When can we expect a new Fire Emblem Game?

Ryuke

Either a remake or something new. Just curious.

I played them all. Even all 4 paths of FE3H. Now I am craving for me cause well c o v i d.

Unsure, unless you count the FE1 localization coming up in December (still can't get over that - it basically came out of nowhere).

If you go purely off of past tendencies... well, first you have to consider Three Houses released a year and three months ago.  Some may think because of the western release of Fates being a year prior to when Echoes was released worldwide that we probably would've gotten a remake by now, but those people should consider the actual first release of Fates was actually in 2015.  So if we're getting a remake of roughly the same caliber as Echoes, it'll probably release some time next year - maybe longer since C O V I D.

But in terms of a major release?  Probably will have to wait another couple years.  We may also get another spin-off instead, like a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 or something along those lines.  IS and KT do seem close, given that they also worked together to make Three Houses, so I'd be more surprised if they didn't do something with that crossover IP.  But regardless, I can't imagine an original title coming out earlier than 2022, so personally I'm holding out for a remake.

There have been some leaks, to be taken with a massive grain of salt, that IS is currently working on 2 games. But that doesn't necessarily mean 2 FE games. They also develop Warioware, which hasn't seen a Switch game yet and would undoubtedly sell gangbusters.

I suspect we will see a FE game or remake at least announced next year, if not released.

I also hope that Three Houses will get the Age of Calamity treatment. My musuo itch can't be scratched.

4 hours ago, Ryuke said:

Either a remake or something new. Just curious.

I played them all. Even all 4 paths of FE3H. Now I am craving for me cause well c o v i d.

first, lazy and uninspired answer: whenever they are ready, and whenever they feel like releasing it...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

now, my answers with some low level / poor analytic thinking and argument:

Tl;Dr : it will come in as early as 1.5 year from now, and as late as 2.5 years from now. (about 3 year since 3Houses)
with starting announcement 1 year before the release.

now for the argument;

A. The length of development for Fire emblem.
3H was announced in 2017 at the same time they announce Echoes SoV. so 3H development begin at the very least from late 2016-early 2017. Echoes released in April 2017. and then 3H released in July 2019. So roughly 2.5 year development with 2 full year dedicated solely on 3H. (Warrior clearly done by Koei tecmo more than IS part, its just their usual Musou with FE skin, no big deal for Koei to tackle it alone).
back again, 3H release in mid 2019, and latest DLC in February 2020, so about more than half year split work. but this time IS also have grown significantly since Echoes both in capital and manpower. it can go either ways: 1. more freshblood to cram more ideas in same time, or 2. divide the workload to existing project to speed things up. whatever the case this is negated by global pandemic event, resulting in their work efficiency drop. (theres some report that Japs have harder time transitioning to WFH in some industry).
In short, we cant expect it to release faster than 3H

B. What game they decide to release next.
B.1 If its remake, this should cut some development time, simply because theres already the general outline to the story, even if they dont want to repeat SoV mistake (faithful to a fault), surely the general plot point and critical event should be roughly the same.
This is especially true if its FE6 remake. Because theres talk about unfinished remake in 3DS, with clear hint that higher-ups in IS wants FE6, also whats with the recent trailer of FE1 localization having emphasis on "not getting localization despite in Smash" showing both Roy and Marth battling, with Roy winning against Marth, 🤔 ...but marth getting localization of old games... 🤔 (it would be amusing if they make second episode of that trailer and reveal Roy getting a remake instead)
In short, FE6 have slightly bigger chances getting remake first (if its remake) and it would take the early part of my guess (1.5 year earliest)

B.2 If its entirely new game. then it would take longer. They would try to implement new ideas, possibly use new engine, have different partner for helping in technical 3D part of the game, etc, etc. the possibility is endless since thats whats going to happen if we were to believe FE producer (or director? forgot which one) interview about them trying new ideas and not sticking to what's works before in every new FE since the old times.
In short, entirely new games will release in longer timeframe. and it would take the later part of my guess (as late as 2.5 year)

kudos to whoever read all this 👏

it would be so funny if they skipped jugdral entirely to release binding blade again. knife in the front for all the old school fans. i'd be here for it, because they are a bit too faithful in their remakes and if there's a game that actually deserves to change almost beyond recognition in a remake, it's fe4. so many mechanics that we don't need to see again. also roy ownage.

