FE1 Aum staff weapon glitch

yokokazuo

I’ve been playing through FE1 on the Famicom Switch Online and came across a really cool bug by accident with the Aum staff. With this bug I was able to get just about any weapon with unlimited uses. Gradivus, Devil Axe, a second Falchion (not exactly useful though aside from healing), I was able to get any of them and with unlimited uses!

So as for how I caused the glitch, I had forgotten that the Hammerne staff is locked to Lena and wanted to repair the Gradivus. I took the staff from convoy and gave it to Elice to use. However she cannot use it, but having the Aum staff in the inventory and no other usable staves causes the bug to happen. Since the Aum staff is only usable on one spot in Chapter 24, it normally can’t be used. But with the Hammerne and Aum staff, the ability to use Hammerne shows up when beside an ally, selecting it causes the game to glitch out a bit. When you check your inventory, the Aum staff will be replaced with a different weapon and you have two spaces empty, you will also have a silver sword. These will have 0 uses, but after combat the number will disappear and they will never break! With one open item slot, it appears that the top weapon will get a combined usage of all the items in inventory. I got a Mercurius with 85 uses for example. If the Aum staff isn’t at the top of the inventory then it can mess with how some things work a bit. I had tested this over a few days recently as I tried to figure out how this is caused and finally figured out how to get each weapon. 

One thing to note first though is that when you do the glitch, and you see the inventory, wait right there to keep the weapons, if you choose to move the game will glitch a bit and Elice will move to the far right side of the screen. You can wait or even go to the inventory and throw away the weapons, when you wait, Elice will disappear and the cursor will be bugged until you move it left and it resets to the right side of the screen 2-3 times. To select Elice again, you can select her from the unit selection or select the empty space where she started out that turn. (Not where she waited) By doing this, it will reverse the glitch and she will be back to normal with the Aum staff. If you press b when moving her during the glitch however, it can soft lock the game. 

Now onto the explanation for how to get (almost) any weapon! Horizontally, each tile represents a weapon. The first one, for example, is a silver sword. I believe this is why you always get a silver sword if the slot is open. 
From left to right the tiles are: 

1. Silver sword
  2. Iron sword
  3. Steel sword
  4. Armour Killer/Slayer
  5. Rapier
  6. Dragon Killer
  7. Killing Edge
  8. Mercurius
  9. Thunder sword
  10. Devil sword
  11. Falchion
  12. Lance
  13. Knight Killer
  14. Silver Lance
  15. Javelin
  16. Gradivus
  17. Bow
  18. Steel Bow
  19. Bow gun 
  20. Silver Bow
  21. Parthia
  22. Quick Rain/Arrowspate
  23. Stonehedge/Hoist
  24. Fire Gun
  25. Thunderbolt
  26. Elephant/Pachyderm
  27. Axe
  28. Steel Axe
  29. Hammer
  30. Devil Axe

So all you need are Elice with just the Aum and Hammerne staves and someone nearby to “use” the Hammerne. Wait on the numbered tile, vertical placement does not matter, and when the glitch is activated, wait in place or trade to the unit you are next to. You should have the Hammerne staff, a 0 use weapon for the tile and a 0 use silver sword! Once used in combat these will never break! 

F253D97F-57A3-45D1-A298-F0E6B379D019.jpeg

30555C61-B8F1-4547-B5DD-D1F34E876909.jpeg

F836AC78-8F93-4FDD-A970-AD74A4A06F3E.jpeg

Neat. Though there's only two chapters left and by this point you should have more than enough money to buy stat boosters to max the stats of all your units and mop the floor with the final two maps anyway. And Hammerne already has 12 uses which combined with the Star Sphere is really more than enough for any weapon in the game. So yeah, I'll say neat, but not all that useful.

Edited by Jotari

Yeah, it unfortunately isn’t too useful, but can still be used for weapons like the Gradivus. Forgot to switch mine out and got down to 1 use. It’s how I discovered the glitch, but I learned in the next chapter that Hammerne doesn’t work on it... The final chapter wasn’t exactly very hard anyways though. 

For fun I gave Barst an infinite Devil Axe for the chapter though, only thing is I couldn’t get it to him right away due to not being able to change inventories before battle...