Blue Lions or Golden Deer for first maddening run

Barren

I gave chapter 12 then 13 an attempt and I somehow managed to pull it out without using up all of my divine pulses nor letting my units dying permanently. I had to make some clutch plays in order to make out of there alive without wasting Divine Pulses. Some of the things I'll mention may seem out of order at times but these were the plays I had to make.

Spoiler

Chapter 12 was somehow more difficult then chapter 13 but only slightly. From my personal experience was because the pegasus knights and Ladislava the Wyvern Rider was within the danger zone I had to let some of the NPCs fall to them. Thankfully Claude was able to take out a couple of Pegasus Knights and Ladislava. The Death Knight was no issue thanks to Lysithea's Dark Spikes spells. The archers were a bit of a pain but nothing bad thankfully. The demonic beasts I had to let the NPCs handle for a bit so once they were soften up I can finish them off with a couple of battalions. I didn't bother trying to break their barriers because they were close to the pink areas where I would lose so Encloser was helpful in stopping their advance. Then I had to tackle Randolph next but thanks to Marianne carrying Axebreaker and Sword Avoid he wasn't a problem as Lysithea one shotted him.

Ignatz finished off what was left of the Pegasus Knights. Seteh and Leonie were taking turns using Monster Piercer since I figured I might as well put it to good use. Raphael didn't do much but he did get in a shot or two. Byleth took out Hubert with a Windsweep using a Forged Silver Sword. I needed that KO otherwise I would have died. Hubert can hit me for well over 35 points of damage with Banshee. Everyone else he can hit for 40 while doubling too. Much to my suprise though, the NPC Swordmaster was soloing a lot of the enemies quite well. I had Linhardt to heal her with Physic, but I was impressed that the NPC Swordmaster that showed up as a reinforcement did as well as she did. She even dodged Edelgard's battalion which blew my mind. Edelgard had a 80% chance to hit but missed. 

Lorenz got in a couple of KOs with a crit Frozen Lance which was his calling card. That plus Fiendish Blow and Lancefaire allowed him to punch through holes for me. Of course the danger was that if he didn't score the KO he would have died. I also had to keep Leonie away from the pegasus knights as she was no match for them with someone softening them up. The NPC Sniper reinforcements didn't do much but they chipped at some demonic beasts. Hilda had to lure him was enemies with Alert Stance but nearly died doing so a couple of times. Once she is a Wyvern Lord I think should she able to fare better. Finally I had to use gambits to freeze some enemies in place, silence a mage with Ward Shot and then used Dance so Ignatz can get away (which lead to Randolph going for Marianne and took the bait). Lysithea came in clutch at the end because during the battle she learned Hades which was my best spell at that point. There were a few enemies left and Hilda had already used a battalion. If I didn't take out Edelgard she would have killed Hilda with her battalion and freezing Byleth and Seteth in place. There were a couple of Demonic beasts left, Pegasus Knights kept spawning. It was either make or break. So I had no choice but to go for the kill and I managed to get it with a 9% chance to crit using Hades. I breathed a sigh of relief that I'd won but that was just the beginning.

Spoiler

So chapter 13 was a doozy. Of course dealing with 39 enemies was one hell of a tall order. I first started off using Windsweep on one of the Mercenaries in the bushes. I managed to nail him with a 83% chance. Then Claude finished him off so that's one enemy down. But then the enemies all decided to bunch themselves up in one of the chokepoints when going after Byleth. This was an amazing opportunity to use Immortal Co. That battalion had a ridiculous AoE which stunned everyone in place. I used Nosferatu in the bushes to further soften up one of the archers. Then I was able to dodge all but one sword swing but I got most of my health back so it wasn't a big deal. They bunched themselves up again leading me to use Immortal Co. again. I took that opportunity to have Claude flee the scene as he was safe from everyone else except for that Sniper whom I took out with Claude during enemy phase. 

