Idea for my first ROM hack

That One Trec Stan

Alright, so I'm fairly new to ROM hacking, and I'm not exactly all that knowledgeable with FEBuilder, but I'm planning on starting out work on my first real project. What exactly is this project, you ask?

Trec 776.

Why Trec? Simple. He's my favorite FE character. Why? That's probably for a different discussion altogether. Anyway...

The plot:

A work in progress, but essentially I'm hoping for the plot to go along the lines of Trec and his comrades liberating Ilia from a devastating political power, known as the Marty Party, led by the maniacal king Marty. To give a vague idea of what I'm reaching for here, a basic outline would look like: Ilia is seized by the Marty Party > Trec forms alliances with neutral nations to build a stronger army > Trec's army seizes countries from the Marty Party to gain an advantage against them > Trec eventually defeats Marty and his cohorts, reclaiming Ilia and restoring peace to Elibe.

The Characters:

(Again, this is a work in progress, but these are my plans as of writing this topic)

Playable units

-Trec (takes the role of the main lord)

-Jerrot (acts as the Jagen unit for the game)

-Noah (Trec's comrade in arms, works with him from the beginning of the journey to reclaim Ilia)

-Fir (Noah's love interest, recruited by him as an enemy and will likely function as the main boss killer)

-Bartre (starts as a green unit, can be turned blue by talking to with either Fir or Noah)

-Gonzales (Trec's former comrade, recruited as an enemy by Trec)

-FE6's pegasus knights (unsure about what to do with them yet, will likely join at completely separate intervals and have different uses/utilities

Enemy Units

-Rutger, Lyn, Sue, Shin, Guy, Dayan (all enemies encountered in Sacae, which forms an alliance with the Marty Party)

-Niime (Late-game boss, conspires with Marty to take over all of Elibe using dark magic techniques)

-Karel (will likely function similarly to Galzus, turns back to his ways as the sword demon and appears in a few maps as an anti-turtling incentive, may appear as a late-game boss)

-Dagdar (Marty's right-hand man, acts as his military advisor and strongest general, instructed to lead Marty's main forces when the conflict escalates)

-Orsin, Halvan, and Tanya (Marty's other three generals, supervised by Dagdar, each appear individually in their own maps, as well as all at once in a late-game map)

And many, many more...

Again, this hack is still in the works. I'm unsure about how I'll handle the final product or if I'll have to make major changes to my ideas, but I'm really excited to get to work on this. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to ask me below. I'll likely be taking this on by myself so that I can use this as a learning experience with FEBuilder, but if the going gets tough, I won't hesitate to post on this topic again to recruit a team to work with me. I'll be getting to work on this hack in the next few days, and while I can't give a reasonable estimate as to when the project will be completed, I can say that I'll likely have it done by late 2021. Thank you all for reading this topic. Any support you give to this project is greatly appreciated.

-James

This is beautiful, a work of art.

In all seriousness, this sounds like it'll be super funny, so I am looking forwards to seeing how this project goes!

Also, is Juno gonna be playable?

Edited by Benice

Glad you like the idea!

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Also, is Juno gonna be playable?

Most likely. She’ll probably have a similar role to as she appears in FE6, although I could consider making her join earlier than Tate and effectively switch around their availabilities just for fun, as well as giving her a much needed buff to her stats to make her combat at least viable.

1 minute ago, JuMs said:

Most likely. She’ll probably have a similar role to as she appears in FE6, although I could consider making her join earlier than Tate and effectively switch around their availabilities just for fun, as well as giving her a much needed buff to her stats to make her combat at least viable.

Hm, that makes sense in terms of join time.

RE: Buffing Juno's stats, personally, I think that fliers should be fairly weak as combat units, (but not Vanilla Juno levels of useless.) Something that you could do is, (assuming you're using FE8 'cause that's the easiest one to use) could give her an exclusive skill, (Savior, maybe a good prf weapon, Capture, Windsweep, staves, etc.) and give her minor buffs to stats and some good growths. (Of course, I'm weird because I feel like the skills a unit has should be more important than the stats a unit has.)

Just now, Benice said:

Buffing Juno's stats, personally, I think that fliers should be fairly weak as combat units, (but not Vanilla Juno levels of useless.) Something that you could do is, (assuming you're using FE8 'cause that's the easiest one to use) could give her an exclusive skill, (Savior, maybe a good prf weapon, Capture, Windsweep, staves, etc.) and give her minor buffs to stats and some good growths. (Of course, I'm weird because I feel like the skills a unit has should be more important than the stats a unit has.)

Def agree here, I’m not planning to make her combat anything spectacular, and she and the other available fliers (minus wyverns, if I have any that are playable) will generally have weaker combat but focus more on utility. Also agree that skills should matter more than stats, I’m not the hugest fan of Thracia but I really appreciate things it did like low stat caps and the support system combining to make the game less stat-based. Ultimately for gameplay I’m aiming to make the game balanced around low growths and I’ll make sure there isn’t too much emphasis on stat benchmarks.

21 minutes ago, JuMs said:

Also agree that skills should matter more than stats,

You actually might like Berwick Saga, then-That one has a huge emphasis on skills over stats and is overal excellent.

24 minutes ago, JuMs said:

she and the other available fliers (minus wyverns, if I have any that are playable) will generally have weaker combat but focus more on utility.

Maybe as a comrpomise for wyvrns having overall higher stats, nerf their movement to 6 or something?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

You actually might like Berwick Saga, then-That one has a huge emphasis on skills over stats and is overal excellent.

I've tried but sadly my potato computer hates trying to emulate any games beyond the 16-bit era. Oh, well. Maybe after I get a new computer I can try it out.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Maybe as a comrpomise for wyvrns having overall higher stats, nerf their movement to 6 or something?

I'll probably take other measures to make sure certain classes aren't too broken (giving them lower availability, making their combat middle-of-the-road so that they don't dominate too heavily, making more indoor maps where unmounted units with better combat are more important, etc.). The game is probably going to be at least somewhat mount-heavy, but I'll be making the maps follow FE6's design trend of low enemy density + high enemy quality, so that having a horse isn't an automatic win. I want to make rescuing and dropping heavily encouraged, but as much as I love FE4, I don't want horse units to dominate like they do there so that the units are more balanced.

15 hours ago, JuMs said:

-Rutger, Lyn, Sue, Shin, Guy, Dayan (all enemies encountered in Sacae, which forms an alliance with the Marty Party)

Giving me 2008 vibes with an enemy Lyn unit lol. It seems like all the playable characters are from FE6? Are you gonna just import Elibe memes or some Jugdral classics?

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Any ideas for the gameplay or will it just be vanilla GBA Fire Emblem?

Map design is going to mostly encourage rescuing and dropping, and will be similar to FE6 in that the enemies will be less dense but be stronger overall to discourage soloing or making the game enemy phase heavy. The game is going to be a hack of FE8, so I’ll probably be using the skills patch as well to make things more interesting and give units more variety.

2 hours ago, OriginalRaisins said:

Giving me 2008 vibes with an enemy Lyn unit lol. It seems like all the playable characters are from FE6? Are you gonna just import Elibe memes or some Jugdral classics?

Honestly it’s just because I hate Lyn lol

Yeah, most playable units are going to be from FE6. I’ll probably also have some from other games such as Ralph, but most will be from FE6, maybe FE7, just to keep most of the characters linked to Ilia in some way.

Honestly I’m not really aiming to fill the story with memes, because I feel the hack itself is really the meme that I’m intending to create. I’m trying to be original with this first project and not use any overused jokes or concepts, so the story itself will be the only real meme, aside from maybe a few general FE memes.