Gotta rate 'em all-Three Houses, Day 12: Ashe

Benice

Thanks you @Dayni for covering for me when I forgo-I mean, had a perfectly good and justified reason not to post one of these last time!

Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard or Maddening Mode. Also, they should be based on when the unit is first available. (When rating a unit, please specify whether you are rating assuming Hard or Maddening.)

Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper Justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

-The rating you give to a unit assumes a good build for said unit-nothing among the lines of, "Dedue is 2/10 because he's a bad mage."

-The ranking assumes no grinding of any form, no DLC and minor, (one or two stat boosters per month) use of the Greenhouse.

- Make votes easily visible, please! "[Explanation text]: So, overall, I think X unit is a 7.5/10, with a +1 bias included for being hawt/cute/funny/etc.."

- Every ranking phase ends approximately at 20:00 PST. Do the math for your timezone, please!

-We will ask you to not use the "Not X unit" reason. Because it will be used a lot. I.E, do not say "Linhardt bad because not Lysithea."

-The Black Eagles may be assessed based on their performances in either Silver Snow or Crimson Flower, other than when not applicable.

Scores:

Dimtri: 9.14

Edelgard: 9.00

Felix: 8.625

Petra: 8.34

Ferdinand: 7.78

Bernadetta: 7.125

Linhardt: 7.11

Dorothea: 6.375

Dedue: 5.8571

Hubert: 5.525

Caspar: 4.32

Average score for Black Eagles: 6.94

Average score for Blue lions: 7.85

Day 12: Ashe

Edited by Benice

Ashe isn't a terrible unit, but there also isn't much to recommend him.

The good: 9+50% speed is just behind Felix for third fastest in the Lions. He's also got pretty good res (6+35% is about as good as physical units get). In terms of talents, he has both bows and axes, which help his way towards the most powerful physical builds, i.e. wyvern and archer. In terms of combat arts, the most notable one is Deadeye, which gives him 5-7 range depending on his class, obviously nice for his targeting options although he'll definitely want to raise his accuracy if he wants to use the full extent of that range with any reliability. And finally, while I wouldn't call his personal that good objectively, it is rather convenient to have someone who can open treasure without an inventory slot, especially if you forget to buy chest keys.

The less good: The rest of his stats leave much to be desired. 8+35% str is the bottom rung for physical units, 23+35% HP and 5+20% defence look more like mage numbers (did you know that fellow Lion Mercedes tops him for HP, def, and res?). 5+25% charm is also unimpressive. It's a similar (bad) stat build to what Bernadetta and Ignatz have, but Ashe has less to make up for it than those two. He's slightly faster than them, but nowhere near fast enough especially since he can't get Darting Blow. Having no boons in any non-weapon skills isn't great either (same problem Felix had, but at least he's not -authority).

This was a pretty short writeup, but there's really not much to say. Nothing about Ashe really stands out that positively, and his mediocre stats (str, bulk, charm) mean that anything you'd want him to do, someone else can probably do better. He's lucky that sniper is a great low-effort physical build for people with mediocre stats, and he gets to it easily, so that puts him above Caspar, at least. But he's probably the weakest Lion. 3.5/10.

Ashe is aggresively okay. I wish he had one skill proficiency in one of riding, flying or armor. Dude wants to be a knight in-universe so no riding proficiency feels like an odd omission. As is, he's going to be a Sniper who doesn't need to much go out of the way becoming a brigand for death blow. Deadeye helps bait enemies pre-maturely out of difficult formations but is otherwise pretty useless. Shatter Smash as his budding talent might prove valuable in the Sothis paralogue so your punchy guys will rack up even bigger damage on monsters, but I wish he didn't have to suffer retaliation to use it. Ignatz, by comparison could get in that debuff at 3 range using break shot.

Like yeah, other archers from other houses are better. But it feels kind of mean to just point to them when talking about Ashe. All Snipers are good because they just need their strength stat and very little tutoring to function. Any tutoring you can spare will just pad their Bow rank to pick up Bow Crit and Bowfaire earlier on for even better Hunter's Volley performance. If you're not swimming in cash to spam that art with killer bow, the much cheaper and more durable mini bow + will also have some decent crit rate. An axe proficiency can help him become a wyvern, but the only flying archers I care about are Cyril and Leonie on account of having Point Blank volley to kind of pretend to be a sniper with canto.

