Western Release of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light Announced

PeaceRibbon

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Despite japanese players already getting this game as part of their Switch Online, Six dollars is perfectly reasonable given the enhanced features. Enemy phase in FE1 is very lengthy, even with animations turned off (yes the original fire emblem had an animations off switch. What was your excuse, Path of Radiance?). In FE1 you actually see the enemy cursor moving to and fro, rather than just having enemies move of their own accord. It's like playing Fire Emblem against somebody with realistic pauses between actions.

Wait; Path of Radiance didn't have that? Huh; here I thought I knew my favourite FE game almost inside-and-out at this point. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Wait; Path of Radiance didn't have that? Huh; here I thought I knew my favourite FE game almost inside-and-out at this point. 

Path of Radiance's setting just turned off battle scenes, but animations still played with the map models. They fixed it in Radiant Dawn where the animations are truly off, rather than abbreviated.

18 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Path of Radiance's setting just turned off battle scenes, but animations still played with the map models. They fixed it in Radiant Dawn where the animations are truly off, rather than abbreviated.

I see. Thanks. I suspect that the reason I didn't know that is simply that I never wanted to turn off the battle scenes (I almost never want to turn off the animations when playing an FE game). 

Oh yeah, speaking of which, I do remembered that Aimee was accidently renamed Larabel in the North American version of Shadow Dragon and I know that Aimee's first appearance was in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light before she was came back in the Tellius series. I'm kind of wondered if Nintendo managed looked over at the localize mistake of Aimee's part from Shadow Dragon during at making of translation of the scripts for Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light?

Edited by King Marth 64

6 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Oh yeah, speaking of which, I do remembered that Aimee was accidently renamed Larabel in the North American version of Shadow Dragon and I know that Aimee's first appearance was in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light before she was came back in the Tellius series. I'm kind of wondered if Nintendo managed looked over at the localize mistake of Aimee's part from Shadow Dragon during at making of translation of the scripts for Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light?

Considering Larabel is her name in Japan, I would think keeping it Larabel for Shadow Dragon rather than change it to maintain the consistency of the localization choice in the Tellius games was more to try to dissociate the two since it could cause confusion. I guess they figured with Anna it was enough. Though who knows. Maybe they did made a mistake and didn't catch it was meant to be the same Larabel. Or the Tellius one was a reference and made the conscious choice to not follow suit.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

The mad men. They finally paid someone twenty bucks to translate fifteen lines of text!

Whar are the chances there going to charge as much as Three Houses for this?...Still not like I'm not going to buy it.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The mad men. They finally paid someone twenty bucks to translate fifteen lines of text!

Whar are the chances there going to charge as much as Three Houses for this?...Still not like I'm not going to buy it.

Apparently it's only 6 bucks.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

$6 for the digital only, $50 for the special edition (including an art book, world map, pantsless Marth body pillowcase...). I'm planning to get the digital one, even if it turns out to be "Shadow Dragon, but less good". FE1 is now playable in English, this is fookin' historic.

4 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

All I'm going to say to the people who want to get it, but have never played the original FE1.....keep your expectations LOW. 

Eh that's honestly part of the reason I want it?

I dislike the sheer volume of stuff Three Houses pours into it. (I swear navigating the status screens of characters is the first time I've wished I could plug a mouse into a console with the amount of stuff present and the time it takes to scroll through it.) and I've kinda always enjoyed the more basic FE games. (Such as FE7 and to an extent Echoes, since Echoes drastically simplifies the actual pre-battle preperation.)

And I'd rather have simple characters that are inoffensive than...certain characters in more character-focused games that are really, really bad.

Edited by Samz707

8 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

$6 for the digital only, $50 for the special edition (including an art book, world map, pantsless Marth body pillowcase...). I'm planning to get the digital one, even if it turns out to be "Shadow Dragon, but less good". FE1 is now playable in English, this is fookin' historic.

Wait is there seriously a $50 special edition? Because I was just joking. I wouldn't put it past them with their modern business practices though. By all rights they should just be giving us this for free on the NES library (though not for free because I pay for that shit with an online subscription). Though, I guess when it comes to FE1 spending six dollars for a fast forward feature is something I don't have too many qualms about.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Wait is there seriously a $50 special edition? Because I was just joking. I wouldn't put it past them with their modern business practices though. By all rights they should just be giving us this for free on the NES library (though not for free because I pay for that shit with an online subscription). Though, I guess when it comes to FE1 spending six dollars for a fast forward feature is something I don't have too many qualms about.

