Dan's sprites (feedback appreciated)

Piscesdan

Hello everyone.

In order to display all of my sprites at the beginning, I'm editing this post. I apologize if I accidently remove context for future posts.

As a relative spriting beginner, especially Fire Emblem sprites, feedback is very gretaly appreciated.

Male Blade Lord

Spoiler

This is the first one I posted here, a male blade lord.

BladeLord_M.png.f19bb7b5f730e8d23a78c5bd60177c6b.pngBladeLord_M_large.png.6c77b24db35ff701ba9e422529bab02f.png

This is the third version, after some feedback from the users. It's obviosly an edit of Lyn, and I chose to use Rutger for the color and hair. It was kinda tricky to do, since - afaik - this is the only battle sprite from this angle.

Legionnaire

Spoiler

Hot off the printing press... err, painting program? is the Legionnaire.

Legionnaire.png.cd373da978007e04ac5ca706f5fa53f4.pngLegionnaire_large.png.88704300cbabba049d76121a62517e83.png

This one promotes either from Myrmidon or from Soldier, hence uses both lances and swords. I referenced actual roman legionnaires, hence the tower shield, the more spherical helmet, and the wide bit on the lance.

Centurion

Spoiler

As one of the promoted forms of the Legionnaire, the Centurion also gains access to bows.

centurion.png.d486a0556c54057d54f6a6cd243725be.pngcenturion_large.png.338e504a7e53889fcf14b1af03366d10.png

I gave the shield a different design and a new color. Also, one of the decorative head-pieces. From what I read, that's actually more of a ceremonial aspect and not generally worn in battle. But who cares about that, right?

Centurion alternative:

Spoiler

Centurion_B.png.3fabf593842cded3cd7169a0555473a6.pngCenturion_B_large.png.9ffa0ad8a12d9e64f612812fc05873cd.png

Gladiator

Spoiler

The other promotion for Legionnaire; this path gives access to axes instead of bows with the Centurion.

Gladiator.png.c541d6d5d3d707e8e2f54b2d28da5738.pngGladiator_large.png.f46cfc1e578ec1649be433d42894040c.png

Credit goes to Iscaneus on DeviantArt. I used a recolored version of a helmet he made for a Warrior sprite in FE:A style. Thank you very much for letting me use it, please check his work out.

To give some context, I'm making some custom sprites for this monstrosity, with the goal of them being more unique and hopefully iconic.

Edited by Piscesdan
Made the thread a more general showcase / feedback thread

1 hour ago, Piscesdan said:

To get back to the hair as an example, Rutger has longer hair than most guys, and usually, his shoulders obstruct the lowest part of it. That's not the case with this angle though.

If you want it to look like Rutger specifically, I would make the hair longer personally, but if not the hair is quite good as-is.

Another part is the chest. I made it 1 pixel thinner, but I'm not sure if I can make it even thinner. What do you think?

I think a bit thinner would be good, yeah.

Also, it's a bit very red, maybe I could a splash of contrasting color?

I quite like the color scheme, but it is quite red. I like the look quite a lot.

3 hours ago, Piscesdan said:

Also, it's a bit very red, maybe I could a splash of contrasting color?

I know nothing about making sprites or anything like that, but I see potential so I just want to say that if you made the pants/leg color the same shade of yellow that the stripes are I think this outfit would really pop. If there’s some basic sprite knowledge that prevents this or something than you can just ignore this.

12 hours ago, Benice said:

I think a bit thinner would be good, yeah.

Does this work? Or is it awkard to have 2 outlines next to each other?

BladeLord_M.png.fe4185508e76b3df0af28969ddfda8f9.pngBladeLord_M_large.png.34d61b8f3d98fa40a5897d4655c40467.png

10 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

I know nothing about making sprites or anything like that, but I see potential so I just want to say that if you made the pants/leg color the same shade of yellow that the stripes are I think this outfit would really pop. If there’s some basic sprite knowledge that prevents this or something than you can just ignore this.

I think those yellow lines are supposed to be gold. So it would probably look strange.