The one realistic application I can think of for his personal is chapter 13 when you realize you forgot to buy chest keys before the time skip and oops there's no opportunity now. I'm willing to bet the amount of players that realized too late that Ashe could have picked those locks and were really kicking themselves over it actually outnumbers how many people have used Ashe's personal skill in that chapter. Anyway I rate him a 3.5. I feel like I'd only bench him if his level ups weren't up to par, and the axe proficiency helps him become one of your first guard adjutants if you do decide to bench him. Too bad he provides no special ally bonuses. Shamir and Recruit!Ignatz should end up being higher than Ashe on stats, and also not need much in the way of tutoring (Shamir joins with an B minimum in bows and D authority, while Ignatz has an authority strength to make up for joining at E+). I guess I ultimately rate him so low because of those obvious replacement units that either have more utilities or make better snipers. Caspar and Raphael are in the same boat in their respective routes.

Edited by Glennstavos

Mr. ‘I wanna be a knight’. Ashe is a good guy. But do you know how the phrase goes? ‘Good guys finish last’. Very true in this case.

Skill Levels:      With Bows sitting pretty at D with a Boon, Ashe should have no problems getting into Archer or Snipper. E+ and Booned Axe allows for easy Brigand and Warrior certifications. His Lance Talent is useful for getting into his preferred Master Classes. His only Bane is in Reason and is completely irrelevant.

Abilities:     His personal is Locktouch (Or ‘Lockpick’, but semantics). IDK why. It’s not like you can buy Chest keys or anything. Oh, wait, you can. It would’ve been better if he had Steal, but oh well. Battalion Desperation is maybe of some use? IDK.

Arts:     Ashe’s Arts are shit. Focused Strike is utterly pointless, Deadeye is of marginal use, and Waning Shot is extremely situational. Shatter Slash (from his Budding Talent) is slightly better than Waning Shot. But only slightly.

Stats:      8+55% Dexterity and 9+50% Speed are Ashe’s biggest selling points. Unfortunately, ALL his other growths are less than 40%. 23+35% Hp, 5+20% Defense, and 6+35% Resistance means he dies to a stiff breeze. 6+40% Luck is nearly pointless. 8+35% Strength is piddly. 5+25% Magic is irrelevant. 5+25% Charm makes him weak to Gambits. I do not need to continue.

Classes:     Beginner- Fighter for Strength +2 or Soldier for Repo.

Intermediate- Brigand for Death Blow and Archer for Hit +20

Advanced- Sniper for Hunter’s Volley or Wyvern for growths

Master- Bow Knight for Bow Range +2, Wyvern Lord because any non-mage works in it, or just stick to Sniper for Hunter’s Volley

The Verdict

Unless you go Sniper for Hunters Volley and spam Killer Bows, you put him down Fighter > Brigand > Wyvern and you bloody pray. Easily the weakest of the Blue Lions. And when you have the monsters that are Dimitri, Edelgard, Felix, Dedue, and - to a lesser extent – Petra, do you honestly have room for this sod? 2/10

Edited by L3xandr3
typo

I feel like any honest assessment could make him cry. And that's terrible.

Ashe gets cooking his numbers:

Spoiler

Ashe's bases and growths are probably the most notable point against him. Sure 8+55% Dex and 9+50% Spd are very nice, but his next highest growth's at 6+40% Luk. 8+35% Str is not all that great and at risk of leaving him behind, but at least there are classes he can raise that growth in. 23+35% HP and 5+20% Def is a very bad defensive statline, 6+30% Res is only marginally better. 5+25% Cha is pretty bad for offensive gambits and 5+25% Mag is also bad, but he doesn't have much magic spells to begin with.

For his Strengths and Weaknesses, Ashe hadn't got much. Strengths in Axes and Bows are both very nice however in terms of class access. Weakness in Reason does say he doesn't want magic, while a budding talent in Lances, which can also be nice for class access and Shatter Slash is a combat art I appreciated, much as units other than Ashe can use it better.

