to reset your settings in your profile. I tried to make it inherit from the previous value (e.g. if you were Male you'd automatically get He/Him) and I completely fucking failed at it, so you have to compensate for me. I'm open to the idea of expanding this, but I think the current options are much more inclusive than the previous Gender options while still being pretty easy to look at. I'm an engineer, after all, and beholden to good UX design.

Feel free to leave feedback in this thread, or DM me, or whatever.

As you were.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's multiple-selection, if you have more than one set you're cool with. Go for it.

Holy hell this site has been around since 2004? But that's long before Path of Radiance's release....

https://serenesforest.net/general/about-us/

Huh it was originally Angel Sword Memories...which sounds random as all hell. Well there's a bit of trivia for the next Fire Emblem pub quiz.

• 2 weeks later...

Formal complaint to register, there is no 'Sire' option.

For real though, I actually don't like this. Is it possible to make a slider option between Gender and Pronouns? If the slider is set to Pronouns you get your Pronouns options, if it's set to Gender you get your male-female options. I feel it's discriminatory to those who believe in binary genders to force them to make preferred pronouns as I feel that it forces them to comply with rules they do not believe in. Obviously I can't do anything about it when you inevitably say '(censored) you it stays as it is' but I figure I should at least make my opinion known.

...Also I'm 100% serious about the 'Sire' option.

I think this is a great change! I personally just won't be using the feature, as I did not with the gender one too, because I thought it looked too busy underneath the profile pic. Also, not quite sure what "rules they do not believe in" means. It seems like a stretch to call labeling pronouns instead of labeling gender discriminatory. If you like to think that binary gender does exist, just pick he/him or she/her and move on! : )