Figma Show Off: Custom Zihark!

kradeelav

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in creative (wasn't my creation?), but after the recent news of the Lyn figure this past week, figured (ha ha, sorry, bad pun) you all may get a kick out of seeing something similar from a few years ago.

fire_emblem__zihark__painted_close_up_by_seankylestudios_dbs00bu-fullview.thumb.jpg.01029544ebf4e662d8689e5c7b151dab.jpg

Zihark's a favorite of mine, so when I had my first significant windfall of disposable income I thought it'd be neat to commission somebody who does these custom figmas.  Sean Kyle Studio was the sculptor. and I am pleased to say this was a very fun collaboration with him being the sculptor/artist.  Absolutely would rec him, though I think these days he tends to do more the creature / monster / Batman sort of sculpts. Wasn't cheap either.

Personally find it interesting that I don't personally see custom figurines happening as much on the western side of anime/game fandom other than DnD minis what, no love for waifus?, so it took a while to research who exactly would do the character (or my idea) justice.  I happen to have a career in illustration/design as well so it was neat sketching out a few potential poses before we both went for the one on the left.

679507377_Screenshot2020-10-18at9_09_36PM.thumb.png.c9c409505a7f80e496c4595d46788155.png

And here's another in-progress shot that he took, unpainted.

fire_emblem__zihark_by_seankylestudios_dbr8itr-fullview.thumb.jpg.36bf90b9f696f310f1966a9817d4c8d2.jpg

Happy to take some more pix (he's on my desk now, ha) or go in a AMA about the process if desired!  Supporting small-biz artisans, more Tellius love, win win.

Looks fantastic. Your design sketches are very good as well. Almsot makes me wish I had invested more into the concept art of Graphic Design back when I was in college. I can't tell 100%, but I'm guessing he's not posable. Still a fantastic sculp and figure. I may have to check this Sean guy out myself sometime.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, all!

On 10/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, Sir Gerwald of Vallora said:

Looks fantastic. Your design sketches are very good as well. Almsot makes me wish I had invested more into the concept art of Graphic Design back when I was in college. I can't tell 100%, but I'm guessing he's not posable. Still a fantastic sculp and figure. I may have to check this Sean guy out myself sometime.

Yeah, he's not pose-able; a little fragile honestly. (I broke the blade of the sword when moving for Covid reasons and just haven't gotten around to gluing it back on with the fancy crafter's glue.)

Definitely would still recommend Sean; super nice and professional.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, kradeelav said:

Thank you, all!

Yeah, he's not pose-able; a little fragile honestly. (I broke the blade of the sword when moving for Covid reasons and just haven't gotten around to gluing it back on with the fancy crafter's glue.)

Definitely would still recommend Sean; super nice and professional.

I see. When I posted that I had read figma and was thinking about the Good Smile "action figures" instead of the figurines. And I'll keep that in mind. Most of the FE characters I like are on the more unpopular side and never got any kind of merch, and I've considered getting some of them custom made before. 

• 6 months later...