I'm okay with paying for it, due to the quality-of-life stuff, and that they had to translate it (or at least transcribe the text from Shadow Dragon). And yeah, there is a special edition. It comes with a lot more swag.

3 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm okay with paying for it, due to the quality-of-life stuff, and that they had to translate it (or at least transcribe the text from Shadow Dragon). And yeah, there is a special edition. It comes with a lot more swag.

Artbook looks nice, but I think I'll stick to digital. No Marth body pillow.

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Artbook looks nice, but I think I'll stick to digital. No Marth body pillow.

But what if the artbook contains a QR code for the ideal image for a Marth body pillow that you then send to the nearest custom t-shirt maker, who then makes a body pillow cover for you so you can have Marth replace what has up to this point been Arion with a carefully placed Gungnir?

More seriously, what could be in the artbook? 222 pages is a lot. How much of it is modern Archanean art, how much of it is the much more mediocre old Archanea stuff? If it's too much of the old, I'd think it a little bit of a scam from a visual appeal perspective (but not a historical one).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But what if the artbook contains a QR code for the ideal image for a Marth body pillow that you then send to the nearest custom t-shirt maker, who then makes a body pillow cover for you so you can have Marth replace what has up to this point been Arion with a carefully placed Gungnir?

More seriously, what could be in the artbook? 222 pages is a lot. How much of it is modern Archanean art, how much of it is the much more mediocre old Archanea stuff? If it's too much of the old, I'd think it a little bit of a scam from a visual appeal perspective (but not a historical one).

I'd say it's a collection of all the official art they have knocking about for the games. So probably a little bit of original NES art, a fair bit of SNES stuff, quite a bit of Shadow Dragon, but maybe mostly Treasure and Cipher art pieces. Though that's me just hazarding a complete guess.

The thing I'm most excited about is seeing what the localisation is like. I probably won't be getting it though because of how archaic it is, but hopefully it means FE2 onwards are coming (I would honestly buy Gaiden).

1 hour ago, Stones said:

The thing I'm most excited about is seeing what the localisation is like. I probably won't be getting it though because of how archaic it is, but hopefully it means FE2 onwards are coming (I would honestly buy Gaiden).

Gaiden is a far better game in my humble experience.

Woah...this came out of nowhere.

I get why this is a separate release. Simply because it never came to the west and it being limited would anger members who are in the NSO service. What I don't get is why would they bother releasing the old one instead of doing an Echoes version of it knowing that can lead to more sales?

Either way, I'll get it because I'm morally supporting the devs behind it.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

18 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Prepare yourselves 3DS era converts, no more pair-ups, battalions, or casual modes for you! It's time for the return of the brutal and unforgiving world of Japanese Fire Emblem! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

wish they somehow also include the original Commercial Ads. You know, the opera-like singing the Main FE theme (with lyric!) for the memes

because nothing encapsulate the original/classic gameplay than the Main theme lyric (not the FEH one, but the old, cheesy, and "so bad its good" one lyric)

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Woah...this came out of nowhere.

I get why this is a separate release. Simply because it never came to the west and it being limited would anger members who are in the NSO service. What I don't get is why would they bother releasing the old one instead of doing an Echoes version of it knowing that can lead to more sales?

Either way, I'll get it because I'm morally supporting the devs behind it.

They did an Echoes version. It was called Shadow Dragon. It sold pretty eh...ly. This is a much cheaper alternative than a full remake would be. It would have cost them basically nothing to translate so little dialogue and implement a save state and fast forward feature.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

They did an Echoes version. It was called Shadow Dragon. It sold pretty eh...ly. This is a much cheaper alternative than a full remake would be. It would have cost them basically nothing to translate so little dialogue and implement a save state and fast forward feature.

Of course it would cost them nothing; they already have the remake's script that's basically just a translation (since it didn't really add much unlike SoV). I wouldn't be surprised if every text in the localization is the exact same as its equivalent in the remake. 

20 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Not 3DS era

I think a lot of 3DS era converts have also played Three Houses. The joke was more about riffing on obnoxious old school FE elitists, than teasing newer fans for enjoying the quality of life features introduced into recent games.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

An official translation for FE1 and the added features to it sounds nice. Would have preferred a translation for Mystery of the Emblem instead but it makes since to do the first game for the anniversary. As much as I like the Archanea games I'm not sure if I will buy this since the Switch is pretty much dead to me and I can play the DS versions of the Archanea games anytime I want on emulators. It being out for a limited time only also seems like a strange choice to me.