Just in time for Hilda, Leonie, Ignatz and Lorenz to come in. Ignatz was KO'ing thieves and assassins left and right with his Killer Bow while I had the rest capitalize on Claude's gambit. This one I had to pick carefully on who to take out with who, because otherwise Lorenz and Leonie would either die or get hurt really bad. At one point I used the Failnaught as a regular weapon because Claude was just 1 HP short of killing one of the archers even with a forged Silver Bow. One of the archers had 44 HP. His forged Silver Bow even with Death Blow and Curved Shot can do 43. Kind of made regret not bringing strength +2 just for that. But alas, it was not meant to be. Still he was able to get rid of him.

Then Raphael, Marianne and Lysithea showed up. I used Raph to bait in the Assassin and he survived one round thanks to his high HP. He did over 2/3 of his health though so there was no way he can take another hit. Lysithea then was able to kill the assassin in one hit thankfully. Fiendish Blow is awesome on her per usual. I gave Marianne the healing staff instead of evasion ring because I felt that her healing could use some more potency since she isn't a bishop. From there I had Hilda lure in another Assassin using Alert Stance and she hang on. I lure in a few more enemies with Claude using Alert Stance he barely hung on. I got lucky that he wasn't hit because in one of the rounds he got hit twice despite the avoid boost. Makes me thankful I gave him HP +5 because he didn't have a lot of health left after surviving two rounds. Byleth was right there with Recover so that came in handy. Finally after picking them off with ranged critical hits, combat arts and brave lances, I finally got to Pollardo. Took him out his first form with Lysithea and Claude. Then his second form emerged. This wasn't that much tougher. I had to freeze him in place with Claude using Encloser so I can take out his back up eaily. Then Lysithea gets the final blow and she reached level 30. And with that, this dreadful fight is finally over.

Not everything went perfectly of course, I had to use a few divine pulses to counteract some deaths here and there but it all worked out in the end

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the hopes of keeping this topic alive and to those who are wondering how am I doing, I’m currently on chapter 16 on my Verdant Wind run on maddening. I’ve already done the Mercedes/Caspar paralogue battle and the Petra/Bernadetta paralogue battle.

Having Caspar KO the Death Knight was a matter of chance for me because I promoted him to a Warrior so I can have a higher crit chance with a Killer’s Axe. That took a few tried because I kept getting unlucky. One of my failed attempts was when the ambush spawn happens. Though for some reason it doesn’t always happen on turn 10 like it was scripted. At times I got them to spawn on turn 8 or 9 when there were a fee enemies left. Even after KO’ing the Death Knight with a crit didn’t end the battle (I don’t remember if it was like that on the lower difficulties or not).

The petra/bernie one wasn’t too bad. For this one I was aware of ambush spawn when Petra is close to the panel she needs to be to win. So I was able to position my units around that. Vengeance Bernadetta pretty much wiped out every swordmaster on the field. I had swordbreaker on her just in case. I used Blessing on her since I didn’t give her a guard adjutant. What didn’t occur to me initially was the enemy leader assassin can screw me out of winning by occupying the pink highlighted panel. But after a couple of redos I KO’d him and the rest was pretty much straight forward.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, Barren said:

Having Caspar KO the Death Knight was a matter of chance for me because I promoted him to a Warrior so I can have a higher crit chance with a Killer’s Axe. That took a few tried because I kept getting unlucky. One of my failed attempts was when the ambush spawn happens. Though for some reason it doesn’t always happen on turn 10 like it was scripted. At times I got them to spawn on turn 8 or 9 when there were a fee enemies left. Even after KO’ing the Death Knight with a crit didn’t end the battle (I don’t remember if it was like that on the lower difficulties or not).

Nice! Have you given anyond the Scythe of Sariel yet?

On 1/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, Barren said:

The petra/bernie one wasn’t too bad. For this one I was aware of ambush spawn when Petra is close to the panel she needs to be to win. So I was able to position my units around that. Vengeance Bernadetta pretty much wiped out every swordmaster on the field. I had swordbreaker on her just in case. I used Blessing on her since I didn’t give her a guard adjutant. What didn’t occur to me initially was the enemy leader assassin can screw me out of winning by occupying the pink highlighted panel. But after a couple of redos I KO’d him and the rest was pretty much straight forward.

