[SRPG Studio] Bohemian Revolt (V1)

Saint Rubenio

Hello! I'm Saint Rubenio, and I recently got my hands on SRPG Studio. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been messing around with the engine, and I've made a bit of a thing. Don't expect anything too impressive, this is just a little project I've been doing for fun. If you've got an hour or two to play through a handful of chapters, I'd appreciate the feedback.

This is very much a W.I.P. Currently, there's four chapters: 1, 2 and two versions of 3. At the moment, completing one of the versions of chapter 3 will lead to the alternate map, but in the future it'll be a proper route split. I'm not sure how far I'll go with this, but it probably won't be too long a game.

Synopsis:

Spoiler

Three years ago, Elaine, the youngest heir of the Kingdom of Bohemia, was branded a traitor and seemingly killed. However, rumors began to spread that she had survived, and was hiding in the neighbouring country of Merlock. Those rumors are about to be proven correct, as the princess, alongside a small retinue of loyal knights, have returned to bring down the corrupt royal family of Bohemia. Will she be able to change Bohemia for the better, or will she fall once and for all? Only time will tell...

Screenshots:

Spoiler
Ubza6xqz o

Ixxmy8uq o

8bd6m2l5 o

8lrn8a2s o

Special thanks to SapphireSoft for creating SRPG Studio and Kazuaki Morita, Berwick Saga's portrait artist, for making the art that I shamelessly stole for this little game.

DOWNLOAD LINK (V1)

(F4 for fullscreen)

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

I can't seem to run the game.exe file, is there a specific launcher that is needed?

No, you just open game.exe and the game starts. It works on my end. I've heard SRPG Studio doesn't really work on Linux, though, maybe that's the problem?

30 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, you just open game.exe and the game starts. It works on my end. I've heard SRPG Studio doesn't really work on Linux, though, maybe that's the problem?

nope i dont use linux. oh well, good luck with tha project anyway. 

Just now, Pengaius said:

nope i dont use linux. oh well, good luck with tha project anyway. 

Did you try running the game from the RAR file, or split up the game files into different locations? I imagine doing either of those things would mess with things. I can't come up with anything beyond that, I'm afraid.

So i played the first 2 Maps! Some feedback!

First Map: Boss has too much HP for first map. Otherwise pretty good first map

2nd Map: Why so many reinforcements? Maybe make them appear every 2nd turn instead of every turn? Or switch them up, like top one on even turns and bottom one on uneven turns, etc.

I started 3rd map and when i saw Assassins + Forest i knew i am about to head into RNG fest so i will leave that for later. Really should've selected the other choice XD

Generally:

• Maybe increase AS difference needed to double to 4 or 5? 1AS difference to double is way too low, and makes the reinforcements a bit of a hell since they can double alot of your units with their 9 AS. High speed also leads them to having high avo which leads me to 2nd point
  • Increase the hitrates of some weapons a bit. Especially since this game uses 1RN.
  • Enemies also need a Def and/or HP decrease. I don't mind their offense much, but they are kinda too tanky imo.
  • Loved the Volcens edit haha

That's my feedback for now. Keep up the good work! 

Edited by Shrimperor

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

So i played the first 2 Maps! Some feedback!

First Map: Boss has too much HP for first map. Otherwise pretty good first map

2nd Map: Why so many reinforcements? Maybe makes them appear every 2nd turn instead of every turn? Or switch them up, like top one on even turns and bottom one on uneven turns, etc.

I started 3rd map and when i saw Assassins + Forest i knew i am about to head into RNG fest so i will leave that for later. Really should've selected the other choice XD

Generally:

• Maybe increase AS difference needed to double to 4 or 5? 1AS difference to double is way too low, and makes the can reinforcements a bit to hell since they can double alot of your units with their 9 AS. High speed also leads them to having high avo which leads me to 2nd point
  • Increase the hitrates of some weapons a bit. Especially since this game uses 1RN.
  • Enemies also need a Def and/or HP decrease. I don't mind their offense much, but they are kinda too tanky imo.

That's my feedback for now. Keep up the good work! 

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll be sure to take these suggestions into consideration. I agree that I may've gotten carried away with the defense of the knights and cavaliers. To think, I enjoyed FE12 precisely because the enemies aren't too tanky... For shame, me!

(Incidentally, I intended to change the doubling threshold to 3 AS, but... I must've forgotten to save, because I just checked and you're right, it's back to 1. Whoops!)

Played the first two chapters and started on the Ch.3A.

• Shrimpy mentions that the boss of Ch.1 has too much HP. Not sure if he was referring to the mount or the bandit in the fort but the later is trivialized by the fact that Elaine has a 1-3 range prf. Actually, she was able to fight the boss of Ch.2 with no consequence. What i'm saying is that the prf seems a bit too busted.
  • Most of the player units are way too squishy. Most of them deal pathetic damage while taking a lot of damage in return. I noticed this a lot with the cavalier spam in Ch.2, something which could also be toned down a bit. I'd prefer you buff up the units at least a bit tho.
    • Not sure if you plan on adding difficulty settings, maybe this early build was designed with a higher difficulty in mind since that is what you like.
  • I know Ch.3A is supposed to be a forest map but maybe make that an aesthetic choice instead of forcing me to go through a bunch of forest tiles because as it is, that's pretty annoying. Not to mention that the game uses 1 RN and that first enemy unit in the map had me going like

IMG_20201108_003858_1.jpg?width=445&heig

Lastly, just wanna know if you plan to incorporate five turn saves.

I'll be looking forward to the finished product, whenever that may be.

Edited by Armagon

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Played the first two chapters and started on the Ch.3A.

• Shrimpy mentions that the boss of Ch.1 has too much HP. Not sure if he was referring to the mount or the bandit in the fort but the later is trivialized by the fact that Elaine has a 1-3 range prf. Actually, she was able to fight the boss of Ch.2 with no consequence. What i'm saying is that the prf seems a bit too busted.
  • Most of the player units are way too squishy. Most of them deal pathetic damage while taking a lot of damage in return. I noticed this a lot with the cavalier spam in Ch.2, something which could also be toned down a bit. I'd prefer you buff up the units at least a bit tho.
    • Not sure if you plan on adding difficulty settings, maybe this early build was designed with a higher difficulty in mind since that is what you like.
  • I know Ch.3A is supposed to be a forest map but maybe make that an aesthetic choice instead of forcing me to go through a bunch of forest tiles because as it is, that's pretty annoying. Not to mention that the game uses 1 RN and that first enemy unit in the map had me going like

IMG_20201108_003858_1.jpg?width=445&heig

Thanks for the tips. For 3A, I thought the big clearing in the middle would be enough to alleviate the tedium. The problem is that I intended for the forest to slow down the enemies as well. I'll have to see what I can do. Perhaps I can create a couple of openings here and there.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Lastly, just wanna know if you plan to incorporate five turn saves.

Actually, I'd rather like to implement DSFE-style map saves. Shouldn't be too hard, I just have to find / create an appropriate tile for them.