38 minutes ago, Axie said:

it would be so funny if they skipped jugdral entirely to release binding blade again. knife in the front for all the old school fans. i'd be here for it, because they are a bit too faithful in their remakes and if there's a game that actually deserves to change almost beyond recognition in a remake, it's fe4. so many mechanics that we don't need to see again. also roy ownage.

thats why i said above FE6 remake would be the faster release. only need overhaul in many areas , but the core gameplay still okay to retain. compared to FE4. 
im sure having a map that goes forever like FE4 is a problem for today standard, not to mention the dark implication to what happen to 1st gen char (behind the scenes is a no no, but keeping it as is also makes the game age rating possibly higher )

Edited by joevar

If they reuse the same engine as Three Houses that would cut down on development time (though I kind of hope they don't because as much as I love 3H the engine is really not very good for FE)

On 10/30/2020 at 9:57 AM, joevar said:

first, lazy and uninspired answer: whenever they are ready, and whenever they feel like releasing it...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

now, my answers with some low level / poor analytic thinking and argument:

Tl;Dr : it will come in as early as 1.5 year from now, and as late as 2.5 years from now. (about 3 year since 3Houses)
with starting announcement 1 year before the release.

now for the argument;

A. The length of development for Fire emblem.
3H was announced in 2017 at the same time they announce Echoes SoV. so 3H development begin at the very least from late 2016-early 2017. Echoes released in April 2017. and then 3H released in July 2019. So roughly 2.5 year development with 2 full year dedicated solely on 3H. (Warrior clearly done by Koei tecmo more than IS part, its just their usual Musou with FE skin, no big deal for Koei to tackle it alone).
back again, 3H release in mid 2019, and latest DLC in February 2020, so about more than half year split work. but this time IS also have grown significantly since Echoes both in capital and manpower. it can go either ways: 1. more freshblood to cram more ideas in same time, or 2. divide the workload to existing project to speed things up. whatever the case this is negated by global pandemic event, resulting in their work efficiency drop. (theres some report that Japs have harder time transitioning to WFH in some industry).
In short, we cant expect it to release faster than 3H

B. What game they decide to release next.
B.1 If its remake, this should cut some development time, simply because theres already the general outline to the story, even if they dont want to repeat SoV mistake (faithful to a fault), surely the general plot point and critical event should be roughly the same.
This is especially true if its FE6 remake. Because theres talk about unfinished remake in 3DS, with clear hint that higher-ups in IS wants FE6, also whats with the recent trailer of FE1 localization having emphasis on "not getting localization despite in Smash" showing both Roy and Marth battling, with Roy winning against Marth, 🤔 ...but marth getting localization of old games... 🤔 (it would be amusing if they make second episode of that trailer and reveal Roy getting a remake instead)
In short, FE6 have slightly bigger chances getting remake first (if its remake) and it would take the early part of my guess (1.5 year earliest)

B.2 If its entirely new game. then it would take longer. They would try to implement new ideas, possibly use new engine, have different partner for helping in technical 3D part of the game, etc, etc. the possibility is endless since thats whats going to happen if we were to believe FE producer (or director? forgot which one) interview about them trying new ideas and not sticking to what's works before in every new FE since the old times.
In short, entirely new games will release in longer timeframe. and it would take the later part of my guess (as late as 2.5 year)

kudos to whoever read all this 👏

What's the mistake with SoV? The whole levelling mechanics? yeah that was silly. They tried to copied FE2. Imo I don't find FE6 have any issues with levelling mechanics. Sure they can add a few of the more modern skills / classes.

I am guessing remake. Really surprised they are skipping Judgral for FE6. Then again, Judgral will need a rehaul. Otherwise it will be very different to new FE players.

Yeah I thought COVID wont slow down developers. I guess it does cause they are at home and anime is right there.

I love FE3H but something about it feels so lazy. Like they didn't even need to create boss portrait (other than the few mains). They re-use other classes for the most part.

(Unlikely) Before March 2021 - financial close for Nintendo. We already have the re-release of FE1 so I think this is unlikely

(Less Likely) Summer 2021 remake - If Nintendo needs something to fill the gap between releases. Reason I think is unlikely is COVID has caused development issues and by Summer we will just be coming out of it.