3 hours ago, Piscesdan said:

Does this work? Or is it awkard to have 2 outlines next to each other?

BladeLord_M.png.fe4185508e76b3df0af28969ddfda8f9.pngBladeLord_M_large.png.34d61b8f3d98fa40a5897d4655c40467.png

Looks pretty good to me! It does look a tad off, but better than the wider version, at least in my opinion.

In FE battle sprites, males have thicker limbs. A good example is on the archer. Look at Wil, then look at Rebecca. Rebecca is wearing a skirt and she has thinner arms and legs. With this pose though, it's gonna be hard to do on the legs at least, but try making the arms thicker and broadening the shoulders.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

In FE battle sprites, males have thicker limbs. A good example is on the archer. Look at Wil, then look at Rebecca. Rebecca is wearing a skirt and she has thinner arms and legs. With this pose though, it's gonna be hard to do on the legs at least, but try making the arms thicker and broadening the shoulders.

I'll see how it'll work out.

In the mean time, I'd like to introduce my latest creation: the Legionnaire

Legionnaire.png.4ff755ea35cf9b250be0794c4d486f94.pngLegionnaire_large.png.087df74a386e6ce835000b528f4f3e18.png

For this one, I don't have any particular complaints I need help with. I'd just like to show it off.

For some context, I had the idea of making relatively custom sprites of the classes featured in Jotari's crazy class tree. (yes, it's completely bonkers, but I love it) Nothing against his work, but I'd just like to make to make them a bit more unique.

If you don't feel like looking it up, it's a Tier 2 class that promotes from Myrmidon and Soldier. As such, it can use both lances and swords. For this one, I referenced actual roman leionnaires, hence the tower shield, the more spherical helmet, and the wide bit on the lance.

• Piscesdan changed the title to Dan's sprites (feedback appreciated)

Oh wow this is all based on my work. Gee shucks I feel honored. I guess I'll add them onto it once there's a few more (my own attempt at custom sprites are lacking to say the least). The Legionnaire seems to be missing a face though.

I added a quick poll on whether the Centurion (one of the Legionnaire's promotions) should keep the shield or not.

This sounds a bit silly but hear me out. Getting rid of the shield would make some of the distinguising details visible: mainly the sword hilt and possibly a cape. Accoring to Wikipedia, carrying the hilt for their short sword on the left side was one of the distinguishing features of roman centurions. Also their greaves. (currently, there are literally 3 pixels of non-outline leg visible)

If they do keep the shield, I guess I'll just put the sword into their main hand instead of the spear. Though to be honest, I find it a bit cheaty to simply have them hold a different weapon to visually distinguish a class from it's earlier stage.

Edited by Piscesdan

As one of the promoted forms of the Legionnaire, the Centurion also gains access to bows.

centurion.png.d486a0556c54057d54f6a6cd243725be.pngcenturion_large.png.338e504a7e53889fcf14b1af03366d10.png

I gave the shield a different design and a new color. Also, one of the decorative head-pieces. From what I read, that's actually more of a ceremonial aspect and not generally worn in battle. But who cares about that, right?

I'm also working on another version of the sprite, to hopefully make it more distinct from the Legionnaire. But that could go either way, so I'm postng this one anyway.

As always, feedback greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:58 AM, Piscesdan said:

And here he is with a helmet.

Gladiator.png.7e410363e64f8eb50a1119db3a97c136.pngGladiator_large.png.6ff0a33feb87a4f6a3088bb32301180e.png

Credit goes to Iscaneus on DeviantArt. I used a recolored version of a helmet he made for a Warrior sprite in FE:A style. Thank you very much for letting me use it, please check his work out.

Helmet makes it look like he's wearing sunglasses...Which I wouldn't object to on principle...but still sort of weird.

22 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

imo the male blade lord sprite you've made, looks too thin, and the skirt covering his legs makes him look very feminine.

Yeah, am still wondering what to do about the skirt. NOt sure I can do anything about the thinness, isn't that just because of the angle?