The Fall of Thabes release

Jotari

Trailer

Original post here 

This is a fan hack of The Sacred Stones that takes place in the distant past of Archanea focusing on the final days of Thabes before Duma destroys it. There are 12(ish) chapters to playthrough. The game features the Gaiden magic system, though it is a bit buggy so this is an open beta until a better patch for that gets complete. Aside from that a full list of gameplay mechanics includes the following.

Spoiler

-Like in Thracia, Res is used for Magic and Resistance. This is better to have dual magic and physical users in the gameboy engine.

-A lot of dragon enemies. Also uses original Mystery of the Emblem's elemental effectiveness on dragons.

-Due to a large majority of enemies being dragons, there is no weapon triangle.

-No staves or healing magic. Originally this was because the Gaiden magic system proof of concept I was using didn't allow for it, but now I've designed the game around it. Elixirs are in abundance, but if you want a unit to heal, you have to take a turn out of combat to do so.

-Limited resources. There is no way of accessing the supply. So you have to be a lot more careful about what weapons you use.

-Trading works by SNES rules (ie it doesn't cost an action to perform) because managing resources is so important without a convoy.

-Most stat boosters now boost one point at a time, but have three uses. Stat boosters are also quite common, meaning choosing who to use them on will have a rather large impact on how you're army grows.

-Minimal cast, full deployment. There is no preparations screen at all. This is because there's a lot of stat boosters to be had and choosing when to use them rather than performing an action with a unit can be critical, especially in some of the later maps.

-No weapon ranks. The game feels too short to justify them, especially when you also have magic as a means of attack. Well weapon ranks do exists, it's just every weapon is set to E.

Download link https://www.dropbox.com/s/w67ntttxy3rrmr9/FallOfThabesRelease.zip?dl=0

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Golb89 said:

If you are using Resistance (RES) for both magical attack and defense, shouldn't it be renamed as Magic (MAG)?

Yes. And it is in the game.

8 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Wow, you actually made a fanmade game that covers overall 3 days? That's how long it took for Thabes to fall. 

Is this fanhack made with accordance to what we learn from the Valentian Accordion? 

Yes, a lot of it is taken from the Valentian Accordion and also the Valentian Book of Revalations. It's also mixing the story of Forneus in there too using all that lore which nothing suggests happened in the same time frame as the actual destruction of Thabes.

By some mad coincidence someone happened to release a Duma combat animation on the same day I released this game. So needless to say I've went and implemented that into it. So Version 1.0.1 has cropped up sooner than expected for anyone who wants to play it with a better sprite for Duma. Updated download link in the OP. Here's Shyuter's Duma combat animations.

17 minutes ago, DannyLight said:

I'm on chapter 11 and I beat the boss , but the game is not continuing. Is something wrong ? Where did I mess up?

Not an issue on your part. I know exactly why that's happening. It's because I added some chapters in between which moved the chapter in which Forneus's death quote activates and it's his death quote that triggers the chapter clear. Sorry I didn't catch that sooner. It's been a while since I've legitimately defeated Forneus in a playtest. He is, effectively, the final boss. There's just one chapter after that but it's more like an animated cutscene than a genuine gameplay challenge. Version 1.0.3 is up now on the original download. The fact that you're the first to tell me about this means that congratulations, you're the first to finish the game! I just hope anyone else that downloaded it comes back to get the updated version.

6 hours ago, danynorelus said:

So when's your next project coming out 🙂 i need more then 12 chapters. This is fire !!!