(More Likely) Fall 2021 remake - more sales closer to holiday, more people recovered financially to buy game

Winter 2022 - Next FE Entry

Also I doubt we will get news of it early. The current trend in video game marketing is to hold off on building anticipation for games, and doing shadow drops of games. Or doing announcements one month in advance. There's been quite a few PR folks at large video game companies who have mentioned this. Supposedly it's the most cost effective way of promoting a game. The theory is early announcements benefit the dedicated fanbase but casuals don't pay attention. Since the dedicated fanbase will buy the product anyway, better to spend advertising dollars when casuals pay attention. Not sure I agree with that stance, but it is the current marketing gimmick.

Edited by IonicAmalgam

5 hours ago, Ryuke said:

What's the mistake with SoV? The whole levelling mechanics? yeah that was silly. They tried to copied FE2. Imo I don't find FE6 have any issues with levelling mechanics. Sure they can add a few of the more modern skills / classes.

I am guessing remake. Really surprised they are skipping Judgral for FE6. Then again, Judgral will need a rehaul. Otherwise it will be very different to new FE players.

Yeah I thought COVID wont slow down developers. I guess it does cause they are at home and anime is right there.

I love FE3H but something about it feels so lazy. Like they didn't even need to create boss portrait (other than the few mains). They re-use other classes for the most part.

mistake of sov is mainly about plot related thing, and map design. the gameplay mechanic has its plus and minuses, but on the other hand the presentation really good.
in other words where things didnt live up to standard, sometimes they only polish it a little bit, rather than change it to fit the whole modern design better.

My guess would probably be 2026 for a brand new game. For a remake I have no idea. Maybe 2024? I don't think we'll be seeing anything new from FE before that, potentially 2023 but that's pushing it. Perhaps we'll get more old games on the store. There's hope now after what they did for Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. Who knows what they'll remake next. I have a feeling they'll unfortunately skip over the Holy War and Thracia and plunge straight into Binding Blade. That could be our last remake too. Man that game is in need of a desperate remake though lol.

I am pretty sure we might not get a brand new Fire Emblem game around this year due to the Pandemic going on, it would might be possibly be around next year like somewhere 2021 or later. But, here's my suggestion that you should try out, if you already have played all the official localized Fire Emblem games as of right now and want to try out the other Fire Emblem titles, you should try download the upcoming official localized Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light on the Nintendo eShop that is around $6 this December (you should get it before they disappear around March since it had a limited release).

Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the timeline of releases since FE12 (I'm gonna assume that's when they settled into their current development style/cycles) you'd have:
2010 - New Mystery of the Emblem
2012 - Awakening
2015 - Fates
2017 - Shadows of Valentia
2019 - Three Houses

There's a very consistent 2-3 year schedule going on here. If you asked me in February after Cindered Shadows released, I'd have said that we'd see the next Fire Emblem release in 2021. However, I'm not so sure anymore. Assuming every game got bumped back by 0.5 - 1 years due to the pandemic, then I would say late 2021/early 2022 if it's a remake; late 2022/early 2023 if it's an entirely new game. Multiple sources have said that Nintendo cancelled several 3DS projects after how horribly the last few titles they released bombed and one of those was supposedly an FE remake. I would bet good money on our next title being a remake that gets revealed in whenever next year's first direct is, gets slated for late 2021, and then delayed into very early 2022.

Now, as for what game could be remade? I would LOVE Genealogy of the Holy War and it definitely needs a remake the most (with modern support features, in-game guides for the mechanics, and more) but I think it's an exact 50/50 chance between FE4 and Binding Blade. On one hand, much like how Three Houses is very clearly inspired by FE4 in a number of ways, there were notably quite a few references to/inspirations from Gaiden in the two titles leading up to its remake in addition to the game's cast having surge in popularity and interest from Heroes. On the other hand, Binding Blade has all the Smash attention drawn towards it, it has a nostalgia factor for all the kids who grew up with FE7, it's way more straightforward and simple than FE4 is, and the legendary "I wanna do FE6 next" interview from the FE15 director.

