Western Release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light Announced

PeaceRibbon

I've already played the thing and have no desire to ever play it again, especially not when the weapon stats won't be conveniently off to the side of the screen in a text file while I'm playing...

...But fuck it, I'll buy it anyway. I played the original for free, so it's only fair.

Edited by Alastor15243

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

If I've played Shadow Dragon and found it enjoyable (but not to the point that I'll replay it multiple times), is it worth it to buy this game to play it again?

Probably not, since Shadow Dragon was basically this game + added gameplay features and bonus chapters. 

1 minute ago, zuibangde said:

I've played FE11 but am debating if I should also get FE1 now that it's localized. From what I've gathered online, it seems that FE1 did not age well at all though....

Horribly. I would not recommend playing the thing out of anything but intellectual curiosity. FE11 is so much better.

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...But f*** it, I'll buy it anyway. I played the original for free, so it's only fair.

I admire your integrity. This is not something I think most people would do, especially for a game that was so frustrating. At least this version has SOME new convenience options built in, even if it doesn't fix the many issues you found with the original.

Prepare yourselves 3DS era converts, no more pair-ups, battalions, or casual modes for you! It's time for the return of the brutal and unforgiving world of Japanese Fire Emblem! MUHAHAHAHA!!! All jokes aside, this rerelease comes as a pleasant surprise and at only 6 bucks I'll defiantly be picking this one up. I've developed a fondness for older video games as of late so a game like FE1 would be an excellent addition to my collection. Can't wait to have my butt handed to me on an 8-bit silver platter and love it anyway!

2 hours ago, PeaceRibbon said:

I'm not flaking on that card game I promised to a certain Homs. (ง'̀-'́)ง

Are you trying to expose us as roommates?

28 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Prepare yourselves 3DS era converts, no more pair-ups, battalions, or casual modes for you! It's time for the return of the brutal and unforgiving world of Japanese Fire Emblem! MUHAHAHAHA!!! All jokes aside, this rerelease comes as a pleasant surprise and at only 6 bucks I'll defiantly be picking this one up. I've developed a fondness for older video games as of late so a game like FE1 would be an excellent addition to my collection. Can't wait to have my butt handed to me on an 8-bit silver platter and love it anyway!

Are you trying to expose us as roommates?

Jokes on you, you didn't say anything about forging!

Time to Forge and reclass through FE1!

so uhm... i surely did not expect this, but i can't deny that a part of me is kinda happy (although no italian localization nor limited edition, you can bet your ass i ain't buying this, Nintendo)

but i honestly have a problem with this, and it's "who is this for?"
i mean, those who wanted to play shadow dragon probably already did it either through its remake or "other means", and i honestly doubt that those who got interested in FE thanks to 3H would like to play a 30-damn-year old game which is, looks and plays completely different from the likely only FE game these people have played

so again, who is this for?

Edited by Yexin

1 minute ago, Yexin said:

so uhm... i surely did not expect this, but i can't deny that a part of me is kinda happy (although no italian localization nor limited edition, you can bet your ass i ain't buying this, Nintendo)

but i honestly have a problem with this, and it's "who is this for?"
i mean, those who wanted to play shadow dragon probably already did it either through its remake or "other means", and i honestly doubt that those who got interested in FE thanks to 3H would like to play a 30-damn-year old game which is, looks and plays completely different from the likely only FE game these people have played

so again, who is this for?

I guess people like me who want to play Shadow Dragon but never got around to it.

Also arguably in need of more games for their switch.

Ooh, interesting. I'm a weirdo that only likes games older than 2005 so will be snapping this up just for the Experience(tm) and the legit pixel graphics.  Was hella dissapointed by FE11's graphics and feel, while vastly preferring Thracia's look so maybe it'll work out.

Feels like IS is on a 'keep FE relevant!' PR spin...

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

...But fuck it, I'll buy it anyway. I played the original for free, so it's only fair.

There's one of us, as someone who didn't last three chapters, I know I couldn't convince myself. Kudos regardless.

Here's hoping we hear more news anyways, I'll let the curious have their spin at it legit.

An odd choice, but this sounds fun. I'll get it digitally, and I hope they continue doing the same thing with the others. Particularly FE4/5/6, but I'd love to get FE7/8/9 on Switch as well. 

Original FE1 is actually the only main series FE game I haven't played before. It sounds like a hassle, but the new features will help, and I enjoyed the bit I played of original FE2.

58 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I guess people like me who want to play Shadow Dragon but never got around to it.

Also arguably in need of more games for their switch.

eeeeeh, i personally don't think there are THAT many people in that situation; if those people still haven't played SD, that's probably because they don't really feel like, or aren't interested enough to do so

of course, if i'm wrong, then good for them for being able to legally play this game in english, buuuut... i don't know, i still have my doubts

For years I feel like I've been the only person clamoring for localized releases of these games directly onto Nintendo consoles. So you're welcome. I want to adopt those ten year olds who are like "you don't know Fire Emblem???"

Despite japanese players already getting this game as part of their Switch Online, Six dollars is perfectly reasonable given the enhanced features. Enemy phase in FE1 is very lengthy, even with animations turned off (yes the original fire emblem had an animations off switch. What was your excuse, Path of Radiance?). In FE1 you actually see the enemy cursor moving to and fro, rather than just having enemies move of their own accord. It's like playing Fire Emblem against somebody with realistic pauses between actions.

Limited time availability makes me want to cry. I understand them doing that for Mario 64 since they're probably planning to have that as part of an N64 online app in the future. But I can't think of any excuse regarding this game. Maybe it'll appear, localized on the NES app without the bonus features in April? This is the best version of Shadow Dragon they ever released, I want people to play it.

5 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Oh neat!

I confess I would prefer to have it on NES Online... but I am still happy the game is coming. I will probably get it.

The trailer did showed a lot more stuff that wasn't on the NES Online like changing the speed in this game and changing the display for example, it still has save states available and rewind turn.

I'm still kind of wondered if Nintendo might have plans for localizing the other past Fire Emblem titles that were Japan only and do the other games like Lucas's game, EarthBound 3 that the EarthBound fans that begged for the years as well?

Edited by King Marth 64

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mega Man and Super Mario Bros. have aged liked cheese

Surely the phrase is "aged like wine", as cheese goes all hard and stinky?

Anyway, I'm not paying money for an inferior version of a game I utterly despise.

other games like Lucas's game, EarthBound 3 that the EarthBound fans that begged for the years as well?

I am one hundred percent sure that Mother 3 is not going to be localised, simply because of how problematic the Magypsies are.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

It's so frustrating that I have to support a predatory business practice just to make good on a 10+ year old promise that I would buy the original games if they were ever localized and released on modern hardware. Oh well. Six dollars is my admission to hell. It'll be worth it when my Marth solos the game, finally.