Why a lovely comment. Thanks for the feedback. I do have some ideas for future works but I'll release some minor stuff first. Specifically I want to make Binding Blade Lyn Mode which would be a simple hack that replaces Roy with Lyn to test if she's just a bad character overall or if she's unfortunately shafted by Binding Blade's game design.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this is a tough one. I couldn't beat the first chapter, even after a few tries. I noticed the Ice Dragon sprites though, I thought FE12 had proper overworld sprites for them. Other than that, this is a pretty cool hack. I'll keep trying to actually beat the first chapter lol

7 hours ago, Oersted_LAL said:

Man, this is a tough one. I couldn't beat the first chapter, even after a few tries. I noticed the Ice Dragon sprites though, I thought FE12 had proper overworld sprites for them. Other than that, this is a pretty cool hack. I'll keep trying to actually beat the first chapter lol

The first chapter is designed to be difficult if you want to get both the treasure chests, but not too challenging if you're just trying to best it. You have to keep up a fast pace though as the reinforcements will destroy you. Don't think of it as a rout chapter, think of it as an escape chapter (of which real escape chapters also exist in the game). And don't try to hoard the elixers.

Well this one was a busy week, so i can only try the first 2 levels.

First i want to said:

-I'm not a hardcore player
-kudos for the magic system
-Maybe because my playstyle is defensive the chapters 1 and 2 were difficult
-I mistake the magic's hp cost with limited uses, and this lasted until the 4 try in chapter 1(or 2?) LOL.

Spoiler

The inmersion is good, i always feel that the situation never improved and the characters are in total disadvantaged(lorewise has sense).
Without WT is difficult play defensive so the first chapters i change my playstyle and go to the offensive
The archer unit(i don't remember his name) was a deadweight most of the time, i hope that this improved later.
That greece reference with the male pegasus knight.

I looking foward to play the rest of the hackrom and the chapter 2(or 3) looks promising

BTW what contains the chest next to the fire dragon boss and the chest on that island(promotion item? the legendary weapon? the water of eternal life?) 

Spoiler

Also Mage dragon general: They destroy our terrors and are only a few... We will let it live, this is a wasted our time(damm villain logic)

My last stand:

1434672662_Fallofthebes2.png.9cfc2100049d5d694c956a6b5afc5bbe.png

6 minutes ago, Trycex said:

Well this one was a busy week, so i can only try the first 2 levels.

First i want to said:

-I'm not a hardcore player
-kudos for the magic system
-Maybe because my playstyle is defensive the chapters 1 and 2 were difficult
-I mistake the magic's hp cost with limited uses, and this lasted until the 4 try in chapter 1(or 2?) LOL.

Hide contents

The inmersion is good, i always feel that the situation never improved and the characters are in total disadvantaged(lorewise has sense).
Without WT is difficult play defensive so the first chapters i change my playstyle and go to the offensive
The archer unit(i don't remember his name) was a deadweight most of the time, i hope that this improved later.
That greece reference with the male pegasus knight.

I looking foward to play the rest of the hackrom and the chapter 2(or 3) looks promising

Yeah the game definitely encourages aggressive playing. I am considering making an easy mode patch though as I understand it's a bit too hardcore for a lot of players.

6 minutes ago, Trycex said:

BTW what contains the chest next to the fire dragon boss and the chest on that island(promotion item? the legendary weapon? the water of eternal life?) 

Close, the second chapter has the boots. While the first chapter has a Body Ring.

Close, the second chapter has the boots. While the first chapter has a Body Ring.

woah, those two would definitely improve the archer.

Yeah the game definitely encourages aggressive playing. I am considering making an easy mode patch though as I understand it's a bit too hardcore for a lot of players.

Well, i will try to end the hackrom before that.

1 hour ago, Trycex said:

woah, those two would definitely improve the archer.

Well, i will try to end the hackrom before that.

Tychon (the Archer) is a pretty standard Est, only gained at the start of the game. Give him some of the stat boosters at the start to get by his early game and he should grow into a pretty capable unit.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing a playthrough guide of my game, but I keep forgetting to post it here. I really should so people have a chance to find it and I'm not just shouting into the void.

Major update. The portraits in the game have all been updated, including the dragon mugs which previously used off palette portraits. I've added Casual Mode for people struggling with the game's difficulty, and I've added what I call AI Tags. Items in enemy inventories that describe what kind of AI they work under. @Alastor15243 in particular asked for a way to know whether enemies are stationary or not, though there are several other AI types too. Hopefully all that should make the game more approachable to a wider audience of people.