tranzfattyazidz

Although this is likely very complicated and above my mortal abilities, I’d like to add a pseudo-Avatar unit with gender selection. The idea is to have a menu pop up after creating a new save file that looks like the split promotion menu, but has options between Male and Female. This would also rely on the ability to change portraits based on this decision, and supports as well. Is this possible with a preexisting function of an editor? Is it possible through event editing? Thanks to any helpers out there.

Well, it seemed to be a programmed function in this remake project: 

Granted, that project shut down, but it at least seems like an avatar function may be possible.  At the same time, Kirb is a pretty skilled hacker AFAIK, so it may not necessarily be easy to do.  But they did leave the resources available for anyone to use (though you need to have access to that Discord server, which may not be possible due to how Discord invites tend to expire after some time), so maybe you could take the source code for the avatar function and make your own hack supplemented with that feature.  I wouldn't know for sure as I'm not much of a ROM hacker.

I think if you dedicated time and effort you could manage it.  Hacking's like any worthwhile endeavor - you only will get good through applying yourself.  It's a combination of accumulated knowledge and just experience that makes for a good hacker, you just have to be willing to build that up.