Yep, Blessing pairs immensely well with Vengeance. Just don't make my mistake, of having her wield a Blessed Lance or Spear of Assal (gaining back HP? Bad Bernie!).

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Nice! Have you given anyond the Scythe of Sariel yet?

Yep, Blessing pairs immensely well with Vengeance. Just don't make my mistake, of having her wield a Blessed Lance or Spear of Assal (gaining back HP? Bad Bernie!).

Not yet. Though I do have Byleth's lance rank at A so I can give her the gradivus if I need to. Plus I think that I would have needed Argathiums to repair the Scythe if I remember correctly. Though if things get dicey I will use it. I had to use Lance of Ruin and Swift Strikes to take down Maurice. Not to mention that Maurice has nearly 200 HP when down to his last HP bar. I gave Seteth the Blessed Lance and had him use Monster Piercer. Though he is really really close on getting swift strikes. Once that is done, then he can be a legitimate monster killer. I'll eventually give Seteth the Spear of Assal eventually. I haven't been afraid of using the Hero's Relics or Scared Weapons if things got too overwhelming for me to handle so I'm going to continue to use my forged iron/silver/killer weapons until the situation calls for them

Edited by Barren

3 hours ago, Barren said:

I gave Seteth the Blessed Lance and had him use Monster Piercer.

Just FYI, the weakness effects don't stack. So you can get more damage out of Swift Strikes with a Blessed Lance, or Monster Piercer with a relic (Lance of Ruin, Luin, etc.).

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Just FYI, the weakness effects don't stack. So you can get more damage out of Swift Strikes with a Blessed Lance, or Monster Piercer with a relic (Lance of Ruin, Luin, etc.).

Ahh good to note. I didn’t realize that they don’t stack. At least now going forward I’ll know what works better. 

So far I managed to get past the Gronder Field battle. This wast admittedly very stressful because of Dimitri and Edelgard capable of OHKO’ing any of my units with their respective combat arts and counter attack. 

The ambush spawn that happens didn’t help matters either since they appear when you attack the Sniper whose at the ballista. Knowing that at least allowed me to plan better after that. I used stride at the beginning so I can get Lysithea in range to take out the Fortress Knight blocking in the way and to redirect the sniper. I gave Byleth Sacred Power because I felt that the extra defense for Lysithea as well as her relic may provide her sole extra protection. I found out with that exchange that the sniper only hit Lysithea for only 9 damage thanks to Aegis.

From there I just lured in the paladins with Hilda since she has Lancebreaker. She also did a number on the other fortress knights thanks to her Hammer+. Healed everyone accordingly too. When Dimtri’s forced started to move in I had to carefully lure in the ambush spawn units and madd damn well sure that Dorothea was far away from them since she dies in literally one hit. I was using her as siege tome support for Felix, Ingrid, Yuri and Byleth.

I had Yuri steal master seals from both Dimitri and Edelgard so I would save myself some money. The amazing thing is that he had one more point of speed than Dimitri so I got really lucky with the easy steal. Yuri is my assassin with the mastered thief skill. 

Getting rid of Dimitri was the biggest problem because I had no way of ensuring I’d survive any of his attacks. So after some thinking I used Byleth to soften him up with a gambit and then Lysithea was finally able to finish him off thanks to Hades + Sacred Power. The rest of the kingdom army weren’t that bad, I used Encloser to keep Dedue from attacking one of my allies with his Tomahawk.

I also wanted to point out that him having a speed ring served no purpose since he’s slow anyways. If he had something else he would have been better off. But hey IS, you do you.

After that I just carefully approached enemy as normal. Though what was amazing is that I broke the demonic beast’s barrier, I decided to go for Triangle Attack. And I am not making this up, it was doing over a hundred damage with a 100% chance to hit and 100% chance to crit. 

One last thing to bring up, Yuri having Duelist Blow and Axebreaker against Edelgard served him well since she only had a 26% chance of hitting him and that’s included Hit + 20 on her end

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally made it to chapter 19 and I’m one weekend away from finishing it.

I’ve been trying out everyone I have available, even some of those who are a bit under leveled. Some of which I liked and others not so much so I’ll just name some of the team members I’ve been using constantly and will have on my final team.