Aske's magic is predictably limited. Reason has Wind and Cutting Gale, while Faith has H + N and Physic, which is at least better than some others.

Ashe's personal skill is Lockpick. Having a dedicated thief and not having to carry around Chest/Door Keys is on paper nice. It is such a limited application however that he often has no skill. He's crestless, we'll move on.

Ashes' combat arts are disappointingly short. He has Focused Strike (Bah.) in Axes and Deadeye (Accuracy far away is an issue, but having extra range is unappreciated. Plus it's him, Bernadetta and a DLC character for it) and Waning Shot (I still don't care for any other than Break shot, maybe a Spd reducer would have been nice.) in Bows. As for Authority skills he gets Battalion Desperation, which is really ho hum on him.

See, I didn't mention how Ashe has no positive or negative for the three movement proficiencies. This technically means he has equal access to classes requiring them. While it can take time as a result, I recommend going for it in teaching, regardless of your end goal.

How did I rate him?

Spoiler

Never recruited him in VW, killed him. Hated it. Keep in mind I didn't feel sorry for quite a few of the others, so yeah.

In CF, I ended up taking him down Archer/Brigand (Both mastered) -> Wyvern -> WL. I will say he was pretty good compared to the units around him (Seriously, Ingrid and Petra's Str was low and units like Felix weren't much better, even Byleth were only a bit higher than that), but I could see several of them having been screwed either by the choices made or by the RNG.

In AM, using him from the start allowed me to also master Warrior as well as basic classes. Getting 34 Str and 37 Spd meant he did alright enough and considering he has Deadeye, I have to say his Dex could have been better.

For SS, he never saw use outside his paralogue, I don't think he fought once.

I didn't use him outside his paralogue in maddening.

It's honestly true, Ashe's growths aren't the best, but it is that combined with his limited tools that hurts him. At least he's a pretty easy WL who can also use bows. I'll rate him a 5/10, probably should put Caspar there in retrospect.

Edited by Dayni

For my money, the weakest unit in the game.

When rating units in thisgame, I generally like to look at their unique selling points. What are the things that this unit brings to the table that other units don't? And Ashe really doesn't have any. Pretty much everything that he does, someone else will do bigger, better, faster, more. And the few things that are uniquely his are completely unimpressive. His dex is great, but that doesn't mean much because dex is one of the least valuable stats. His personal is instantly superceded by the ability to buy chest keys. Deadeye has a few niche uses early on before it gets outclassed by long range magic with thyrsus. And that's about it. He does well if you put him in good classes like Sniper or Wyvern, but everyone deos well if you put them in good classes.

He isn't a bad unit, per se -- nobody in Three Houses is truly bad -- but he has nothing to recommend him. I give him 3.5/10.

4.5 / 10 on Hard

The good:

• Good Spd & okay Str at base, and respectable Spd growth for a physical-oriented unit.
  • Curved Shot at base, handy for chip at distance.
  • Proficiency in Axe & Bow, and budding talent in Lance: Easier access to Death Blow and Hit+20, as well as strong classes like Wyvern and Sniper.

The not-so-good:

• Low Str & Def growth for a physical-oriented unit.
  • Personal ability doesn't benefit anyone's combat performance.
  • No crest, thus penalty when using relics and no extra boost to his damage output.

The mixed:

• Learnt personal Combat Arts are situationally useful but not outstanding enough to compensate his stats.
    • Deadeye: needs to stack Hit to do meaningful damage.
    • Waning Shot: useful to debuff, but learnt at Bow A which is too late to be meaningful on Hard, especially considering that in-house teammate Mercedes learns it too and from budding talent.
    • Shatter Slash: learnt from budding talent, but debuff at melee range doesn't look appealing considering his Def.
    • Focused Strike gives more Hit and less Mt than Smash, but on Hard, Ashe needs more +Mt than +Hit.
  • Only learns Battalion Desperation which isn't as relevant if he's using Bow, and no Battalion Wrath to boost damage output or rally to help his teammates.

4/10 (Maddening)

I feel bad doing this. I take no pleasure in doing this.

