Alright guys time for the age old question: will today's Nintendo Power announcement lead to localisations for any other Japan Only Fire Emblem games?

Lantairu

I would say maybe we would get a Mystery of the Emblem release, but honestly how much hope can we have in Nintendo? I'm still holding out hope for a full fledged Jugdral saga enhancement/remake.

The trailer showed Roy who was basically in the same situation as Marth at the time, I was honestly kind of surprised FE1 was the only game announced considering that.  I guess I could see FE3-6 happening at some point.

Alright, as it stands it's debatable. SDatBoL was one thing because it was the first and it being 30 years old, but of the others:

Gaiden I'd bet's a hell no, partly because of SoV's recency and partly because it has some even more esoteric stuff that could wreck new player's heads.

MotE is a definite consideration. It's been released onto Japan's Switch Online, NMotE was never localised, it's also a title with Marth and so has the smash association. It's also considered the premiere old title as the best selling in Japan before the 3DS.

Genealogy and Thracia are where we come to the maybe. After all, while it could be considered bad marketing to release them if you're considering remaking both titles (which is still possible), I think releasing them in advance of announced remakes could serve as palette cleansers for remakes that aren't necessarily faithful, while acting as a bone to fans who've wanted to see these titles get official recognition. Course, if they don't bother with remakes this chance rises much higher imo, giving them some way to recoup money off those who are interested in these games (I know I'd be a possible customer). Genealogy would be first regardless.

The DS, GBA and Tellius are not part of your discussion, but I think it's moot until we see those consoles being given titles on the Switch.

I do not think so and I do not even want it. The limited time release that does not even have a european version is just bad and they obviously do not care enough to actually be accurate. It is straight up easier to know who marth is for westeners than to know who Roy is, yet the meleeclip implies the opposite.

3 minutes ago, German FE Nino said:

I do not think so and I do not even want it. The limited time release that does not even have a european version is just bad and they obviously do not care enough to actually be accurate. It is straight up easier to know who marth is for westeners than to know who Roy is, yet the meleeclip implies the opposite.

Good news then, I can confirm I can preorder it, so it has at least a partial European release. I'm curious about the rest of Europe though.

As for the Melee clip, I think that was for 2001 when not even BS was out.

Edited by Dayni

I do think they should do an official translation for Gaiden next (but I think the problem with that we kind of already had with Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for the Nintendo 3DS while ago and it did sold well outside of Japan as well) or maybe The Binding Blade (if they want to impress for the Roy fans) or The Mystery of the Emblem.

On the one hand, they released Mother 1 and Star Fox 2 in similar fashions, so this situation isn't that unique. On the other hand, we've known from developer interviews that Mother 1 and Star Fox 2 had full localizations before Nintendo cancelled their releases, and we don't know if FE1 was in that same situation. On the other other hand, they can use FE11 as a baseline for an english translation so in that regard FE1 has been localized for years...? On the other other other hand, this may just be a one-off thing for the anniversary. If this was happening on a non-anniversary year then I think that would make it easier to anticipate more titles.

If they do proceed (and dear god do I want them to do all the Kaga games this exact way), I'm hoping they won't be limited time releases. Nintendo has been spitting in the face of games preservationists the last five years and at this point it seems they'll do anything shady for an extra buck.

Edited by Glennstavos

I really hope this does lead to more releases like this, but if this sells badly it could cause them to stop.  There are several games I want to see done this way the highest on the list would be Mother 3 and FE 4, so of course I am buying this one.  I just hope this doesn't flop so that FE 4, 5 and 6 can have this happen to them as well.   

I'm personally hoping for a localization of the Mystery of the Emblem remake, but I think it's rather unlikely given that they chose to release FE1 rather than its remake. 

Considering that the original Mystery of the Emblem had Shadow Dragon (by that I mean FE1) inside it, I don't really see a reason why they would've re-released FE1 if they were going to also re-release FE3. …Oh, wait; I do see one reason: 🤑🤑🤑

Edited by vanguard333

I doubt they'll do more. If they were intending a series of these, it would be especially weird for them to do the limited time only thing. That they are doing that makes it seem that this is a one-off that they're doing for the anniversary only. Maybe they'd change their mind if this ends up being particularly successful for them, but I don't think it will be. I don't see there being all that much appetite for this.

Since Roy wins the fight and makes Marth second, might mean that Roy will get a full remake first. Yes, this is me doing very wishful thinking....

Actually disappointed with "just" a localisation and nothing more. No interest for me.

Honestly, I hope they just keep localizing the old games, since it seems good for people working from home rather than developing from scratch. At least I think?
Also, I love the special edition's art pieces and art books, and I really don't want to drop 200+ USD to get an unplayable Thracia 776 into my collection :'0

I'd be happy with any of them being localized or remade, but I really do think they might push for Roy since he seems more popular with the general western audiences. If Nintendo even gives us an inch after this 

choosing FE3 or FE12 for next localization seems more likely than FE4 to me. mainly because if they have plans to remake FE4 at one point, its better to do just that than releasing the original version first

why? because if they have plans for FE4 remake at one point, i doubt they will remake it as faithful as SoV, since thats the thing most people complain about. so remaking something with different approach will just invite people to compare which of the two is superior and possibly hurt the review and thus possibly hurt the possible sales too.

but thats just my complicated thinking, i would be glad to be proven wrong

Edited by joevar

I'd hope we'd get more localization for FE 3-6, but I'm unsure. If the localized FE 1 doesn't sell well, it'll sour Nintendo's attitude about it. At the same time, though, they HAVE to realize that the limited time thing will have an effect. They can't be that dumb...can they? I hope they at least give us FE 4 and 6. Those two would be great.

I don't think so. If they had plans for other games then Nintendo would have included the sequel since it would count as a Marth game. However, I'm starting to believe old remake rumors due to the Lyn figure getting announced recently. 

The only ones I could see being likely are FE3, considering how that’s the only other one on NSO and was one of the better selling/well known entries in Japan, and FE6, due to the west’s long-held curiosity about Roy since his Melee appearance and FE7’s ending, assuming they hadn’t played a fanslation. I don’t think FE2 is off the table just because of FE15, namely because the 3DS just ended it’s life cycle recently, but I think it’s less likely. FE4, however, feels like they’re building up for a remake similar to how they kept referencing Gaiden a ton or calling back to some of its features before remaking it. FE5 wouldn’t get ported or remade before FE4. FE12 would be awesome but I don’t think that one is entirely likely before FE3

I'm guessing no, because Nintendo has lately been kinda dogshit about making old games available, let alone going back to localize ones from systems past. This is the first time they've ever done it, unless there's a headline or two I've missed. I'm fully expecting for this to be a one-time thing, although I'd absolutely LOVE to be wrong.

Now if this game sells well enough for them to WANT to go back and do the other ones, the obvious game to translate is Binding Blade, because Roy's in Smash, and that means FE6 would likely sell better than FE2 for example. If not Roy's game, then they'll probably just go in order. Maybe each time one of the OG 6 hits their 30th anniversary they get a translation? Who knows. I'd love to play the SNES games on the Switch eventually. 

This announcement also brings hope to that OTHER Japanese game people really want translated. The one on the GBA that people asked Reggie about so often it probably haunts his nightmares. You know the one!

Edited by Alertcircuit