Spoiler

Byleth as a Falcon Knight has been nothing short of amazing. I got her sword rank at S so she can equip sword crit +10, lance rank at A+, Alert Stance+ and Defiant Avoid. I used that set up on the last mission and she destroyed nearly all of the warriors and assassins that were part of the fort mercius battle. Granted she didn’t have perfect accuracy against assassins, I think she had roughly around a 74% chance to hit but also a 88% chance to crit thanks to the Cursed Ashiya Sword+.

I had also given her Battalion Vantage so I could potentially negate any chance they have on hitting me while I was crit stacking. I know that Siege tome support with Dorothea or even Constance would help her hit rate. Having Claude nearby also helps out with her hit rate as well as avoid and might. But yea, this set for me as paid off in so many ways. I would eventually need to have someone use Retribution on her so she can counter against ranged attackers. Other than that I think I’ll go with it. Not to mention that when you factor in weapon prowess, avoid +10, alert stance+, defiant avoid and Cichol Wyven co. Battalion, the enemy’s hit rate is either 1% or 0%. It’s fucking comically strong.

Spoiler

Claude as a Barbarossa has also been great for me as well. I absolutely love the perks this class has. Flight, 8 move, Bowfaire, even Charm under the right circumstances can work. Not to mention his battalion has gotten me out of rough spots constantly and for that I find him to be invaluable to the team. Well of course, he’s a lord. He’s required for at least most of the fights anyways. But yea, Death Blow and Bow Crit +10 allows him to either punch holes for me, or straight up one shot something with his Killer Bow+.

Alert Stance+ is also a huge boon for him. I gave him Chalice of Beginning so he can counter attack without needing to take up close counter as a slot. I don’t mind close counter when I need it but I’ve been using my snipers and bow knights to preferably attack safely. Still, Claude is great. Technically Wyvern Lord is a better class for him but for a class that needs no investment this certainly helps. I might include Battalion Wrath if his battalion falls within the 1/3 endurance range but for now I’m happy with what I got going for him.

Spoiler

Marianne as a dancer is quite good. She’s one of my highest leveled up characters in this run alone. At one point, her level was higher than Byleth for me. To give you an idea on how effective she was for me, whenever I see enemy Warriors, Fortress Knights or Wyvern Riders nearby, I can have hide in a bush or thicket to grant her extra avoid. Then you also factor in Sword Avoid and Axebreaker, their hit rate gets reduced to 0. It’s comical how well that works. I was even able to get her movement +1 by I think the end of chapter 17. I did promote her to Paladin at one point so I can level up her riding as a adjutant. Plus the stat bonuses for her strength and defense helped her out.

I occasionally give her the march ring if need her to have 8 move or a healing staff so her Physics can be good for back up healing. Albeit since she isn’t a bishop it isn’t as effective. Still overall, I’m very happy with her performance. The only thing that would have made it better if she was actually able to ride Dorte. It’s her favorite horse after all. But paladin is a bit too niche for her and Falcon Knight would be a better option for her if you want to spam Lancefaire + Frozen Lance. And Holy Knights are bad in this game so....yea.

Spoiler

Lysithea as a gremory is what you would expect out of her. Great damage output but very glass. The Thyrsus Staff helps her out quite a bit since she really lacks the 3-10 range spells like Thoron or Meteor. But for what it’s worth, that plus Dark Magic Range + 1 gives her a whopping 5 range to her magic spells. It’s ridiculous. I also trained her in swords so she can reclass as a mercenary. Having her learn Vantage for me at least can make use of her frailty provided that she’s paired up with a guard adjutant or have the blessing gambit applied. 

Fiendish Blow always helps on enemy phase and having Defiant Magic allows her to inflict massive damage when she is about to die. I’ll admit that I haven’t found myself in too many situations where I could pull it off. And that is mostly because I’ve been making sure that she doesn’t get ambushed when she does go for her damage. Still, I wanted some kind of safety net for her incase things get dicey.

