Western Release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light Announced

PeaceRibbon

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I have to say, I was confused when the announcement was like, "For the first time, the original game is finally being localized". I was thinking, "Am I on crazy pills?! Didn't we already get a localization on the DS?! Is Nintendo starting to forget that the DS was a thing?!"

Before anyone asks, yes, I know Shadow Dragon was a remake, but with how deliberately retro it was, it was basically a localization with some added conveniences. 

Personally, I would've preferred a Switch port of the remake and/or a localization of the sequel's remake, but this still looks neat. I won't get it though because 1) I have no time to play it, and 2) I still have Shadow Dragon. 

Basically this for me, too, yeah. It's cool for those who are really into that era and/or haven't played Shadow Dragon, but it seems kind of...weird. I would've rather had a remake of FE6, FE4+5 combo pack... Why not? Let's make that FE6 remaster into a FE6+7 combo pack. Also, yes, I wish they'd localize FE12 already.

4 minutes ago, joevar said:

6 dollar for just the game or those complete package? but i wouldnt mind Nintendo/IS being this random, so hopefully next FE info is near

I don't know; I haven't checked the website because I'm not really interested in getting this game. All I know is that I saw "$6". 

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Shadow Dragon is a poor remake that only wins out because it's not tied down to an archaic NES interface.

How is it a poor remake? It was basically the original game but with some added gameplay features and some updated (but still deliberately retro) graphics. It was basically what Pokémon Fire Red was to Pokémon Red, and I can actually respect that, as much as I normally prefer when a remake tries more to be what the original game would've been if made with today's tech. 

2 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Basically this for me, too, yeah. It's cool for those who are really into that era and/or haven't played Shadow Dragon, but it seems kind of...weird. I would've rather had a remake of FE6, FE4+5 combo pack... Why not? Let's make that FE6 remaster into a FE6+7 combo pack. Also, yes, I wish they'd localize FE12 already.

Those definitely would've been more interesting to me, though I think perhaps an anniversary bundle of all the Japan-only games would also have been interesting. 

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I feel this should be released early this year, in April... but not complaining here. Better later than never.

It probably was supposed to be but perhaps the pandemic got in the way 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't know; I haven't checked the website because I'm not really interested in getting this game. All I know is that I saw "$6".

just checked the site, to my surprise its an actual page like a new game, i can only see the $5.99, seems we are paying for the goodies rather than the actual game.

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Shadow Dragon is a poor remake that only wins out because it's not tied down to an archaic NES interface.

I still like the portrait style of SD/NM a lot. That semi-realistic art style looks really good on Fire Emblem and I wish they'd stuck with it.

The battle sprites, on the other hand, were pretty damn bland.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

How is it a poor remake? It was basically the original game but with some added gameplay features and some updated (but still deliberately retro) graphics. It was basically what Pokémon Fire Red was to Pokémon Red, and I can actually respect that, as much as I normally prefer when a remake tries more to be what the original game would've been if made with today's tech. 

Because they threw in random stuff without considering how it affects everything else about the game.
The weapon triangle being the biggest one. After the initial wave of bandit chapters, enemies almost exclusively use lances.
Not to mention cool details they didn't keep, like Marth having different animations for using a Rapier or Swords, as well as being shown carrying the Fire Emblem once he receives it.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The battle sprites, on the other hand, were pretty damn bland.

they went backward with the "soft" color sprite imo. the animation too.

Just now, BrightBow said:

Because they threw in random stuff without considering how it affects everything else about the game.
The weapon triangle being the biggest one. After the initial wave of bandit chapters, enemies almost exclusively use lances.
Not to mention details they didn't keep, like Marth having different animations for using a Rapier or Swords, as well as being shown carrying the Fire Emblem once he receives it.

oh, that weapon triangle one sounds like a BIG oversight.

Also I'm calling it now, we're going to have an influx of posts on various FE communities of people being surprised casual mode isn't in the game. 

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Those definitely would've been more interesting to me, though I think perhaps an anniversary bundle of all the Japan-only games would also have been interesting. 

Not a bad idea, though GBA did happen a while ago and games from then are much less accessible to new players. If we're rolling them all into one (which I don't think is a particularly great move since you could just remaster several instead in Echoes forms for the Switch) then I think it should be FE4-10. It lets new players get into it that way. But really, my ideal is still a remaster (not just a remake) which tells both the story of FE6 and the story of FE7. Likewise with FE4+FE5. Might be a bit early for FE9+10 though.

Edit: Oh man imagine if they told FE7 before FE6 and had a sort of inheritance system like in FE4/Awakening/Fates.

Spoiler

Like Fir inheriting stats/growths and such from FE7!Bartre, and who Eliwood married affecting your Roy's stats/items/whatever in the FE6 part of the game?

Edited by Mercakete

4 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Also I'm calling it now, we're going to have an influx of posts on various FE communities of people being surprised casual mode isn't in the game. 

with those save and rewind, i say its casual enough. at least you arent forced to soft reset the game everytime for to save evryone. its time for those peasant to feels the classic mode

Edited by joevar

This feels like such a random game to (re?)release. We already have an NES service, I don’t understand why it couldn’t be on there, I don’t understand why this has to be limited time, and I don’t understand why they chose this  one other than the other Archanea games other than for legacy but if it’s for legacy why isn’t on the service?

Should have included FE11 or at least 3, honestly why not do an Archanea collection and include 1, 3, 11, and 12 and sell it for idk $50? The timed release is bull, but I'll buy it so they know there are people interested in the JP games.

Exciting, but definitely would have preferred a standard release, although FE1 is a pretty lengthy game I would have liked the inclusion of the first three games, even just FE1 and FE3 would have been fine. Most likely gonna pick this one up but that "limited release" thing Nintendo is doing with this game, which they also did with Mario 3D All Stars, is pretty annoying. 

Hmmm, looks like I know what to do over December.

Anyway, I have been re-reading the first few entries in Alastors topic playing all of FE and what he writes about FE1 has me slightly worried. No enemy range, no combat forecast, no in-game stats on weaponry? Yikes.

Of course, this is just a trailer, though from what little the trailer shows it seems like they didn´t add that (as far as I saw). Oh well, it will only be a matter of getting used to it.

Hard pass on this one for me. There are some NES games that have aged well, but this is NOT one of them. Aside from that, I can't be excited over this when the remake came over a decade ago (and anyone who knows me even remotely well knows I'm not a fan of said remake).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Yeah my only problem is this is only FE 1, but I am still going to buy it.  Can someone @ me when the limited edition is up for sale?  This has to be a test the waters to see if people would actually buy things like this and I have to buy it to support the idea of them doing this with the other Japan only games.  IMO this would be the best way to do Binding Blade, so I really hope this doesn't flop.

This isn’t the generation of fire emblem I was introduced to, which is why I want it, but I feel like they could’ve localized Genealogy Of The Holy War instead. (I would’ve included Thracia 776 but isn’t Leif a playable second gen character in Holy War and the main lord in 776?)

This...is not something I was expecting. Just wow. And it's such a strange choice when the remake was already localized and there are other games in the series that aren't. I can't imagine many people are going to buy it, but I hope it leads to other localizations.

I'll buy the game digitally at least, but don't think I'll get the Anniversary Edition.