Combat Animation Style

ciphertul

With the topic of next FE engine, I got thinking about the combat animations. I don’t know about the rest of you but I felt the combat in 3H was... boring and generic. The lack of unique combat styles and overall boring attacks and crits was disappointing. So I was wondering if others prefer the flashier slower animations with more weight and style or the more simplified and generic animations that are much faster.

Edited by ciphertul
Better wording

Honestly, I don't think that's actually an either or. The GBA animations in general were pretty dang fast and they were the best-looking animations in the series. I'd actually love to see a game that goes back to full 2D GBA style with modern sprites and animations. The shit the people who made the GBA games could do with today's tech? Holy shit I'd wanna see that.

I agree. We need all the flashy animations and not the lazy ones, or at least be like Echoes where they give Scendscale and Ragnarok Omega unique animations and   b a c k g r o u n d   s h i f t

Edited by GodSejeong97

I'd like full 3D models with classically over the top animations. Like, the equivalent of a FE Warriors Musuo attack for a critical hit.

And hell, maybe take a page out of Trails' book for spell animations and make them ridiculous like that when spells crit.

Then allow players to turn off crit animations for faster playthroughs.

Assuming 3D models are here to stay, I was very much a fan of battle animations in Fates and Echoes. I'd especially like to see some of the little details from Echoes - your unit charging into battle, a unique animation for each combat art - to make a comeback. And from Fates, I really enjoyed a lot of the magic animations - I'll never forget Calamity Gate! And if they can stay over-the-top and fluid (i.e. no "backing up every time the enemy does 0 damage with a Gauntlet"), all the better.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Typo, added.

3 hours ago, ciphertul said:

With the topic of next FE engine, I got thinking about the combat animations. I don’t know about the rest of you but I felt the combat in 3H was... boring and generic. The lack of unique combat styles and overall boring attacks and crits was disappointing. So I was wondering if others prefer the flashier slower animations with more weight and style or the more boring and generic animations that are much faster.

depend with art direction.. is what i would say. BUT i sincerely hope they go for practical and "make sense" movement in standard animation, while critical can go beyond that.

if i were to pick then Echoes combat animation which is practical in most situation but yet still dare to insert Dread fighter and other overclass critical  animation (which is not pratical) or the personal art thats actually flashy.

i could accept anything but fates animation.

8 minutes ago, joevar said:

depend with art direction.. is what i would say. BUT i sincerely hope they go for practical and "make sense" movement in standard animation, while critical can go beyond that.

if i were to pick then Echoes combat animation which is practical in most situation but yet still dare to insert Dread fighter and other overclass critical  animation (which is not pratical) or the personal art thats actually flashy.

i could accept anything but fates animation.

I actually prefer Fates, the killing attacks animations where good and the crits where way more interesting. I had wished they would have kept the fatal and non-fatal crits that Tellius had

10 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I actually prefer Fates, the killing attacks animations where good and the crits where way more interesting. I had wished they would have kept the fatal and non-fatal crits that Tellius had

i will just say, i hate corrin animation. and thats the first thing i noticed the first time i play fates in the first battle. try playing it with half speed: Twirling around with big sword thats actually just cheap bronze sword, then strike a pose that twist their body, then do a full somersault for simple attack, or high uppercut for follow up attack that feels like seeing a dante fight.

i know fates was trying to go full anime but sigh.

Edited by joevar

2 minutes ago, joevar said:

i will just say, i hate corrin animation. and thats the first thing i noticed the first time i play fates in the first battle. try playing it with half speed: Twirling around with big sword thats actually just cheap bronze sword, then strike a pose that twist their body, then do a full somersault for simple attack, or high uppercut for follow up attack that feels like seeing a dante fight. bruh.

I won’t argue there, I just meant in general. I didn’t care for Corrin’s animations, in both Fates and Warriors. But overall better then 3H

Edited by ciphertul

2 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I won’t argue there, I just meant in general. I didn’t care for Corrin’s animations, in both Fates and Warriors. But overall better then 3H

i agree with 3H being boring and lack variation, or maybe it really feels that way since it becomes full HD and everyone have their own in game model , we expect them to have their own animation which they dont. but for art to not have variation is definitely a big letdown

5 minutes ago, joevar said:

i agree with 3H being boring and lack variation, or maybe it really feels that way since it becomes full HD and everyone have their own in game model , we expect them to have their own animation which they dont. but for art to not have variation is definitely a big letdown

I mostly think it was the fault of the free weapon equip, as it's hard to make different animations for each class and weapon matchup.

I know this is actually due to weapon arts in Three Houses but I'm not a fan of when EVERY attack is a drawn out flashy animation. (Especially with bows, you're always going to use that 3-range art with more hit-rate and damage over the regular attack if possible generally.), I do not need to see Bernadetta draw her bow, cause an updraft and fire over 8 times if I wasn't skipping animations, Especially early on when your units are crap, TH kinda forces you to constantly use weapon arts so it gets boring and stale fast with the fancy animations.

I like how it's done in SOV/most of the GBA animations, where most classes (aside from maybe late-game promotions, such as Dread Fighter.) have relatively grounded animations but then when they DO perform some wacky thing, that actually means a critical hit is about to happen and you're hyped (or freaking out if the enemy got it.) and even then I'm willing to take them for gloriously strong highly promoted units.

I guess for an example, Chrom buries his Falchion in the ground every time, even when there's a still-alive enemy infront of him like an absolute moron but Saber from Echoes only does it if his enemy is dead, that's the sorta level of animation that I like.

It's like explosions in an action movie/game, there's nothing inherently wrong with them but you can only throw so many of them at once before it gets tiresome, so I'd rather units mostly fight relatively grounded but have super flashy critical hits. (And don't make weapon arts super flashy if I'm going to be using them more than the actual regular attacks.)

Edited by Samz707

18 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Assuming 3D models are here to stay, I was very much a fan of battle animations in Fates and Echoes. I'd especially like to see some of the little details from Echoes - your unit charging into battle, a unique animation for each combat art - to make a comeback. And from Fates, I really enjoyed a lot of the magic animations - I'll never forget Calamity Gate! And if they can stay over-the-top and fluid (i.e. no "backing up every time the enemy does 0 damage with a Gauntlet"), all the better.

Remember people going ballistic over how great the animations looked with the first Echoes trailer dropped? The game had some nice details. I particularly like the way the horse attacks too (even though that makes no sense in terms of weapon equipment).

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Remember people going ballistic over how great the animations looked with the first Echoes trailer dropped? The game had some nice details. I particularly like the way the horse attacks too (even though that makes no sense in terms of weapon equipment).

absolutely, echoes strike a nice balance between practical and flashy. art is art with some fancy moves, while normal attack and counter feels like how people properly fight (did 3H have character side stepping when avoiding attack before counter attacking?).

21 minutes ago, joevar said:

absolutely, echoes strike a nice balance between practical and flashy. art is art with some fancy moves, while normal attack and counter feels like how people properly fight (did 3H have character side stepping when avoiding attack before counter attacking?).

Kinda, an assassin will backflip then roll up and stab the enemy. archers will jump back and shoot while in the air. I do like the counter animations.