So has Kaga ever gave his opinion on any of the FE games after he left?

Samz707

both Kaga and Nintendo just pretend both side didnt exist and just avoid talking about it from what i gather.

maybe its just me, but seems like both side are equally guilty, so they rather wrap it up and mind their own stuff after whatever the court decide. so doubt kaga will comment anything about FE

Edited by joevar

2 hours ago, joevar said:

both Kaga and Nintendo just pretend both side didnt exist and just avoid talking about it from what i gather.

maybe its just me, but seems like both side are equally guilty, so they rather wrap it up and mind their own stuff after whatever the court decide. so doubt kaga will comment anything about FE

This makes me wonder something. They had editted the credits in the Virtual Console re-releases and in the Switch version of FE 1 to remove his name?

It would be extremely awkward because he is the Main gameplay designer, the scenario writer and the director of all these games (well, he wasn't the director in FE1, but anyway, my point is clear xD)

I mean, for the games themselves?  If he's not expressing opinions, he may not have any.  Or he finds them fun, or maybe he thinks they're the worst.  At the end of the day, and as much as we may have loved the games he worked on, he's still just some guy none of us know all that well, and we shouldn't put too much stock in his opinion.

I feel people want to dramatize these types of schisms/conflicts too much.  I mean, if he really wanted to beat Fire Emblem with his own IPs, he'd be screaming from the rooftops about how FE sucks and his game was much better (well, except probably with more class than that) to drum up this huge rivalry that would generate more sales.  He's content to just quietly make indie games, so I can only assume he doesn't think too strongly about FE - probably just wants to forget about the TRS lawsuit.

4 hours ago, joevar said:

Didn't Kaga appear at last year's FE expo though? Or i remember reading something like that anyway

Ultimately, will all due credit to Kaga's contributions, I can't say I'd care. The FE series improved greatly from 6 onwards, and any negative criticisms he would have would be meaningless when he produced something like Gaiden - a game so fundamentally flawed, in my opinion, that even a remake that substantially improved on its storytelling, mechanics, and visuals was still not a good game.

4 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

What’s an FE expo?

basically a gathering of fans but officially organized by IS (i think?). consist mainly of some concert of FE game soundtrack, selling merchandise, some little event like cosplay, artwork, and FE cipher playing maybe?

its just different term but mostly similar thing like Blizzcon, tennocon, and other conventions from respective games, except FE expo is still japan only afaik.

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I feel people want to dramatize these types of schisms/conflicts too much.  I mean, if he really wanted to beat Fire Emblem with his own IPs, he'd be screaming from the rooftops about how FE sucks and his game was much better (well, except probably with more class than that) to drum up this huge rivalry that would generate more sales.  He's content to just quietly make indie games, so I can only assume he doesn't think too strongly about FE - probably just wants to forget about the TRS lawsuit.

thats why im saying before he's a bad example of a named person behind a franchise leave the team. because i believe at that time of his departure the future of FE still looks bright compared to later when sales declining (before awakening). there must be a reason as to why Nintendo files a lawsuit against him, and some report he took material for next FE games to be used on his own IP. this is different from the likes Hironobu sakaguchi who also left when his franchise still popular but left in good terms with his former employer. (and still comment about FF from time to time)
in short, i also dont feel kaga really that relevant anymore

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Didn't Kaga appear at last year's FE expo though? Or i remember reading something like that anyway

dunno, might want to read every report of expo again.

Honestly i doubt he's even played them.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, joevar said:

basically a gathering of fans but officially organized by IS (i think?). consist mainly of some concert of FE game soundtrack, selling merchandise, some little event like cosplay, artwork, and FE cipher playing maybe?

its just different term but mostly similar thing like Blizzcon, tennocon, and other conventions from respective games, except FE expo is still japan only afaik.

thats why im saying before he's a bad example of a named person behind a franchise leave the team. because i believe at that time of his departure the future of FE still looks bright compared to later when sales declining (before awakening). there must be a reason as to why Nintendo files a lawsuit against him, and some report he took material for next FE games to be used on his own IP. this is different from the likes Hironobu sakaguchi who also left when his franchise still popular but left in good terms with his former employer. (and still comment about FF from time to time)
in short, i also dont feel kaga really that relevant anymore

dunno, might want to read every report of expo again.

Well yeah there's a reason they sued him. He blatantly plagerised their intellectual property.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well yeah there's a reason they sued him. He blatantly plagerised their intellectual property.

That's their argument. An argument Nintendo lost.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's their argument. An argument Nintendo lost.

Nintendo got 76 million yen and forced them to change at least the name out of it, so I wouldn't say it was a major loss. Regardless that is clearly the reason why they sued, it's not like it's a mysterious unknown thing.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Nintendo got 76 million yen and forced them to change at least the name out of it, so I wouldn't say it was a major loss. Regardless that is clearly the reason why they sued, it's not like it's a mysterious unknown thing.

That was the second lawsuit. After they lost the first, they filed a second and won that one. The name change happened long before that. They also tried to sue Kaga a third time, over Berwick, but the lawsuit was denied.

It's true Kaga did at first tried to just make it "FE with serial numbers filed off", but it got changed during development, before the lawsuits. And it's not like Nintendo wasn't entirely suing with some shady intentions.

Either way, the lawsuit helped set a precedent that allowed other creators to make works similar to their own after leaving their companies but unable to retain their rights to use them, so Kaga's victory in the first lawsuit was still important. Despite losing the second lawsuit.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

kaga is unique precedence that he paved way for similar case. unfortunately tho among those case he's not the best example. he left while wanting to make another FE similar games while still active in FE project, compared to others similar case where they are not given enough authority to make game they are comfortable with again. same situation different motivation

in regards to topic, i would still say his comment (if there is any) not relevant anymore. just count how many FE games he made and how many have been produced since he left. so many things have changed since back then

• 2 weeks later...

The man doesn't even like to make the world aware that he even exists, let alone his opinions on anything. I remember hearing a while back that he had said something about FE11 in an interview but never found a source on that so I'm gonna assume that was an assumption. I hadn't even thought about the FE1 port. Nintendo hates his guts and technically they own the software. I'm not super well versed on copyright/credits and stuff, would Nintendo have to legally credit Kaga in the FE1 port? Unless they absolutely have to, I don't see them doing so