Spoiler

Igantz I am currently a bit on the fence on because I’ve only used him occasionally. But his level is in the mid 30s so it’s not all bad. Him as a sniper obviously works wonders and Hunter’s Volley is a great way for him to overcome the speed issues he faces. Having basically a hit +40 helps him a ton since enemies can be hard to hit at times. Especially fliers since they tend to be everywhere. Giving him either Fraldarius Soliders or Goneril Valkyries helps his crit chances which to me is his saving grace.

Rally Speed is also nice at times and Seal Strength is only good when using Break Shot (which Leonie also has) since debuffing strength and defense is a good combo against monsters. His boon in authority helped carried him in my opinion because having access to a strong battalion early on allows him to contribute.

Spoiler

Hilda as a Wyvern Lord has been very good for me as well. It’s undoubtedly her best class for obvious reasons. Yes her hit rate was an issue at times but pairing her up with Claude or Seteth where they can keep up with her in terms of movement helps her hit rate. One of the reasons why I rely on linked attacks so much. Giving her the accuracy ring mitigates her issue quite a bit for me too since I felt like that if I wasn’t going to have her be an archer, this was the next best thing.

I occasionally give her battalion wrath with a C rank flying battalion because of her bane in authority. It’s the best I can do for her in this case. But still combining that with alert stance+ and lancebreaker allows her to pretty much counter any paladins or pegasus knights I encounter. I also on occasion give her weight -3 and/or Darting Blow in case I need her to double an enemy which she is very capable of doing. Other than Swordmasters, Assassins, Pegasus Knights or Falcon Knights, this allows her to cleave through enemies without much trouble. 

Spoiler

Leonie as a Bow Knight has been growing on me as of late. I know that Falcon or Wyvern Lord are better options for her, but for what’s it worth, she’s been pulling her weight. Combining movement +1, canto and PBV is a sight to behold. Of course giving her a battalion with high hit like Gonreil Valkyries or even Edmund Troops ensures that she can chip away reliably or straight up punch a hole for a team member.

I am of course saving the Inexhaustible for her on the final battle where I can imagine I’ll be using that a lot. The Parthia Bow might also be a thing I’ll use as well pending on my set up.

Spoiler

Felix as a Warmaster certainly delivers. He was a late bloomer for me since he had to stay in two intermediate classes to get Vantage + Death Blow. Then two advance classes to get Defiant Strength and Tomebreaker + FIF. I also recently discovered that Battalion Vantage + Quick Riposte does work. Though he had killer gauntlets and his aegis shield equipped so he only did 2 attacks. I’m thinking on experimenting with this more but with lighter equipment for him and see if he can attack four times on enemy phase. I could always go back to Grappler if I need to, but he’s good where he is. He also has 40 strength and 37 speed. That’s quite high for him at level 38 right now.

As for the rest who are interchangeable for me, I may continue to use Dorothea as a Gremory for Physic and siege tome support (though this would be more effective on crimson flower and silver snow). Seteth for Swift Strikes, Hapi monsters + Seiros Shield, and maybe even Annette for rallies. I have even used Ashe on occasion but only for treasure chests and Seal Defense + Waning Shot combo. He’s a Wyvern Lord currently. Petra or Yuri as my go to Assassins.

As a disclaimer, yes I know Wyvern Lord Petra is far superior, but I didn’t want to have too many fliers on my team as flying battalions are limited in terms of selection.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I haven't updated this in a while but I wanted to let everyone know that I am finally at the home stretch. I'm at the very end of the game about to challenge Nemesis and his massive army including the 10 elites. I want to also show off who I'll bring forth to rise to the challenge. The last 3 chapter fights was quite challenge though the Shambala figh to me was the easier of the three encounters with one exception aside. Also when I type OHK'd it means one hit killed.

