Advice for getting into the fandom side of Twitter?

Dragoncat

Just what it says. I want to start posting my fanfics and sprites on Twitter and broadening my audience. A lot of fun stuff happens there from what I've seen and I realized if I want to join in and hear of the new projects as they come, I'll need more than Discord and Reddit. Now I have heard horror stories about Twitter and Nintendo fandoms. People getting really nasty over drama...but I mainly want to get into the creative crowd which is generally more chill.

I have already linked my Twitter to my Reddit. I plan on completing my Twitter profile and posting stuff with appropriate hashtags, does anyone recommend anything extra? I will also be following topics and others in the creative crowd. But I wonder if there's anything besides the obvious to avoid and anything besides the obvious I should do.

Please do not just tell me not to without a good reason or an alternative place to get into these zine projects.

Edited by Dragoncat

I just spent a recent night talking somebody off the ledge of probable self harm because they got "cancelled" by creative twitter over something incredibly stupidly minor.

So, yeah, twitter is toxic, and the creative side is even more toxic if possible.  And not in the snowflake way, either - we're talking constant death threats, harassment mobs, and similar; wrote a whole resource page on it. Would echo the above posters in saying 'don't'.

That being said ... I know that's what you're not wanting to hear. Some tools in your toolbox:

• fuck hashtags, fuck trying to "fit" yourself to what the audience wants to see.  Sure the dopamine rush is nice, but it's never worth waking up five years down the road and realizing you sold your soul for something as insignificant and ephemeral as "likes" and attention that doesn't last more than two seconds. 
  • Make your own website (not on social media) as a "base", neocities has some free options. The algorithm can never censor you there, and it's a personal gallery of your creations that you can be proud of, always.  (These days i spend 90% of my time on my site vs 10% on social media.)
  • Make shit for yourself, not for others.
  • Newsgrounds and mastodon may be slightly 'chiller' socmed sites for sprites n stuff than twitter.

8 hours ago, kradeelav said:

I just spent a recent night talking somebody off the ledge of probable self harm because they got "cancelled" by creative twitter over something incredibly stupidly minor.

So, yeah, twitter is toxic, and the creative side is even more toxic if possible.  And not in the snowflake way, either - we're talking constant death threats, harassment mobs, and similar; wrote a whole resource page on it. Would echo the above posters in saying 'don't'.

That being said ... I know that's what you're not wanting to hear. Some tools in your toolbox:

• fuck hashtags, fuck trying to "fit" yourself to what the audience wants to see.  Sure the dopamine rush is nice, but it's never worth waking up five years down the road and realizing you sold your soul for something as insignificant and ephemeral as "likes" and attention that doesn't last more than two seconds. 
  • Make your own website (not on social media) as a "base", neocities has some free options. The algorithm can never censor you there, and it's a personal gallery of your creations that you can be proud of, always.  (These days i spend 90% of my time on my site vs 10% on social media.)
  • Make shit for yourself, not for others.
  • Newsgrounds and mastodon may be slightly 'chiller' socmed sites for sprites n stuff than twitter.

Thank you Krad. I had no idea the toxicness was this bad...it's really really sad. But your link describes kink artists, which I am not, although I have dabbled in smut fic, but very vanilla stuff.

I have dabbled in making my own site for stuff like this before. How would you recommend finding zines though? A lot of them are on twitter, if not all.

Edited by Dragoncat

@Dragoncat

Yeah, my bad for not clarifying the link could go for honestly any artists these days - the harassment started in the more fringe R18 circles but honestly has expanded to vanilla creatives these days. Sad, as you said.  Highly encourage you to keep working on your site!  ❤️

The zines question is a good question!  I actually have the best luck with tumblr pages like fandomzines , zine-scene , zineforall , and i imagine that some of those pages have a mirrored twitter page.