Suitable game engine or partner studios for next FE

joevar

As we all know, IS/Nintendo decide to partner again with Koei Tecmo for 3H development, just like it was with FE Warrior. But i've seen since 3H release, theres some complaint and/or just plain problem with how they handle the art direction of the game, specifically like animated cutscene, support cutscene, maps, character models and some other related things which clearly on technical level fault not design level

Why they decide on Koei Tecmo again for 3H after warrior should be obvious.

so i've been wondering, if they stop working with Koei Tecmo, what studios you guys think IS should partner with, or what game engine that potentially can make FE better? should they go independent with in-house engine, or 3rd party engine?

maybe someone adept at developing program care to give their thought?

Edited by joevar

i'm not really into game engines so i couldn't really say what would work best for FE17, but despite this, i can definitely say FE17 in modern 2D graphics would look amazing

i'd pick static sprites over clunky, same-y, overly recycled and ugly-looking animations every day of my life

There's nothing wrong with the engine or partner they have. Three Houses isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse, but NONE of the games are. And Warriors' cel-shaded look (which is also built into the same engine) looks much more ideal for FE.

Also, while the character models/assets need work, the animations are impactful and practical.

Nothing wrong with keeping KT on board, but if I had to pick a new studio to co-develop the next FE, I would go with Bandai-Namco. They handle most (if not all) officially licensed anime (and anime-crossover) games, so I think they'd lend themselves well to the already anime-esque design of FE.

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Also, while the character models/assets need work, the animations are impactful and practical.

yes, thats something i believe their strong point.
i dont like  looking at awakening battle animation, but fates took that to entirely new cringe level. i mean.. a simple attack using bronze sword actually consist of twirling around first, then strike a pose that twist your body, then followed by a somersault attack you only see as special attack in other games and it was from simple single attack from non named sword... (you know which char im talking about)
real glad SoV uses practical movement, and 3H polish that practical more altho more variation for art really needed

I think the Breath of the Wild engine could work well. It's an in-house engine, and judging by BotW and what we've seen so far of Age of Calamity it runs well on Switch even with a lot going on on-screen. If not that, maybe Unreal Engine 4 could work but that engine typically requires a low resolution to run well, e.g. Yoshi's Crafted World.

ZlonGame has a mobile game called Langrisser that could be repurposed for Fire Emblem (I think it uses Criware). Not necessarily for the switch, but if they wanted to go a 2D route. It includes troops (which the latest Three Houses has), weapon triangles, skills, etc. It's basically a console game on mobile, unlike FEH which is a mobile game first and foremost. There's also the Langrisser I & II Remaster on Switch (although the UI could use a significant improvement) by Chara-ani/NiS which could be used for a 2D game. Square also has FF Tactics, and there's also the Mercenaries Saga by RideonJapan. Though to be quite honest I think they would stick with Koei.

Edited by IonicAmalgam