Let me briefly talk about them: 

Has anyone ever since the music but away during the Shambala fight? The link down below is a clip I recorded with my Nintendo Switch.

https://youtu.be/rKLln45n0gI

Spoiler

The assault on Enbarr mission at first was quite hard for me because there were Paladins, and monsters blocking the way. I had to move everyone to the right because it was the safest spot. But I hadn't figured that part out until these Falcon Knights spawned and basically one rounded my units. For this fight, I had brought Sacred Power with me so Hilda and Claude can one round the Falcon Knights with their Killer Weapons and dodge their attacks with Alert Stance. Hilda especially since I gave her Lancebreaker. Ignatz using the ballista worked better than I had hoped for as he OHK'd pretty much any mage that got close with a critical hit. Bernie and Sylvain also played a role as well. Thanks to Encloser and Horseslayer+ plus Swift Strikes combo. His Lance of Ruin was especially useful against these flying demons since Ruined Sky deals massive damage to them. Bernie and her Vengeance put in some work as well. I did notice that the other mages near Hubert will only spawn if I go near but it was during my turn so I used that to my advantage. Defiant Avoid at first got me a little unlucky with them killing me but after some adjustments it kicked in with their spells only having a 12% chance to hit me. It was fine at the end of the fight, it was just that the beginning was hard.

Spoiler

Going against Edelgard and the rest of the imperial army had me on my toes. But I was prepared. I managed to get the Opera company battalion and used Dance of the Goddess to allow my Dancer Marianne to go twice and Claude three times to help pick up some important KOs. Seteth's Battalion Wrath worked as well but he took a few hits along the way nearly neutralizing that set up in the process. I had him lure out the swordmasters with alert stance + and swordbreaker. I think one of them might have gotten a lucky hit but thankfully Killer Lance+ plus Swift Strikes combo put a stop to them. Bernie this time had a guard adjutant so she pretty much OHK'd the nearby enemies. Dedue was unsurprisingly bulky as he took nothing from Snipers and Heroes. Though Poison Strike certainly stings. The man had 91 HP. That's a lot for him on maddening. The really threat to him was the Gremories and Mortal Savant that can kill him easily with their magic. He smartly stayed put near one of the demonic beasts which I was rather impressed with. He was at least a good enough distraction. Tackling Edelgard was the biggest obstacle because her battalion can and probably would at any time kill me. I used the Windsweep combat art twice thanks to Marianne so I can safely chip away at her. Then Claude scores a critical hit with his Falling Star combat art thus ending the fight.

Spoiler

As for the Shambala fight, this wasn't really too bad if I am being honest. The Titanus were bulky yea but after breaking their barriers I got some Argathiums to repair the Death Knight's Scythe. The one thing I never bothered doing from my previous playthroughs until I got curious was to explore the two small facilities in the upper right and lower left corner respectively. Enemies were waiting inside surprise surprise. But Killing them got the Viskam to stop working and killing Myson wasn't much a challenge at all. Thank you Leonie and Point Blank Volley. Ashe was rather effective in this fight as well. I made him a Wyvern Lord with a bow. Yes he's still inferior to the other Wyvern Lords I had on my team but with a combo of Seal Defense and Waning Shot it made it easier for me to kill the Titanus with gambits. His stats were under 30 except for HP obviously so he really needed Death Blow to inflict any kind of damage. Though lock picking chests was nice. I lured out the other enemies as safely as I could as per usual. The Great Knight with a bolt Axe wasn't much a problem either. Ashe used Impregnable Wall on Hilda so she can safely open the door and survive whatever onslaught that was coming. Thales magic that hits everyone nearly killed everyone except a couple of my units. I kind of wished I had brought Mercedes or Flayn for this fight since they have Fortify. Though Flayn especially was quite low leveled and I didn't want to risk losing her and wasting my divine pulses thus looping back and forth. But after that, everything went fine. Byleth one rounded Thales very especially since she can double attack him.

As far as my team of 12 goes, hopefully everyone can see it via image shack but these are the 12 I think I'm going with. Of course I still have another 3 weekends left before the final boss and I am going to use the best of fodlan dish for stat increases. I could always make minor adjustments pending on what you guys think. Like I could maybe replace potentially Dorothea with Constance as a Gremory as she would then have 4 shots with Bolting and would have access to a battalion that will greatly increase her hit rate. Plus she has Rescue so that can also be useful. But Dorothea has Meteor and Physic so it's kind of hard to just easily replace her. But yea, let me know what you guys think of my final team. I do plan on switching a couple of abilities around as well.

