Western Release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light Announced

PeaceRibbon

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this came out of nowhere.

Hopefully 2 and 3 will follow. 4 and beyond goes into "the original would disincentivize remake sales" territory, so I question giving us those. Maybe FE12 though, Japan eventually got Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, which Europe and NA did, but they did not, another DS title.

Even for $5.99 though, an NES SRPG sounds like a hard sell to me, that genre ain't the platformer. Mega Man and Super Mario Bros. have aged liked cheese, FE like that no-preservatives organic bread you bought two weeks ago and left out in the rainforest.

WHAT.

On the one hand I'm laughing at the conversations I could see happening 15 years ago, then it's suddenly confirmed it's actually being released for the west. I'm curious about the differences from fan translations, who did this and the fact there's in game turn saves and speed up features. Even better it's got a limited edition.

They're actually doing it the mad lads. Will it be on NSO? And also, where are the SNES titles you cowards?

I'm just laughing at the whole thing, right out of nowhere.

Edit 2: RIP DD, long live SDatBoL

Edited by Dayni

Personally I've got enough spending to do in December for Christmas so I probably won't be picking this one up for a while, but it is exciting that Nintendo and IS are making this piece of gaming history more accessible to the west.

This shall forever be the day remembered as "that one time I was first to a Fire Emblem announcement." :Wrys:

Cool! i guess since pandemic still going on, rather than making an orchestra every 5 year like usual, they make this instead with the money. so people can still be reminded about Fire emblem. Seems like a decent port at a glance.

Also that Trailer suspiciously also mention/showing Roy being in smash and popular through it... Now i wonder where is our proper port for that since marth got it 🤔

This is nice. I have a special place in my heart for Marth's games and that speical edition looks nice too, I hope we get it for Europe cause I don't wanna have to import lol

this news dropping literally when i first logged in since like 4 years ago must be some sort of sign

how random and delightful now remake FE6 you cowards

I have to say, I was confused when the announcement was like, "For the first time, the original game is finally being localized". I was thinking, "Am I on crazy pills?! Didn't we already get a localization on the DS?! Is Nintendo starting to forget that the DS was a thing?!"

Before anyone asks, yes, I know Shadow Dragon was a remake, but with how deliberately retro it was, it was basically a localization with some added conveniences. 

Personally, I would've preferred a Switch port of the remake and/or a localization of the sequel's remake, but this still looks neat. I won't get it though because 1) I have no time to play it, and 2) I still have Shadow Dragon. 

Edited by vanguard333

I'm gonna get this for 2 reasons:

1. Playing FE1 with a good translation is gonna be really fun, and FE1 is pretty jank from what I've seen, so I'll probably enjoy it

2. If this sells well, who knows, maybe Ninty will be inspired to do this with more of the JPFE.

Got to say that this is hard for me to get excited about. While there are a few exceptions, most NES games really don't hold up all that well, and nothing that I've heard about FE:SDatBoL particularly makes me believe this is an exception. Maybe I'd be more excited if the DS remake wasn't a thing and I hadn't already played that, but it is and I have. "Now you get to play the version with NES graphics and 1990's idea of game balance" isn't a draw. I mean, I'm happy for the people who are going to be into this, but it does nothing for me personally.

11 minutes ago, PeaceRibbon said:

Personally I've got enough spending to do in December for Christmas so I probably won't be picking this one up for a while, but it is exciting that Nintendo and IS are making this piece of gaming history more accessible to the west.

It's limited-time you cheapskate!

I love you Nintendo, but screw you for limited-time digital. Bad practice stop now!

DANGIT NOOO TWO DAYS OFF I SAID IT'D BE ANNOUNCED ON THE 24TH! Wait, no, that was next new FE...I still have a chance...

Anyways, nice, I guess.  I'm not sure many people will get it, though. FE1 is pretty rudimentary. I might get it, we'll see.

Cool I will be getting this and I will probably get the collectors edition.  This is why I always save up money just for video games.  If this sells well I hope they do this with Binding Blade.  I was thinking about replaying Shadow Dragon and now I will just wait for this.

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Haven't played any of Marth's games so I'm kinda excited to get this. (though I am full aware of how simplistic Shadow Dragon is.)

If you have a DS or a 3DS, you may as well just find a used copy of Shadow Dragon. I found one for $20, though that was several years ago, I have no idea how much a copy of it sells for now, and even the people working at the store were surprised that they had a copy of it. 

Then again, this game is only $6, so never mind. 

10 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Got to say that this is hard for me to get excited about. Maybe I'd be more excited if the DS remake wasn't a thing and I hadn't already played that, but it is and I have. "Now you get to play the version with NES graphics and 1990's idea of game balance" isn't a draw. I mean, I'm happy for the people who are going to be into this, but it does nothing for me personally.

Same. It's hard for me to be excited about this when there was already a remake of this game back in 2009 that brought it to the west. Personally, I would've been more excited for a localization of New Mystery of the Emblem (the remake of the third game).

Edited by vanguard333

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's limited-time you cheapskate!

I'm not flaking on that card game I promised to a certain Homs. (ง'̀-'́)ง

I do agree the limited time thing is pretty awful. Maybe I'll ask mom for an eshop card or something.

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

If you have a DS or a 3DS, you may as well just find a used copy of Shadow Dragon. I found one for $20, though that was several years ago, I have no idea how much a copy of it sells for now, and even the people working at the store were surprised that they had a copy of it. 

I'm the kinda weirdo who is both interested in the originals and remakes of a game, even if the remake is regarded as better in every way. (Such as Resident Evil 1 Remake.) I already intended on playing both at some point anyway.

Edited by Samz707

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

6 dollar for just the game or those complete package? but i wouldnt mind Nintendo/IS being this random, so hopefully next FE info is near