I have a massive bias for the Radiance duo, so take that into consideration for my comment: but I can actually see a PoR/RD remake faster than any others, and as a way to pad out the time between a truly new continent.  In no particular order of reasoning:

• it being a natural 3D duo of games would make it easier to convert to the Switch; RD's FMV's still hold up impressively well.  It'd really only be the 3D map elements that would need a re-skin.  The biggest point against a Binding remake (let alone FE4/5) is how much work it'd take to go from 2D to 3D.
  • the fans tend to be noisy  [ gestures at how much $$ old PoR disks go for ]
  • The misstep in the absolute lack of marketing RD (and lending to its terrible sales) would have a chance of being fixed, as now people are aware of the Radiance games due to FEH / Fates / said noisy fans
  • clearly IS doesn't care about the "order" given the FE1 re-re-release

That being said I wouldn't be upset at a Binding or Thracia remake; long overdue there.

Hoping for FE4 remake next year at some point. I think we'll definitely see something announced next year but who knows how development has been affected. New game in 2023. Would be odd if they took longer given how successful 3H was, series is growing  with every release so it makes sense to capitalize on that.

We should all just play our backlogs and complete them, rather than wanting new games when they're clearly not coming out anytime soon, otherwise the waiting is more painful if you get yourself hyped.

Sadly for me, nintendo doesn't really care about series I like, enough to consistently make games for them...Metroid I mean. Fire emblem is getting more games now since awakening so maybe we'll see something in 2021?

I suspect that it all depends. If a remake, then probably end-2021 with announcements first appearing in January/February. If a brand new game, they have the Three Houses assets which would cut down on time, but I still think probably 2022 at the earliest.

I'm hoping for an announcement sometime soon, although a release would likely be sometime next year. I don't expect anything sooner.

Ideally, it would be a Tellius duology. Both games really deserve more attention than they get, IMO. And having them be both easily accessible and playable in a handheld format would be fantastic.

But I wouldn't mind an FE6 remake either. That game would benefit greatly from a remake as well. Hopefully they follow a similar design to what Project Ember has done for FE6. That'd be great.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'm hoping for an announcement sometime soon, although a release would likely be sometime next year. I don't expect anything sooner.

Ideally, it would be a Tellius duology. Both games really deserve more attention than they get, IMO. And having them be both easily accessible and playable in a handheld format would be fantastic.

But I wouldn't mind an FE6 remake either. That game would benefit greatly from a remake as well. Hopefully they follow a similar design to what Project Ember has done for FE6. That'd be great.

I don't see a full Tellius remake happening anytime soon, though i could see an HD collection with graphical changes, QOL features and minor balance adjustments being made. For full remakes FE4 and FE6 are definitely the better options.

Edited by Murozaki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eh, in the immediate timeframe, I'd rather see a DLC expansion so that I finally get to see Edelgard finally getting rid of the Dark Slitherers and Crimson Flower getting an equal number of chapters to the rest.

23 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Eh, in the immediate timeframe, I'd rather see a DLC expansion so that I finally get to see Edelgard finally getting rid of the Dark Slitherers and Crimson Flower getting an equal number of chapters to the rest.

Honestly, I (sadly) think they did everything they wanted to do with Three Houses.
I don't really see another DLC coming, even if I'd really like it, and I am still sad they didn't add an online arena via free update, maybe making it more interesting than the Fates one by creating particoular modes or seasonal battles between the routes team (like, you can enter the arena during a particoular time and choose if you want to fight for the Black Eagles, the Blue Lions or the Golden Deer, and at thee end of that time the winners get some items, gold, or things like that).

I don't know when we'll get a new Fire Emblem, and IS is investing on Heroes really hard since 2017, but I am glad they are taking their time to develop game, unlike many others companies. I still have to complete Three Houses so I don't mind if we start getting news around 2022.

21 hours ago, Francis said:

IS is investing on Heroes really hard since 2017, but I am glad they are taking their time to develop game, unlike many others companies. I still have to complete Three Houses so I don't mind if we start getting news around 2022.

IS inventing at heroes is true, but they also have grown as company (more employee, more funds), the artists keep changing like they are some part-timer in every event, voice actor only have minimal voice to record. so i dont think it affects IS that much  / take much resources from IS to manage it. so 2022 is a bit late for news "to start" appearing, unless its new game with even bigger scope and ambition than 3 houses