EDIT: If for some reason people can't see my images via Image Shack (or if you recommend another website for me to freely share images) I'll upload them as personal attachments here.

Byleth - Falcon Knight

Spoiler

2021020707550400_s.thumb.jpg.b0d72059cfc699580f8c3e6761f917b5.jpg

Claude - Barbarossa

Spoiler

2021020707552400_s.thumb.jpg.fdb4215eb598dbdf4b80f430365434b9.jpg

Marianne - Dancer

Spoiler

2021020707565100_s.thumb.jpg.db6e3d0ca134141bef94d5fa8a0b4072.jpg

Lysithea - Gremory

Spoiler

2021020707563300_s.thumb.jpg.3eda975394c5eae53d745a7af3d3cdfd.jpg

Ignatz - Sniper

Spoiler

2021020707555600_s.thumb.jpg.ad0fb25e7939a213eae401565ed6e9c5.jpg

Leonie - Bow Knight

Spoiler

2021020707572900_s.thumb.jpg.7337cfe7d499df0c7a5eda54e46d2821.jpg

Hilda - Wyvern Lord

Spoiler

2021020707571300_s.thumb.jpg.844def9adc5110586f99979f9b3a8b49.jpg

Bernadetta - Bow Knight

Spoiler

2021020707575300_s.thumb.jpg.8b96099f66596db3e09035bb51b70fcb.jpg

Dorothea - Gremory

Spoiler

2021020707580300_s.thumb.jpg.66af5015acfc68210029e42af6f74544.jpg

Petra - Assassin

Spoiler

2021020707582100_s.thumb.jpg.d55b9b92c1c0101e9a6ac0df106f1b52.jpg

Felix - War Master

Spoiler

2021020707583900_s.thumb.jpg.dbfb937334e1ebb843866500c9743cf4.jpg

Seteth - Wyvern Lord

Spoiler

2021020707590200_s.thumb.jpg.2dd1caa70710b22c0965a081cac31ac8.jpg

Edited by Barren
Posting images in case Image Shack is not working for other viewers

Well, if you're already on the final mission, it's a bit late for suggestions!  Whatever you have has clearly worked well enough up 'till now...

..I will say that though it's a flavorful choice for Bern, I can't say that I'm a fan of Varley Archers.  That battalion lacks a Phys Atk boost which just instantly renders it irrelevant IMO, especially for an archer - Bern's 25 Str just isn't scaring much.  I guess if your sole goal with Bern is to have her spam Encloser from high range at maximum accuracy, it's fine, but having at least some sort of threat is nice too.  If you can scrounge up a Brave Bow, then the Battalion damage boost is twice as good, too.  I guess the Gambit on Varley Archers is handy, but Bern's charm is only so-so.

7 hours ago, SnowFire said:

Well, if you're already on the final mission, it's a bit late for suggestions!  Whatever you have has clearly worked well enough up 'till now...

..I will say that though it's a flavorful choice for Bern, I can't say that I'm a fan of Varley Archers.  That battalion lacks a Phys Atk boost which just instantly renders it irrelevant IMO, especially for an archer - Bern's 25 Str just isn't scaring much.  I guess if your sole goal with Bern is to have her spam Encloser from high range at maximum accuracy, it's fine, but having at least some sort of threat is nice too.  If you can scrounge up a Brave Bow, then the Battalion damage boost is twice as good, too.  I guess the Gambit on Varley Archers is handy, but Bern's charm is only so-so.

I do have stat boosters for her and I do have Edmund's troops which will slightly boost her hit rate but also up her attack by 5. I managed to snag some more Wootz Steel so I can make one more forged Brave Bow for her. So I will at least make that change. But yea, I want her and maybe on occasion Claude to Encloser so I can keep the enemies at bay for as long as I need them to.

I finally beat Golden Deer on Maddening! This fight only took me abut an hour half mostly because I had to take my time and think of my moves. But long story short: It took a combination of Leonie scoring 2 critical hits with PBV and she survived one hit from Nemesis. Then Vengeance Bernie + Lance of Ruin sealed the deal! Felix was my MVP in that fight because I think he took out at least 3 members of the 10 elites along with other mages that were victims of his giant fists!