But this poor cinnamon roll has almost nothing going for him gameplay wise. Sniper/Wyvern Lord are his few saving graces because his boons do give him easy access to them. Him receiving a 4 is basically on their merit- he's a great budget Sniper for BL at least. But his mediocre stats overall, combined with no good combat arts or abilities results in a unit who only excels with extreme favouritism (which tbf, it is Ashe, many people will do that for him) or when put into roles and classes that others can do better in.

Sorry Ashe.

Now we have Lord Lonato's adopted son Ashe. What is there to say about this kid? He's as sweet and earnest as they come. But how does he do on the battlefield? Let's get into. This is assuming hard mode.

Ashe's stats starting off are nothing to ride home about. 8 strength with a 35% growth is typical for about any archer. His dex and speed being 8 and 9, along with a 55% and a 50% growth respectively are pretty good traits. But like typical archers, he is frail. 5 defensive with a 20% growth and 23 HP with a 35% growth are not attractive qualities at all. His personal ability while nice at times is a pretty tiny niche. Lockpick allows him to be a thief without being a thief (I know....it's a weird sentence to say). Though if you think about his lore on how he used to be a common thief before he was reformed by Lonato, it is quite fitting. He would remember on how to pick locks from his younger days. So character wise this makes perfect sense for him. Battle wise, it doesn't impact his performance in battle at all. At least other typical archers like Bernie who brings persecution complex increases her attack power when hurt, or Ignatz who has watchful eye which is a super useful innate hit +20. But what does Ashe have over the other two? A boon in axes. This makes it quite easy for him to access Brigand for Death Blow from the Fighter class. Then once you master Death Blow go to Archer for Hit +20. He does start with Curved Shot which is always nice. And him having E+ in axes allows him to work towards Smash early.

He has a budding talent in lances which unlocks Shattered Slash. Lowering the enemies' defense, it's nice to have this mostly requires for him to take a hit from a monster and if he was on a horse or wyvern, it would be smart to run away afterwards assuming he survives a hit. This however does make it easier for him to go down the Bow Knight or Wyvern Lord paths for him. Bow Knight is an option for him to have a guard adjutant and a grounded battalion to increase his stats. You would need a battalion with an extremely high hit rate. Particularly Edmund's Troops. It adds a whooping hit +40. Combine that with Hit +20 and an accuracy ring, this allows Ashe to have the highest accuracy possible for Dead Eye. He learns Dead Eye at rank C+ and then Waning Shot at rank A. This combat art lowers the enemies' strength by 5. It's okay for a debuff combat art, but you would want something better. Though if you did master Wyvern Rider to learn Seal Defense I suppose you would combine the two together and ignore Shatter Slash entirely. Wyvern Lord will no doubt increase his bulk and attack which he is sorely lacking in, the only axe combat art that is new for him to learn aside from Smash and Helm Splitter is Focused Strike. Focused Strike does not add any additional might but it does add a +30 hit rate. It's reliable but nothing ground breaking. Sniper is another good option for him as Hunter's Volley will always be good. Warrior is a not as good as an option for Ashe as you would hope. Yes his high dex growth works well with the added strength buff.  But his meager bulk won't justify him trying to pull a Wrath build. Same with War Master and Quick Riposte. For Authority he only learns Battalion Desperation. Unless he out-speeds someone rather significantly he really doesn't get any benefit from it at all. Perhaps if he keeps getting lucky with speed buffs every level up and he was a Wyvern Lord, then I suppose he can wallop enemies with a Brave Axe. Striking someone 4 times in a row without the enemy trying to fight back sounds wonderful but for him it's a pipe dream.

Overall, he is a 4/10 unit for me. His talents are only useful in a handful of situations where treasure chests and locked doors are aplenty. But his meager bulk and lackluster attack will most likely hold you back. Though in fairness you would want to keep him leveled at least up until beginning of part 2. He'll show up in chapter 13 again along with Gilbert and he would need help taking care of archers and snipers that threaten him with Poison Strike. And even before then, his paralogue battle with Catherine. He can achieve a good attack stat and hit rate later on but he honestly feels like a generic unit with an infinite supply of lock picks.

