Would Miracle be a better skill if it had a 100% activation rate (but it only activates once per map)?

Jotari

So Miracle is seen as a pretty crappy skill in most Fire Emblem games given it's a proc based skill that works against a lethal blow. Meaning if you ever see it, it means you've probably messed up and also gotten really lucky. But what if it had a 100% activation rate but could only proc once per map? That'd make it much more useful as it's something you can depend on...but would that also make it way to cheap and abusable?

It should be like in Code Name S.T.E.A.M, where you would still be left with 1 HP from a lethal blow if you were at 25%+ before the attack.

Or like in Berwick Saga where it's a reroll with enemy accuracy lowered by 10%.

i think it would be better simply if it could still proc even if you already are at 1 HP? if you get a, um, miracle of it proccing twice in a row then good for you

100% once per map is fine too - it could be more like (1 + luck/12) times per map rounded down to reward having high luck

Once per map or phase sounds great; reducing some of the chance involved in skills like this one sounds like a great idea overall. In fact, perhaps this could be done for other skills as well?

For example, perhaps Aegis and Pavise could be made passive instead of proc-based, with a weakness perhaps being that they don't protect against effective damage (i.e. weapons like hammers and armorslayers would still do full damage)? 

7 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

For example, perhaps Aegis and Pavise could be made passive instead of proc-based, with a weakness perhaps being that they don't protect against effective damage (i.e. weapons like hammers and armorslayers would still do full damage)? 

Personally, I feel that Aegise should work like Fates' Shield guage. I also prefer (mostly) non-proc skills, and Fates' pai-up was really cool.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

So Miracle is seen as a pretty crappy skill in most Fire Emblem games given it's a proc based skill that works against a lethal blow. Meaning if you ever see it, it means you've probably messed up and also gotten really lucky. But what if it had a 100% activation rate but could only proc once per map? That'd make it much more useful as it's something you can depend on...but would that also make it way to cheap and abusable?

I see three ways to make it work:

1) It activates once per map, guaranteed. It can trigger at 1 HP, so long as it hasn't already. On units with multiple health bars, it will only activate on the last one.

2) It can activate multiple times per map (at 100% odds), under the following circumstances: HP > 1, and the Miracle unit has higher Luck than their attacker.

3) It can activate multiple times per map, (at 100% odds), under the following circumstances: HP > 1, and HP < Luck stat of Miracle unit.

The first one is the simplest, as it works like Blessing. 2 and 3, though, incorporate the Luck stat, while making it deterministic. 

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I would change them in the following manner: a) they activate only on enemy phase, 100% of the time, and b) they reduce damage received by 20% of the unit's Skill, rounded up (rather than half), with a damage floor of 1.

Honestly just generally having it be consistently activated in any way would make it better. The main issue with stuff like Miracle and other activation skills is that you can't rely on them in any way, they're always either an inconsistent safety net or a second crit chance. Hence why the weapon skill system and Fates' Dual Guard system end up being way more consistently impactful and useful during gameplay.

As for what to do with Miracle itself, honestly I think putting it on a cooldown or something would be best. Like, 4 or 5 turn cooldown. Every turn would make it pretty easy to choke a point with just a defenseless healer, but once per map would be a little underwhelming imo. Having it be a consistent option, but one that you can't really spam, would definitely be cool.

as much as i like %-based skills in FE, Miracle has indeed always been a pretty crappy skill, simply because IMO being sure that your unit's gonna survive the next hit is much more important than being sure your unit's gonna one-shot the targeted enemy: when a skill randomly activates, that's simply an unexpected yet welcomed bonus, you usually don't plan your strategy out relying too much on %-based skills, and even if you do, you generally have a B plan, but you can't do this with Miracle

so yeah, i like this new effect, but i doubt we'll ever see this change actually happening #BringOldMiracleBack

Edited by Yexin

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

but would that also make it way to cheap and abusable?

Once per map is far from cheap, since if said character is attacked by multiple enemies at once means theres still chance to die. Dunno how to abuse it , unless you can actually assigned that skill to everyone. So just make it limited skill, or something innate from 1 or two character that are too important to die, but not someone who is a powerhouse already. (to avoid one-man-army situation)

To further add some kind of balance, this skill would act like something of Last-something (last leg, last standing, last lives,.. you named it) like in other games and left you with 1 HP after fatal blow. So next hit can kill you if you dont heal fast enough

I think it would've been nice if miracle shows if it will proc before a battle.  Like every turn the game rolls to see if Miracle will activate in the next battle or something like that.  That way it can at least be planned while still relying on rng.

Another option is to have it guaranteed activation, but only if the killing blow reduces the unit from over half their HP to zero. I think that's what the Sacred Stones skill patch uses. That one's nice as it plays more in to how the skill is usually presented. Namely to protect units that are otherwise pretty flimsy like Clerics. It'd give them reliable safety bulk (as they'll probably always be going down from full HP to death), without letting it be abusable by tanks (though it could still be good in some situations where you're going up against effective damage).