21 hours ago, Barren said:

I finally beat Golden Deer on Maddening! This fight only took me abut an hour half mostly because I had to take my time and think of my moves. But long story short: It took a combination of Leonie scoring 2 critical hits with PBV and she survived one hit from Nemesis. Then Vengeance Bernie + Lance of Ruin sealed the deal! Felix was my MVP in that fight because I think he took out at least 3 members of the 10 elites along with other mages that were victims of his giant fists!

Congratulations! Did you beat all the Elites, or try to get the jump on Nemesis? Oh, and what have you got planned next?

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Congratulations! Did you beat all the Elites, or try to get the jump on Nemesis? Oh, and what have you got planned next?

I beat all the Elites then took out Nemesis. To sum it up as quickly as possible: I got a lucky crit against Blaiddyd with Byleth early on. I was going to have Lysithea one shot him since he was so close but she was off by 2 HP which quite annoyed me and I wasn't sure if I wanted to risk her crest activating know that if I do, even with a guard adjutant she would die to another enemy nearby. I could have risked it with Dark Spikes but I felt that Byleth going for a hit was a wiser choice. Seteth tanked a lot of hits for me. With Spear of Assal and Ochain shield equipped he recovered 40 HP every turn! I was impressed with how well he did.

One hilarious note I would like to make: As long as Dancer Marianne with her hero's relic + sword avoid + axe breaker + hiding in the bushes is a thing, Goneril had 0 chance of hitting her. Plus she did like 40 damage to him which is almost half of his health. I laughed out loud when that happened. I think I had Lysithea finish of Goneril.  But beyond that, I took my time with this fight. I did make a couple of silly mistakes but it only took me about 4 divine pulses so this fight wasn't as bad as I feared. Hilda did take a beating though so I only used an elixir but she was one rounding basically every fortress knight with a forged brave axe. 

As far as what I have planned next, I do plan on doing Blue Lions maddening but not for a little bit. I need a break after this one. I do have a couple of ideas for Byleth though: I want to try Male Byleth and see what class options can be good. I loved Female Byleth as a Falcon Knight, she was great. Using her as a high avoid damage dealer was a joy for me on maddening and if I were to ever go back to that class option again for whatever reason I would. But this time I want to try a different class route and try out Male Byleth and see if I can do something with him. Yes Wyvern Lord is a great fit for Byleth but I want to think of a couple of other options to try.

I got to say, while this take quite a bit out of me figuring out how to get through these battles and yes some of which were annoying like Claude's paralogue or Mercedes/Caspar paralogue because of ambush spawns at certain turns. This run for me was an eye opening experience and I really got to appreciate how valuable combat arts are. And not just combat arts, spells like Rescue, Warp, and even stride battalions saved me from losing any of my units. There were plenty of times I used up all of my divine pulses to figure out how to get out of bad spots.

Moves like Curved Shot, Smash, Tempest Lance and even Fading Blow (yes you read that right) served me well in the beginning because they had their tactical or damaging use. Once you know where the ambush spawns are it's not as bad as it sounds. I  just had to remember to make sure that you don't send in your weaker units to be the bait. The ambush spawn themselves I'll rant a bit here are unfair at times because the moment you breathe a sigh of relief and can focus on the boss more of them come when you don't want them to. They are like those exes that refuse to take the hint and go away. 

As a overall challenge, I enjoyed it because this taught me to be aware of how to approach. Like measuring the enemy's movement range before moving in, deciding if it's safe to move up or not. Of course that is only one route I did. I'm sure I'll hate Silver Snow (especially Silver Snow) and maybe a Azure Moon at first because of the chapter 13 map and Silver Snow's final boss. I'm still looking forward to tackling the other 3 routes whenever I make the time. Also thanks to those he gave me some suggestions and feedback on my maddening progress.

Edited by Barren

On 2/12/2021 at 8:18 PM, Barren said:

Moves like Curved Shot, Smash, Tempest Lance and even Fading Blow (yes you read that right) served me well in the beginning because they had their tactical or damaging use.

@Zoran can certainly attest to that.