Animals you'd like to see as "Beast units"

Jotari

So in case it isn't obvious what I mean by beast units, it's the shape shifting units like Taugel and Laguz. So far we've seen various birds, cats, rabbits, wolves and foxes as beast units. What other animals would you like to play as?

My random and out there opinion, after seeing the Immovable in 3H, is that I really want a tortoise/turtle shapeshifter. Idk why. But I do. Mainly to act as an armoured unit of sorts- slow as hell and probably low dex, but very high defence, high-ish res and at least decent strength. 

33 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

My random and out there opinion, after seeing the Immovable in 3H, is that I really want a tortoise/turtle shapeshifter. Idk why. But I do. Mainly to act as an armoured unit of sorts- slow as hell and probably low dex, but very high defence, high-ish res and at least decent strength. 

Would Pangolins also be acceptable? Hell, differentiate by having a bit more Dex and Str for less Res, or even make some Testudine units have magic access too, the Immovable did give that idea.

It's honestly surprising bears haven't happened yet. It'd make a lot of sense, though how to make them distinct would be the toughest part. Giving them mountain manoeuvrability or giving more even defences vs. Tigers could be a start.

Continuing the water theme (but avoiding completely water based like Sharks), I'd add Frogs. They could be distinct in a variety of ways: extended range with tongues, poison touch, leaping over terrain/attacks, hiding in water. Make them pretty reliant on water/swamp terrain and you could make them a foe to avoid in the right map.

23 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Would Pangolins also be acceptable? Hell, differentiate by having a bit more Dex and Str for less Res, or even make some Testudine units have magic access too, the Immovable did give that idea.

Ngl I’m now imagining Testudine as like a promoted form the way Nine Tails was to Kitsune in Fates. Keep the high bulk but also add magic access and more Dex- or hell, even add more speed. 

I had to look up what a Pangolin was, but they are indeed acceptable.

EDIT: I love the frog idea, adding poison and making them almost like the shapeshifter equivalents to thieves and assassins sounds lit. Having them get boosts from swamp terrain makes them threatening enemies, though make the bonuses too high and you may risk them being pretty meh in the hands of the player. But I like it.

Edited by Anathaco

30 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It's honestly surprising bears haven't happened yet. It'd make a lot of sense, though how to make them distinct would be the toughest part. Giving them mountain manoeuvrability or giving more even defences vs. Tigers could be a start.

Continuing the water theme (but avoiding completely water based like Sharks), I'd add Frogs. They could be distinct in a variety of ways: extended range with tongues, poison touch, leaping over terrain/attacks, hiding in water. Make them pretty reliant on water/swamp terrain and you could make them a foe to avoid in the right map.

Or just not have bears in the same game with Tigers.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Or just not have bears in the same game with Tigers.

I was making the comparison because I felt like it'd be inevitable.

But Tigers are moreso slow compared to the smaller cats, Bears aren't known for speed at all so that is another point to consider, though I was wanting to make the point that there should be more done with terrain for these units imo.

We'd be missing our Wizard of Oz reference if they don't show up with the Lions and Tigers too 😛.

46 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

EDIT: I love the frog idea, adding poison and making them almost like the shapeshifter equivalents to thieves and assassins sounds lit. Having them get boosts from swamp terrain makes them threatening enemies, though make the bonuses too high and you may risk them being pretty meh in the hands of the player. But I like it.

The player ones would probably need rebalancing to avoid irrelevance. Like you might get a tree frog who gets similar improvements in forests. I wanted to play on them being amphibians and thus needing water (taking HP damage outside it for instance), but allowing for the player to use a different frog which is better outside of the water than the ones I mentioned earlier would be a simple compromise.

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I was making the comparison because I felt like it'd be inevitable.

But Tigers are moreso slow compared to the smaller cats, Bears aren't known for speed at all so that is another point to consider, though I was wanting to make the point that there should be more done with terrain for these units imo.

We'd be missing our Wizard of Oz reference if they don't show up with the Lions and Tigers too 😛.