Edited by Barren

On Maddening, there just isn't much reason to use Ashe.  All the default archers in each house are already pretty iffy on Maddening by default, as their strength and speed typically can't keep up with the growth rates of enemies.  They quickly turn into Hunter's Volley bots, which any unit can fill the role as.  But at least Bernadetta and Ignatz have some other utility to their benefit.  Bernadetta has really good Combat Arts and a great crest.  The Vengenance build is a thing, and even if you leave her in archer, she'll still get Encloser and Deadeye.  Ignatz gets a ton of Rally skills, which is super useful in the beginning chapters of Maddening.  The only remotely useful skill Ashe gets is Deadeye, and that on its own is not good enough.

His Combat Arts aren't great, his stats aren't great, his personal ability is bad.  The only redeeming thing about him is that his default class path lets him get into Sniper easily to pick up Hunter's Volley.  There's really no reason to use him on Maddening, as the best you can say about him is that he won't actively hurt your team.  2/10

3/10+1 for at least easy wyvern adjutant 🙂  = 4/10.

I just want to emphasize that despite what people have said about his mediocre growth rate, I don't think it matters that much (Wyvern base and axes' Mt helps a ton), it's his base stat and lack of decisive tools (learned abilities/CAs) that really hurts. He's like the sort-of-speedy, low str, crit-based unit without BWrath, so a massive and direct downgrade from Claude and Petra, who are EP god(dess), just like Caspar is the non-slow War Master prototype without enough str or broken crest (but still bad base spd are you kidding me), which is a massive and direct downgrade from M!Byleth or Felix, who are the biggest PP nukes.

Woahh.. there's some harsh scores for Ashe. I don't think he's 2~3/10 bad. Ashe isn't great, there's nothing stand out about him, but he's not borderline unusable. He's overshadowed by a lot of other units, but he's serviceable for people who want to use him. His proficiencies as good for raising into Sniper or Wyvern Lord. I think he has slightly a easier inhouse early game compared to Ingrid.

He's decent on Hard, for NG Maddening, he's worse during late game. I had him master Sniper, and scummed for a Wyvern Lord certification pass (didn't master the class). He's works out on Wyvern for upto mid game, and then for the last few chapters, I switched out for Sniper again. Not sure if WL was worth it in retrospect. What I like is that he can fly in and help on Ch13, and he can act independently to get snipe chests on several maps as WL or use Hunter's Volley as Sniper. He gets the job done, and it's not too difficult getting him in a good class. 

I've always used him on BL runs, and never had that moment where I felt I want to just drop him. However, I've also never gone out of my way to recruit him out of house. He has no great selling points. He's ok, serviceable.  5.5/10 

Ashe, assessed on AM Maddening

The bad

From the get-go, Ashe's stats hardly paint a rosy picture. Defense of 5+0.20x, Charm of 5+0.25x, and HP of 23+0.35x, are all quite poor. His Strength, at 8+0.35x, isn't quite as atrocious, but it's less than ideal for a physical attacker. "Why not train him in magic, then?", you may ask. Well, his Magic stat is even worse, at 5+0.25x. And his Reason list gets a paltry two spells - presumably due to it being his sole bane area. His Faith list isn't especially long, either, with only 3 spells. Ashe also has no Crest, meaning he'll take damage if he tries to take up any Hero's Relic. And his personal skill affords him no combat boost, even though he desperately wants one. Can anything save this poor street rat?

The good

Ashe may have more than a few things to cry over - Lonato's passing chief among them - but he has a few things going for him, as well. His Speed and Dexterity are actually quite good, at 9+0.50x and 8+0.55x, respectively. And while 6+0.35x in Resistance may not sound great, it's better than any of the other Blue Lion boys. His proficiencies are actually fairly solid - Bows give him easy access to Archer, including Hit+20, and later the powerful Sniper. Axes make Armor Certification (insta-Defense), Death Blow, and the Wyvern Classes fairly easy to come by. Speaking of which, he's neutral in all movement types, so picks like Bow Knight, and even Fortress Knight, are certainly possible. He also has a budding talent in Lances, granting him the debuffing Shatter Slash. His other combat arts include Focused Strike (when you really need that axe hit to land) and Deadeye (letting him attack well beyond usual range, but at a cost to Hit). While his Personal skill does nothing for his combat, it does allow him to open chests, in a mounted/flying class, while maintaining a full inventory. And while I still wouldn't recommend Ashe follow a magical build, his access to Physic is at least worth a mention.

