What are your 'desert island" top ten characters?

Zapp Branniglenn

If you were forced to pick 10 characters to play in Smash Bros Ultimate from now to the rest of time, who would they be? Who do you have the most fun with? These picks don't remove the other characters from the game. Your friends can still pick them when they come over, but if you try to select them the game just crashes.

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Diddy Kong: There are things I don't like about Diddy Kong. His monkey flip is inconsistent because it removes your double jump if you successfully grab somebody and clap them away. And if you decide to do the monkey flip kick, that also removes your double jump if you have not yet used it. But otherwise it's safe and certainly vital to use for recovery. I just hate when the rules change due to random seeming things, and it led to a lot of SDs when I picked him up. But otherwise this is my favorite version of Diddy Kong. He's comparatively slow and his recovery is easy to intercept, but he still has that X factor in the form of the banana. All of diddy's laggy smash attacks and trouble killing makes sense when the banana is in his hand. In Ultimate, it has more consistent rules on when it disappears, too. They finally made him not annoyingly overpowered. The person I play Smash with the most loves when I choose Diddy in doubles because that means he also gets to play with the banana. And exploding into enemies with the rocket barrels is not only hilarious but one of Diddy's most high damaging moves in general.
  2. Bowser: I played this guy a lot in Smash 4, but I agree with just about every change in Ultimate besides the new D-Tilt. It's still surprising to see a guy so big move so fast. N-air gives him new combos and kill confirms. Fortress is still great OoS, but can lose to perfect spacing, and his recovery now has a reliable hitbox against poor edgeguarding attempts. His moveset is just so well rounded now that he feels great to get serious with.
  3. Ryu: Ryu juxtaposed against this game's weird and cute characters will never not be funny to me. Especially when you die and Ryu just says "...what?". While on-hit and special cancels aren't unique to him anymore, they're still a fun way to approach the game because you need to plan out what you intend to convert any stray hit into, and the answers to what you should be pressing really come down to whether you expect your move will hit, get blocked, or miss entirely. Guessing wrong puts you in a bad position and I love the extra layer of strategy, especially when right answers lead to such hype combos and kills.
  4. Mii Brawler: I love making Miis, and I love custom moves. 
  5. Mii Swordfighter: I love making Miis, and I love custom moves.
  6. Mii Gunner: I love making Miis, and I love custom moves.
  7. Little Mac: When I feel like being a tryhard, Mac is my go to. Failing to adhere to concepts like stage control and being safe on shield has dramatic consequences when you play this guy, and I like the challenge. It feels like playing Punch Out. Plus his hit sound effects are the best in Smash
  8. Dr. Mario: I really don't like playing Mario for some reason, but when I pick Doc, suddenly it all makes sense. One of the greatest gifts Smash Ultimate has given me is the running D-Smash, and when Doc does it, it's a wonderful feeling. I think if you had a tier list of satisfying D-Smashes, it would correlate with my own tier list of favorite characters
  9. Toon Link: I'll admit that I lack the patience required of playing a hardcore zoner like Toon Link, and I hate that Young Link is just a better, more well rounded Toon Link in almost every regard. But what can I say, the little guy's design is adorable. And I love the Wshh sound his sword makes.
  10. Pikachu: Similar to Toon Link except I occasionally like winning. Pikachu is nonsensically good in this game, especially if you lack fundamentals. And his animations are so excellent I forgive them for not having the old 90s fat pikachu design that I generally think is superior.
Edited by Glennstavos

1. Yoshi - My main and my fav Mario Character

2. Wii Fit Trainer - Really fun and floaty character, weird moves and hitboxes sometimes but that's part of the fun. The soccer ball is very versatile

3. Villager - My Smash Wii U main along with Yoshi

4. Bayonetta - I voted for her and I still love her despite the controversy surrounding her

5. Pikachu - Lucha Libre Pikachu is top tier

6. Ice Climbers - My Melee mains and I swear I didn't know about the pro scene at the time and the controversy I just thought they were fun lmao

7. Incineroar - My fav Fire Starter pokemon (Torterra and Samurott are my grass and water favs)

8. Lucina - She has a Lissa alt costume so I love it

9. Pokemon Trainer - Squirtle is so fun 

10. Jigglypuff - I play Jiggly for fun sometimes but she can put in some work

1. Donkey Kong
  2. Ike
  3. King K.Rool
  4. Sheik
  5. Mii Brawler
  6. Piranha Plant
  7. Wii Fit Trainer
  8. Yoshi
  9. Dark Pit
  10. Robin

This might change depending on which characters are revealed for the rest of the second Fighter's Pass.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• 3 weeks later...

In no particular order:

1. Corrin: Ended up becoming my main for God knows what reasons. I just have fun with em. 

2. Byleth: Whenever I need to whoop somebody on my level I pull out the axe. 

3. Robin: I like Robin as a character so I'd enjoy keeping them around.

4. Donkey Kong: I like the funke monke, what can I say. 

5. Snake: Playing him against the right people is incredibly entertaining. 

6. Bowser: I like tanks. 

7. King K. Rool.: He's got a gun and a belly shield. Also he's a tank. 

8. Zelda: I really like the way she plays, as well as using magic from range after using so many tanks can confuse my opponents. 

9. Link: I like the character more than the playstyle. 

10. Young Link: My preferred Link out of the bunch.