So I beat Awakening Lunatic after revisiting in 2020

beachwalks

How's it going Serenes Forest I posted on this forum about Conquest where I wanted to talk about revisiting the game since it was the second game I played in the series. I need something to do in the meantime during the election tallying today and I recently revisited Awakening since it was my first Fire Emblem game. I never attempted lunatic back then on either game since I had no idea what I was doing, and now I am more seasoned overall. Despite that I still played really badly imo and I'll explain why in a bit. I'm really into optimization and trying new builds so I wanted to go over what I did, and what I could possibly do next time since I'm really no expert at this game.

My thought process was some parents I wanted then ditch em for the kids (except F!Robin x Chrom). My pairings were: 

F!MU Def+ Luck- x Chrom, rushed MU to dark flier at level 15 for Galeforce 

Sumia x Fredrick: Figured that Cynthia would get some strength and defense in a pretty early and quick pairing with Fred

Cordelia x Donnel: Originally gonna be Cordelia x Lonqu for hero Severa with swordfaire, but Donnel had much better stats and I was worried that Severa might be anemic due to Lonqu's eh str level ups, thought she could be a zerker but found later that zerker is male exclusive and donny couldnt pass zerker on anyway.

Nowi x Gregor: Easy support, Nah could get sol and I saw that Nah could get sol. I do question how good Nah is though, her paralogue is BRUTAL and by the point I could beat it Nah's level was too far behind to really be good.

No kids were married, Morgan and Lucina teamed up as sorcerer and grandmaster respectively, Fredrick stopped being able to kill things at around chapter 13 so after Cynthia was recruited she and Cynthia paired up a galeforce falcon knights, Nah never took off so Gregor and Nowi stayed paired, Gregor never made it past level 5 hero and Nowi was a manakete until about level 17 and then became a wyvern. 

Donny and Cordelia were the worst played: Besides the fact I probably shouldn't have used him, I shouldn't have reclassed Donny into a fighter and instead gone through mercenary and promote to hero. Instead I went fighter than Mercenary, so his stats were capped for far too long. As for Cordelia her promotion got delayed late enough so that she could not reach galeforce in time, therefore I gave up on trying to use Severa. Overall, any unit that was not MU, Morgan, or Lucina couldn't really survive an enemy phase lategame. Cynthia and Sumia were able to put in work with effective weapons and galeforce on player phase, but around walhart's chapters I mostly just used galeforce and rescue strats to finsih the maps quickly. 

I know that there are more effective ways I probably could have rationed exp even with trying to rush robin to get galeforce before lucina's chapter, and I possbily could have used other characters. Are there any lunatic characters I should try out? I know that stahl is apparently a really good father but the base stats are an issue, and vaike actually had promising strength but I had to use him as a pair-up bot to baby Donny. I saw something about panne getting great stat bonuses as a wyvern after second sealing, but I didn't have a second seal available at the time or even a pair up partner I wanted for her. I really do want to try out a swordmaster severa build with armsthrift, sol, swordfaire, galeforce, and vantage with the amatsu just for fun.

As for the general gameplay, I really prefer the dual guard system in Fates. It's just much easier to engineer consistently, far too often the stats of the enemies required me to get two dual strikes to kill them late game and early game an untimely dual strike would cost some exp for a unit i was trying to raise. I also couldnt rely on a dual guard at all which sucks, and I did end up going with just the broken magic spam route. Regardless, this game does have a charm as a sandbox kind of game even if mechanically it is broken, so while conquest is much better imo I still enjoyed the overall experience. Now if only hackforge risen would stop spawning on the tonic/nosferatu stores...

I have beating Awakening Lunatic on my bucket list of things to do. So from what I kind of know and what you said, +Def Robin is really good, and Nosferatu is cheese. How did you go about your reclassing? Just second seal Robin into pegasus as soon as you get the first second seal. Then you pretty much only use a few units so that they can keep up with the enemies. From the no grind Hard mode run I was doing, Nowi and Panne definitely fell off because everything was promoted, and it took too long for the +stones to show up, so reclassing them is the best thing to do, I see.

Anyway congrats.

Edited by LoneStar