The player ones would probably need rebalancing to avoid irrelevance. Like you might get a tree frog who gets similar improvements in forests. I wanted to play on them being amphibians and thus needing water (taking HP damage outside it for instance), but allowing for the player to use a different frog which is better outside of the water than the ones I mentioned earlier would be a simple compromise.

Bears could also be the equivalent to fighters and berserkers (what with the mountain walking feature). Ie their bulk comes less from a high defense stat and more from an inflated HP stat.

Crocodiles/alligators. Water movement, but they're not restricted to water like sharks. Frogs are cool and funny though! Maybe the frogs can work with the crocs/gators as scouts or assassins while the crocs/gators are the heavy hitters.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

So in case it isn't obvious what I mean by beast units, it's the shape shifting units like Taugel and Laguz. So far we've seen various birds, cats, rabbits, wolves and foxes as beast units. What other animals would you like to play as?

you already cover a very wide range of animals in there, except water related one. unless you specifically wants us to point out the sub-species of that (of birds, cats, or fox like)

so i guess that leaves out other type of animals..such as bugs/insects ? something like humanoid mantis seems cool, altho having mantis in the size of person would be nightmare i guess.

Edited by joevar

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

i'd say snakes and reptiles in general

what i absolutely do NOT want to see is bug/insect/spider laguz

yep, else FE will turn into horror, especially when you coupled that with dungeon-type maps

13 minutes ago, joevar said:

yep, else FE will turn into horror, especially when you coupled that with dungeon-type maps

I wouldn't exactly be against that, the Resource management aspect of Survival Horror is already present and I'm a big fan of the Genre.

2 hours ago, Yexin said:

It would be neat if Snake ones could poison the enemy.

Imagine if Spiders had an attack where they could web up units, effectively paralyzing them.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

Would Pangolins also be acceptable?

A pangolin could roll around at the speed of sound.

5 hours ago, Yexin said:

Add Rolly Polly Laguz.

Snakes, bears, crocs, frogs, those are all good ideas.

Beavers that can terraform the map.

Since laguz obviously result from the unresolved feelings Kaga got from looking at the weird side of the internet, they should add dog vomit slime mold laguz.

I'd like to see bird transformers back but I think there should be a bunch of exotic birds. I'm thinking of parrots that use magic when transformed, because their recitation is enhanced rather than diminished. Imagine a tribe of toucan laguz. Toucans use those giant beaks to kill and eat other birds.

20140625HOToucan2-1.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

They'd be brutal.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

I mean, as much as I hate insects and other similar creatures, if FE had enemies that looked like this, for example

Armogohma-Zelda-TP-Art-Render.png

I'd be all for that, ngl.

Yes, that is a Zelda boss, but I was just using it as an example.

Given that they managed to make combat rabbits a thing, I think it's fair to assume that pretty much any imaginable animal is on the table. I think I'd like to see peacocks as a support unit with equivalents to dance and rally and some sort of healing; lemurs as a speedy unit with extra combat and movement bonuses in forest tiles; and as a tank unit, either mammoths or triceratops because why the hell not?

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Also dig with it's claws, really just needs to add some way to fly now to break Sonic.

Considering the amount of times we've mentioned a certain arachnid, I'll add Scorpions, though I'm wondering would they focus on grabbing foes and stinging them or be more about running and stinging.

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Their paralogue could give them places to go. Objective: Follow their rainbow. But they've got to be careful - danger (i.e. same-turn reinforcements) is lurking around every turn. So it's a "live and learn" kind of map.

Also, seconding

11 hours ago, Yexin said:

They could do a variety of snakes: Water Mocassins, that get Pirate-like movement across water tiles; King Cobras, that inflict a "Poison Strike" effect; and Boa Constrictors, which freeze the foe in place after an attack. Hell, maybe one of the factions could be some sort of "Kingdom of Snakes".

Bat shifters could be pretty cool, too, as a type of flier that is neither a bird nor dragon. Maybe they could have an attack with the "Nosferatu" effect?

I'm kind of content with what we've had. I'd just like to see the laguz return with more variations. However, I think werewolf and vampire beast units would be super cool. For vampires give them some sort of form like the vampire lords in Skyrim, definitely has to be some sort of bat creature.