The verdict

Ashe is lucky to be assessed on AM - on SS or VW, he takes a serious hit due to missing out on a couple chapters post-skip. He has fairly good proficiencies, and a few tricks up his sleeves, bolstered by strong performance in the "Myrmidon stats". That said, his damage output and physical bulk are also what we'd expect from one who grew up a Thief. Ashe has little to set him apart, in a class where many of his mates are the best - best Tank, best Crest, best Rallies, etc.. All things considered, I have to rate Ashe a 4 out of 10.

4.5/10, which is very close to a common rating apparently. There isn’t much to say about Ashe (which affects my motivation to do this which affects how much I have to say and blah blah), his bases and growths are mediocre, his only good combat art considering his low strength is deadeye, and his boons and bands are just so... meh. Having access to lock touch is nice though, and he can be pretty good if trained up and put in a good class (like most other bad units). There’s not really a reason to use him on maddening though, but since he could be good, 4.5/10.

Nooooooo, not my bby Ashe 😭 He's one of my top 3 favorite characters both as a character and as a unit, it hurts seeing these ratings for him but I understand LOL.

Yeah, Ashe isn't necessarily a great unit, and there's nothing that really sets him apart from other bow-based characters, but he was amazing in my BL playthrough. I took him down the basic archer-sniper-bow knight path and he ended up a crit machine (always at least 75-85% crit rate). He was MVP for several of my late game chapters in Hard/Classic. I even used him to wipe out a whole HP bar for the boss in the final map. Even tho he's not a great unit, he can be pretty good if you invest in him. Keyword: invest LOL. But yeah, there's plenty of other better units.

I wanna end this on a good note, so I'll start off with the bad:
Honestly, Ashe finds his flaws in his stats. There's a lot to list, but to put it shortly, he has low growths strength, defense, magic, AND charm--none of these exceeding 35%. This unfortunately really hinders his performance in any class available as his damage output AND damage intake will be poor. He will be very lacking in either a physical or a magic role with his stats. Because of his stats, he may prove to be a liability on the battlefield especially on enemy phase. He's a physically-oriented unit with a preference in bows, but he lacks type of standout feature that sets him apart from the other bow oriented units--as Leonie has Point-Blank Volley, Bernadetta has Vengeance, and Ignatz is loaded with debuffers and rallies. Ashe overall is an "okay" unit at best, falling below-average. Unfortunately, he is plagued with a pretty bad personal, as well. It has it's uses, yes, but it doesn't offer him anything useful in combat.

The good:
Despite having abysmal stats in every other category, his dex, speed, and luck are part of his saving grace--at 8+55%, 9+50%, 6+40% respectively. If put on the right path, he can be a speedy crit machine with an amazing 95% crit rate growth (dex+luck). This is actually on par with PETRA (minus her personal), and I did find him to crit very, very often--which is something I noticed many people miss to acknowledge. His combat arts are pretty decent as well, having Deadeye, Waning Shot, and his budding talent as Shatter Slash. While not amazing, these definitely have their uses and can allow Ashe to chip decently so that others can steal the kill--but let's be real, he has to NOT crit in order to chip, which he probably might HAHA. His boons are also pretty worthy of noting, being one of three characters that possess a boon in both Axes and Bows. This can put him on a smooth path to 2 of the considered best classes in the game: Bow Knight and Wyvern Lord, as well as easy access to Death Blow and Hit +20--all very useful niches to have. Having a boon in both Axes and Bows, he shares the niche of being a bow-wielding Wyvern with Cyril. Flying bows are arguably the best in the game (something the Kinshi Knight of Fates wishes it was), and Ashe can transition easily to that. However, he is neutral in flying while Cyril is proficient. Wyvern+Locktouch can prove to be useful when needed, as well

also he's a bby that should be protected ALWAYS

Overall, with a +1 bias, I give him a 6/10. He is lacking in almost every stat category minus speed, dex, and luck, giving him a very poor performance on the battlefield. He also lacks any standout feature from other comparable units, but if invested in, he can excel as high-speed crit-machine.

and he's the best boi of the blue lions NO QUESTIONS

Edited by Tenma